•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * * * 1 votes

LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

652 replies to this topic

#1 avinny116

avinny116
    • 2 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hello All,

I just got an email from the LIRR for the Locomotive engineer trainee position. Can any one give any information/ tips of what i need to know. Also what i Should expect to get this position?

Regards,

Vinny

#2 PolymechieAlum

PolymechieAlum
    • 3 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey vinny, was the email an invitation for an interview? I'm curious because I applied on the 17th, but I haven't heard from them thus far..I was under the impression that it usually takes a few months before getting a reply.

#3 LIRR 154

LIRR 154
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 533 posts
    • LocationQueens

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hello All,
    I just got an email from the LIRR for the Locomotive engineer trainee position. Can any one give any information/ tips of what i need to know. Also what i Should expect to get this position?

Regards,

Vinny

Expect the unexpected and its a long road to get into just the beginning. If you don't have great study habits don't waste your time. Good Luck with the entrance exam and be specific when filling out the application. Don't leave nothing out.

#4 LIRR 154

LIRR 154
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 533 posts
    • LocationQueens

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hey vinny, was the email an invitation for an interview? I'm curious because I applied on the 17th, but I haven't heard from them thus far..I was under the impression that it usually takes a few months before getting a reply.

The email is an invitation to the open house. You have to pass the entrance cognitive test before you are ask for an interview. They don't invite all applicants. But also check your garbage mailbox

#5 my923ksl

my923ksl
    • Pip
    • 38 posts
    • Locationtown of islip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

was this from the sept 17th posting? as i applied also and didn't hear anything (what else is new). i've been applying to every posting they give for any position they have and have never been replied to for anything

#6 PolymechieAlum

PolymechieAlum
    • 3 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hey vinny, hope you don't mind me asking what your background is. I'd like to get an idea as to who the LIRR draws from its applicant pool. 

@ LIRR 154: Stupid question(s), but is the open house invitation only for select applicants or is it open to everyone and if you have not received an invitation yet, is that an indication that you will not be given the chance to take the entrance exam either? Closing date is tomorrow, I wish they would just tell you people if they have not been selected like everyone else instead of making them linger in doubt...Thanks in advance, clearly I do not take rejection well...

#7 LIRR 154

LIRR 154
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 533 posts
    • LocationQueens

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hey vinny, hope you don't mind me asking what your background is. I'd like to get an idea as to who the LIRR draws from its applicant pool. 

@ LIRR 154: Stupid question(s), but is the open house invitation only for select applicants or is it open to everyone and if you have not received an invitation yet, is that an indication that you will not be given the chance to take the entrance exam either? Closing date is tomorrow, I wish they would just tell you people if they have not been selected like everyone else instead of making them linger in doubt...Thanks in advance, clearly I do not take rejection well...

Open house is for applicants invited only. Chances are you might not have been chosen. But I read your thread in the other RR.net forum and you seem you have a good background as far as education goes. I would keep applying to other positions as well as electrical engineering positions. Not everybody including myself got in the RR first try. Just keep applying and good luck.

#8 LIRR 154

LIRR 154
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 533 posts
    • LocationQueens

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

People who have worked in jobs that run 24/7 ,weekends and holidays are what the RR is attracted too. A majority including myself came from the airline industry. Locomotive Engineer is not a job for everybody that goes for any job in the RR. If you are a young guy who enjoys weekends with your friends or holidays with your family is very important to you. The RR isn't for you. Social life doesn't exist at the RR . Now IT jobs and most Engineering jobs run differently where its a likely a Mon-Fri schedule.Just some things to think about.

#9 PolymechieAlum

PolymechieAlum
    • 3 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

@ LIRR 154: I feared as much, just wanted to confirm my suspicions. As far as the lifestyle goes, I definitely prefer something more erratic, as you have suggested with most jobs in the RR and social life, at least for now is secondary to a well paying job...all in all this culture seems quite attractive especially for younger people who do not have many personal commitments. Nonetheless, thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions. 

Polymechie

#10 my923ksl

my923ksl
    • Pip
    • 38 posts
    • Locationtown of islip

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

yeah if those that applied are already being called then i pretty much feel screwed already. my background without going into to much detail is a bachelors degree/5+yrs management experience/currently employed with  nyc transit as a train operator/perfect criminal and ticket record/perfect credit/trade skills in construction, carpentry, auto repair, and i'm a minority.  so for anyone that thinks they don't have preferential treatment for whoever is sadly mistaken (so far as my experience has been).

i have been applying for over 3 years and have never even been invited to open house/initial test, easily over 10 applications for all types of positions.