Shocking anti-Islam ad campaign coming to MTA buses, subway stations

Harry

post-5097-0-10080600-1411217668_thumb.jpg
An incendiary ad campaign that includes an image of American journalist James Foley just before his beheading in Syria is coming to 100 MTA buses and two subway stations. The ads, paid for by flame-throwing blogger Pamela Geller, at a cost of $100,000, are intended as an “education campaign” to warn of the “problem with jihad” and Islamic sharia law, Geller said. In one of the placard ads, Foley appears handcuffed, on his knees, next to the hooded, black-clad jihadist who is about to execute him — an image from the video released by the group Islamic State, which boasted of the execution.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-10080600-1411217668_thumb.jpg

One thing about Geller and her disgusting hate group's tactics are how they're fighting hate with hate. She's using cheap shock tactics to incite volatility and fear against the Muslims in this city and provoke Islamophobia. Ads like these aid the Islamophobia in this country and consequently make the Muslims in this city and country feel more and more isolated.

To make her campaign more vile, she's using the image of James Foley before he was murdered to sell that message. That does nothing but heighten the grief his family's in and prove to the Southern Poverty Law Center how hateful Geller and her ilk truly are.

The MTA had huge problems with Pamela Geller before where she was pushing for outrageous ads on Islamist extremism in 2012 as we all can recall. She claimed that it was to educate Muslims, which is really bullshit. Unfortunately after the MTA took her to court, the judges concluded that it was 'a violation of free speech'. So this time around expect these ads to be displayed inside the subway system and also on buses unless the MTA can think of a winning legal stragedy to stop her in her tracks.

She seems more extremist than anything, and the MTA is in no way interested in tarnishing its public image.

She claimed that it was to educate Muslims, which is really bullshit.

A Jew educating a Muslim will go over really well. /s

::hands clasped in prayer:: That said, if you are an extremist Muslim, please spare the rest of us. We hate Geller too.

I mean I am not implying that her being Jewish that in itself explains her ridiculous behavior. I've had excellent relationships in my experience as a consultant, in part providing business solutions to businesses in the Brooklyn Hasidic community, they are faithful to their religious beliefs and I respect that in regards to their traditional customs passed on through generations. But this woman is way out of line here by even bringing Hitler into the picture and comparing a demonic monster like the former German Nazi leader to Muslims. Then have the audacity to claim that she is 'educating Muslims'. Disgusting.

Its clear the the reason the MTA sued Geller in 2012 was because they refuse to promote racist propaganda on their billboards. I think thats what I really wanted to say.

Now this psycho is going way out of line here. I hope these agencies can fight her off. We dont need inflammatory propaganda like this posted on the billboards in the subway.

There shouldn't be any racism absolutely, but as long as there is hate speech like it or not it's free speech. A public agency like the MTA cannot restrict someone's first amendment rights on their property, whether it's advertising, street preachers or anything. Not saying she's right, but from a Constitutional point of view it's her right. And just like when we see any other crazy nutjob on the street trying to spew some BS at us, it's also our right to ignore it and walk on

There shouldn't be any racism absolutely, but as long as there is hate speech like it or not it's free speech. A public agency like the MTA cannot restrict someone's first amendment rights on their property, whether it's advertising, street preachers or anything. Not saying she's right, but from a Constitutional point of view it's her right. And just like when we see any other crazy nutjob on the street trying to spew some BS at us, it's also our right to ignore it and walk on.

So you actually are excusing Geller for her actions?

The messages are flawed! What she is saying essentially is that all Muslims are terrorists! Thats an attack on religion!

Seems more like the ruling protects and condones hate speech and not the rights of Muslims who are clearly offended by this! Thats not American justice...

We cannot say that the American justice system is perfect in their laws written into the constitution to the benefit of its people. However in other countries they are in fact intensely interested in protecting people from such harmful propaganda that spreads false stereotypes based on a persons race or religion. Lets take Britain for example. If someone was to spread propaganda like that on the London Underground, they will be arrested on the spot. Very contrary to American law which actually protects the rights of white supremacists who border on domestic terrorism all the time. We need laws like this in place here in this country. Free speech and vile hate speech attacking a persons race or religion are obviously two different things.

The messages are flawed! What she is saying essentially is that all Muslims are terrorists! Thats an attack on religion!

Seems more like the ruling protects and condones hate speech and not the rights of Muslims who are clearly offended by this! Thats not American justice...

No, I'm not. Read it again.

I don't care what it's an attack on. In the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA we have the 1st Amendment. If the MTA would deny some liberal organization their right to put a controversial ad up everyone would be up in arms saying it's their right, and they'd sue the MTA too which they'd be right to. Well under the 1st Amendment it's her right to put up a controversial ad as well. The 1st Amendment applies to everyone and every opinion in our nation. Does it make her opinions right? No. But the 1st Amendment is one of the most beautiful things about our Constitution, it allows anyone, no matter how controversial or wrong their ideas are, to speak their mind freely. Again, there's hate speech coming from nutjobs on the street that we just walk by and ignore, so we can walk on and ignore her sh*t too.

Clearly many over the years the bigots have learned to use this flawed argument of free speech to oppress the ones who are actually endorsing free speech and the truth. You must realize that.

Note that even City Hall does not agree with this if you are seeking political validation for this because you will have a hard time doing so. To quote Bill DeBlasio:

"These ads are outrageous, inflammatory and wrong, and have no place in New York City, or anywhere. These hateful messages serve only to divide and stigmatize when we should be coming together as one city. While those behind these ads only display their irresponsible intolerance, the rest of us who may be forced to view them can take comfort in the knowledge that we share a better, loftier and nobier view of humanity."

Despite my previous comment, Geller does have a right to spew hate. Everyone has a right to piss people off. They just have to be ready to face the consequences.

Clearly many over the years the bigots have learned to use this flawed argument of free speech to oppress the ones who are actually endorsing free speech and the truth. You must realize that.

Note that even City Hall does not agree with this if you are seeking political validation for this because you will have a hard time doing so. To quote Bill DeBlasio:

"These ads are outrageous, inflammatory and wrong, and have no place in New York City, or anywhere. These hateful messages serve only to divide and stigmatize when we should be coming together as one city. While those behind these ads only display their irresponsible intolerance, the rest of us who may be forced to view them can take comfort in the knowledge that we share a better, loftier and nobier view of humanity."

Even if City Hall does not agree, it does not mean it's illegal. There are things that the government (enforcers of the law) does that is also illegal. It's not a valid argument to support your claim that bigots cannot exercise the "freedom of speech."

Freedom of Speech extends only so far that you do not directly incite others to violate the rights and freedoms of others. We can disagree all we want, but the courts seem to have decided that her ads toe that line as they do not say things like "let's go attack people X" or whatnot. 

As others have posted, you can ignore this loudmouth's ads or get riled up by them (which is precisely what she wants). As long as she keeps getting media attention for the ads, she will keep paying for them. 

Even if City Hall does not agree, it does not mean it's illegal. There are things that the government (enforcers of the law) does that is also illegal. It's not a valid argument to support your claim that bigots cannot exercise the "freedom of speech."

Then the constitutional laws should be rewritten to reflect the enforcement of anti bias laws, as many European countries have done. In Britain: Want to talk using racial epithats? Hate speech? They will arrest you. Wanna talk about neo-Nazi initiatives? You will be arrested.The political will of course is lacking. That said see the ethical implications of what is truely hate speech and simply making a truthful point in regards to the constitutional right to free speech vs racist ideology or bias based on someones religion. Such as in this case defaming Islam, where most of the clerics actually condems the actions of ISIS or Al Quada, whose thinking does not support the Koran.

Well the same goes for Geller as it does not support true Jewish ideology based on religious concepts and tradition. Trust me many Jewish rabbis are staunch opposed to her idea of foriegn relations on 'Islamorealism'. Another poster of Jewish decent made that abundantly clear for everyone and I took note of that point.

Despite my previous comment, Geller does have a right to spew hate. Everyone has a right to piss people off. They just have to be ready to face the consequences.

Money is what decides all things for better or worse. Thats Geller's playing card.

Then the constitutional laws should be rewritten to reflect the enforcement of anti bias laws, as many European countries have done. In Britain: Want to talk using racial epithats? Hate speech? They will arrest you. Wanna talk about neo-Nazi initiatives? You will be arrested.The political will of course is lacking. That said see the ethical implications of what is truely hate speech and simply making a truthful point in regards to the constitutional right to free speech vs racist ideology or bias based on someones religion. Such as in this case defaming Islam, where most of the clerics actually condems the actions of ISIS or Al Quada, whose thinking does not support the Koran.

Well the same goes for Geller as it does not support true Jewish ideology based on religious concepts and tradition. Trust me many Jewish rabbis are staunch opposed to her idea of foriegn relations on 'Islamorealism'. Another poster of Jewish decent made that abundantly clear for everyone and I took note of that point.

Money is what decides all things for better or worse. Thats Geller's playing card.

The first amendment still trumps any crackdown on speech. Besides banning hate speech hasn't stopped ultra right wing parties from getting footholds in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

all I'm going to say that it's shocking the (MTA) would allow this kind of advertising on their buses. how many Muslims are in this city right now and how many of them take the bus? this is something I see all the time on Fox News. incredible....

No, I'm not. Read it again.

I don't care what it's an attack on. In the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA we have the 1st Amendment. If the MTA would deny some liberal organization their right to put a controversial ad up everyone would be up in arms saying it's their right, and they'd sue the MTA too which they'd be right to. Well under the 1st Amendment it's her right to put up a controversial ad as well. The 1st Amendment applies to everyone and every opinion in our nation. Does it make her opinions right? No. But the 1st Amendment is one of the most beautiful things about our Constitution, it allows anyone, no matter how controversial or wrong their ideas are, to speak their mind freely. Again, there's hate speech coming from nutjobs on the street that we just walk by and ignore, so we can walk on and ignore her sh*t too.

Funny you bring this up. There was a Christian religious radio group advertising end of the world stuff on the side of NJ Transit MCIs and a few made their way inside some of the RTS Nova buses I used to drive at Community Coach a few years back. Of course we all lived after their "advertised" expiration date of Planet Earth. I've learned to pay no attention to those ads. Just as bad as the supermarket tabloids, smh

No hate speech means no free speech. Under the first amendment this lady has 100% right to do so, and anything stopping her is unconstitutional.

I appreciate your quoting my post (bumping it) with no comment. Would you like to leave a comment along with that?

It would be most helpful...

I think it's a sign of agreement

Archived