D Trains at 34 Street-Herald Square

ConcourseExp

Did anyone noticed that the D Trains that are coming from 34 Street-Herald Square are not even full and people have been taking the 4 Train 161 Street from Atlantic Aveune to continue service?

Probably because the (4) is quicker I'd assume. I don't understand the question.

Tell you the truth, having lived in the Bronx, as well as Brooklyn, either way still taking the D at times,  the 4 often gets way more crowded then the D in Brooklyn and the Bronx alike which is pretty strange if you ask me. Say on the PM rush and well really before that the 4 by 125th Street is truly crushloaded where you have no choice but to shove your way in. So I preferred jumping on the D, much better as at least I can get some standee space.

The N in Brooklyn many times is more delayed on 4th Avenue then the D. If I was coming from downtown Manhattan via the R and wish to transfer at Alantic Ave the D trains are bunched up. Many times up to 3 Coney Island bound D trains will pass by with no N in sight.

Everyone going southbound from the Bronx usually departs the D train at 59th Street/Columbus Circle, 47-50th,or 42nd Street. It makes sense as the D does not serve lower Manhattan (It goes to Chinatown then over the bridge)  7th Avenue on the D is usually very busy during rush hours too. Thats why the 4 is more crowded since it does serve lower Manhattan.

Lets also note the (D) uses R68s, one of the MTA's few 75 ft cars in the system. I wouldn't blame riders for using the (4) because of the lack of extra pair of doors needed on the 75 footers. As for Herald Square service, I would take the (4) to 42 Street and take the (6) one stop to 33 Street and either use the M34 or walk to Herald Square. Or, as RollOver pointed out, use the (N) or (Q) trains instead and transfer at Atlantic Avenue.

Lets also note the (D) uses R68s, one of the MTA's few 75 ft cars in the system. I wouldn't blame riders for using the (4) because of the lack of extra pair of doors needed on the 75 footers. As for Herald Square service, I would take the (4) to 42 Street and take the (6) one stop to 33 Street and either use the M34 or walk to Herald Square. Or, as RollOver pointed out, use the (N) or (Q) trains instead and transfer at Atlantic Avenue.

Why would the riders care, or even notice for that matter, that there are less doors?

Yes it would technically if it had five sets of doors, then the current capacity problem with 75 foot cars will be eliminated. Having 60' cars will also have the same effect. Either way more doors thereby improving dwell times and service overall. Speaking of which it will be interesting to see how the MTA will finalize the design on the R211s. Currently they are opting for 60' cars for this reason having to do with station idle times. But say if they create a 75' car with 5 doors as a 8 car set, it will meet the same purpose as a 60' car with 4 doors in a ten car set.

I remember when going to Bronx Science back in high school, most students would take the (4) to/from school rather than the (D). At the end of the school day, the Manhattan Bound (4) would already be packed by the time it reached Kingsbridge Road, because students from Bronx Science and DeWitt Clinton would be on the train already. I would only take the (D) sometimes if I didn't want to deal with the students (or animals, if you prefer) of DeWitt Clinton, but most of the time, I took the (4) just like my fellow students. The (4) would probably be packed by 149th while the (D) would remain relatively empty until Columbus Circle.

The (D) is further away from both schools and is underground, making it way too hot during the warm months. Also, more kids lived on the East Side and Queens rather than the west side, making the (4) a much more viable option than the (D). I would guess that the same is true with commuters. Not to mention that nowadays, the (4) is above ground in the Bronx (allowing people to play on their phones) and has countdown clocks, which make it more convenient than the (D). Getting to the (D) also requires climbing up a hill onto Grand Concourse, which nobody feels like doing, and there is also the simple fact that the (4) is faster than the (D). The (D) might have larger cars as well as a higher potential for seats but I don't think you're going to convince any regular (4) commuter to start hopping on the (D)

I remember when going to Bronx Science back in high school, most students would take the (4) to/from school rather than the (D). At the end of the school day, the Manhattan Bound (4) would already be packed by the time it reached Kingsbridge Road, because students from Bronx Science and DeWitt Clinton would be on the train already. I would only take the (D) sometimes if I didn't want to deal with the students (or animals, if you prefer) of DeWitt Clinton, but most of the time, I took the (4) just like my fellow students. The (4) would probably be packed by 149th while the (D) would remain relatively empty until Columbus Circle.

The (D) is further away from both schools and is underground, making it way too hot during the warm months. Also, more kids lived on the East Side and Queens rather than the west side, making the (4) a much more viable option than the (D). I would guess that the same is true with commuters. Not to mention that nowadays, the (4) is above ground in the Bronx (allowing people to play on their phones) and has countdown clocks, which make it more convenient than the (D). Getting to the (D) also requires climbing up a hill onto Grand Concourse, which nobody feels like doing, and there is also the simple fact that the (4) is faster than the (D). The (D) might have larger cars as well as a higher potential for seats but I don't think you're going to convince any regular (4) commuter to start hopping on the (D)

Yup. People these days just love their smartphones.

I hope R179s can get celluar service. And also upgrades to the R188.

Even if the cars were small, the B Trains have R68A cars and have better spaces between each other. 4 Trains always have to stop at 167 Street and see if the trains are going express to Tremont Aveune.

Also I like that idea of R179/R188 cellular idea but 7 Trains don't have it and I hope that they better put Wi-Fi on them because people have to talk to others.

34th St is a high turnover station for people boarding in the Bronx.  The train gets quite full again by West 4th and Broadway-Lafayette. This weekend it's the only express (out of the D, Q, N and R) between Brooklyn & Manhattan so it will get even heavier loads from people including me who will avoid the Montague St tunnel at all costs.

Yeah I always prefer the (4) over the (D) as well, mainly because it's more frequent and has countdown clocks, not to mention the stations are little cleaner and newer.  The (D) train stations in Manhattan are pretty nasty.  34th street has a disgusting odor, and 47th-50 smells of piss towards the end of the platform.  Bryant Park is tolerable since since it's a bit newer but the rest of the stations are the pits.  The ones in Southern Brooklyn were redone but are really sterile looking.

34th St is a high turnover station for people boarding in the Bronx.  The train gets quite full again by West 4th and Broadway-Lafayette. This weekend it's the only express (out of the D, Q, N and R) between Brooklyn & Manhattan so it will get even heavier loads from people including me who will avoid the Montague St tunnel at all costs.

Nailed it.... This is more or less what I was going to say, upon reading the OP.....

To sum it up, 34th st./6th av area is Fordham road & Harlem, 125th st combined, on steroids...

These are people taking that ride to manhattan to go shopping...

To me, it's comparable to the Staten Islanders that tend to not venture north of union sq. to do their shopping (lot of those ppl. down around prince st, spring st, etc. & broadway be staten islanders & NJ folks (the latter, quiet is as kept))... It's one of those things... Certain regions have their "areas", so to speak, and 34th st Herald sq. is it for Bronxites.....

Wait a minute. You don't like the dirty conditions on 6th Avenue and Concourse, but you also don't care for the new, sterile look of the rehabbed West End stations either? Interesting.

You obviously haven't seen them... They all look EXACTLY the same.  The same could be said of the (Q) stations too to some extent.

To me, it's comparable to the Staten Islanders that tend to not venture north of union sq. to do their shopping (lot of those ppl. down around prince st, spring st, etc. & broadway be staten islanders & NJ folks (the latter, quiet is as kept))... It's one of those things... Certain regions have their "areas", so to speak, and 34th st Herald sq. is it for Bronxites.....

What exactly gave you the impression that Staten Islanders don't tend to venture north of Union Square for shopping?

You obviously haven't seen them... They all look EXACTLY the same.  The same could be said of the (Q) stations too to some extent.

What exactly gave you the impression that Staten Islanders don't tend to venture north of Union Square for shopping?

Well, it's a longer distance to 23, 34, 42, and 57 Street. I have seen that too to an extent on some of the X17's, and the X1, as well as even the X27's.

Well, it's a longer distance to 23, 34, 42, and 57 Street. I have seen that too to an extent on some of the X17's, and the X1, as well as even the X27's.

That's true of the younger crowds actually taking the express buses. Union Square is the hang out spot for the young crowd.  I got off there a lot too, but plenty of folks go up to 34th, 42nd and 57th.  It all depends on the time of day and the crowd on weekends.  The X1 gets PLENTY of folks going into the 40's and up to 57th or Central Park South. The X27 can vary too.  I often take that to 57th on weekends when making a stop before getting the express bus to Riverdale and quite a few folks get off there.  14th is a big stop regardless though because of the reason I gave before.  If it's a younger crowd on the bus then it may empty out more on 14th and 23rd to some extent too.  Crowds on the X27 can be older, as Bay Ridge (particularly near and on Shore Rd) is more comprised of families and older folks (seniors) taking their grandchildren or children to the city as well.

Nailed it.... This is more or less what I was going to say, upon reading the OP.....

To sum it up, 34th st./6th av area is Fordham road & Harlem, 125th st combined, on steroids...

These are people taking that ride to manhattan to go shopping...

Former Bronxite here!

What you are describing is a weekend service pattern where it relates to passenger usage by station. Weekdays on the other hand, midday, its not as busy. Of course rush hours its off the chain. But on weekends it is busy throughout the entire day because yes everyone is heading to 34th Street to shop, 59th Street/Columbus Circle (its always busy in that station regardless, 24/7) or to 42nd Street to get to Times Square. But thats mainly a weekend thing. This even applies to Fordham Road on the weekends, very busy. Weeknights on Fordham Road on the D, is usually quiet save for rush hour crowds coming home.

Exception is the holiday shopping season.

The amount of them on the (R) that bombard Union Sq. & points south, getting off for the ferry, and the amount of them that board express buses w/ shopping bags... Usually the teens to 20 somethings....

That's what.....

Yeah, guess it's not something I'm arbitrarily pulling out of my ass, huh.... Lol....

Former Bronxite here!

What you are describing is a weekend service pattern where it relates to passenger usage by station. Weekdays on the other hand, midday, its not as busy. Of course rush hours its off the chain. But on weekends it is busy throughout the entire day because yes everyone is heading to 34th Street to shop, 59th Street/Columbus Circle (its always busy in that station regardless, 24/7) or to 42nd Street to get to Times Square. But thats mainly a weekend thing. This even applies to Fordham Road on the weekends, very busy. Weeknights on Fordham Road on the D, is usually quiet save for rush hour crowds coming home.

Exception is the holiday shopping season.

Given his location & what he's awkwardly commenting about, it seems to me as if the OP was referring to the weekend (D), so yes, that's what I was describing.... Otherwise it wouldn't make too much sense - as it would implicate that Brooklynites barely take the (D) to 34th during weekdays or whatever.....

The amount of them on the (R) that bombard Union Sq. & points south, getting off for the ferry, and the amount of them that board express buses w/ shopping bags... Usually the teens to 20 somethings....

That's what.....

Yeah, guess it's not something I'm arbitrarily pulling out of my ass, huh.... Lol....

Yeah but they don't represent all Staten Islanders.  You're right about the age group but to that is not representative of Staten Islanders as a whole shopping in the city.  Of course that age group would as most folks in that age group of all boroughs.  Those are the "trendy"/"hip" areas of the city.  I even shop down there along West Broadway, etc. down in SoHo from time to time. Nothing but mainly young folks down there from shopping to the eateries.

Archived