Bad News for (7) Line Fans...

TheNewYorkElevated

Guess what?

If you haven't already heard, the 43th Street-Javits Center extension has been pushed back to February 2015, due to complications of the inclined elevator. So the  (7) won't being going to Hudson Yards for 5 more months. 

*Sorry, I mean 34th Street

What the hell, MTA?

Inclined elevator? You just won't save your money to build a regular one, will you?

In this case, it probably came out cost-neutral or cost-positive, given the depth of the station; the inclined elevator allows the elevator to travel in the same shaft as the escalator, vs. building an expensive vertical shaft with connecting passageway.

I remember back in the day when I regained my subway obsession. I was all "YES! I'll be able to visit the new subway station before I graduate from High School!"

Well, then it got pushed back to June.

And then it got pushed back to what, September?

(then November, December, February 2015, and now March 2015).

why can't MTA just open the station without the inclinator. Just let the passenger know it not ada yet. Get some money rolling in that station. They should check with Luxopr hotel to see where they got their inclinator from. 

Because that would violate federal anti-discrimination laws.

They actually bought the inclined elevator from the same company.

it not discriminating it just delayed. that law is bullsht

What's a couple months? Hudson Yards is not open yet, and the only two things of value opened right now are the Javits Center and the High Line. The area survived without a big subway station for decades; surely, with nothing much changed right now, they can handle it for a couple of months.

Disabled people are a protected class the same way the federal government protects members of different races, genders, religious affiliation, political affiliation, and age from discrimination, and the same way the state government protects members of different sexualities. It is important that all members of protected classes be provided equality of opportunity to participate in and be productive members of society, and for disabled people, equality of mobility is particularly important. As it stands right now, the MTA is possibly one of the least ADA-friendly transit agencies in the nation; it refuses to upgrade to 100% accessibility even when rehabbing stations, an overwhelming majority of stations are not accessible, and at stations that are accessible, only a one-car length is usually actually accessible for wheelchairs and elevators are often malfunctioning. The law is not bullshit, and a couple months is not a big deal.

What's a couple months? Hudson Yards is not open yet, and the only two things of value opened right now are the Javits Center and the High Line. The area survived without a big subway station for decades; surely, with nothing much changed right now, they can handle it for a couple of months.

Disabled people are a protected class the same way the federal government protects members of different races, genders, religious affiliation, political affiliation, and age from discrimination, and the same way the state government protects members of different sexualities. It is important that all members of protected classes be provided equality of opportunity to participate in and be productive members of society, and for disabled people, equality of mobility is particularly important. As it stands right now, the MTA is possibly one of the least ADA-friendly transit agencies in the nation; it refuses to upgrade to 100% accessibility even when rehabbing stations, an overwhelming majority of stations are not accessible, and at stations that are accessible, only a one-car length is usually actually accessible for wheelchairs and elevators are often malfunctioning. The law is not bullshit, and a couple months is not a big deal.

It's good to see other folks standing up for the disabled around here.  Too many self-centered types these days...

i am not against ADA.  The MTA got the thing going and still trying hard to get it open. It not their fault if the elevator is not working properly. 

It is their fault; they bought the elevator, and it's their responsibility.

...They REALLY should have just stuck with normal elevators...

The thing is that that would also have been really expensive; the station is about 100 feet into the ground, so that would mean sinking a brand new vertical shaft and horizontal passageway to access said shaft from the mezzanine. The way it's being done now, the elevator shares a shaft with the escalators, which probably is saving them a load of money.

Six months after it's open nobody will give a s*** and we'll all forget this debate ever happened.

It is their fault; they bought the elevator, and it's their responsibility.

The thing is that that would also have been really expensive; the station is about 100 feet into the ground, so that would mean sinking a brand new vertical shaft and horizontal passageway to access said shaft from the mezzanine. The way it's being done now, the elevator shares a shaft with the escalators, which probably is saving them a load of money.

Six months after it's open nobody will give a s*** and we'll all forget this debate ever happened.

Just like how most people forgot how new SF had a delayed opening because of ADA compliance

R188 I hope that's what he's talking about

If that is what you refer to as the newer subway cars for the 7 line, then yes that is what I am talking about? Sorry everyone, I been away from New York City for 2 years and I just got back home and I have always been a fan of the subway.

Archived