Rob Astorino Promises to Speed Up the R Train

realizm

img_0517.jpg?w=635&h=476

Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino today pledged to make the notoriously tardy R train ride the rails quicker if voters pick him over Gov. Andrew Cuomo in November.

Campaigning with GOP State Senator Martin Golden inside the 77th Street R station in the latter’s home neighborhood of Bay Ridge, the Westchester county executive argued that the southern Brooklyn neighborhood suffers from few public transit options, and that those available are often unsatisfactory. Mr. Astorino–who moments earlier had struggled to purchase a Metrocard, seeming unfamiliar with the Metropolitan Transportation Authorities vending machines–said as governor he would work to increase the speed and frequency of the R, the area’s only train line, the letter of which locals sometimes joke stands for “rarely.”

“The express buses are important. The R train, which runs here, is slow, we’re going to try to make it run a little faster,” Mr. Astorino told reporters.

Read more: Source

Yeah, sure. He'll continue the Republican legacy of cutting the MTA's budget with a few pieces of pandering (like this shameless gift to the Bay Ridge white Republicans) in the midst of it. He knows nothing about transit and is only desperate. Cuomo's lousy, Astorino's worse.

I wouldn't even take this seriously if I were you. This is nothing but a pandering tactic. He's down by around 30 points in recent polls and is trying all he can to get the vote, despite his diminishing chances of actually winning the election.

With all the chokepoints the R runs through along its ROW I dont know if shriking headways is even possible, the best the MTA can do given they can afford extra payroll costs (which they cant with a 152 billion dollar deficit just announced), is to send trains from Nassau Street via Montague as was in the previous patterns weve seen. Which will mean more cars we may simply not have.

Oh, he's going to make it run faster? Do tell, Mr. Astorino. By what means is thing happening? Big-time construction work to straighten out the curve just north of 86 street to speed up train entry into 86 st going southbound? Replacing every inch of track with continuous welded rail on rubber-booted block track, built to high-speed rail tolerances? I'm all ears, you gun-toting bigot.

How did NY come down to this? The Democrat is a tea party trust fund baby who wants to dissolve the state government and let corporations run the show, and the Republican is...exactly like the Democrat plus bigotry and gun insanity. Some choice we got there.

Astorino should campaign here in Riverdale as well.  He would do well in my area of Riverdale along with Fieldston, the two most expensive areas of Riverdale that "coincidentally" voted heavily for Lhota.  De Blasio won overall in Riverdale, but he lost in Fieldston and barely won where I'm at, as many supported Lhota including myself.  For what it's worth I watched Astorino on Good Day NY this morning and he has done well by Westchester, cutting taxes, fighting for upper middle class families and professionals, and more importantly going after handouts, something that Cuomo needs to do more of.  The upper middle class is being taxed to death in this city and in this state, and communities like Bay Ridge (particularly the affluent areas near Shore Rd where the X27/X37 runs), Riverdale (Central Riverdale & west of the parkway (Estate area) and Fieldston proper (east of the parkway (Estate area)) and other suburban-like areas in NYC like most of Staten Island, parts of Dyker Heights, Northeast Queens (Bay Terrace, Bayside, Beechurst, Whitestone, etc.), Howard Beach, Neponsit, Breezy Point, etc., with upper class and upper middle class enclaves need to vote heavily and change the direction that we're going.  While I have supported Cuomo overall, we need tax relief here in NYC.  The poor needs to pay more of its fair share.  This clown de Blasio is doing nothing more than pandering to the poor and making the rich and upper middle class folks the scapegoats. 

Bay Ridge deserves better express bus service and better (R) train service, and I'm sure the community would welcome more frequent (R) train service.  

Looks like he went to Boro Park too along 13th Avenue... Good for him.... Come to Riverdale... We'll welcome you here as well!  :D

http://jpupdates.com/2014/09/23/nygov-astorino-tours-boro-park-cuomo-floods-jewish-weeklies-w-rosh-hashana-greetings/

Rob Astorino, according to advertisements on television also wants gun programs in schools. No.

Those are attack ads by the State Democratic Association. Do your own research, look at the beliefs and track records of both and make your decision.

If you ask me Cuomo is a corrupt, anti-constitution "extremist" (to use his words) and doesn't deserve to be Governor, and I really hope Astorino can get the votes so Cuomo gets out. Even that Zephyr Teachout was actually on the moderate side and saw him as corrupt, she even agreed that the Safe Act was pushed through and no one had any time to look at and have an open debate about it.

With all the chokepoints the R runs through along its ROW I dont know if shriking headways is even possible, the best the MTA can do given they can afford extra payroll costs (which they cant with a 152 billion dollar deficit just announced), is to send trains from Nassau Street via Montague as was in the previous patterns weve seen. Which will mean more cars we may simply not have.

Won't we have enough cars to add at least limited rush hour service from Nassau St via Montague once the R179 order is complete?

Can 95th St handle the full (R) service plus a limited (J) service during the rush? Or should this limited (J) service terminate elsewhere? (9th Ave? Bay Pkwy?)

All they need to do is address all the issues that continuously plagued the (R) route, which is primarily the Queens Blvd flagging with track/signal maintainers, Queens Blvd GOs, and its interaction with the (M), (N) and (Q) of course. It's going to take years for the Queens Blvd corridor to be improved. So right now, there's really nothing they can do to get rid of any flagging with track/signal maintainers that also plague every other line during middays (on the outdoor portions) and especially on weekends/nights.

That's all.

The upper middle class is being taxed to death in this city and in this state, and communities like Bay Ridge (particularly the affluent areas near Shore Rd where the X27/X37 runs), Riverdale (Central Riverdale & west of the parkway (Estate area) and Fieldston proper (east of the parkway (Estate area)) and other suburban-like areas in NYC like most of Staten Island, parts of Dyker Heights, Northeast Queens (Bay Terrace, Bayside, Beechurst, Whitestone, etc.), Howard Beach, Neponsit, Breezy Point, etc., with upper class and upper middle class enclaves need to vote heavily and change the direction that we're going.  While I have supported Cuomo overall, we need tax relief here in NYC.  The poor needs to pay more of its fair share.  This clown de Blasio is doing nothing more than pandering to the poor and making the rich and upper middle class folks the scapegoats. 

Zero of this is true. The upper middle class are not taxed to death, they are historically undertaxed. de Blasio has not pandered to the poor, now has he done anything at all to change tax policy for the upper classes. Thanks for playing,

If you ask me Cuomo is a corrupt, anti-constitution "extremist" (to use his words) and doesn't deserve to be Governor, and I really hope Astorino can get the votes so Cuomo gets out. Even that Zephyr Teachout was actually on the moderate side and saw him as corrupt, she even agreed that the Safe Act was pushed through and no one had any time to look at and have an open debate about it.

Anti-constitution? The hell is that? Teachout was to the left of Cuomo, by the way. Cuomo is, at best, a moderate Republican, so I'm not sure where you're getting 'extremist' from. Astorino has no idea what he's doing and won't win, anyway.

Astorino should campaign here in Riverdale as well.  He would do well in my area of Riverdale along with Fieldston, the two most expensive areas of Riverdale that "coincidentally" voted heavily for Lhota.  De Blasio won overall in Riverdale, but he lost in Fieldston and barely won where I'm at, as many supported Lhota including myself.  For what it's worth I watched Astorino on Good Day NY this morning and he has done well by Westchester, cutting taxes, fighting for upper middle class families and professionals, and more importantly going after handouts, something that Cuomo needs to do more of.  The upper middle class is being taxed to death in this city and in this state, and communities like Bay Ridge (particularly the affluent areas near Shore Rd where the X27/X37 runs), Riverdale (Central Riverdale & west of the parkway (Estate area) and Fieldston proper (east of the parkway (Estate area)) and other suburban-like areas in NYC like most of Staten Island, parts of Dyker Heights, Northeast Queens (Bay Terrace, Bayside, Beechurst, Whitestone, etc.), Howard Beach, Neponsit, Breezy Point, etc., with upper class and upper middle class enclaves need to vote heavily and change the direction that we're going.  While I have supported Cuomo overall, we need tax relief here in NYC.  The poor needs to pay more of its fair share.  This clown de Blasio is doing nothing more than pandering to the poor and making the rich and upper middle class folks the scapegoats. 

Bay Ridge deserves better express bus service and better (R) train service, and I'm sure the community would welcome more frequent (R) train service.  

Looks like he went to Boro Park too along 13th Avenue... Good for him.... Come to Riverdale... We'll welcome you here as well!  :D

http://jpupdates.com/2014/09/23/nygov-astorino-tours-boro-park-cuomo-floods-jewish-weeklies-w-rosh-hashana-greetings/

Judging by this, mental health services is what we need more of in this city.

Oh, he's going to make it run faster? Do tell, Mr. Astorino. By what means is thing happening? Big-time construction work to straighten out the curve just north of 86 street to speed up train entry into 86 st going southbound? Replacing every inch of track with continuous welded rail on rubber-booted block track, built to high-speed rail tolerances? I'm all ears, you gun-toting bigot.

How did NY come down to this? The Democrat is a tea party trust fund baby who wants to dissolve the state government and let corporations run the show, and the Republican is...exactly like the Democrat plus bigotry and gun insanity. Some choice we got there.

BS and generalities go hand in hand. Specifics require thought and things that actually exist--don't expect that.

But seriously, there will always be issues until they do some B&M work at 95th to allow more trains to turn and turn quickly.

36th street is a mess, Canal st is a mess, and so is 34th st---Broadway in general is a mess...

If he were serious, he'd talk about that and how he would remedy that with SPECIFIC proposals.

But he isn't.

Zero of this is true. The upper middle class are not taxed to death, they are historically undertaxed. de Blasio has not pandered to the poor, now has he done anything at all to change tax policy for the upper classes. Thanks for playing,

Anti-constitution? The hell is that? Teachout was to the left of Cuomo, by the way. Cuomo is, at best, a moderate Republican, so I'm not sure where you're getting 'extremist' from. Astorino has no idea what he's doing and won't win, anyway.

Are you kidding me?  New York has been anti-business and anti-upper class for a while now and having de Blasio being voted in just further illustrates this.  A family that earns $150,000 - 250,000 a year is taxed to death and these are the people creating jobs with small businesses. 

Judging by this, mental health services is what we need more of in this city.

Actually we do.  The homeless population is spiraling out of control.

BS and generalities go hand in hand. Specifics require thought and things that actually exist--don't expect that.

But seriously, there will always be issues until they do some B&M work at 95th to allow more trains to turn and turn quickly.

36th street is a mess, Canal st is a mess, and so is 34th st---Broadway in general is a mess...

If he were serious, he'd talk about that and how he would remedy that with SPECIFIC proposals.

But he isn't.

The point is that represents the best interests of neighborhoods like Bay Ridge, and Golden is simply letting his constituents know that a guy like Astorino would work for them... Get them better express bus service (which is VITAL to Bay Ridge) and better (R) service too.  The specifics can be worked out later.  Astorino is more than welcome to campaign here in Riverdale.

The point is that represents the best interests of neighborhoods like Bay Ridge, and Golden is simply letting his constituents know that a guy like Astorino would work for them... Get them better express bus service (which is VITAL to Bay Ridge) and better (R) service too.  The specifics can be worked out later.  Astorino is more than welcome to campaign here in Riverdale.

No it isn't, really. I know because I live there unlike you who is assuming. The (R) train is only 35 minutes from Manhattan. No Bus would get through the Battery Tunnel and fight Manhattan and Gowanus traffic that fast.

No it isn't, really. I know because I live there unlike you who is assuming. The (R) train is only 35 minutes from Manhattan. No Bus would get through the Battery Tunnel and fight Manhattan and Gowanus traffic that fast.

Actually I am not assuming because I was BORN AND RAISED in Brooklyn grew up in Southern Brooklyn for over half of my life, and go to and from Bay Ridge quite frequently, and have been for over 20 years.  Meanwhile you're trying to tell me about something just because you live there currently but you're a transplant. lol The (R) is "only" 35 minutes to Manhattan IF you live right near it.  Those who live along Shore Rd or west of 4th Avenue don't live right near the (R), and the B16 is SLOW and infrequent.  As a matter of fact I checked out a place years ago on Shore Rd and 92nd and once I heard that they were cutting the X27 on weekends I said forget it.  I even used the (R) in Bay Ridge when I lived on Staten Island, and sometimes the wait was almost 20 minutes.  Outside of rush hour, the X27 is MUCH quicker than the (R) could ever be and I'm along Shore Rd often.  The walk from most of Shore Rd to the (R) is long and tedious, especially with the hills in some parts of the area and the B16 runs so infrequently that it's almost non-existent. 

Also, the X27/X37 service has its own lane on the Gowanus (which I also fought to get when I lived on Staten Island for express bus commuters), so the trip often times isn't as bad as you're making it sound.  It was me along with TONS of other Bay Ridge residents who fought to get the X27 restored on weekends, so I know very well how vital the service is unlike you who just recently moved there from another state.  <_<

"

"Vital" is subjective.

I try not to get into debates about things that are subjective.

I am not disagreeing with you, though.

"

"Vital" is subjective.

I try not to get into debates about things that are subjective.

I am not disagreeing with you, though.

It's vital to the many seniors in Bay Ridge which is at least 20% of the overall population who can't use the subways and don't live close to the (R) train (many of which are not ADA accessible).  Without the express bus they would have a very hard time getting to and from Manhattan for trips to the doctor and other important appointments.  Many of them live west of 4th Avenue, closer to Shore Rd or on Shore Rd itself.

Rob Astorino is aware Bay Ridge residents keep complaining about long rush-hour waits in the afternoon (then a few trains come at once), long waits on weekend mornings/afternoons (often there is a supplement R schedule with reduced 12 minute headways when there is Queens Blvd weekend work), and even longer waits on weekend late evenings (when alternate trains drop out at Whitehall, resulting in very long waits for a Brooklyn R train.)

Rob Astorino is aware Bay Ridge residents keep complaining about long rush-hour waits in the afternoon (then a few trains come at once), long waits on weekend mornings/afternoons (often there is a supplement R schedule with reduced 12 minute headways when there is Queens Blvd weekend work), and even longer waits on weekend late evenings (when alternate trains drop out at Whitehall, resulting in very long waits for a Brooklyn R train.)

Yeah and somehow these long waits that you and I have experienced numerous times are apparently imaginery.  35 minutes to Manhattan but a 20 minute wait for the train.  <_<

Archived