The Need for Better Bus Service

BrooklynBus

One city, one fare has always been around. Don't you remember the paper transfers. They should have given those out on buses tho, like one person gets one when they pay their fare, regardless of where they are going.

Local bus service is ignored, but is still expanded upon. See all the resurrection of the bus cuts stuff.

One City, one fare was not spoken of before bus subway transfers. Then it was one or two fare zones, the latter meaning that you needed a bus to a subway, although anyone who needed to pay two or one and one half fares to take two buses was not considered. Remember add-a-rides or the creation of MaBSTOA that eliminated bus transfers?

They were once all private. The NYCTA took over the private lines from the Brooklyn Queens Transit Corporation, I believes subsidiary of the BMT in 1953. More private routes followed in 1962 with the creation of MABSTOA in Manhattan and the Bronx. In Queens, only routes emanating from Brooklyn and the Flushing routes were NYCT which was also taken over from a private company. Several more companies in South Jamaica were absorbed in the late 1960s. The latest round of takeovers occurred with the creation of the MTA Bus Company in 2004. Those were the takeovers I was referring to in the article. Isn't ten years enough to study the routes for omissions and duplications so that routes can be reorganized and streamlined?

They were once all private. The NYCTA took over the private lines from the Brooklyn Queens Transit Corporation, I believes subsidiary of the BMT in 1953. More private routes followed in 1962 with the creation of MABSTOA in Manhattan and the Bronx. In Queens, only routes emanating from Brooklyn and the Flushing routes were NYCT which was also taken over from a private company. Several more companies in South Jamaica were absorbed in the late 1960s. The latest round of takeovers occurred with the creation of the MTA Bus Company in 2004. Those were the takeovers I was referring to in the article. Isn't ten years enough to study the routes for omissions and duplications so that routes can be reorganized and streamlined?

True these are horrible duplicates Bxm4,qm21 duplicates the x63,qm1 is redundant and some local buses q21and this new Q114.

True these are horrible duplicates Bxm4,qm21 duplicates the x63,qm1 is redundant and some local buses q21and this new Q114.

The QM1 is needed during rush hours. The QM1 would need to run, because then the QM5/QM6 would be crushloaded. The QM1 has it's riders, and also helps out the QM5/QM6, and people use it, so it's good in that regard. 

The Q21 may seem redundant, but it's really not, because the Q11/21 have the same headways middays, and weekends for the most part, it carries alright. They're scheduled (southbound) so that there's an even distribution of distance between buses. The Q21 relieves the Q11. IDK, but IMO, from what I've seen, the Q21 is the more prevalent route in Lindenwood (local), except during the rush hour, when riders take which comes first (usually the 41).

Also, the Q114 is the Q113 Local. There is zero redudancy because this is a limited stop that's local in the rockaways and nassau county. No other bus does that in that area. It improves Rockaways travel, and furthermore, the Brewer limited stops benefit (I'll probably say limited travel has increased with the 114 around).

The QM1 is needed during rush hours. The QM1 would need to run, because then the QM5/QM6 would be crushloaded. The QM1 has it's riders, and also helps out the QM5/QM6, and people use it, so it's good in that regard. 

The Q21 may seem redundant, but it's really not, because the Q11/21 have the same headways middays, and weekends for the most part, it carries alright. They're scheduled (southbound) so that there's an even distribution of distance between buses. The Q21 relieves the Q11. IDK, but IMO, from what I've seen, the Q21 is the more prevalent route in Lindenwood (local), except during the rush hour, when riders take which comes first (usually the 41).

Also, the Q114 is the Q113 Local. There is zero redudancy because this is a limited stop that's local in the rockaways and nassau county. No other bus does that in that area. It improves Rockaways travel, and furthermore, the Brewer limited stops benefit (I'll probably say limited travel has increased with the 114 around).

Compare Q11 peak use to offpeak how extreme is the difference in loading?

True these are horrible duplicates Bxm4,qm21 duplicates the x63,qm1 is redundant and some local buses q21 and this new Q114.

I'd hate to have you running NYC's bus system (for a myriad of reasons, but be there as it may).... Seems as if you would have one bus line run along a main corridor with a shitload of branches..... I bet you liked the structure of the old Bx40 - where it terminated at the current Bx8 terminal in locust point, or the current Bx40 terminal at Ft. Schuyler, or the old Bx42 terminal (before it got extended to where harding av ends; emerson av) @ harding/davis......

I suppose current Merrick Blvd service qualifies as horrible duplicates too.... Why not have one route with FOUR branches:

via linden, via 120th, via merrick, via rochdale & rosedale :lol: 

I'm looking at your examples, and I'm gonna ask a simple question:

Where is the distinguishment for supplementary routes - Especially regarding the latter 3 (QM1, Q21, Q114)?

Someone with some level of sanity.... There is one key word in that last statement of mine addressing the above quoted post, which sums up just what you're saying here.......

Compare Q11 peak use to offpeak how extreme is the difference in loading?

Compare Q11 overall usage before the Q21 was extended to Queens Blvd, to since the Q21 was extended to Queens Blvd....

"How extreme is the difference in loading?"

Better service deprives professional complainers of an income.

Or maybe, as one of the very few people here who has been responsible for actual service chances and has had actual, not fantasy, experiences with the MTA, he actually has legitimate gripes?

I've always wondered who this Gotham guy was. He must work for the (MTA) or be a crazed fan because he does nothing but put down others who criticize the (MTA) .

I haven't paid too much attention to him so I don't know. I think he may be a bus driver. I have to deal with Andrew (Andrew JC here) who claims not to work for the MTA but is always apologizing for them and also for DOT.

I don't get paid to complain.

The only reason to have a blog is to make money.

Or maybe, as one of the very few people here who has been responsible for actual service chances and has had actual, not fantasy, experiences with the MTA, he actually has legitimate gripes?

That was 30+ years ago and it lasted less than a year.  What "actual service changes" has he implemented lately?

That was 30+ years ago and it lasted less than a year. What "actual service changes" has he implemented lately?

Some people actually do things for reasons other than making money. Like to get some improvements implemented. That must come as a shock to me.

What have I done lately? Well in 2010 the MTA decided to eliminate the B4 east of Coney Island Avenue at all times. Because of the numbers I showed them, they changed their plan to only eliminate it on weekends and middays from 9 AM to 2:30 PM which was insane because of the confusion it caused and because the bus was needed. (I was personally told that by the Director of Operations Planning that they made tat change only because of me.) Then I organized the community to fight back and it was completely restored in 2013.

I did all of that after I retired in 2005.

Also I was in Planning at City Planning for 7 years and two years at NYCT. That's nine years, not under one.

So if he doesn't complain, then you don't complain? Yeah, way to absolve yourself of trolling.

False....

There are bloggers out there that don't even know they can make money blogging! (if they so wanted to)

And who's to say that they have to anyway..... You get people that simply like to talk (offline) - That translates to either posting on forums, blogging, and/or vlogging... Online.

Getting paid to blog is not intrinsic, nor is it some foregone conclusion like you're ignorantly conveying here that it is.....

I've always wondered who this Gotham guy was. He must work for the (MTA) or be a crazed fan because he does nothing but put down others who criticize the (MTA)

....or a "professional" troller.

----

and to this guy:

Don't think I forgot about you, Mr. BxM4 should be gone because it duplicates the subway along the Concourse... By that stupid ass logic, the Bx1 & Bx2 should be eradicated also.... Even the god damn MTA spared the B25 of extinction b/c it runs along Fulton av w/ the Fulton av line....

Lol @ coming back to dap BM5's post well after I made my post.... SmhLmao @ this duck, duck, goose shit....

So if he doesn't complain, then you don't complain? Yeah, way to absolve yourself of trolling.

False....

There are bloggers out there that don't even know they can make money blogging! (if they so wanted to)

And who's to say that they have to anyway..... You get people that simply like to talk (offline) - That translates to either posting on forums, blogging, and/or vlogging... Online.

Getting paid to blog is not intrinsic, nor is it some foregone conclusion like you're ignorantly conveying here that it is.....

....or a "professional" troller.

----

and to this guy:

Don't think I forgot about you, Mr. BxM4 should be gone because it duplicates the subway along the Concourse... By that stupid ass logic, the Bx1 & Bx2 should be eradicated also.... Even the god damn MTA spared the B25 of extinction b/c it runs along Fulton av w/ the Fulton av line....

Lol @ coming back to dap BM5's post well after I made my post.... SmhLmao @ this duck, duck, goose shit....

Bx1&2 are local and LTD buses that are well utilized bxm4 ain't. Those 2 locals serve a need. And the bx1 connects to the (1) try again. The B25 was spared cause it doesn't carry air for some reason probably the only motivation to keep the qm3 around.

Ain't nobody got time to complain all the time.

Bx1&2 are local and LTD buses that are well utilized bxm4 ain't. Those 2 locals serve a need. And the bx1 connects to the (1) try again. The B25 was spared cause it doesn't carry air for some reason probably the only motivation to keep the qm3 around.

The QM3 is well used.  It only has 3 trips in each direction so I don't know what you're talking about. The BxM4 is needed for Woodlawn and parts of the Concourse due to the topography along the Concourse and the high amount of elderly and disabled people that use the BxM4.

The QM3 is well used.  It only has 3 trips in each direction so I don't know what you're talking about. The BxM4 is needed for Woodlawn and parts of the Concourse due to the topography along the Concourse and the high amount of elderly and disabled people that use the BxM4.

I already explained why they keep qm3 around. Again with the same tired argument. However due to I-87 traffic even if the bxm4 was dropped the MTA would find a way to keep express bus service on the concorse and in Woodlawn via modified routing to other express buses.

What do you mean "for some reason"? 

I already explained why they keep qm3 around.

Because it gets used. Despite the low numbers, it has a low amount of trips as well.

The QM3 is kept because it is USED.  Simple as that.  There are only three trips in each directions and they are used.

I already said that.

What do you mean "for some reason"? 

Because it gets used. Despite the low numbers, it has a low amount of trips as well.

It may have to do with crappy (C) or lack of elevators on the line and choice of people.

Archived