A question of elderly/disabled transport: Access-A-Ride vs City Bus

46Dover

Ive had the experience of being an Access-A-Ride driver before upgrading to bigger buses. I've seen pros and cons to both sides, mostly pros with AAR picking you up from your place of residence. If you were elderly or disabled, what would be your preferred choice of travel?

Isn't Access-A-Ride dispatch a horror story in and of itself, though? At least, that's the impression that the news outlets give.

Yes, but for a trip within a borough you can now have a private livery cab/black car pick you up and AAR will reimburse you (minus the $2.50 fee or whatever), so if you can front the money it's a great deal

My grandmother uses AAR and from her experience, reliability is in the pits. She instead went for her reduced fare metrocard because it would be forever for her to wait for one of those AAR vehicles to show up.

The time it takes for them to come pick her up, she's already on the Q10 to the grocery!

They are somewhat reliable in the Bronx. My mom has used AAR for anything that isn't doctors appointments and she's been satisfied with the service. Her only problem isn't the service, but the scheduling, for instance if you finish what you have to do before your pick up to go back home, you still have to wait for your scheduled time. (And since she has "temporary" AAR service, either that or since she already has a 1/2 fare card, it looks like they wont give her the free AAR Metrocard, she's been disappointed about that too.)

It doesn't really save time compared to the public bus/subway, but its a one-seat ride 99% of the time and you are guaranteed a seat and that's what most seniors/disabled people like about it.

Archived