Should the MTA expand its subway etiquette rules?

realizm

Capture_zps92a640a4.jpg

NEW YORK (PIX11) — A prankster recently posted a very official-looking addendum to the rules of conduct in the New York City subway, voicing the silent complaints of many straphangers.

Right now, the MTA’s rules of conduct include not littering, smoking, gambling and drinking, but is the list comprehensive enough? Are the posters getting out the message?

The MTA recently began new ad campaigns for sick passengers, electronic theft prevention, and the dangers of standing too close to the edge of the platform. MTA officials are not planning on revisiting the rules of conduct.

An effort to revisit the conduct rules ended with the idea being tabled by the MTA Board in 2005.

But what about the person eating hot, aromatic cart food, or that other rider clipping his finger nails?

Read more: Source

Yes they should and they should start enforcing them by writing more tickets. It's appauling what is happening in the subways and I do my best to avoid them like the plague.  There was a guy the other day on the (C) train with two friggin' huge snakes sliding around on the poles.  Crazy...

lmao.... Snakes on a train !

Anyway, they can expand it as long as they like.... At the bare minimum, as long as you have the homeless festering subway trains, "subway etiquette" will not be taken seriously....

Don't talk to me about no littering & no blocking free movement, when you have the situation going with the damn 8th av line (especially) when it comes to the homeless.... Enough to make you wanna vomit from the putrid stench that emanates from 'em - and that smell stays with you for a minute too, even after you leave their confines....

Yes they should and they should start enforcing them by writing more tickets. It's appauling what is happening in the subways and I do my best to avoid them like the plague.  There was a guy the other day on the (C) train with two friggin' huge snakes sliding around on the poles.  Crazy...

Appalling* [typo]

Didn't know $2.50 subway rides deserved 1st class treatment.

The way the subways are heading if they don't start enforcing more rules, it's going to get worse.  People do just about everything on the subways these days and I don't mean just eating either.  There are also far too many panhandlers.  I used the (A) train I believe about a month ago heading Northbound.  Our car got hit three times back to back to back... Once for "show time" idiots, once for another "performer" singing God knows what, and then yet again with a homeless guy begging.  The second person was also homeless and looked to be mentally deranged, but seemed to think that doing some sort of show would net her more money. It was quite annoying to say the least.  I think it's time for the passengers to take back their subways from all of the homeless people, panhandlers and "performing artists". When I ride the subway I just want a quiet ride. I don't want to deal with people trying to shake me down at every stop.

Appalling* [typo]

The way the subways are heading if they don't start enforcing more rules, it's going to get worse.  People do just about everything on the subways these days and I don't mean just eating either.  There are also far too many panhandlers.  I used the (A) train I believe about a month ago heading Northbound.  Our car got hit three times back to back to back... Once for "show time" idiots, once for another "performer" singing God knows what, and then yet again with a homeless guy begging.  The second person was also homeless and looked to be mentally deranged, but seemed to think that doing some sort of show would net her more money. It was quite annoying to say the least.  I think it's time for the passengers to take back their subways from all of the homeless people, panhandlers and "performing artists". When I ride the subway I just want a quiet ride. I don't want to deal with people trying to shake me down at every stop.

Railroads will always (In theory) provide better comfort with larger cars and fewer stops between stations moving at higher speeds. The subways on the other hand must run through the heart of Manhattan to the outer boros in a smaller-dimensioned system so yeah expect alot of people and the mayhem that comes with it, I wouldnt lie...

Railroads will always (In theory) provide better comfort with larger cars and fewer stops between stations moving at higher speeds. The subways on the other hand must run through the heart of Manhattan to the outer boros in a smaller-dimensioned system so yeah expect alot of people and the mayhem that comes with it, I wouldnt lie...

Yeah I don't think there's anyway around that with the Subways

I think it's time for the passengers to take back their subways from all of the homeless people, panhandlers and "performing artists". When I ride the subway I just want a quiet ride. I don't want to deal with people trying to shake me down at every stop.

People make rules, people don't follow them. People encourage police to enforce pettier crimes/misconducts, more fatal crimes may occur.

You want a quiet ride, the subway is hardly anything close to a quiet ride. Stick to your MNRR or LIRR for that. You don't want to deal with people "bothering" you, stay with your express buses.

It's just astonishing that little things like this bothers people as if they are about to die. All these "horror" stories about panhandlers and "street performers," and I've yet to encounter a group that "bothers" me. It's a simple rule called ignoring them. Then, you have headphones.

People make rules, people don't follow them. People encourage police to enforce pettier crimes/misconducts, more fatal crimes may occur.

You want a quiet ride, the subway is hardly anything close to a quiet ride. Stick to your MNRR or LIRR for that. You don't want to deal with people "bothering" you, stay with your express buses.

It's just astonishing that little things like this bothers people as if they are about to die. All these "horror" stories about panhandlers and "street performers," and I've yet to encounter a group that "bothers" me. It's a simple rule called ignoring them. Then, you have headphones.

dude LIRR & MNRR and express buses don't run everywhere many can't use em cause of the simple fact they DO NOT LIVE IN outer Long island and Westchester, putnam& dutchess and CT. Plus not every part of nyc can support frequent express buses people want to get there as fast as possible just for that shouldn't subject people to stinky bums. Ohh FYI one doesn't put LIRR & quiet in the same sentence especially since everyone is drunk or busy drinking and getting loud.

Sounds like a good idea. I've heard a lot of subway horror stories but VG8's snake one takes the cake. *shudders*

VG8 ain't lying I dealt with snakes next to me on the subway plus the panhandling is outright infuriating. It would be awesome if one had the balls to just grab em and toss em off. I don't think many have problems with the showtime dancers you can say many people egg em on.

.....I don't think many have problems with the showtime dancers you can say many people egg em on.

If by egg them on, you mean give them money... then yes, many do that...

Which exacerbates the problem!

Making the point you're making is like saying, the drug dealers in my community don't bother me.... So drug dealers aren't a problem.

That's the logic you're using, and it's severely faulty.

I'll bring up another analogy; that of the hungry stray cat/dog.... The more you feed them, the more they'll keep returning.

If by egg them on, you mean give them money... then yes, many do that...

Which exacerbates the problem!

Making the point you're making is like saying, the drug dealers in my community don't bother me.... So drug dealers aren't a problem.

That's the logic you're using, and it's severely faulty.

I'll bring up another analogy; that of the hungry stray cat/dog.... The more you feed them, the more they'll keep returning.

To be fair the stray cats keep the rats away especially on my block. And around the B13.

It's astonishing to you that people are annoyed because they want a quiet ride after or before work and don't want to be hit up by panhandlers and bums or other strange issues like huge snakes on the subway? Give me a break. In fact the NYPD started cracking down on the two issues due to passengers complaining. There are also safety issues involved.  It's hard to ignore people dancing on a subway and almost kicking people in their face. Those "horror stories" turn into more serious crimes which is what happened previously when crime spiraled out of control on the subway back in the 80s. Also, I have had plenty of subway rides on the (B) and (Q) that were quiet, with no panhandlers, bums and people begging. Those are QOL issues on the subway that should be addressed. It's rather funny that you praise the subway given your location of Little Neck which has no subway and only the LIRR.  But yes, I do avoid the subway like the plague and use it only when necessary in Manhattan, otherwise, MNRR, express buses, taxis or the local bus in the city are what I use.

It's astonishing to you that people are annoyed because they want a quiet ride after or before work and don't want to be hit up by panhandlers and bums or other strange issues like huge snakes on the subway? Give me a break.

Not for nothing, but I do agree with peacemak3r.

You love to treat public transportation as if it's your private limo or something. You're mistaking "public" transportation with "personal" transportation. And as for the term "bums", are you seriously referring to those that are homeless? They're human beings too, no? Obviously, yeah, they shouldn't be hanging around in the subways like that, but where else do you honestly expect them to go? Streets, sewers, or live under a rock? People that are "bums" and begging for food/money are those that are suffering in pain and sorrow because they're homeless due to not having friends and/or family to help/support them or some other issues. Life just gets harder and harder. Nothing is easy. In fact, some of them actually kill themselves because of what they're going through with little to no money.

I get that you're rich and all, but seriously, just because you work your ass off day in and day out, doesn't necessarily mean that you "deserve" a quiet ride via public transportation. That's like purposely banning people from the parks just because you want them to be quiet. And for what? So that they can be sp-ic and span 24/7? Yeah right.

It's called "public" for a reason, once you step outside of your own house.

Not for nothing, but I do agree with peacemak3r.

You love to treat public transportation as if it's your private limo or something. You're mistaking "public" transportation with "personal" transportation. And as for the term "bums", are you seriously referring to those that are homeless? They're human beings too, no? Obviously, yeah, they shouldn't be hanging around in the subways like that, but where else do you honestly expect them to go? Streets, sewers, or live under a rock? People that are "bums" and begging for food/money are those that are suffering in pain and sorrow because they're homeless due to not having friends and/or family to help/support them or some other issues. Life just gets harder and harder. Nothing is easy. In fact, some of them actually kill themselves because of what they're going through with little to no money.

I get that you're rich and all, but seriously, just because you work your ass off day in and day out, doesn't necessarily mean that you "deserve" a quiet ride via public transportation. That's like purposely banning people from the parks just because you want them to be quiet. And for what? So that they can be sp-ic and span 24/7? Yeah right.

It's called "public" for a reason, once you step outside of your own house.

Uh excuse me but there are programs for the homeless people. In fact I have seen the folks going around in the Grand Central Food Court trying to offer assistance to those people.  New York City has some of the most liberal policies when it comes to homeless people, so there is PLENTY of help for those people, enough that there is no need for these people to use the subways as their personal houses.  You think it's ok for one person to take over an entire car just because they're homeless?  That seems completely irrational.  And for the record, outside of this form I'm pretty sure the riding public would prefer not to have to ride the subway with panhandlers everywhere and homeless folks. If they did prefer it they wouldn't move to another car. Here's a question for you since I'm such an elitist... When you enter a subway car and there is a homeless person in it that has the entire car reeking, do you move to another car like everyone else or do you ride in it?  And if you say that you stay in it I'd call that a pretty big lie.

Could it be that all of those other people that move to another car are elitists too?? Imagine that. <_<

Of course most riders would prefer a quiet ride without being bothered by nuisances like panhandlers and the "music sharers". The problem is that you will likely never see more etiquette rules added to the list. And even if they were added, they'd never be enforced. Unless it's physically harming someone or the possibility of doing so, like the Showtime dancers, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it. For $2.50, you're basically guaranteed a safe ride between point A and point B in a somewhat timely fashion. If you're looking for more than that, you need to look into other transit options.

Yeah, like you said, most people prefer a quiet ride...but there is absolutely no such thing as a quiet ride during rush hours. I've yet to experience one and I've taken the subway during rush hours plenty of times.

Of course most riders would prefer a quiet ride without being bothered by nuisances like panhandlers and the "music sharers". The problem is that you will likely never see more etiquette rules added to the list. And even if they were added, they'd never be enforced. Unless it's physically harming someone or the possibility of doing so, like the Showtime dancers, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it. For $2.50, you're basically guaranteed a safe ride between point A and point B in a somewhat timely fashion. If you're looking for more than that, you need to look into other transit options.

Pretty much that statement. $2.50, you can't ask for much. You want more "rules" and quality control, pay more for a better service. Take car service.

^ bingo.

I have a love/hate relationship with my daily commute.

Commuting by subway is the great equalizer. Celebrity or janitor - you get the same level of service, you have to put up with the same indignities. But the fact that there's a magic staircase in the sidewalk that I can descend, and emerge basically anywhere else in the city within the hour, for less than the cost of a large coffee?

It ought to be a wonder of the world. And, not for nothing, for each of the horror stories, there are a million commutes so uneventful that they don't even bear a mention. Hence, I love the subway except when I hate it.

Yeah, like you said, most people prefer a quiet ride...but there is absolutely no such thing as a quiet ride during rush hours. I've yet to experience one and I've taken the subway during rush hours plenty of times.

Pretty much that statement. $2.50, you can't ask for much. You want more "rules" and quality control, pay more for a better service. Take car service.

I had one yesterday on the (B) coming down the Upper West Side... Would've had one going up Central Park West as well in Manhattan had we not had two brats crying over some toys... Then again my train usage is almost zero these days. Basically just one day a week and even then I could probably take Metro-North so far and walk.

It's astonishing to you that people are annoyed because they want a quiet ride after or before work and don't want to be hit up by panhandlers and bums or other strange issues like huge snakes on the subway? Give me a break. In fact the NYPD started cracking down on the two issues due to passengers complaining. There are also safety issues involved.  It's hard to ignore people dancing on a subway and almost kicking people in their face. Those "horror stories" turn into more serious crimes which is what happened previously when crime spiraled out of control on the subway back in the 80s. Also, I have had plenty of subway rides on the (B) and (Q) that were quiet, with no panhandlers, bums and people begging. Those are QOL issues on the subway that should be addressed. It's rather funny that you praise the subway given your location of Little Neck which has no subway and only the LIRR.  But yes, I do avoid the subway like the plague and use it only when necessary in Manhattan, otherwise, MNRR, express buses, taxis or the local bus in the city are what I use.

While I agree with most of what you said, as has been mentioned, being that you have a lot of money, you can take the transportation which provides you with a better chance of a quiet ride because you can afford it and that is the perspective you can take on all issues(from the highest financial class point of view), such as the express bus, which, from first-hand experience, is about the quietest ride you can get. To me, the biggest problem is the loud music people play. There should be a new rule instituted that if you play it too loud, you'll be fined. Also, people talk too loud, but there isn't anything you can do about that. Regarding those two "brats" you referred to, there is zero you can do about babies crying over toys. You surely have to understand that.

While I agree with most of what you said, as has been mentioned, being that you have a lot of money, you can take the transportation which provides you with a better chance of a quiet ride because you can afford it and that is the perspective you can take on all issues(from the highest financial class point of view), such as the express bus, which, from first-hand experience, is about the quietest ride you can get. To me, the biggest problem is the loud music people play. There should be a new rule instituted that if you play it too loud, you'll be fined. Also, people talk too loud, but there isn't anything you can do about that. Regarding those two "brats" you referred to, there is zero you can do about babies crying over toys. You surely have to understand that.

When do people play loud music?  I actually find that by sticking with the local trains in Manhattan when I need to use them, my subway rides are generally peaceful, as you can escape noise easier since the local stops are closely spaced together, but I'm also traveling at times in which there aren't that many people using it anyway so, outside of rush hour I don't have a problem.  Aside from that I thought, there already is a rule that prohibits loud music unless you're talking about music from headphones?  If that's the case, then yes I agree.  I don't know why people can't invest in earbuds that don't leak out the sound. I have a pair and I play my music loud sometimes, but no one near me can hear because they don't let out any noise.

As for the two brats crying, well guess what? Even the parents were telling them to shut up and they eventually did because it was rather ridiculous how they were acting, like spoiled brats.  Some kids cry over every little thing, and there were two of them, and the whole subway car was quiet aside from them, but yes I get it.  Sometimes kids need to cry, and sometimes they just like to act out, as was the case here.

Archived