MTA capital plan would renew 7, N and Q subway platforms

realizm

Capture_zps8ae593ea.jpg

Straphangers in western Queens took notice when the MTA proposed its $32 billion capital plan. An overhaul of subway stations along the Astoria line and the No. 7 were included among the agency’s priorities and major objectives for the years 2015 to 2019.

MTA Chairman and CEO Tom Prendergast called the plan a need list rather than a wish, saying, “Every five years the MTA takes a hard look at its system and infrastructure and compiles a capital program to identify and prioritize the investments that will be essential to renew, enhance and expand the system to meet the changing needs of the region, its economy and its residents.”

While Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the plan is bloated, the state’s Capital Program Review Board vetoed it, calling for the MTA to revise and re-submit the plan. Several elected officials are hoping the $140 million the agency budgeted for stations along the No. 7 line, and the $110 million for the Astoria line will stay intact.

“The announcement that the MTA is planning to conduct station work in Astoria’s N/Q stations is sorely needed,” City Councilman Costa Constantinides (D-Astoria) said. “This work would bring positive change in our neighborhood’s transit experience. I am especially happy that the Astoria Boulevard station would receive additional funding so that it can become fully ADA accessible. I urge the state to adopt the MTA’s capital budget plan so that these improvements can occur.”

Read more: Source

Wow so what happened to the Sea Beach line? Like no mention of it whatsoever. The Sea Beach Line is part of the N line after all and needs rehabilitation the most.

Well it amazes me that Cuomo is calling absolutely necessary rennovations as 'bloated'. Totally backwards on rapid transit I tell you.

Just checked the MTA Capital Dashboard..

Yup the Sea Beach rehab is still on scedule to begin next month in November starting with 8th Avenue and 20th Avenue. The major work to begin on the benchwalls on the open cut ROW will start at the same time.

I think the Queens Bvld CBTC project took a massive hit, the contract disappeared from the site, cant find it.

Yup the Sea Beach rehab is still on scedule to begin next month in November starting with 8th Avenue and 20th Avenue. The major work to begin on the benchwalls on the open cut ROW will start at the same time.

I think the Queens Bvld CBTC project took a massive hit, the contract disappeared from the site, cant find it.

Dratts I sure hope not, the CBTC project is massively needed.

It was a better idea to work on the (A) line from 80 Street to Ozone Park because the stations are worn out and I am tired of waiting at Rockaway Blvd for a train to Far Rockaway and little space at the station. My point is that more work needs to be done on the BMT Lines because they are not having qualities and there are tons of people who go to these stations.

If they're gonna do any work on the (N) line, they need to fix up the stations from Fort Hamilton Parkway to 86th Street. It's gotten to the point where i'm actually afraid to lean up against the columns. That's how dirty and disgusting they are. I get that they need to work on the tracks and all, but the peeling and grimy look/feel of those stations is disgraceful and has been ignored for much too long.

If they're gonna do any work on the (N) line, they need to fix up the stations from Fort Hamilton Parkway to 86th Street. It's gotten to the point where i'm actually afraid to lean up against the columns. That's how dirty and disgusting they are. I get that they need to work on the tracks and all, but the peeling and grimy look/feel of those stations is disgraceful and has been ignored for much too long.

I know exactly what u mean....Sea Beach is Horrible

I'm glad the Astoria Line is getting the attention it deserves.  It's not hard to notice the wear and tear on all of their stations.  Astoria Blvd. is one of the busiest stops on the M60 SBS route to LaGuardia, and it should have been made ADA-accessible years ago.  Ridership in Astoria is also increasing rapidly, and spacing on platforms and stairwells need to be addressed.  I just hope the funding doesn't fall through...

I'm glad the Astoria Line is getting the attention it deserves.  It's not hard to notice the wear and tear on all of their stations.  Astoria Blvd. is one of the busiest stops on the M60 SBS route to LaGuardia, and it should have been made ADA-accessible years ago.  Ridership in Astoria is also increasing rapidly, and spacing on platforms and stairwells need to be addressed.  I just hope the funding doesn't fall through...

You apparently haven't been on the (N) past 8th Avenue because if you have, you'd be saying that those stations need the most attention seeing how disgusting they are.

You apparently haven't been on the (N) past 8th Avenue because if you have, you'd be saying that those stations need the most attention seeing how disgusting they are.

I've seen the Sea Beach Line, the Nassau Street Line, the Dyre Avenue Line, and many other lines that are in a state of disrepair.  I'm not saying that any of these should be neglected.  I'm saying that the Astoria Line needs renovations to handle its passenger load.  Stations along the Astoria Line are falling apart faster than many outer borough lines because of their sheer volume of commuters.

I've seen the Sea Beach Line, the Nassau Street Line, the Dyre Avenue Line, and many other lines that are in a state of disrepair.  I'm not saying that any of these should be neglected.  I'm saying that the Astoria Line needs renovations to handle its passenger load.  Stations along the Astoria Line are falling apart faster than many outer borough lines because of their sheer volume of commuters.

Health concerns come before passenger load.

Archived