Which is the Best Express?

ConcourseExp

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will forever be loyal to my (B) train, but honestly though, the 6th Avenue Express doesn't have that...."express" feel considering it only skips 2 stops. But with the (Q) stopping at 49 St as well, it loses that "express" feeling.

For me at least.

IND because it makes so much more sense. So in that case the 6th Av Express. The reason why there are so many stops is because of the IND logic, which also explains the lack of express stops on CPW. Every lane basically functions as a feeder for the short yet larger trunks. Anyway, the design is revolutionary in terms of subway, and not many other subways are able to rival it. All in all, the 6th Av Express is better in my opinion.

Those trains on the Sixth Avenue Line really book through the tunnels I'm glad many are noticing it, the 6th Avenuie express tunnels is one of the many 50 MPH speed zones in the system. It makes sense because back in 1968 when the MTA built it (unfinished work from the IND) they built it with the idea in mind that the SAS will be a high speed rapid traisnt rail system. (Which is why the R44s were such incredibly fast cars in tests on the LIRR whehe they would hit 80 MPH)

Its really hard to say. The headways are excellent on all BMT 4th Avenue Line routes during the beginning of the AM rush. Under the right scenario for service the N or Q can get you to Manhattan just as quickly as the B or D through the Christie Street connection. The only thing is that the N and Q must follow a longer path along Broadway to get to Midtown but thats only by not even three minutes.

IND because it makes so much more sense. So in that case the 6th Av Express. The reason why there are so many stops is because of the IND logic, which also explains the lack of express stops on CPW. Every lane basically functions as a feeder for the short yet larger trunks. Anyway, the design is revolutionary in terms of subway, and not many other subways are able to rival it. All in all, the 6th Av Express is better in my opinion.

You are not the only one. The original IND was definitely built for speed they also brought the all important concept of flying junctions, and all-concrete roadbeds moving away from wooden ties and ballast. These IND engineers definitely knew what they were doing.

* Heck I love my N train but I'll go with the D, thats a true MTA era line right there same with the B.

If I had my choice in terms of the best IRT line I would have voted for the 7 express from 34th Street in Manhattan to Main Street, Flushing. Wait until CBTC is finally activated on this line with the R188 cars...

OK sticking with the topic the 2 and 3 trains on the 7th Avenue line has some of the fastest runs in the subway system. There should be four complete speed zones on the four track section of the trunk line, Chambers Street to 14th Street, 14th Street to Times Square then to 72nd Street and 96th Street. Its all about speed, thats why we refer to the R62s on the 3 as the 'Red Rocket'. Its a really fast line especially after Chambers Street in the four track sections as it goes uptown to Harlem.

So in terms of speed the IRT 7th Avenue Line is faster then the Lexington Avenue line which has alot of timers along its path citing passenger safety concerns and possible points for accidental derailments if that is the Track and Signals division stragedy.

I agree. If the (Q) skipped 49 Street, it would be a good ride. 6 Avenue has a more express feeling since the (B) and (D) don't go on the local tracks..

That will quickly change when the 2nd Avenue line is open to the public a couple of years from now. All Q trains must skip 49th Street to get to next stop: Lexington Avenue/63rd Street.

This explanation here is from a T/O that posted 2 years ago:

Any Broadway "express" heading to/from Queens must use the local tracks north of Herald Sq, because there isn't a punch box at 5 Av-59 St to clarify which downtown train is there. There is a punch box at TSQ for that purpose though, and the diamond crossover switch is located directly before Herald Sq, allowing the following downtown train via the local track to enter TSQ without being held in the tunnel first. This is something that 57 St-7 Av cannot offer, since the diamond switches are located just south of that station and a train already in the station must wait for a line up, which can keep the following downtown train behind either in the tunnel or at 5 Av-59 St (waiting to proceed).

There's also a punch box at 57 St-7 Av on the uptown side and you COULD run express all the way from Canal to the aforementioned station, but some rush hour (N) and (Q) trains short turn at either TSQ or 57 St-7 Av, and get stored on the express tracks between TSQ and 57 St-7 Av, due to ongoing track work being done at Lex Av-63 St, as part of the SAS project.

This explanation here is from a T/O that posted 2 years ago:

Any Broadway "express" heading to/from Queens must use the local tracks north of Herald Sq, because there isn't a punch box at 5 Av-59 St to clarify which downtown train is there. There is a punch box at TSQ for that purpose though, and the diamond crossover switch is located directly before Herald Sq, allowing the following downtown train via the local track to enter TSQ without being held in the tunnel first. This is something that 57 St-7 Av cannot offer, since the diamond switches are located just south of that station and a train already in the station must wait for a line up, which can keep the following downtown train behind either in the tunnel or at 5 Av-59 St (waiting to proceed).

There's also a punch box at 57 St-7 Av on the uptown side and you COULD run express all the way from Canal to the aforementioned station, but some rush hour (N) and (Q) trains short turn at either TSQ or 57 St-7 Av, and get stored on the express tracks between TSQ and 57 St-7 Av, due to ongoing track work being done at Lex Av-63 St, as part of the SAS project.

Exactly. See the BMT Broadway line was originally designed to have its express tracks run to 125th Street via Central Park West using the Morningside Spur.

57th Street wasnt supposed to be the last stop for all Broadway express service but then circumstances changed with the IND 8th Avenue Line being completely built so a Broadway BMT connection wasnt necessary, but the spurs still exist.

But now that problem is fixed - The MTA is using that original provision to run trains on the middle tracks but instead of the CPW to Harlem as they originally intended to but in 1918, they will send trains through the 63rd Street line then Second Avenue to 125th Street and in the future, the Bronx or Lower Manhattan with new construction starting in 2016.

So that means in the future, all Q trains switch to the express tracks from the Manhattan Bridge then continue to Midtown and 57th Street then 63rdSt/Lexington Avenue and finally 72nd Street via Second Avenue.

===========================================================================================

• Phase I: An extension of the Broadway Q from 63rd Street to 96th Street, with new stations at 72nd, 86th, and 96th Street; the Q would continue to be a Broadway Express train below the 72nd Street Station (this is currently under construction and expected to be completed in 2015);
  • Phase II: An extension of the Q line to 125th Street, with new stations at 106th, 116th, and 125th Street (connection to 4, 5, 6, and Metro-North); this phase would include tracks that would allow the line to continue along 125th Street and/or into the Bronx;

============================================================================================

I meant to add that the (A) is twice as better as the (B)(D) during rush hours or anytime because it helps people who want to take those two trains because it is taking the ease of riders who take the (C) or (E).

Archived