Andrew Cuomo Announces Random Ebola Drills On New York Subway

Q113 LTD

Here is the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/16/andrew-cuomo-ebola-subway-drills_n_5999108.html

n-ANDREW-CUOMO-large570.jpg

If you're planning to ride the New York subway in the next few days, you may get more than you bargained for.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will begin carrying out random Ebola-response drills across the train system.

"We'll run drills where someone is on a New York City subway train, and that person becomes ill under circumstances one might think that person might be an Ebola candidate," Cuomo told press at a news briefing. "How do you handle the case from the New York City subway system to an ambulance to the right hospital? Those practical drills are going to be what we're moving to, on an unannounced basis."

Cuomo also suggested that an Ebola patient will eventually end up in New York, though he acknowledged that "the anxiety is higher than the probability" of a dangerous outbreak occurring in the city.

"We've been operating under the assumption that at some point we would have to deal with an Ebola case," he said.

The governor did not provide details about what will happen during the subway drills or say how frequently they will occur. He did, however, praise the courage of the MTA employees who will be involved. "This is not in their job description," Cuomo said. "It's not what you sign up for when you're a transit worker."

(MTA) CEO Thomas Prendergast explained that drills give staff a chance to practice new protocols, from disposing of infected materials to safely moving a suspected Ebola victim from the subway to one of the 8 designated New York hospitals the governor says are prepared to treat patients with the virus.

Neither Cuomo nor Prendergast addressed how random subway drills might affect the public. At this point, many subway riders are familiar with images of health workers clad in full-body gear to protect themselves while handling infected patients. Seeing transit workers board their train car without warning -- outfitted in the same gear -- could reasonably cause passengers to panic, believing someone near them has Ebola.

The governor told Charlie Rose in an interview on Tuesday that he thinks "a little anxiety can be healthy" when dealing with crises like Ebola. "But we have to watch what we say and how we say it, because panic is never productive," he added.

When a reporter asked Thursday if his new measures went too far, Cuomo explained that he'd rather be safe than sorry. "Our operating model is 'err on the side of caution,'" he said.

I really do not think Ebola is the threat some view it as. It is tragic to see the people of Western Africa deal with this, but it is not the threat to American society that some proclaim this to be. 

I agree, but you have a number of elected officials in hotly contested races where the opponent would otherwise use the Ebola issue as a way to "scare" people into voting for them.  That's why there is talk of the travel bans even though most experts clearly say there is no realistic threat for most people.

I really doubt they will do these during rush hour, when all the passengers would probably rip the suits off these guys in order to get to work on time. They usually do these kinsd of drills early on a Sunday morning or really late at night. 

Yeah, and my teacher will get mad for no reason.

I'm parachuting in a little late on this, but:

1) Cuomo, you assclown. I can't even begin to describe how massively stupid this drill idea is. Goodness gracious.

2) Ebola has already been contained in Nigeria and Senegal, and healthcare workers outside of Africa who caught it are on the mend, which means the "crisis" is over, pending expiration of the incubation period for all those who came in contact with the guy who came to Texas with it. Once people got serious about it and followed protocol, this actually-very-difficult-to-spread virus has stopped spreading. The only thing happening at this point is waiting for those infected to reach an outcome and for incubation period to pass.

3) Cuomo, you assclown.

Practice makes perfect.

So every time someone vomits on a train, we assume it's ebola?

It's the same fear mongering American politicians always use to score points. The people who need to practice anything are the clean-up crews, who definitely DO need to be trained (and have proper equipment) to contain and destroy any infectious materials, but that can be done at a yard. The MTA still have any R110s around?

So every time someone vomits on a train, we assume it's ebola?

It's the same fear mongering American politicians always use to score points. The people who need to practice anything are the clean-up crews, who definitely DO need to be trained (and have proper equipment) to contain and destroy any infectious materials, but that can be done at a yard. The MTA still have any R110s around?

Yeah I agree they should have some type of location to do drills that won't effect people from commuting. I guess they don't want to spend the extra money to build a location to do drills. 

These drills are important for having responders deal with containing any number of Haz-Mat or contagion emergencies. These types of drills are done by the NYPD, FDNY, PAPD, etc., on a fairly regular basis. They are just publicizing it more and increasing the number because of Ebola. 

By the way, after 9/11, the MTA created a Haz-Mat team of employee volunteers. Is that still around?

First terrorism the this so called Ebola scare in drills what does Cuomo want to secede as a city state then install martial law? Told you all commishiners are the damn same all about oppressing the people who are poor over petty crimes.

Makes me want to say the heck with the subways get a car and drive! Aint putting up with this crap.

Did anyone hear about the doctor who traveled around the city and got Ebola? I heard he was at the highline, rode the (1)(A) and  (L) lines, went bowling in Brooklyn, and ate at a meatball restaurant.

I heard all of it on CNN when they first reported about the NY doctor who possible has ebola around 4 or 5pm. After waiting for hours for the news conference to start, I was shock that it was confirmed he has ebola. When they mention that he rode the (1)(A) & (L)  trains, I am still piss about it because one of the subways that he rode on, I take the (A) .

I actually saw a photo in Daily News showing riders wearing face masks at West 4th Street station after hearing Dr. Spencer had rode the  (A) train the day officials announced he had ebola.  

I was gonna post an article about it but didn't know how. My parents told me about the (A) and (L).

Archived