Quit Whining, Brooklyn – Your Subways Aren’t That Crowded

RailRunRob

Seems like they wanna diss Brooklyn and give Manhattan all the attention.

Hey you know where all the workers come from? Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and SI. If you want workers, you need to give them good transport options.

If we at all adequately funded our transit system, the goal would be 60% of capacity, not 100%. Claiming service is only crowded when over 100% is a terrible practice that only leads to dangerous overcrowding.

It is true, though, that in Brooklyn there's a lot more car-specific crowding than in Manhattan. Especially on elevated platforms with a single entrance point, people are much less spread out. At 62 St n/b on the D, the last car is almost dangerous to access given how narrow the platform gets by the entrance stairs.

The article is 100% correct about the (2)(3). More and more East New York, Brownsville, Crown Heights and Flatbush residents work in the east side than the west side. That's why the (4)(5) run much more frequently and their headways are similar to the ones coming out of the Bronx during the morning rush hour.

Crowds (at times) return at Atlantic-Barclays on the (2)(3), however, and then they both empty out again as they go further uptown through the west side.

This is a perfect example of first drawing your conclusions, then finding the data to support it. The key is what are the standards that deternine if a train is full? How much square feet per standee and is that comfortable enough for a long trip? That is not discussed. Also, how does crowding vary from car to car. A train being only 67% full may mean some cars are too crowded for someone to board the first train.You can't just make believe that crowding is evenly spread throughout the train especially when you can no longer walk between cars. How often are there delays that throw off this entire plan? You can't make believe that everything runs as planned all the time.

Also, I like the part about improvements being made as planned. When has that ever happened? The improvements must be made first before crowding is increased worse than it is today through any upzoning. You don't increase density today assuming you will be able to run more trains later, when you may not be able to by the time the new housing is completed.You have to consider all the variables when doing long range planning, not only the ones that support our conclusions. We made one mistake by tearing down the Third Avenue L before building the Second Avenue Subway. Let's not repeat that mistake by first increasing demand before increasing capacity.

This is a perfect example of first drawing your conclusions, then finding the data to support it. The key is what are the standards that deternine if a train is full? How much square feet per standee and is that comfortable enough for a long trip? That is not discussed. Also, how does crowding vary from car to car. A train being only 67% full may mean some cars are too crowded for someone to board the first train.You can't just make believe that crowding is evenly spread throughout the train especially when you can no longer walk between cars. How often are there delays that throw off this entire plan? You can't make believe that everything runs as planned all the time.

Also, I like the part about improvements being made as planned. When has that ever happened? The improvements must be made first before crowding is increased worse than it is today through any upzoning. You don't increase density today assuming you will be able to run more trains later, when you may not be able to by the time the new housing is completed.You have to consider all the variables when doing long range planning, not only the ones that support our conclusions. We made one mistake by tearing down the Third Avenue L before building the Second Avenue Subway. Let's not repeat that mistake by first increasing demand before increasing capacity.

ever used metro north it ain't far off.

If I'm not mistaken, the loading guidelines for a 60 feet equipment is 128 people per car (or about 180 people if it's a 75 feet equipment-A cab or 192 people if it's a 75 feet equipment-B cab). And finally, the loading guideline for a 51 feet equipment is about 104 people per car.

Pretty crowded? Yeah. But it shouldn't be "overcrowded", "packed", "full", "crushloaded" etc. These guidelines are all during the morning/evening peak commutes (and other busier times of the day).

Am I mistaken or nah?

The subways are crowded enough in this borough... The subways are crowded, period.

As if Brooklynites have no leg to stand on when it comes subway crowding.

What the hell is the point of conveying to riders - Oh, your trains can handle a lot more riders.

In short, to whoever the rhode scholar(s) is/are that concocted this article, STFU....

I see why a few people I know personally have a disdain for bloggers.......

People have disdain for many blogs and bloggers because many are unprofessional (often resorting to profanity to get a point across), opinionated, don't take the time to research properly or otherwise perform investigative acts, and smug.

They are not experts, yet they talk like them.

Someone who has been studying, or works daily in the environment of, a topic, is far more informed than someone who happens to pass through it every so often.

The premise behind this article is asinine....

Crowding is more severe in much of Queens, the Bronx, and Upper Manhattan, where chokepoints lead to stuffed trains up and down the line, limiting opportunities for new housing development.

Yes, yes, moron(s)..... There are more subway lines running in all of Brooklyn, to that of Queens, upper Manhattan, and the Bronx.....

Let's give a collective clap smack to the author(s) of the article here for such a startling discovery here.... 

A shove, a few banana peels, and an open manhole cover in today's slick weather should await the author(s) of this article.

People have disdain for many blogs and bloggers because many are unprofessional (often resorting to profanity to get a point across), opinionated, don't take the time to research properly or otherwise perform investigative acts, and smug.

Someone who has been studying, or works daily in the environment of, a topic, is far more informed than someone who happens to pass through it every so often.

Exactly..... The arrogant authoritativeness exuded in that particular nonsense is strong..... Which is why I'll continue to be condescending when I end up coming across articles/blogposts like this one....

I mean, yes, everyone has an opinion & an a**hole, but should it really give anyone carte blanche to fart all over the place....

Stupidity peeves the shit out of me..... But I digress...

---------------------

I'm outta here for now... As a Brooklynite, let me "quit whining", you know, since this (Q) I'm about to take isn't "that crowded"....

They are just someone to laugh at.....

• 2 weeks later...

There's a difference between your car being 100% full, and your train being 100% full.

I took your comment into consideration and I've begun moving through cars instead of staying in one, I've still come to the conclusion that I do not have to hold on to a pole or lean on a door during my commutes. Since the day of your comment until this past Friday, during the times of 930 in the morning through 1030 in the morning. The results were 80% the same. I guess it's just me eh.

I took your comment into consideration and I've begun moving through cars instead of staying in one, I've still come to the conclusion that I do not have to hold on to a pole or lean on a door during my commutes. Since the day of your comment until this past Friday, during the times of 930 in the morning through 1030 in the morning. The results were 80% the same. I guess it's just me eh.

If I remember correctly, the results are also averaged out between a one or two-hour timespan, and might also depend on the time of year when they take their results (I haven't looked at the MTC methodology in a while). It could also be that trains do not stay crowded consistently for an extended period of time.

Archived