Could the BxM4C be a Select Bus Service?

ConcourseExp

I don't think Bee-Line will give BxM4C to (MTA). NYCDOT give Route 28 a BxM4C prefix according to Bee-Line officials.

There is study for BRT along Central Park Av to make it W21 LTD full BRT service 7-day and BRT name could be called Queens Bee Rapid.

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/BRT_FinalReport.pdf.

As part of that there is already Transit Signal Prioty for Bee-Line buses traveling along Central Park Av.

If anything Bee-Line has been trying to deter ridership on the BxM4C.  Slashed service significantly, then they removed Downtown service and then they raised the fare to $7.50...

trust me they did a very good job at doing so. They lost me with the fare increase I will not pay $7.50 to sit in traffic. Been burned a few times never again. I used to take bm5 to bxm4c not anymore. Now myself and many Westchester bound riders just use metro-north.

Might as well just take Metro North. SBS's are basically a cheaper alternative to new heavy rail systems to bring rapid service to new corridors, and unless the Harlem Line less than a mile away is over capacity or in whatever way not enough for the people in that valley, there would be no reason to have SBS. The express service is likely fast enough.

Might as well just take Metro North. SBS's are basically a cheaper alternative to new heavy rail systems to bring rapid service to new corridors, and unless the Harlem Line less than a mile away is over capacity or in whatever way not enough for the people in that valley, there would be no reason to have SBS. The express service is likely fast enough.

The Harlem Line could use some relief. They really need to add service, esp. on weekends.  Sundays those trains are so packed going to Manhattan from Westchester that you can barely get off.  Ridiculous.

trust me they did a very good job at doing so. They lost me with the fare increase I will not pay $7.50 to sit in traffic. Been burned a few times never again. I used to take bm5 to bxm4c not anymore. Now myself and many Westchester bound riders just use metro-north.

Please. Those who want comfort and aren't in a rush still use the BxM4C.  Whenever I go to Westchester, I take the BxM4 up to Katonah and get picked up from there. I can get a nice nap, and the bus while crowded isn't packed to the rafters like Metro-North is.  The idea of paying $10.00+ and having to stand does not sit well with me at all.

The Harlem Line could use some relief. They really need to add service, esp. on weekends. Sundays those trains are so packed going to Manhattan from Westchester that you can barely get off. Ridiculous.

Please. Those who want comfort and aren't in a rush still use the BxM4C. Whenever I go to Westchester, I take the BxM4 up to Katonah and get picked up from there. I can get a nice nap, and the bus while crowded isn't packed to the rafters like Metro-North is. The idea of paying $10.00+ and having to stand does not sit well with me at all.

people need to get to work ON TIME!!! extra comfort is not worth losing a job over. Plus those crushed Harlem trains you speak of come mostly from upper Harlem express trains rather than South of white plains Ltd's and locals. Most riders at peak times have monthly passes and are likely paying less than bxm4c riders.

2 miles per hour on I 87 ain't fast. Plus the trains have a way to go before getting to Lexington levels. Scarsdale has peak express trains. Many with room to spare if using stations north of there.

people need to get to work ON TIME!!! extra comfort is not worth losing a job over. Plus those crushed Harlem trains you speak of come mostly from upper Harlem express trains rather than South of white plains Ltd's and locals. Most riders at peak times have monthly passes and are likely paying less than bxm4c riders.

2 miles per hour on I 87 ain't fast. Plus the trains have a way to go before getting to Lexington levels. Scarsdale has peak express trains. Many with room to spare if using stations north of there.

1. But people do get to work on-time, if not, earlier when they use the BxM4C...ridership wouldn't exist if they didn't :P

2. You're basing this on the idea that all BxM4Cs get caught in traffic, which is false. But you are right with the trains, it'll be a while before they reach those levels. The New Haven line is almost there, if not, it's already there.

And you're misunderstanding his point, the point is that the BxM4C eliminates all the hustle and bustle that most people endure with the MNRR. Most of the riders that take the BxM4C live right along the line and along local bus lines that they will not ride for various reasons, one being that the buses don't always connect with the trains. Granted, trains do run frequently, but once you reach that bottleneck that is Manhattan, the time it takes to arrive into Grand Central is more than one would think.

1. But people do get to work on-time, if not, earlier when they use the BxM4C...ridership wouldn't exist if they didn't :P

2. You're basing this on the idea that all BxM4Cs get caught in traffic, which is false. But you are right with the trains, it'll be a while before they reach those levels. The New Haven line is almost there, if not, it's already there.

And you're misunderstanding his point, the point is that the BxM4C eliminates all the hustle and bustle that most people endure with the MNRR. Most of the riders that take the BxM4C live right along the line and along local bus lines that they will not ride for various reasons, one being that the buses don't always connect with the trains. Granted, trains do run frequently, but once you reach that bottleneck that is Manhattan, the time it takes to arrive into Grand Central is more than one would think.

OK you make a good point your right. I guess I am bitter from getting burned by the 4c on multiple occasions and back to back to boot just a miserable experience. I will admit the W65 &8 was always there for me when I need it. The 30 can do better though.

Aside from that, most folks know how much extra time to add in for their commutes.

The MTA has to at lease try to come up with a compromise to generate a one way service that would that up less service from White Plains to whatever the BXM4C terminates at.

Why? The BxM4C is out of the MTA's jurisdiction. That's something you gotta preach to Westchester County.

The MTA has to at lease try to come up with a compromise to generate a one way service that would that up less service from White Plains to whatever the BXM4C terminates at.

and this is urgent because? Boosting W21 and local service in the county is way more important it isn't that serious.

Why? The BxM4C is out of the MTA's jurisdiction. That's something you gotta preach to Westchester County.

true but considering what they did to the 4c I don't think they care.

and this is urgent because? Boosting W21 and local service in the county is way more important it isn't that serious.

You two understood what he was tryna say? Because I sure as hell didn't.......

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, the Select Bus Service brand is a NYCDOT/MTA brand only. No other bus system can use that brand. Second of all, why would an express route need any kind of BRT service ? It does pick up only in one borough and drop off only in another borough. Don't over complicate simplicity.

Archived