Why are so many depots short on artics?

Via Garibaldi 8

I've been noticing that on quite a few routes that are usually 100% artic, I've been seeing quite a few 40 footers.  M79 is one of them that really needs artics all of the time.  Last night while I was on the BxM4 up and down the Concourse I saw 40 footers, which is not the first time I've seen this either, but it seems to be becoming more common.  I thought the (MTA) bought more artics, so what's the story?  Is maintenance becoming worse or what?

I noticed more orions on the Bx1 and Bx2 as well. I also saw an orion on the Q44 not that long ago. My guess is for matenence on these artics. If I'm correct, that's why the nova artics in the 1200's are getting unwrapped from SBS at Gun Hill depot.

I find the whole thing ridiculous.  They need to get on some of these depots with poor maintenance.  I was talking with a buddy of mine last night who worked out of College Point for a while and I couldn't believe some of the stories he told me about the condition of their buses and how they would send them out.  Just downright dangerous.  Management is so lax over there that the B/O's just run the buses into the ground and no one could care less.

On one crosstown trip I did in the Bronx this week, I saw a 40-footer on the Bx2, Bx9, Bx39, and Bx41 (local), and I saw them all in one sitting.

The "SMS"-ing of 1200-1289 (more so with the buses in the Bronx) and with GH swapping its SBS fleet has created quite a situation. I've also seen buses that I thought were scrapped already back in service (5392, 5410, etc.)

So is that the reason or it just poor maintenance of what? I don't understand how they can be short when they're supposedly buying all of these new artics.

So is that the reason or it just poor maintenance of what? I don't understand how they can be short when they're supposedly buying all of these new artics.

That's one great question i can't even answer

It is likely maintenance, but I can't say for sure. And just to point out, the new artics delivered will not likely start service until late 2015(MTA bus) and maybe mid-2016(NYCT bus).

They have already been going for overhauls...

Yup I been on 2 of em lately with the plastic seats. Gotta admit it feels weird riding a 1200 with those.

Umm, they REPLACED other buses not added on to them. The LFSAs having alot of problems too.

Umm, they REPLACED other buses not added on to them. The LFSAs having alot of problems too.

They also had MASSIVE service cuts back in 2010, so they should need fewer buses, not more of them, especially given how stingy they've been with the few service restorations and additions.  If anything I'm willing to bet that LFSAs are part of the problem, and the (MTA) not maintaining their buses.  They buy new buses and then let the depots that get the destroy them then start having bus shortages... Typical.  <_<

They also had MASSIVE service cuts back in 2010, so they should need fewer buses, not more of them, especially given how stingy they've been with the few service restorations and additions.  If anything I'm willing to bet that LFSAs are part of the problem, and the (MTA) not maintaining their buses.  They buy new buses and then let the depots that get the destroy them then start having bus shortages... Typical.  <_<

And they added service over the past year on quite a lot of lines...including artic routes. The replacement of older buses is also a problem, there's little to no spare factor in the depots affected(after all, you did say you wanted the older ones gone  :rolleyes:).

What also became a huge problem is the debacle with the Q10, they were given the worst of the artics, then swapped out for more "newer" artics, directly affecting NYC Bus's artic fleet and sending some of the worst batch the Q10 received to retirement. That overall caused a whole hot mess of issues. This is where most of the issues started from in my opinion.

As for the person who mentioned seeing 40fters on the Bx1 or 2, that's normal. It's not because of an artic issue, it's a run scenario.

For the person who mentioned seeing 40fters on the Bx1 or 2, that's normal. It's not because of an artic issue, it's a run scenario.

I never said that it's not normal for the Bx1/2 to have 40fters, I mean't I saw a lot more 40fters on the routes lately. Lately, there would be 4 40fters on the routes in the daytime, then one or two more during the night each day. 

I usually see them once a week, not 6 times a day.

I never said that it's not normal for the Bx1/2 to have 40fters, I mean't I saw a lot more 40fters on the routes lately. Lately, there would be 4 40fters on the routes in the daytime, then one or two more during the night each day. 

And they added service over the past year on quite a lot of lines...including artic routes. The replacement of older buses is also a problem, there's little to no spare factor in the depots affected(after all, you did say you wanted the older ones gone  :rolleyes:).

What also became a huge problem is the debacle with the Q10, they were given the worst of the artics, then swapped out for more "newer" artics, directly affecting NYC Bus's artic fleet and sending some of the worst batch the Q10 received to retirement. That overall caused a whole hot mess of issues. This is where most of the issues started from in my opinion.

As for the person who mentioned seeing 40fters on the Bx1 or 2, that's normal. It's not because of an artic issue, it's a run scenario.

Yeah but you usually don't see so many on the Bx1 and Bx2 as others have said.  There's also too much swapping going on.  They need to hold each depot to the same maintenance standards.  That's the real problem.  One depot with great maintenance and other depot with terrible maintenance...

Some of those could be run dependent, as in whatever run they had could've interlined with the Bx1/2. Often times, they just go into service with the bus they have instead of having to go back to the depot just to exchange buses.

I noticed more orions on the Bx1 and Bx2 as well. I also saw an orion on the Q44 not that long ago. My guess is for matenence on these artics. If I'm correct, that's why the nova artics in the 1200's are getting unwrapped from SBS at Gun Hill depot.

Maybe it's maintenance in general.  I've heard that some Staten Island maintainers won't even look at a bus until after their shifts have ended and overtime has kicked in.  If management refuses to approve overtime, then nothing gets maintained. 

Yeah but you usually don't see so many on the Bx1 and Bx2 as others have said.  There's also too much swapping going on.  They need to hold each depot to the same maintenance standards.  That's the real problem.  One depot with great maintenance and other depot with terrible maintenance...

Some of those could be run dependent, as in whatever run they had could've interlined with the Bx1/2. Often times, they just go into service with the bus they have instead of having to go back to the depot just to exchange buses.

And to add, you'll see a good number of artics on the M100. Doesn't mean the M100 is short on 40-footers. Just means the runs are interlined. I recall seeing on tracker one day about 8 or 9 of them out of about 18 total buses.

And to add, you'll see a good number of artics on the M100. Doesn't mean the M100 is short on 40-footers. Just means the runs are interlined. I recall seeing on tracker one day about 8 or 9 of them out of about 18 total buses.

Actually a B/O out of Kingsbridge confirmed the set up with the M100. Some of it is buses being interlined, but some of the buses they get is because they are short on 40 footers, so they will use artics on the M100 to free up some 40 footers.

Maybe it's maintenance in general.  I've heard that some Staten Island maintainers won't even look at a bus until after their shifts have ended and overtime has kicked in.  If management refuses to approve overtime, then nothing gets maintained. 

That's ridiculous...

LMAO... Sure just cut the service... That's very easy to do...

sorry dude but he is right the bx4 doesn't really need 60 ft buses those buses are almost never full at least when I see em. For a route with poor headways and massive duplication 40 ft buses are more than enough. No he wasn't suggesting a frequency reduction on the bx4 calm down. On a side note the MTA even threatened to cut the bx4 completely at one point.

sorry dude but he is right the bx4 doesn't really need 60 ft buses those buses are almost never full at least when I see em. For a route with poor headways and massive duplication 40 ft buses are more than enough. No he wasn't suggesting a frequency reduction on the bx4 calm down. On a side note the MTA even threatened to cut the bx4 completely at one point.

Sorry "dude" <_<, but the wouldn't put 60 footers on the route just because...

Honestly, I don't see why the Bx4 has artics in the first place....

Do you use the route for the entire length? If not then maybe that's the reason why you can't figure it out. The Bx4 has more ridership than the Bx5, and the Bx5 also uses artics...

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus_annual.htm

If the (MTA) needs artics badly, why not take the Bx4's? It duplicates the (2)(5)(6) and is not that crowded when I ride it, even rush hours.

It always baffles me why the Bx4 has Artics, I can understand it being a route with 40FT buses but artics? That along with the M34 getting SBS before a route like the Bx19 puzzles me..

Archived