NYPD officer caught on tape smashing alleged fare beater in head with baton at Bklyn train station

TDXNYC88

A brutal video catches an NYPD officer bash an alleged fare beater in the head with a baton, opening a gash in the man’s head and sending him stumbling around the Brooklyn subway station in a daze.

Blood spurted from the cut and sprayed witnesses and the walls at the Myrtle Avenue (J)(M)(Z) stop during the arrest Thursday just before 8 p.m., Marielle Anas told the Daily News.

“It was one of the most awful things I’ve ever seen,” Anas, 28, said. “I have blood all over my jeans. The brutality of the nightstick – it was crazy. It looked like his head exploded. I couldn’t believe I was seeing it happen.”

Anas was on her way home from work when she stumbled upon the scene in the mezzanine area of the Bushwick station. The man was sitting on a wooden bench as the officer towered over the alleged fare beater and threw at least three punches at the baby-faced man’s head.

“The kid wasn’t doing anything – that’s why I started recording,” Anas said. “If he can't subdue this kid – he wasn’t even resisting that much!”

As Anas began filming, other bystanders, including the man’s girlfriend, began to yell at the officer to stop the beatdown. Anas went to call 911 just as the officer pulled out his truncheon and cracked the man on the head, sending him reeling across the room in a daze as blood poured from his skull.

Another clip, first obtained by PIX 11, captures the officer brutally arresting the man, identified as 20-year-old Donovan Lawson, and using the nightstick across his head, reportedly in violation of New York Police Department policy.

“Everyone was horrified,” Anas said. “There were at least 30 or 40 people that gathered. It just seemed so obvious that it was unnecessary violence.”

The NYPD Internal Affairs Unit is investigating the incident, according to PIX 11. Lawson has no prior arrest, a source told the station, but was arrested for fare beating, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and disrupting government administration.

The NYPD did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Lawson was hospitalized for his head wound, as was the officer, who reportedly had hand and wrist injuries.

Anas said police frequently harass young people in the station “for no reason.” She tried to get the offending officer’s badge number, but was rebuffed by officers who ordered bystanders to clear the station.

“It’s just so jarring,” Anas said, remembering almost breaking down as she made the short walk home. “It was horrible. I couldn’t believe my eyes.”

SOURCES:

Well he should pay his fare and then he wouldn't have any problems...  <_<  Maybe these other knuckle heads will get a clue... I'm not condoning violence, but the riding public is sick of having to pay their fare and the fare of these farebeaters.

I just saw the video and see that the cop was black... So much for hiring minorities to deal with police brutality... Just goes to show that minority cops can be just as brutal with youths as white cops... lol

OMG! That cop needs to be charged or even arrested because that is too brutal. Bashing someone's head open like that is definitely not okay. Farebeating and basic resisting arrest with no weapons or anything like that should not require a cop to almost kill the person. Damn. Hard to watch.

Bratton and de Blasio have a real dilemma on their hands.  For years the city's thought process has been, we have to hire minorities that live in NYC and stop hiring white cops that live in the suburbs... Well we're seeing how well that works... <_<  With more and more of these incidents popping up, eventually the city will have to admit that black and Hispanic cops can be just as racist and prone to police brutality as white cops.  And yes I know that the farebeater was black and the cop is black... Doesn't make a difference. It seems as if black cops can be even worse than white cops with minorities.  I don't know why either... They must be resentful from racism that they've experienced.

Bratton and de Blasio have a real dilemma on their hands.  For years the city's thought process has been, we have to hire minorities that live in NYC and stop hiring white cops that live in the suburbs... Well we're seeing how well that works... <_<  With more and more of these incidents popping up, eventually the city will have to admit that black and Hispanic cops can be just as racist and prone to police brutality as white cops.  And yes I know that the farebeater was black and the cop is black... Doesn't make a difference. It seems as if black cops can be even worse than white cops with minorities.  I don't know why either... They must be resentful from racism that they've experienced.

I don't really see this as a racial issue as much as I see it as a brutality issue.

There should be consequences to the man, but I wouldn't beat the shit out of someone if they didn't pay their fare. That's too much.

I would taser him instead. At least no blood comes out.

He didn't deserve a taser, either. Ludicrous use of force by one of the department's animals of officers.

I don't really see this as a racial issue as much as I see it as a brutality issue.

Oh that's right.... Black cops can't be racist against other blacks... <_< That's why the NYPD thinks hiring minorities will solve police brutality yet it has not... If a white cop did this you would have Sharpton calling for marches, but let a black cop do it and no racism is involved... lol

SMFH. Another cop who thinks he's tough sh*t on a power trip decides to beat someone up over a stupid dispute like this. 

What people don't get is the NYPD provides services on the subway under contract with and paid for by the MTA. The MTA could theoretically respond to repeated abuse of its customers by ending the NYPD policing contract for the subways at the end of its next term and bring in the MTAPD. It's an idea and something the TA could do to get back at the NYPD, not like anyone on the MTA board cares about NYPD brutality and would actually consider that (the costs of using in-house police are probably much more than contracting out) anyways.

Oh that's right.... Black cops can't be racist against other blacks... <_< That's why the NYPD thinks hiring minorities will solve police brutality yet it has not... If a white cop did this you would have Sharpton calling for marches, but let a black cop do it and no racism is involved... lol

Just stop, man. I think the word you're looking for is classist, not racist. And personally, I feel that the likes of Sharpton and Jackson are nothing more than race baiters who do little to nothing for the community they claim to protect. Plus, it's funny that you're bringing them up, because your vitriol alone is synonymous with what these guys do every time an opportunity for race-baiting occurs. Pot, meet kettle.

Just stop, man. I think the word you're looking for is classist, not racist. And personally, I feel that the likes of Sharpton and Jackson are nothing more than race baiters who do little to nothing for the community they claim to protect. Plus, it's funny that you're bringing them up, because your vitriol alone is synonymous with what these guys do every time an opportunity for race-baiting occurs. Pot, meet kettle.

lol... So in short you're telling me a black cop can't be racist against black individuals right?

This article below highlights what I'm saying, which is that black on black racial profiling DOES exist:

Today, New Orleans is a majority-black city with a majority-black police department. Yet the kind of race-based harassment and intimidation that the Kerner Commission cited as one of the causes of racial unrest and disorder appears to persist. “Black on black” racial profiling must be part of the problem. Why?

“That’s a question that a lot of people have in their mind,” says David Harris, a professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and author of the book Profiles in Injustice: Why Racial Profiling Cannot Work. The explanation, he says, lies not with the race of the officers involved, but with the training, customs, and culture within the police department. And the answer is not simply to identify and get rid of the bigots within a department, but to change the way the department operates.

“Black officers are going to be trained like all the others,” Harris explains. “They’re going to want to fit in just like all the others.”

http://jostonjustice.blogspot.com/2011/03/black-on-black-racial-profiling-why.html

I know exactly what I'm talking about and the NYPD is stupid enough to believe that by hiring minorities that will stop racial profiling and police brutality... This is something that will grow as time goes on and more people get their phones out and record it. Unfortunately some folks are in denial about it, but it does exist and it isn't "classist" either... It's racist, just as the article states.  Any group of people can be racist... Just food for thought.

This agenda against respecting officers of the law has two proponents behind it, and this is why you are seeing news media that portrays the cops as the bad guys, and the criminals as victims:

-Private prisons, who want to encourage lawlessness as it generates profits for them.

-The uber wealthy, especially private security, since it discredits cops as enforcers of the law and increases the value of private security which isn't a luxury anyone but them can enjoy.

Look at the language. The cop is the primary subject of the article, not the criminal. Yet the criminal causes his actions by farebeating. However, the cop busts him on the head. He didn't have it coming. Meanwhile, he's not a farebeater according to the news...he's an "alleged" farebeater, while witnesses have said he definitely beat the fare. And no mention of his criminal record until you're well into the article, which is further in than most people can read. But hey, as long as you have an attention grabbing headline, and cop bashing is what sells these days...yellow journalism at its finest. How about "Ex Con Violates Parole Over $2.50, With Insult to Injury After Resisting Arrest"?

Look at television. Many of the most popular shows on TV center on making bad guys "good" and the ethics of such shows are complicated. But gone are the days of the traditional, "the cops are good, the robbers are bad". You have murderers being written as the protagonists of shows. Not that some of the shows aren't good, but it takes an educated mind to be able to appreciate the writing in its context, and most people are too dumb to see it. Often, cops, even the FBI, are portrayed as bumbling idiots who need the help of the main character (who either is, or cooperates with, someone criminal) to find the bad guys. The majority of cops and detectives on TV are portrayed as incompetent. This is akin to movies glorifying the high spending Wall Street Excess area ("Wolf of Wall Street", and even going back as far as "Boiler Room" and "Wall Street") yet most successful, ethical investors with money aren't doing those things (Warren Buffett, for example). But they want to encourage an outrageous lifestyle based on consumption of goods and services with that movie.

There is an agenda behind almost everything you see on television, in print, or on media today. 20 years ago it wasn't that way. Children's programming was educational AND interesting, not overstimulating, annoying, and silly (our kids are stupider than ever, lack social skills, and have shorter attention spans as a result).

Race baiting serves an agenda too. If the poor and middle class are too busy fighting with each other, they won't fight the rich and against a government that has historically low approval ratings because it is - not incompetent - but only serving the interests of the rich. Saying "vote for someone else" doesn't work when the political parties have already vetted out the candidates that serve the everyman before the primaries because of the personal fortune needed to run a successful campaign. We are being marginalized, and in many ways already have been.

Race baiting, in ancient Roman terms, or if you've seen the movie "Gladiator" is when Maximus is to the point of challenging the emperor, throwing $100,000 onto the floor of the Roman coliseum and saying audience, whoever is left standing at the end, can keep it. Now instead of challenging the emperor, we fight with each other over stupidity and nonsense, often over "racial incidents" involving a dysfunctional part of the population (criminals whose disregard for law enforcement, and refusal to submit to arrest - which IS a crime - leads to them getting "abused"), and we ignore the billionaires laughing their way to the bank with all the money from all the stupid iPhones we feel we need to buy just to survive, the cable companies who charge us for the "vital" service of being brainwashed by large corporate news, the conglomerates that track our every move (including, sometimes, our location) for the exact purpose of selling us more crap we don't need, the predatory lenders who charge usurious interest rates on debt and simultaneously encourage living above one's means, and the real estate interests that have bought, sold, and paid for every good parcel left of most major cities, limiting most city dwellers to a lifetime of increasing rents, with no equity in the home at the end to show for it.

So rather than us all get pissed off about the whole thing, and, you know, do something, which is historically the only way progress has ever been made over the years - mass action - they throw the race card up and instantly people resort to arguing with each other, and that is assured of never happening.

The idiot in the video deserved what he got. IF A COP ARRESTS YOU, DO NOT RESIST. You will have your day to dispute the charges. But you must comply with the arrest. Be polite and courteous, and there won't be a problem. Do not be confrontational, speak properly, no slang. Cops are people too. What would YOU do if you had to arrest someone you didn't know, or at least bring them in for questioning? At minimum, you would be nervous. Cops are trained to handle situations, not be nervous. Now imagine that nervousness is validated by someone using force to resist arrest, causing harm to you? What would you do? You don't know until you're in that situation. Most people will run away. Well if you're a cop, you CAN'T run away. You are being paid because it's your job NOT to run away when everyone else. The armchair commentators critiquing police just don't understand THAT, and someone somewhere is benefitting from that as it undermines the respect and authority our cops have...which hurts everyone since that's only going to cause upticks in crime in bad areas as criminals feel they can "get away with more" and blame it on the cops when there is inevitably a run in. And people are too stupid to realize it. Because, oh, hey look...a dancing kitten on Facebook.

lol... So in short you're telling me a black cop can't be racist against black individuals right?

This article below highlights what I'm saying, which is that black on black racial profiling DOES exist:

http://jostonjustice.blogspot.com/2011/03/black-on-black-racial-profiling-why.html

I know exactly what I'm talking about and the NYPD is stupid enough to believe that by hiring minorities that will stop racial profiling and police brutality... This is something that will grow as time goes on and more people get their phones out and record it. Unfortunately some folks are in denial about it, but it does exist and it isn't "classist" either... It's racist, just as the article states.  Any group of people can be racist... Just food for thought.

No, you don't, you're still continuing with your race-baiting agenda in a scenario where race is practically irrelevant here. You don't see the bigger picture, you just see color. Try to understand what racism means before you starting using that angle. 

This agenda against respecting officers of the law has two proponents behind it, and this is why you are seeing news media that portrays the cops as the bad guys, and the criminals as victims:

-Private prisons, who want to encourage lawlessness as it generates profits for them.

-The uber wealthy, especially private security, since it discredits cops as enforcers of the law and increases the value of private security which isn't a luxury anyone but them can enjoy.

Look at the language. The cop is the primary subject of the article, not the criminal. Yet the criminal causes his actions by farebeating. However, the cop busts him on the head. He didn't have it coming. Meanwhile, he's not a farebeater according to the news...he's an "alleged" farebeater, while witnesses have said he definitely beat the fare.

That's actually to protect news organizations from defamation suits; if he gets cleared, a news organization that put out information saying that he was definitely fare-beating could hypothetically get slapped with a lawsuit. The First Amendment does not protect those who publish things that assassinate character and aren't true, which is why gossip tabloids get sued on a fairly consistent basis.

No, you don't, you're still continuing with your race-baiting agenda in a scenario where race is practically irrelevant here. You don't see the bigger picture, you just see color. Try to understand what racism means before you starting using that angle. 

It's only "irrelevant" because both of the people involved are black so therefore that means it means racism can't be involved because black people don't have any issues with other black people.... It's all one big happy family... Please.... I've been around far longer than you have and know what I'm talking about.  If this cop were white thought it would be racist right? <_<

It's only "irrelevant" because both of the people involved are black so therefore that means it means racism can't be involved because black people don't have any issues with other black people.... It's all one big happy family... Please.... I've been around far longer than you have and know what I'm talking about.  If this cop were white thought it would be racist right? <_<

Get over yourself, man; If I wanted to know what your MO was or your life story, I would've asked. All you've done is provide meaningless anecdotes and straw-manned the entire time. Your ignorance on matters like this is astounding (and even if you were older than me, it makes this conversation that much more disappointing); it's like you've never stepped out of your house and experienced life from areas less privileged than your own (or the rest of the world, for that matter). 

Empathy, perspective, classism, racism, misanthropy, conflict; take some time to understand what these things are and then get back to me. I'm surprised that you didn't call sexism because all the women did in that scenario was film and protest. 

Get over yourself, man; If I wanted to know what your MO was or your life story, I would've asked. All you've done is provide meaningless anecdotes and straw-manned the entire time. Your ignorance on matters like this is astounding (and even if you were older than me, it makes this conversation that much more disappointing); it's like you've never stepped out of your house and experienced life from areas less privileged than your own (or the rest of the world, for that matter). 

Empathy, perspective, classism, racism, misanthropy, conflict; take some time to understand what these things are and then get back to me. I'm surprised that you didn't call sexism because all the women did in that scenario was film and protest. 

lol... So you're calling this "classism" because both people involved are of the same race? I just want to make sure your point of view is clear.  My question is if that's the case then why would it be racism if a white cop was involved?

(I) Always said black cops/judges/CO's are worse than the white ones.... Typical of blacks (either gender) tryna "fit in" with white society....

This incident doesn't surprise me in the least....

Now boarding, coon train on track 1 & coon train on track 2 - once you've received your passengers, you may proceed..... engineer with the signal....

In all seriousness, it does not help that black males in general do not trust each other on the collective level.....

------------

side note: What was ole girl trying to accomplish? The police showed restraint in not doing anything to her.

side note 2: Of course this clip was truncated to garner a certain reaction from the public (police brutality), but really, these kids better learn one way or another that actions have consequences.... Not that this necessarily garners a shuddering thud to the cranium, but still.....

The way I see it, the amount of police on civilian brutality is going to increase - regardless of how much De Blasio wants to/is trying to better relations between police & civilians..... I compare it to the party/club scene; only a matter of time before some damn altercation happens.... And these days, I find it to be much more physical than just verbal.....

(I) Always said black cops/judges/CO's are worse than the white ones.... Typical of blacks (either gender) tryna "fit in" with white society....

This incident doesn't surprise me in the least....

Now boarding, coon train on track 1 & coon train on track 2 - once you've received your passengers, you may proceed..... engineer with the signal....

In all seriousness, it does not help that black males in general do not trust each other on the collective level.....

------------

side note: What was ole girl trying to accomplish? The police showed restraint in not doing anything to her.

side note 2: Of course this clip was truncated to garner a certain reaction from the public (police brutality), but really, these kids better learn one way or another that actions have consequences.... Not that this necessarily garners a shuddering thud to the cranium, but still.....

The way I see it, the amount of police on civilian brutality is going to increase - regardless of how much De Blasio wants to/is trying to better relations between police & civilians..... I compare it to the party/club scene; only a matter of time before some damn altercation happens.... And these days, I find it to be much more physical than just verbal.....

This is because it is in the interest of private prisons, proponents of private security forces, real estate developers who want to rapidly expand the ghetto to raise prices outside of it, and so called budget hawks who want to condemn and lowball the NYPD the next time they have contracts. There is an agenda here to undermine the credibility, authority, and respect for cops.

That's actually to protect news organizations from defamation suits; if he gets cleared, a news organization that put out information saying that he was definitely fare-beating could hypothetically get slapped with a lawsuit. The First Amendment does not protect those who publish things that assassinate character and aren't true, which is why gossip tabloids get sued on a fairly consistent basis.

So then how come the cop "struck" him? If the farebeater that was observed by law enforcement AND bystanders beating the fare has "allgedly" done so, then certainly the cop who billy clubbed him certainly was "alleged" to have done so by those same standards?

Ah, right, he's a civil servant. The media is free to trash him and his actions all they want while standing up for those of the "victim".

How about referring to him as an ex-con, instead of an "alleged farebeater" since part of the article was including his criminal record which includes multiple other arrests including time served for the wonderful non-victimless crime of felony assault and robbery? Or the fact he's on parole? All of which are relevant.

This is why our society is backwards nowadays. Rights exist to protect those who abide by laws AND those who break them, not only the second group. If he's not guilty of farebeating (and he is), he will get his day in court. THERE IS NO REASON TO RESIST ARREST. But that's life in the hood...when you are taught to respect no one from birth, and somehow despite the community knowing this isn't good for it, these kids are allowed to run wild because people are scared to stop them. And when the white cops do? It's racist. And when the black cops do? It's "the NYPD is out of control." No. It's these damn kids and these damn single <25 years old women who pop babies and still wanna be gangbangers who can't raise them, who neglect them, fail to discipline and help educate them, and allow them to be raised on pop culture that are causing most of this and destroying entire neighborhoods that took decades to clean up. And they are empowered by a criminal justice system that believes in going through the motions, and fails to reform, and a general public so concerned with the rights of criminals that it engages in victim blaming, and crime rationalization as a result.

You want an attention grabbing, fair headline, that won't result in a lawsuit?

"CLUB NIGHT: Ex-con clubbed violating probation over $2.50 subway fare, caught on video allegedly resisting arrest"

lol... So you're calling this "classism" because both people involved are of the same race? I just want to make sure your point of view is clear.  My question is if that's the case then why would it be racism if a white cop was involved?

On one end, you have a guy who earns in the range of $40,000+, wears a badge, wields a gun and nightstick, enjoys perks like sick days, paid vacations, and pension, whose job is to uphold and enforce the law; on the other is a young adult apathetic enough to fare-beat – in 2014. Between the two of them, who's in a position of power? Who has more of a socioeconomic advantage? Who's more likely to go on a power trip here? 

As for your other question, regardless of color, classism is classism. The only way racism could be applied would be if there were irrefutable circumstances backing up said claim.

Archived