If express service was never eliminated in the Bronx.....

Javier

Okay, as a Yonkers commuter, I always take the Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn and 242 Street. The thing is, there is NO express service. The (1) always runs local, why was there never a express service for the (1)? Bronx residents would love to catch a (1) express train to Manhattan.

And the (4)? Why is there no (8) express train for it? The middle track isnt being used for anything unless theres a G.O.

There was the (9) that used to run Skip-stop service with the (1) until May 2005 and it's been brought up several times why the former was eliminated. @Bre: That was a pilot program or something like that, but it didn't work due to many important stops being skipped.

You guys need to understand that express service just won't work in certain areas.

There was a (9)? Why was it eliminated?

it was a useless skip stop service that operated from 6:30 AM on Monday, August 21, 1989 to May 27, 2005. Midday skip-stop service was discontinued in 1994, but remained during peak hours. Skip-stop service operate north of 137th Street.

By this time, skip-stop service assigned the following stations to the 1 train only:

and the following stations to the 9 train only:

• Marble Hill – 225th Street
  • 207th Street
  • 145th Street

Okay, as a Yonkers commuter, I always take the Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn and 242 Street. The thing is, there is NO express service. The (1) always runs local, why was there never a express service for the (1)? Bronx residents would love to catch a (1) express train to Manhattan.

And the (4)? Why is there no (8) express train for it? The middle track isnt being used for anything unless theres a G.O.

That service would run empty as the only station with a middle platform is 242 St and therefore would be useless.

the 8 designation would be saved for the Pelham Express

•  

Additional numbers have been added to R-62A signs in case of additional routings or redesignations of certain lines. 

10.png5dia.png through express

11.png =7dia.png express

12.png #2 to New Lots

13.png #3 to Flatbush

There have also been reports of a #14 and #15. One of these might be a #4 to Flatbush.

Also, they tested the Jerome Ave Express during 2009 it the test didn't work.

There was the (9) that used to run Skip-stop service with the (1) until May 2005 and it's been brought up several times why the former was eliminated. @Bre: That was a pilot program or something like that, but it didn't work due to many important stops being skipped.

You guys need to understand that express service just won't work in certain areas.

Precisely

if i am not mistaken didn't the (4) have limited express service to manhattan in the AM?

There are several (4) trains in the PM rush hour that short turn at Burnside Ave. These trains operate via the express track between 167th Street and Burnside Ave.

Because the (1) / (9) skip-stop was almost entirely local - both of which only skipped 3 stops (6 stops total) respectively. It saved no time at all, and the local stations have pretty heavy ridership on the upper Bway-7 Av line compared to the ones on the lower Bway-7 Av line.

Mind you, the (9), like the (Z), have never been considered a seperate line from their identical variants by the (MTA), nor will they ever anyway.

Middle tracks don't exist solely for express service. How many times does that have to be said? I swear, it's like someone sees an unused track and decides it must be used, regardless of any negative impact or complete uselessness.

In regards to the lack of express service on the Upper Broadway line, that's because there simply isn't any demand for it. Besides, even if there was, the track layout (the mergers to two tracks) put a limit to any potential express service since the express trains would have to merge with the locals.

if i am not mistaken didn't the (4) have limited express service to manhattan in the AM?

Yeah. There were two pilot programs back in 2009 where four 4 trains ran express in the Bronx, making stops at Mosholu Pkwy, Bedford Park*, Burnside Av and 149 St. They both failed because, while the trains were less crowded upon entering Manhattan, that's mainly because the trains skipped the busier stops like Fordham Rd and 161 St. 

*added in second pilot program

Low ridership and a changing ridership patterns. Unlike the J/Z skip-stop, where most riders are taking the trains directly to Manhattan (or at least an all-trains stop where riders can transfer to other lines), riders were taking 1 trains to 9 stops and vice versa. More so in the 9's later years. To minimize these kinds of transfers, the 9 was eliminated in favor or more frequent local service. Besides, the 9's service hours were reduced significantly over the years. From being a line that ran during the normal weekday hours when it began in 1989, it was reduced to a rush hours only line at the end of its life.

@Union Tpke: While those were the plans for the double numbered routes, there's nothing preventing them from being used for other routes, especially in the age of digital signage.

I would like to nominate Lance for post of the year. You hit the nail on the head; people see under used tracks and demand they be put into service.

What the OP is doing can be seen as selfish. He's demanding that some passengers get less service so he can have a quicker ride. "As a Yonkers commuter" suddenly entitles you to express NYC Subway service?

I got the (1) part, the (9) was totally useless, but the (4) is the main problem.

Someone explain to me what are pilot programs?

@Karmen

Im not trying to get in anyones way its just that I work in Manhattan and It would be nice to have a Express (4) to Manhattan. Its not like Im demanding for a random train to skip popular stops. I aint trying to be selfish.  <_<

I got the (1) part, the (9) was totally useless, but the (4) is the main problem.

@Karmen

Im not trying to get in anyones way its just that I work in Manhattan and It would be nice to have a Express (4) to Manhattan. Its not like Im demanding for a random train to skip popular stops. I aint trying to be selfish.  <_<

Well the (4) is pretty quick into Manhattan. It's just a 15-20 minute ride into Manhattan from Woodlawn. Same goes for the (1). Even though it may seem like a lot of stops north of 96th Street it's really fast. If you really want to get to Manhattan quicker take an express bus.

@Karmen

A pilot program is basically a test run, usually about six months long, to test how service changes will actually perform over a period of time. The (4) express was tried out and failed.

@Karmen

You live in Westchester...  Use Metro-North! People who live outside of NYC aren't entitled to improved city services. Surely you must have access to either the Harlem line or the Hudson line.

I use Metro North all the Time, but then theres express service THERE that gets on my nerves. I sit at Yonkers station waiting for my train as 5 express trains pass me every 15 Minutes. And another thing is the fare, which is $8.50 to Grand Sqaure. I always get off at Marble Hill since Metro North connects there.

Which is more faster?

Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn/242 Street then use Subway to Grand Central?

MetroNorth to Grand Central?

BXM3?

@Karmen

Actually, you kind of are.

On the (1) and (4) in the Bronx, the busiest stops are local stops, and that's why express service doesn't really work out. 

Let's look at the ridership statistics

Average weekday ridership for 4 line stops in the Bronx in 2013, in order:

161 St - 26,972* (local stop; some of the people getting on the stop are getting on the (B)(D), but the (4) ridership is still very high)

149 St - 14,380* (express stop, but, keep in mind the (2) and (5) also stop here, so (4) ridership is a lot lower than 14,000. If we're just talking about the (4), it should be lower down on the list) 

Fordham Rd - 12, 558 - local stop

Burnside Av - 11,560 - express stop

Kingsbridge Rd - 10,431- local stop

167 St - 9,904 - local stop

Mosholu Pkwy - 9,588 - local stop, but could be an express stop

170 St - 9,525 - local stop

Woodlawn - 7,776 - express stop

Notice how the busiest stops are generally all local stops?  A full-blown express would deprive those local stops of service. It's really unfortunate that the express track doesn't serve the busiest stops but the line was built almost 100 years ago, and demographics change over time.

The (1) is the same deal. I won't list the figures for brevity, but the busiest stops are generally local stops. 

I use Metro North all the Time, but then theres express service THERE that gets on my nerves. I sit at Yonkers station waiting for my train as 5 express trains pass me every 15 Minutes. And another thing is the fare, which is $8.50 to Grand Sqaure. I always get off at Marble Hill since Metro North connects there.

Which is more faster?

Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn/242 Street then use Subway to Grand Central?

MetroNorth to Grand Central?

BXM3?

So, because you get inconvenienced by express trains on Metro-North, you want to save money and shaft people who live in the city and use the (4) by having express trains skip their local stops, despite the fact that you should have no say in the matter since, you know, you don't actually live there.

Sometimes the cognitive dissonance on this forum is mind boggling.

Actually, you kind of are.

On the (1) and (4) in the Bronx, the busiest stops are local stops, and that's why express service doesn't really work out. 

Let's look at the ridership statistics

Average weekday ridership for 4 line stops in the Bronx in 2013, in order:

161 St - 26,972* (local stop; some of the people getting on the stop are getting on the (B)(D), but the (4) ridership is still very high)

149 St - 14,380* (express stop, but, keep in mind the (2) and (5) also stop here, so (4) ridership is a lot lower than 14,000. If we're just talking about the (4), it should be lower down on the list) 

Fordham Rd - 12, 558 - local stop

Burnside Av - 11,560 - express stop

Kingsbridge Rd - 10,431- local stop

167 St - 9,904 - local stop

Mosholu Pkwy - 9,588 - local stop, but could be an express stop

170 St - 9,525 - local stop

Woodlawn - 7,776 - express stop

Notice how the busiest stops are generally all local stops?  A full-blown express would deprive those local stops of service. It's really unfortunate that the express track doesn't serve the busiest stops but the line was built almost 100 years ago, and demographics change over time.

The (1) is the same deal. I won't list the figures for brevity, but the busiest stops are generally local stops.

What happened to Mount Eden Avenue and Bedford Park Blvd?

So, because you get inconvenienced by express trains on Metro-North, you want to save money and shaft people who live in the city and use the (4) by having express trains skip their local stops, despite the fact that you should have no say in the matter since, you know, you don't actually live there.

Sometimes the cognitive dissonance on this forum is mind boggling.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that if the (1) line had some work or construction going on, could the BXM3 or the (4) be able to take all these people to where they need to go? I usually just take the BX9 from Kingsbridge Road to Marble Hill.

What happened to Mount Eden Avenue and Bedford Park Blvd?

I didn't include Mount Eden Av, Bedford Park Bl, 176 St and 183 St because those stations have the lowest ridership on the line (5,000-6,000 people per weekday).

My point is, as long as the busiest stations on the line are mostly local stations, express service won't be beneficial to the line as a whole. 

Archived