Which subway cars you wish that never got retired?

Q113 LTD

Which subway cars that are going to be retire soon or already retired that you wish they had an upgrade just like the R62s and have a longer lifespan? I am hoping the (MTA) will upgrade the R32, R38, R46 & R68 with new feature such as  LED sign,  new brakes, better A/C and Automated Announcements.

What upgrades did the R62s receive, exactly?

This is a pointless question. You can like whichever vehicles you want, but the fact of the matter is, all people and things have their time, subway cars not being an exception. The best you can do is take advantage of them while they are still here, which is really a philosophy that can apply to just about anything and anyone. R32s have already pushed their luck and there's no way in hell they'll be receiving a prolonged lifespan, I can tell you that for a fact. R38s are gone so they can't receive your new features.

For some weird reason, my favorite is the R46 even though I barely ride them frequently. Something about that commuter  train look that is grabbing my attention, though I barely ride commuter rails too. Oddly enough, I'll miss them when they get retired.

I really miss those R40 Slants, riding them along with the 32s and the (then 6-10 year old) R68/As on the (N) with its old routing via 4th Avenue Local, Montague Tunnel, and Broadway Local were my childhood. When I was a kid, the R40 Slant was the only car model whose RFW I could reach without asking my parents to give me a lift. If only Jamaica had some for the (R) as well.

I'm very glad the MTA put them in the museum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they might be intercompatible with the R40Ms, 42s, 38s, and 32s. Hopefully they can make another fan trip train with them someday.

Wasn't the original plan for the R46 was to have them retire by the end of 2015? lol.

I think it was, it was originally supposed to be the 179s that knocked them off, but the 44s were falling apart and I think the MTA had another budget shortfall, so they had to put it off for the 211s.

Archived