MTA NYC Transit Car Inspector Exam 5610

nicknoel

• 1 month later...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

practical test was 3 parts all had a time limit.

1) wiring circuit building ........ mounted on a board were a few switches, lights.relays, and diodes.

I had to wire them according to the wiring diagram, within the time I think we we're allowed just one rewire if time permitted or it was a failure to complete.

2) disassemble a pneumatic valve adjust a spring using wrenches and a 6 inch scale (ruler) and correctly reassemble

3) Troubleshoot a door operators switch assemble.... ( I got screwed doing this part, I wasn't provided a meter)

there were 4 or 5 switches DPDT all wired and tightly tie wrapped together unnumbered wires that went to  terminal strip with a few test lights wired in. Not allowed to cut the tie wraps, without a meter I was only able to find one problem. We had to write down explaining what was wrong.

I was of course nervous; setup was a workbench with small dividers I didn’t want to get accused of cheating so I didn’t look around. I found out from a co-worker almost three years after the test that his tool kit had a multimeter. I do wonder what my test results (seniority number) might be if I had a meter.

• 2 weeks later...

practical test was 3 parts all had a time limit.

1) wiring circuit building ........ mounted on a board were a few switches, lights.relays, and diodes.

I had to wire them according to the wiring diagram, within the time I think we we're allowed just one rewire if time permitted or it was a failure to complete.

2) disassemble a pneumatic valve adjust a spring using wrenches and a 6 inch scale (ruler) and correctly reassemble

3) Troubleshoot a door operators switch assemble.... ( I got screwed doing this part, I wasn't provided a meter)

there were 4 or 5 switches DPDT all wired and tightly tie wrapped together unnumbered wires that went to  terminal strip with a few test lights wired in. Not allowed to cut the tie wraps, without a meter I was only able to find one problem. We had to write down explaining what was wrong.

I was of course nervous; setup was a workbench with small dividers I didn’t want to get accused of cheating so I didn’t look around. I found out from a co-worker almost three years after the test that his tool kit had a multimeter. I do wonder what my test results (seniority number) might be if I had a meter.

The wiring circuit was on a piece of plywood components were already mounted.

With a roll of wire, I wired it according to the circuit drawing, crimping a ring terminal for each connection and mount it with a flat washer, lock washer, and nut, and then tie wraps it all neat.

(the supplies provided included nuts & washers that wouldn’t fit and multiple sizes of ring terminals.

The instructions said use the correct size for the wire, so just use the right color; I think I used red (22-18 AWG) if I picked a nut or washer that was the wrong size I put it aside, and put them back into the hardware case or the next guy.

I was not required to wear gloves, but that was almost five years ago.

Thanks for the info

Happen to know if there's a certain dress code for taking the test?

Also, would it be too cheeky if I brought my own safety glasses?

I know someone that took the test a few years ago and he said he had trouble with the diving goggles they provided because they fogged up instantly and he was afraid to take them off for fear of them failing him.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t remember safety glasses at all, I wear prescription glasses and if they asked I would have said they were safety glasses. 

There is no dress code, the papers I received said I needed work boots (steel tipped I think).

I didn’t own a pair at the time so bought a decent pair of boots, I don’t think I have worn them since.

I remember seeing other people not in boots and it didn’t seem to matter, as far as I could tell.

No white sneakers and shorts just dress casual, jeans without holes a collared shirt.

When I took my practical test they did take a picture of me, IDK why it wasn’t used for my pass.

• 2 weeks later...

the wiring was simple for me ( I did large scale machine tool wiring for years )

it was a single board with a few swiches and relays running through diodes to turn on lights (powered by a 6 volt lantern battery)

all the components were mounted, just wire according to directions  

if your electrical diagram skills are decent just review diode pollarity 

The wiring circuit was on a piece of plywood components were already mounted.

With a roll of wire, I wired it according to the circuit drawing, crimping a ring terminal for each connection and mount it with a flat washer, lock washer, and nut, and then tie wraps it all neat.

When you say the "components were already mounted", were they permanently fixed or removable in order for you to wire them up as needed?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this cause when I picture a circuit board, I see all of the components on top of a breadboard with their connection leads protruding out of the bottom.

If this is the case, how are each of the connections made?

Like if I had to wire up a resistor and a diode in series with a basic switch and an LED, would I just twist the connections together on the underside of the board or do I space them out and use butt splice crimps for each of the connections?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, for those taking this test (5610), have you received any confirmation after you sent in the application form?

Just checked the status on my money order (usps) and it appears there's no info on it being cashed yet  :huh:

I know the form says they will send out a letter 10 days before the test date (which is subject to change), but I'll be traveling up from Florida and want to make sure everything is hunky dory before making the trip.

Is there any way to check in with the MTA to make sure they received my app?

• 1 month later...

sometimes is not easy i had to take this exam twice, first time dcas didn't qualify me, some people that i know took it 3 or 4 times

Are you on the job as a provisional working already? What happened the first time you failed, and how long before u got your second chance?

Are you on the job as a provisional working already? What happened the first time you failed, and how long before u got your second chance?

I don't know if i failed. If you are not qualify they don't tell you your score so i could pass it.Permanent now. Nothing happened i kept working and next year was exam again. The good thing is even if you are provisional and they fire you usually they try to give you some other job to keep you in the system or will call you in future.

I don't know if i failed. If you are not qualify they don't tell you your score so i could pass it.Permanent now. Nothing happened i kept working and next year was exam again. The good thing is even if you are provisional and they fire you usually they try to give you some other job to keep you in the system or will call you in future.

make commercial driver license  it helps a lot

I took the exam this morning and kind of underestimated it. Valve assembly and circuit diagnosis was simple, but didn't get to wire the circuit on time for the third part. So I'm pretty sure I failed. I'll get it next time

Archived