Riverdale politicians renew calls on MTA improved local bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

Officials want more buses

Elected officials in the northwest Bronx are calling on the MTA to improve Bx7 and Bx10 bus service in the neighborhood.

State Senator Jeff Klein, Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz and Councilman Andrew Cohen renewed calls for more buses, among other measures, after the MTA took several steps to alleviate overcrowding and long waits that are particularly noticeable at the stops by Broadway and West 231st Street.

After Mr. Dinowitz and Mr. Klein held a press conference there in August, the MTA added three buses to the Bx7 line to augment service between West 231st and West 263rd streets, according to a spokesman for the authority. Kevin Ortiz said in an e-mail the MTA also has increased dispatching efforts, adding that the problem is “traffic at several chokepoints along the route such as 168th Street (Columbia Presbyterian Hospital), 179th Street (George Washington Bridge and Bus Terminal) and 225th Street (shopping mall).”

“We will be reaching out to [the Department of Transportation] to see if anything can be done to ameliorate traffic at those chokepoints,” Mr. Ortiz said on Tuesday.

Still, Mr. Dinowitz and his colleagues are calling for permanent additions to the Bx7 and Bx10, extension of the Bx3 route to West 238th Street and extension of Manhattan’s M100 line into the Bronx.

In a phone interview, Mr. Dinowitz called the MTA’s recent additions to the Bx7 line “good, but only sort of a stop-gap, temporary help.”

“We simply need increased service,” he continued. “We want to encourage people to take mass transit. We need to provide good service.”

With the MTA facing perennial budget problems, adding more buses to one part of the city would be a difficult process. But Mr. Cohen, Mr. Dinowitz and Mr. Klein, who recently released a statement on the matter with Community Board 8’s Traffic Committee Chairman Michael Heller, seem determined to maintain pressure on the MTA.

http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Former-Council-members-fight-over-Indian-Pond,55954?page=3&

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very complicated situation, they get caught pretty badly along Broadway. What they should do is do something similar to what S.I does. Have buses go to the end of the line at Riverdale then DH back to 231st since that's where the bulk of that end comes from. They do that with several Bx7s but that's clearly not enough at this rate. And you can't really add even more buses because of the traffic problems. More buses will get caught in traffic causing even more problems.

It's a very complicated situation, they get caught pretty badly along Broadway. What they should do is do something similar to what S.I does. Have buses go to the end of the line at Riverdale then DH back to 231st since that's where the bulk of that end comes from. They do that with several Bx7s but that's clearly not enough at this rate. And you can't really add even more buses because of the traffic problems. More buses will get caught in traffic causing even more problems.

That's precisely what they're asking for though.  The (MTA) has been resistant to the idea, but they also know that there's a problem hence why they added those artics.  I see several Bx10's in the morning signed up to 231st street and Broadway, but those buses don't turn around at 231st, and the people coming from the Bronx that are commuting TO Riverdale face overcrowded buses.  I also see the same thing with the Bx7, so what they've done is they've addressed the folks living in Riverdale or that work in Riverdale at night and then commute from Riverdale back to wherever, but they're not doing that full circle.

There's also an ongoing push to extend the service hours of the BxM18 in the morning.  Running the last BxM18 at 07:45 is simply too early, and a few more morning BxM18 trips would help those in Midtown and in Downtown.  The BxM1 and BxM2 have been too erratic. The BxM2 can often times be a no-show during the rush, which is simply unacceptable.

Still, Mr. Dinowitz and his colleagues are calling for permanent additions to the Bx7 and Bx10, extension of the Bx3 route to West 238th Street and extension of Manhattan’s M100 line into the Bronx.

...and where?

Here is a solution take bx7 out of Manhattan traffic

problem solved

use (1) for Manhattan.

This is why run on sentences are misleading.... I broke it up for you.

As for your solution, you're ignoring the Washington Hgts. folks at the expense of trying to shut Riverdalians up :lol: 

In other words, Riverdalians get to keep the Bx7 to the (1), but whoever's boarding in Washington Hgts & Inwood should all have to embark on (1)'s, or take M100's & walk over the bridge to get to Marble Hill & the Bronx......

...and where?

This is why run on sentences are misleading.... I broke it up for you.

As for your solution, you're ignoring the Washington Hgts. folks at the expense of trying to shut Riverdalians up :lol: 

In other words, Riverdalians get to keep the Bx7 to the (1), but whoever's boarding in Washington Hgts & Inwood should all have to embark on (1)'s, or take M100's & walk over the bridge to get to Marble Hill & the Bronx......

what's so bad about that Washington heights drags down the bx7 serving em is a hassle.

what's so bad about that Washington heights drags down the bx7 serving em is a hassle.

I know... providing a whole entire region of a borough with bus service for which the demand clearly exists, is a hassle.....

The M100 doesn't do enough for those folks (hence the usage the Bx7 gets north of Inwood), and if it's anything that's a hassle, it's having to ascend to & descend from the subway, when those same people's needs are met easier by simply boarding a bus & disembarking a bus at street level....

What you're really implicating with that ridiculous remark is that Washington Hgts. doesn't need bus service to the Bronx, due to the existence of the subway..... That (lack of) logic is same type of short-sightedness that have people pissed off with the MTA as it is....

Way to try to f*ck over riders there....

I know... providing a whole entire region of a borough with bus service for which the demand clearly exists, is a hassle.....

The M100 doesn't do enough for those folks (hence the usage the Bx7 gets north of Inwood), and if it's anything that's a hassle, it's having to ascend to & descend from the subway, when those same people's needs are met easier by simply boarding a bus & disembarking a bus at street level....

What you're really implicating with that ridiculous remark is that Washington Hgts. doesn't need bus service to the Bronx, due to the existence of the subway..... That (lack of) logic is same type of short-sightedness that have people pissed off with the MTA as it is....

Way to try to f*ck over riders there....

To his credit I do notice a lot of Dominicans do that... They ride the (1) for one or two stops instead of using the Bx7... Di di di dímelo loko... lol!

Maybe it got cut to 246 Street a while before Bronx service ended, but there was M100 service to 263 Street as far as I know.

No, it ran to 263rd. When the route was split up, that's when it was cut back to 246th to eliminate duplicate service but primarily to boost reliability which still stinks on the Bx20.

Thanks for the history lesson. That's a formula for unreliability. From East Harlem to Riverdale. What can you do with the Bx20? There's no desire to restore weekend service I think...

Thanks for the history lesson. That's a formula for unreliability. From East Harlem to Riverdale. What can you do with the Bx20? There's no desire to restore weekend service I think...

I mean, it was reduced to a rush hour only route. Unless the (MTA) gets a load of money soon, The Bx20 is pretty much useless at this point, likely to become another Bx55.

I mean, it was reduced to a rush hour only route. Unless the (MTA) gets a load of money soon, The Bx20 is pretty much useless at this point, likely to become another Bx55.

That means those Spuyten Dyvil residents will just have the Bx10. Don't they prefer the (A) over the (1)?

That means those Spuyten Dyvil residents will just have the Bx10. Don't they prefer the (A) over the (1)?

I'm pretty sure that Spuyden Dyvil residents would be upset about the Bx20 loss. But I mean that is something dosen't happen soon, the Bx20 would become part of a new route. I see the following happen if the Bx20 goes:

1. The Bx7 would have select trips run the Bx20 route, called the Bx7A. Select Bx7A trips are likely to short turn at 207 Street and/or 246 Street. Likely still runs rush hours only.

2. The M100 extends back into the Bronx. It extends to 246 Street to replace the Bx20 (maybe outside of rush hours). I feel this option is more likely to happen than the Bx7A proposal.

No, it ran to 263rd. When the route was split up, that's when it was cut back to 246th to eliminate duplicate service but primarily to boost reliability which still stinks on the Bx20.

M100 ran to 263rd only during off-peak hours.  During rush hours, the Bx7 was there and the M100 ended at 246th.  Either way, it was a mess because the route was too long and lots of buses never made it that far north (especially coming from Amsterdam Depot).  

Market research showed two primary M100 markets: Riverdale to Inwood/Washington Heights, and Inwood/Washington Heights to Harlem. As part of the restructuring, each market got its own route:  the Bx20 was split from the M100, while the Bx7 was both extended to 168th and expanded to run all day every day. 

I'm pretty sure that Spuyden Dyvil residents would be upset about the Bx20 loss. But I mean that is something dosen't happen soon, the Bx20 would become part of a new route. I see the following happen if the Bx20 goes:

1. The Bx7 would have select trips run the Bx20 route, called the Bx7A. Select Bx7A trips are likely to short turn at 207 Street and/or 246 Street. Likely still runs rush hours only.

2. The M100 extends back into the Bronx. It extends to 246 Street to replace the Bx20 (maybe outside of rush hours). I feel this option is more likely to happen than the Bx7A proposal.

If anything, I'd bet on the Bx7A proposal, but in reverse.

Remember that, prior to March 1989, the Bx7 was rush hours only, so the "Riverdale Avenue bypass" (between 231st and 239th) had no non-peak service.  I could easily see a return to that with the Bx7 "main line" rerouted via Kappock Street and Bx7A trips using the "bypass" (maybe during daylight hours only).

Archived