Select Bus Service Will Make Woodhaven Worse

BrooklynBus

There is really nothing they could do to make Woodhaven Blvd better. SBS will make it worse plus they need to put bus only lane,

Part of Woodhaven Blvd divides in four rode sections and buses use outer Rhodes which r too narrow to put bus only lane.

Four rode sections

Those who live in Rockaways how could they expect to reach the city fast they live too FAR.

There is really nothing they could do to make Woodhaven Blvd better. SBS will make it worse plus they need to put bus only lane,

Part of Woodhaven Blvd divides in four rode sections and buses use outer Rhodes which r too narrow to put bus only lane.

Four rode sections

Those who live in Rockaways how could they expect to reach the city fast they live too FAR.

they are idiots

Four rode sections

I wouldn't say it would make Woodhaven worse....they have 4 concept designs to choose from. All of which are favorable to motorists.

I noticed fewer people violating bus lanes lately through out the city

Are you sure about that?

If you know anything about the Bus Only lanes is that they are enforced with cameras. This seems like a money grab for the city with all the violations that are going to happen.

The solution is for people to — gasp! — drive legally for once in their lives.  

(I remember hearing a while back about a town that canceled its red-light cameras because too many people were obeying the law and there weren't enough violators to cover the costs of cameras.)

(I remember hearing a while back about a town that canceled its red-light cameras because too many people were obeying the law and there weren't enough violators to cover the costs of cameras.)

I read the same thing. That should tell you what the real purpose of the cameras are. Revenue not safety. If it were safety. They would have been willing to send the bucks to reduce accidents.

In general, fines tend to fall off steeply after people start figuring out where the cameras are and where they're not supposed to drive.

It would be very nice if the NYPD had enough manpower to actually enforce traffic laws in this city, but due to the screwed up policing in this town I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Oh boy... Another one of these articles... You need some new material... Some old topics... <_<

I wasn't going to reply to your comment but I will since Cait Sith replied. Perhaps you didn't notice, but this was published in Queens Chronicle which is a different audience than Sheepsheadbites blog. But I also linked it here. Sorry if you are bored because you heard it all before.

Then the answer would be to move the cameras every six months or so, not to remove them if safety was their real objective, not revenue.

The issue is that if they don't stick around, people realize they can violate again, and then we're back to square one.

In any case, the current speed cameras do move from school zone to school zone, since they can't possibly cover every school where speeding occurs with 100 cameras.

The issue is that if they don't stick around, people realize they can violate again, and then we're back to square one.

In any case, the current speed cameras do move from school zone to school zone, since they can't possibly cover every school where speeding occurs with 100 cameras.

I will watch the only one I know about. Betcha it doesn't move.

I will watch the only one I know about. Betcha it doesn't move.

From an article about the program:

So far, the city has five cameras up and running but is allowed to operate up to 20. At yesterday’s announcement of the city’s first 25 mph “arterial slow zone” on Atlantic Avenue, Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg explained how the program is being rolled out:

Last year, when the state legislature granted the city the ability to deploy 20 speed cameras, understandably my predecessor was anxious to get going. The city procurement process takes about a year. But what she did was she tasked the folks at DOT. She said, look at our existing red light cameras and see which of them meet the requirements for the speed camera program… They looked at that list of red light cameras and found that there were five that met the requirements, and then we have one mobile camera.

DOT later turned off one of those five camera locations after complaints that it was not located on a street with a school entrance or exit within a quarter-mile, as required by the state. This left the city with four stationary cameras and one mobile unit. Through the end of February, public records show speed camera tickets were issued at 15 locations. Trottenberg said yesterday that the department’s single mobile camera was rotated to 10 of those locations.

So some of them move, and some of them don't, but there aren't that many speed cameras in the first place.

I'm not sure that it will...especially if planned out right. What I would want to ask though is: would it make sense to, since the M60 already has SBS at the airport, to extend the Woodhaven SBS to the airport, instead of having it serve Woodside? How many people take the LIRR to the Q70 to get to KLGA as a destination?

What does the M60 have to do with Woodhaven Blvd as per LGA as a destination? They are two separate areas. You ask about demand. When it comes to airports, people choose one over the other considering 2 variables. Flights available and ease of airport access. If you add an LGA airport route on Woodhaven, it will be used if it is time competitive to JFK. The M60 is irrelevant for them.

I'm not sure that it will...especially if planned out right. What I would want to ask though is: would it make sense to, since the M60 already has SBS at the airport, to extend the Woodhaven SBS to the airport, instead of having it serve Woodside? How many people take the LIRR to the Q70 to get to KLGA as a destination?

The main users of any such line would presumably be airport employees. We do actually have detailed reports of where they live, and by and large it is not anywhere near Woodhaven, which would be more likely to host JFK workers.

I also don't know why you would divert airport buses from Woodside, since Woodside is closer to where most airport travelers are going, and it's also an express stop (as well as Jackson Heights.)

Archived