TWU Local 100 Sucks!

yngmack923

Before I start my rant here is the lesson learned this week…Your Title in the Union does NOT automatically earn you Respect…Respect is Earned...and your Words & Actions Have Not Earned you that!!! Okay With that being Said let’s get this started…When EVERYONE you speak to on Both sides of the fence say the Same thing…”THE UNION DROPPED THE BALL…YOU GUYS GOT SCREWED!!!”, you tend to agree. And while we can’t blame the Union as a whole…There are a few people who need to be addressed. Long story short for those who don’t understand We were Provisional Rail Road Stock Workers…Now we have been brought back as Cleaners at HALF our Pay in most cases…and What does our Union tell us…”Be grateful…our you can leave…!” Grateful for What Exactly??? Cause at first you told us we didn’t have to worry…Then when we addressed it you paid it no attention until the Ax dropped and want to quote the “Long Beach Decision” To my understanding the Union has a legal department, Court cases are fought and overturned every day, So either we were not important enough for you to even try…or you just didn’t give a f**k…and that is how many of us feel at this point. So for our Union to speak to us like we’re idiots or like our DEMOTIONS are because of Disciplinary Actions is a slap in the face…So at half my pay I’m supposed to be Grateful or I can Leave…Really????? Or how it was said “You don’t Have to Join the Union…But this is a Union Shop and we will Still get your Money…” None of us were members in bad standing…So where was the fight for us??? None of us had Attendance issues…So Where was the fight for Us??? At this point we don’t know who to believe being that Both the Company & the Union is claiming Victory for finding us the Lowest Jobs on the totem pole. It didn’t affect your pockets so in turn you didn’t take our plight serious until it was too late!!! Not saying anything Bad about the Cleaner title at all, But we were making MORE on Unemployment then in our new Title!!! Again, Slap in the face!!!! It was said “be grateful you have that pass in your pocket again and can ride the Trains & Buses for free” Really??? Big f**king Deal…I’m not just speaking for me I’m speaking for everyone going through this right now cause we are all in agreement…its demeaning that everyone we speak to treats us like new hires fresh off the street…We know what it means to be on probation…We didn’t screw that up the 1st time what makes you thing we will this time?? And that’s the impression we are getting. Especially when you tell us “This is the End of the line for us…” WOW….Really? Thanks a lot We really have faith In you now..I’m not grateful at all you didn’t do as any favors I feel cheated for paying my union dues and to be treated with such disrespect from my own union…We are so looking forward to the next election and we will continue to spread the injustice done to us By our Union so everyone knows!!! To Be continued….!

Before I start my rant here is the lesson learned this week…Your Title in the Union does NOT automatically earn you Respect…Respect is Earned...and your Words & Actions Have Not Earned you that!!! Okay With that being Said let’s get this started…When EVERYONE you speak to on Both sides of the fence say the Same thing…”THE UNION DROPPED THE BALL…YOU GUYS GOT SCREWED!!!”, you tend to agree. And while we can’t blame the Union as a whole…There are a few people who need to be addressed. Long story short for those who don’t understand We were Provisional Rail Road Stock Workers…Now we have been brought back as Cleaners at HALF our Pay in most cases…and What does our Union tell us…”Be grateful…our you can leave…!” Grateful for What Exactly??? Cause at first you told us we didn’t have to worry…Then when we addressed it you paid it no attention until the Ax dropped and want to quote the “Long Beach Decision” To my understanding the Union has a legal department, Court cases are fought and overturned every day, So either we were not important enough for you to even try…or you just didn’t give a f**k…and that is how many of us feel at this point. So for our Union to speak to us like we’re idiots or like our DEMOTIONS are because of Disciplinary Actions is a slap in the face…So at half my pay I’m supposed to be Grateful or I can Leave…Really????? Or how it was said “You don’t Have to Join the Union…But this is a Union Shop and we will Still get your Money…” None of us were members in bad standing…So where was the fight for us??? None of us had Attendance issues…So Where was the fight for Us??? At this point we don’t know who to believe being that Both the Company & the Union is claiming Victory for finding us the Lowest Jobs on the totem pole. It didn’t affect your pockets so in turn you didn’t take our plight serious until it was too late!!! Not saying anything Bad about the Cleaner title at all, But we were making MORE on Unemployment then in our new Title!!! Again, Slap in the face!!!! It was said “be grateful you have that pass in your pocket again and can ride the Trains & Buses for free” Really??? Big f**king Deal…I’m not just speaking for me I’m speaking for everyone going through this right now cause we are all in agreement…its demeaning that everyone we speak to treats us like new hires fresh off the street…We know what it means to be on probation…We didn’t screw that up the 1st time what makes you thing we will this time?? And that’s the impression we are getting. Especially when you tell us “This is the End of the line for us…” WOW….Really? Thanks a lot We really have faith In you now..I’m not grateful at all you didn’t do as any favors I feel cheated for paying my union dues and to be treated with such disrespect from my own union…We are so looking forward to the next election and we will continue to spread the injustice done to us By our Union so everyone knows!!! To Be continued….!

What "company" are you referring to? The (MTA) is an agency, not a company. 

I'm sure if this happened to any one of you, then you would also feel like ranting and wanting to be heard and possibly supported. Just imagine if suddenly you were demoted from your job for no apparent reason and told to be grateful you still had a job.

However, I must say the term "provisional" does in fact mean for a while or subject to change or in MTA world "until we need you".

On another note a cleaner position at top pay in Transit can net you almost as much as a train conductor. A T/O makes about 4-5 $'s more an hour than a Conductor, it's substantial but disproportionate (in my book) considering a T/O needs to attain more knowledge and skill than a Conductor, but that's a whole other subject.

Some say the Union isn't there entirely and primarily for the betterment of a single or a small group of workers if you know what I mean.

I say clean for a while until the new  tests come along, don't pass up Cleaner. Gosh it's hard though when you have something at hand and then it vanishes.  Wish I could say something better but hang in there.

To the O/P, I'm sorry for your situation man. I had a similar issue in my workplace, where people were given massive pay cuts after the recession and told "be happy you still have a job." It really kills morale. Hang in there and something will come along. That's the nice part of the MTA--there are so many divisions and titles, and once you are in one title, it can be easy to jump to something better if you keep your eyes and ears open.

However, I must say the term "provisional" does in fact mean for a while or subject to change or in MTA world "until we need you".

This is true but I would change it to ; in MTA world "until we don't need you"

The main problem is that you(the op)were hired provisionally. It sucks that you seemed to be misled or outright lied to about your future status but being hired provisionally carries the risk of being let go with little or no protection. Back in 1989 the Track Dept let go(fired/layed off whatever you want to call it) 200 or so provisional Track Workers. These men, when they were first hired(provisional), were told that they would eventually be made permanent. That was a lie. Some of them were there 3 years, some less. They were all called down to Jay St one night and given their pink slips. These guys had mortgages,car payments, bills etc... I've heard some of them were crying while waiting in line single file to get terminated. They weren't offered cleaning jobs or any other job. They were all tossed out like garbage. Maybe that's why they're telling you be grateful that you were offered a job within the agency(be it a lesser title with a hefty pay cut). Again, I think it sucks what happened to you but at least they offered you something. They didn't have to. You can take promotional tests while working in the cleaner title if you want to make a move to another Dept.

BTW - That was the last provisional test NYCTA ever gave for Track Worker.

I'm sure if this happened to any one of you, then you would also feel like ranting and wanting to be heard and possibly supported. Just imagine if suddenly you were demoted from your job for no apparent reason and told to be grateful you still had a job.

On another note a cleaner position at top pay in Transit can net you almost as much as a train conductor. A T/O makes about 4-5 $'s more an hour than a Conductor, it's substantial but disproportionate (in my book) considering a T/O needs to attain more knowledge and skill than a Conductor, but that's a whole other subject.

Some say the Union isn't there entirely and primarily for the betterment of a single or a small group of workers if you know what I mean.

I say clean for a while until the new  tests come along, don't pass up Cleaner. Gosh it's hard though when you have something at hand and then it vanishes.  Wish I could say something better but hang in there.

Aside from that the (MTA) cleaners are some of best paid cleaners that I know... Most folks that clean these days are union anyway and usually earn $20.00 a hour or more.  Labor intensive perhaps, but they're not breaking their backs either. They do the same crappola I do in my apartment... Sweeping, mopping, throwing out garbage, etc.  Not exactly complicated, and there's probably overtime available to bump up the gross overall.

Being hired provisionally means just that. You can be let go at any given moment. So the union is right, be glad you have a job. All provisionally hired workers in the city lost thier jobs in 2010. And cleaners top pay isn't half of what you were making. It's about 26-27 bucks per hour at the end of this contract. Sorry this happened to you, but I'd never advise you take another provisional job in the future. Be graateful you have a pension you can keep growing, be grateful you have medical insurance, something you didn't have on unemployment, and you also have free tavel privalges via the system. I was a laid off S/A in 2010 and was bitter. It still bothers me to this day, but you have to get over it man. Take all promotions availble to you as a cleaner ASAP, and you'll be fine.

Being hired provisionally means just that. You can be let go at any given moment. So the union is right, be glad you have a job. All provisionally hired workers in the city lost thier jobs in 2010. And cleaners top pay isn't half of what you were making. It's about 26-27 bucks per hour at the end of this contract. Sorry this happened to you, but I'd never advise you take another provisional job in the future. Be graateful you have a pension you can keep growing, be grateful you have medical insurance, something you didn't have on unemployment, and you also have free tavel privalges via the system. I was a laid off S/A in 2010 and was bitter. It still bothers me to this day, but you have to get over it man. Take all promotions availble to you as a cleaner ASAP, and you'll be fine.

I though Rail Road Stock was making around 29-$30 an hour at top pay. Cleaner isn't too far behind from stock worker. Of course I could be wrong. Check here;   http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/wage_rates_final.pdf

There are actually two titles RRS I & RRS II.

Aside from that the (MTA) cleaners are some of best paid cleaners that I know... Most folks that clean these days are union anyway and usually earn $20.00 a hour or more.  Labor intensive perhaps, but they're not breaking their backs either. They do the same crappola I do in my apartment... Sweeping, mopping, throwing out garbage, etc.  Not exactly complicated, and there's probably overtime available to bump up the gross overall.

It ain't complicated but they move around all day work multiple stations and some places are worse than others. Their supervisors are on them a lot. People are filthy as hell but garbage doesn't last too long lying around because of the cleaners. Pick any busy station and it would be a pig sty if left undone for 24hrs. How bout trains? let them do a 2-3 trips without being cleaned at the terminal and you would be afraid to go in them, you would be like what the hell happened here? I'm sure in your apartment you don't have to clean dog feces from your chairs (as I've seen on a couple lines) or piss and vomit at least once a day. I'm pretty sure you're garbage doesn't always  smell like decaying matter or weigh 25 pounds. You're also not always exposed to the air of death some of these homeless folk carry around. The old smee trains need to be closed up and keyed open at the end of some trips, so I go in a train car to key it open (I prefer doing it from the inside) and I had to run back to the other train car because the car had a putrid smell like no other. Sure enough two straight up zombies were sleeping in the train. No wonder the train was packed, basically operating with nine cars.

It ain't complicated but they move around all day work multiple stations and some places are worse than others. Their supervisors are on them a lot. People are filthy as hell but garbage doesn't last too long lying around because of the cleaners. Pick any busy station and it would be a pig sty if left undone for 24hrs. How bout trains? let them do a 2-3 trips without being cleaned at the terminal and you would be afraid to go in them, you would be like what the hell happened here? I'm sure in your apartment you don't have to clean dog feces from your chairs (as I've seen on a couple lines) or piss and vomit at least once a day. I'm pretty sure you're garbage doesn't always  smell like decaying matter or weigh 25 pounds. You're also not always exposed to the air of death some of these homeless folk carry around. The old smee trains need to be closed up and keyed open at the end of some trips, so I go in a train car to key it open (I prefer doing it from the inside) and I had to run back to the other train car because the car had a putrid smell like no other. Sure enough two straight up zombies were sleeping in the train. No wonder the train was packed, basically operating with nine cars.

Yes, bleach is their best friend... lol

• 2 weeks later...

Provisional....big key word in front of everything you started to say.....be happy man you still have the opportunity to move forward in the MTA....they are going your way by not putting you in the street....stay strong....day by day!

I though Rail Road Stock was making around 29-$30 an hour at top pay. Cleaner isn't too far behind from stock worker. Of course I could be wrong. Check here;   http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/wage_rates_final.pdf

There are actually two titles RRS I & RRS II.

Cleaners top pay rate is $26/hr. Problem for them is they're starting them at minimum pay which is $15/hr and they're also on one year probation. It's a raw deal. But some deal is better than no deal. When they laid stations agents off in 2010 they offered no jobs period. And left most people out of work for at least 7 months. And some staying out of work for the full 2 year 3 months.

Also yngmack923 not only do you have a pass in your pockets again, you also have health insurance, dental and your pension will conntinue to grow. All three things you dodn't have on unempoyment. Just let this be a lesson to take another provisional job again. You were hired under the grounds that your employment could be terminated at anytime, or for a specific time frame. Sorry to say but the union really couldn;t do much to help you guys in that regard. There's still groth to be had from the cleaners title. You can apply for promo exams to Station Supervisor or Conductor. Also if you coplete the unions TCP course you can be eligble to take the Train Operators Promo exam as well. Anyway good luck man.

Archived