Fare Hike effective March 2014 to $2.75

Javier

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/nyregion/mta-raises-fares-subways-and-buses.html?_r=0

The board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority voted on Thursday to raise the base fare on subways and buses by a quarter, to $2.75, and the cost of a 30-day MetroCard by $4.50, to $116.50.

The new fares, which will take effect on March 22, were part of a package of increases approved for the system’s trains, buses, tunnels and bridges.

Fare increases have become routine and are scheduled to occur every two years as part of the authority’s long-term revenue plans. The previous increase, in 2013, raised the base fare to $2.50, from $2.25.

Good... And I'm glad the express bus went up to $6.50... Some shady characters riding of late.... I'll glady pay the peanuts of an extra $2.75 a week on my express bus pass...

Whoa! :huh: ... So long as people pay and don't smell or bother anybody, I don't really care who boards. Ridership = More Runs. 

Whoa! :huh: ... So long as people pay and don't smell or bother anybody, I don't really care who boards. Ridership = More Runs. 

That's the point.... Obnoxious cell phone yappers, loud people and smelly people... Had a yapper on the BxM1 last night... I figured he had to be getting off in Inwood (which was the case) because he didn't stop talking on that damn cell phone from the minute he got on (91st street) until 207th.  Had to crank up my music just to block him out so as to avoid an argument since there are signs posted that say NO CELL PHONES.  One of those that needs to yell out all of his business so that everyone can hear... Save that crap for your home.  I try to avoid those via Inwood buses because you have some very inconsiderate people that get on.  They see a completely quiet bus but feel the need to yell out anyway.  Would've taken the BxM2 but the 1 was scheduled to come sooner so I walked over to 3rd and 86th and got it.

I'm sure you must have some on your buses... Plenty of them on some of the Staten Island express buses too, but the X14 was quite civilized since it went through fairly well-to-areas such as Westerleigh and parts of West Brighton.  I found the X17 to usually be ok as well unless the bus had to stop over by South Av.

I don't care who rides the express, as long as they aren't annoyances. Kepps service intact, and like 161 said, even more runs

BTW:

This doesn't mean you're getting rid of these obnioxious people, they'll still be those people

People yapping on the cell phone  ≠ shady people.

Well at $13.00 round trip, at some point those folks may start to think twice about riding, or at least riding less frequently, and that's a start.  :D

Sure it is.... If they aren't riding as frequently that's a good thing... Fewer obnoxious people that are loud, etc., etc.  Always a good thing when they aren't riding... Guess the subways will be even more packed.  :lol:

Nope.

How do you know they're gonna be less obnoxious people.

(Seriously, I hope more obnoxious people use your buses now, or move to your area)

Just a reminder, even though it's a premium service, it's still mass transit. If you don't like some of the characters, invest in a car.

Regarding the actual fare increase, I almost wish they just decided to raise the fare to $3 even. Almost that is. Of course, I was more in favor of them just eliminating the increasingly useless "bonus".

Nope.

How do you know they're gonna be less obnoxious people.

(Seriously, I hope more obnoxious people use your buses now, or move to your area)

The more expensive something is the fewer people there are that buy said item or use said service.... Just the way it works... Fewer people overall means it's highly likely that they'll be fewer obnoxious people.

The more expensive something is the fewer people there are that buy said item or use said service.... Just the way it works... Fewer people overall means it's highly likely that they'll be fewer obnoxious people.

What if they're expenses get covered, or what if they still have enough money to pay for it. You don't think of those factors? I've met of obnoxious people on my buses too, and wanna know something: they're the type of people who work on 5th and Madison Avenues (on the QM15). There's some on every single line, and as long as they pay and dont bother me, it's all good.

Obnoxious doesn't always mean they are "shady" either...

What if they're expenses get covered, or what if they still have enough money to pay for it. You don't think of those factors? I've met of obnoxious people on my buses too, and wanna know something: they're the type of people who work on 5th and Madison Avenues (on the QM15). There's some on every single line, and as long as they pay and dont bother me, it's all good.

Obnoxious doesn't always mean they are "shady" either...

LOL... I've worked on 5th Avenue most of my professional career and the idea of those types of people being "obnoxious" is just crazy.  People with money are generally classy folks unless they're spoiled brats.  The shady people I see riding are generally not as well off financially.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

LOL... I've worked on 5th Avenue most of my professional career and the idea of those types of people being "obnoxious" is just crazy.  People with money are generally classy folks unless they're spoiled brats.  The shady people I see riding are generally not as well off financially.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Well believe it. Everyone except the very front and very back could hear their discussions and what not.  

You don't think people with a lot of money are spoiled brats either? Brag about their money, yada yada yada, like I really don't care. You have more money than me, great, but don't try to subject me to listening to your 15 million stories that "hot shit" lifestyle. Yes, you'll have a significant amount of people who don't rub it in, but some people are just like, good lord, you'd except them to be Warren Buffett or something.

Furthermore, anyone that's just disrespectful, or just pure annoying, obnoxious. They can have a lot of money too. 

Are they doing the fare hike every other year? Or is it just 2015 and 2017 now, and not past there?

2015 and 2017... After that it should continue but at what rate and how frequently will depend on a number of things... I do see more hikes though, primarily due to out of control pension and healthcare costs from (MTA) union workers, and an ever aging system with skyrocketing (inflated) construction costs. <_<

2015 and 2017... After that it should continue but at what rate and how frequently will depend on a number of things... I do see more hikes though, primarily due to out of control pension and healthcare costs from (MTA) union workers, and an ever aging system with skyrocketing (inflated) construction costs. <_<

(Unfortunately) true. Remember the East Side Access original completion date (as an example)? It was originally supposed to open next year, but now because of that reason alone (that you said above), it's not going to be operational until 2023. The  (MTA) really needs to stop the inflated construction costs, indeed. If they don't, non of their projects will ever become a reality.  <_<

(Unfortunately) true. Remember the East Side Access original completion date (as an example)? It was originally supposed to open next year, but now because of that reason alone (that you said above), it's not going to be operational until 2023. The  (MTA) really needs to stop the inflated construction costs, indeed. If they don't, non of their projects will ever become a reality.  <_<

LOL you think the MTA is responsible for inflating construction costs? Please...

It's the MTA's fault because they're well aware (or should be well aware) that it can be done for much cheaper.

It's the contractors' faults for inflating their prices and not working to lower them (even though they have no incentive to do so), and for not properly monitoring their third party contractors.

It's the unions' faults for insisting on outdated work practices.

It's the state's fault for designing a crappy bidding process that forces the MTA to pick lowest bid while not actually achieving low prices, and a process that is so byzantine it can scare away potential competitors.

There's enough blame for everyone, folks.

Honestly, we should peg it to inflation and call it a day. Average ride costs are still lower than they were in 1997 after adjusting for inflation (mostly due to unlimited Metrocards now being a thing).

Construction costs are high, but the hole in the capital budget is far bigger than the amount we're spending on new capital projects. The costs for things like station rehabs and signalling (which the MTA does a lot of) are much lower than the stuff it is not used to doing (like big construction projects involving new underground stations)

It's the MTA's fault because they're well aware (or should be well aware) that it can be done for much cheaper.

Well said. You can't blame anyone else but the (MTA). The GC and the subs will charge what they can which certainly includes inflating their prices if they can when they see suckers like the (MTA), and so will the unions.

Well said. You can't blame anyone else but the (MTA). The GC and the subs will charge what they can which certainly includes inflating their prices if they can when they see suckers like the (MTA), and so will the unions.

I mean, the MTA has very little political power of its own, since all members are appointed by the State and can be sacked at any given moment - when was the last time we had a Chairman serving the full term of six years?

As a creature of the state, the state is also ultimately responsible for it (since it controls bidding rules that the MTA must abide, and on several occasions has given or almost given better pensions to MTA employees than the agency itself can afford), but given that Albany is a constantly festering source of corruption, change from that front is unlikely.

Archived