How is Part Time Experience rated for a Full Time Experience position?

train1290

Like for example, the Train Operator exam (NYCT) how would part time experience would be viewed/rated? I know they require 5 years Full Time experience or. 4 years a bachalers degree and at least 1 year full time experience. So if you only have Part Time experience how many years  would you need to have in order for it to be Equivalent to Full Time experience? Thank You.

My educated guess as far as answering this question, based on what I went through, is:

According to the Notice of Examination (http://www.nyc.gov/h...00808098000.pdf) they require 1 year of full-time experience, which you can not get out of. Now the definition of "pro-rated" (http://dictionary.re...rowse/pro-rated) is to divide, distribute or calculate proportionally.

Therefore, they will probably evaluate part-time the same as full-time. Although they will probably not reach out to the company for a reference check, providing you left the company on good terms (ex. not getting terminated, fired, etc.) you should be fine.

Hope this helps...

Like for example, the Train Operator exam (NYCT) how would part time experience would be viewed/rated? I know they require 5 years Full Time experience or. 4 years a bachalers degree and at least 1 year full time experience. So if you only have Part Time experience how many years  would you need to have in order for it to be Equivalent to Full Time experience? Thank You.

It depends on your hours per week.

Full time = 35 to 40 hours per week.

Part time = less.

So if you work 2 years of a part time job working 20 hours a week, and have 4 years of full time work experience working 40 hours a week, you have FIVE years work experience (1/2 of 2 = 1 + 4 = 5)

Thank you SubwayGuy: about the train operator positing, I was just using it as an example I never took the exam. The reason I asked this question was because the conductor exam is coming up to apply in septemeber 5-25,2015, and there are rumors that the MTA is going to change the Requirement to be 2 years of customer service experience, which I have. But I just wanted to know how Part time experience would be Pro rated to Full Time experience, I don't have any Full Time Experience. So with my case I would have to have worked 4 years as a Part timer to meet the requirement. Well hopefully they won't change the requirement and you just need the H.S. Diploma which I have, we'll see what happens.

Archived