Connection at Jay Street

Ramirez1523

I ride the (A) and (C) a lot and connect to the (F) across the platform and Jay Street/Metrotech, and it always seems that the the Southbound (A) and (C) always just miss the (F) on a regular basis, I was just wondering if there is a particular reason there is not a timed connection at Jay Street (unless your lucky and you have a nice C/R that will briefly hold the train to accommodate transfers)

1. You could have just posted this on the Subway Random Thoughts Thread. What you just said isn't important at all and not worth of a thread.

2. There are no "timed" connections unless the C/R is told to do so (hence holding lights or radio from dispatcher). The only "timed" connection in the whole subway system is Nevins Street on the (2) and (4) during late nights.

3. Remember, the schedule for every line is the movement of the trains themselves. That's it.

1. You could have just posted this on the Subway Random Thoughts Thread. What you just said isn't important at all and not worth of a thread.

2. There are no "timed" connections unless the C/R is told to do so (hence holding lights or radio from dispatcher). The only "timed" connection in the whole subway system is Nevins Street on the (2) and (4) during late nights.

3. Remember, the schedule for every line is the movement of the trains themselves. That's it.

in addition in several cases there are scheduled holds.

I've been riding the (N) to Manhattan during weekday afternoons, and I've noticed that they hold trains much longer at 59 Street, whether an (R) arrives or not. Of course, if an (R) does arrive, the (N) leaves right after the (R). But if it doesn't, it doesn't give up waiting until 4~5 minutes later. What gives?

I've been riding the (N) to Manhattan during weekday afternoons, and I've noticed that they hold trains much longer at 59 Street, whether an (R) arrives or not. Of course, if an (R) does arrive, the (N) leaves right after the (R). But if it doesn't, it doesn't give up waiting until 4~5 minutes later. What gives?

Is that what could be delaying my afternoon (N) trains?

Actually A's, C's, and F's are routinely asked to hold by Jay Street to make connections. If you aren't experiencing this it is likely because the train in question is either already significantly late or there is another one right behind it.

Or, it's rush hour, where trains are not generally to be held for connections unless circumstances permit.

Actually A's, C's, and F's are routinely asked to hold by Jay Street to make connections. If you aren't experiencing this it is likely because the train in question is either already significantly late or there is another one right behind it.

Or, it's rush hour, where trains are not generally to be held for connections unless circumstances permit.

it was always fun to be on a Manhattan bound (A) / (C) or (F) (or vice versa) and the trains basically race out of Jay Street together for a little bit and then the (F) drops out of sight after about a quarter to half a mile :)

There will be instances where a train will be well ahead of schedule and the dispatcher will hold the train in the station...

There will be instances where a train will be well ahead of schedule and the dispatcher will hold the train in the station...

I know there might be a statistical explanation for this, but I head towards Manhattan in the afternoon, and the last few days I've taken the (N), it always gets stopped at 59 Street. Those holding lights are always on when the train pulls in. Methinks the official schedule needs readjusting. The trains are either leaving Coney Island too early, or they're expecting (N) trains at 59 Street too late. They need to adjust the departure time at 59 Street so that (N) trains don't get held. The first time I it happened this month, not only were there no connecting (R) trains, but by the time the (N) got to Atlantic Avenue, the (R) train it could've caught was already leaving the station at full speed. It spent 5 minutes at 59 Street being useless, and I highly doubt the (N) could save enough time from Coney Island to 59 Street to be 5 minutes early.

it was always fun to be on a Manhattan bound (A) / (C) or (F) (or vice versa) and the trains basically race out of Jay Street together for a little bit and then the (F) drops out of sight after about a quarter to half a mile :)

lol same here. I hate when the (A) takes forever to close the doors when the (F) is departing. I enjoy it a lot, especially with the (A) / (C) racing at the same time before reaching Hoyt-Schermerhorn Manhattan bound.

I ride the (A) and (C) a lot and connect to the (F) across the platform and Jay Street/Metrotech, and it always seems that the the Southbound (A) and (C) always just miss the (F) on a regular basis, I was just wondering if there is a particular reason there is not a timed connection at Jay Street (unless your lucky and you have a nice C/R that will briefly hold the train to accommodate transfers)

I take the (A) every day to Chambers St & it seems that when the (A) arrives at Jay Street, the train do not wait for the (F) , even if the (F) just arrive at Jay Street, the (A) will leave. But when the (F) is at the station, the train will wait for the (A) or (C) . Its like every time I am on the (A), the (F) is there waiting patiently. Like what RollOver said, its up to the dispatcher.

• 5 weeks later...

Well northbound in the afternoon on the 2/5 at E180 tend to wait for each other to make the transfer if they arrive within a few minutes of each other..Mainly they will hold the 2 to connect with arriving 5 then let the 2 leave first...Really helps since the 5 tends to run more frequently then the 2!. I try to wait to after 430 to catch the Direct 5s up white plains rd but I get outta work at 4pm so i jus make the change at 180th to get to 225/wpr..The first 5 To 238/White Plains Rd  Departs Grand Central ( where I get on at) about 440PM.

Archived