The MTA is Operating a Free Bus Service

BrooklynBus

I actually thought that the MTA was providing free service because of the storm.

Anyways, if a B1 shuttle were to be made, it should be operated at 5 minute headways(?) 3 Buses would be needed.

There already is a B1 shuttle from Ocean Parkway to the College. Unlike the B49, the B1 shuttles are very well utilized from Monday through Thursday. But they are regular buses not artics. Free artics would make a lot of sense because they would load in a fourth of the time. The school provides free buses anyway. The problem is where to turn them. They probably would have to turn at West Second Street where the current shuttle buses turn. Not sure hw many would be needed because the current schedule also turns many buses at 25 Avenue.

When I took the B49 to Kingsborough I hated it so much that I drove to that school instead. When I did take the B49 though, I know going to the college it was crowded as hell. Coming back it was crowded only if you missed the first bus, then all the students just fill up the stop waiting for the next bus while people who take the B1 have buses come after buses.  Actually surprised they used the B49 instead of the B1 shuttle as the KBCC shuttle operates to Brighton Beach station, no?

A B44 extension to KBCC would have benefited me more as well. But after I started driving the college, I didn't have to deal with the nonsense B49/B1 jumbo to KBCC.

The B1 has about three or four shuttle buses from Ocean Parkway to the College and they are heavily utilized. The KBCC shuttle operates between the Brighton Beach station and the college, and some of the buses also run to Stillwell Terminal. It is not run on any schedule and buses wait to meet subway trains. Service is sporadic. You could have a bus every 10 minutes or 30 minutes without a bus. It really doesn't matter since it is designed to supplement MTA service, not replace it. Those buses handle about 30% of the traffic and even with them, service is grossly insufficient according to the service planning guidelines.

The B49 only has one or two shuttle buses which are mostly empty. I thought the reason they chose the B49 for the artics was because Ulmer Park can't handle artics and doesn't have any. But someone told me that the MTA operates school specials from other depots on other routes. If so, then there is no reason they couldn't use the two artics on the B1 instead of the B49. They would be much more effective there.

Just curious...where exactly is this island area...thank you

I lived in manhattan.beach....few,years ago

Off of Banner avenue

Banner Avenue is in Brighton Beach, not Manhattan Beach.

I actually remember when the street (West Brighton Avenue) was built in the 1970s.  Prior to that it was just a dirt road. When it was paved, the area under the el was paved, forming the islands and the traffic lanes were placed outside the el.

Here is a photo from Google maps.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=16B101054C13A9CB&resid=16B101054C13A9CB%21605&authkey=AHfvpsZ-PJxdFwQ" width="120" height="160" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Archived