Final Phase of 104 St and 88 St A Line Station Renewals Completed

Union Tpke

http://www.mta.info/news-line-subway-new-york-city-transit-liberty-avenue/2015/01/30/final-phase-104-st-and-88-st-line

Final Phase of 104 St and 88 St A Line Station Renewals Completed

January 30th, 2015 
rehabilitated_manhattan-bound_platform_a
Rehabilitated platform at 104 St.-Oxford Ave. station

Beginning at 5:00 a.m., Monday, February 2, A Line customers will once again have access to the Manhattan-bound sides of the 104 St and 88 St stations along the Liberty Avenue Line in Queens. The five-month station renewal project is part of a major $39 million capital project that will see the complete renewal of five stations along the Liberty Avenue A Line.

On May 12, 2014, the Queens-bound sides of the 104 St and 88 St stations were the first two platforms to close for renewal work. This work was successfully completed on September 29, and work began on the Manhattan-bound platforms on October 13, 2014. During the closures, customers were able to take advantage of free shuttle bus service to nearby open stations.

“For these stations, originally opened in the early 1900’s, these improvements will create significantly better conditions for our customers,” said NYC Transit President Carmen Bianco. “We appreciate the community’s patience and understanding while we carried out this important work.”

Improvements at both the 104 St and 88 St stations include repairs to staircases, mezzanine floors, doors, windows, and interior and exterior walls. Each station was painted and canopies, windscreen panels and railings were replaced. In addition, structural steel repairs were made to the girders supporting the subway platforms at both stations, as well as ADA improvements which consisted of repairs to the tactile warning strips at the platform’s edge. Aside from the component improvements, customers will also benefit from new lighting in the mezzanine and artwork to be installed at the completion of construction.

MTA Arts & Design commissioned five artists to create durable, vibrant metal artwork for installation in the platform windscreens at the five Liberty Line stations. At 104 St, “On the Right Track” by artist Beatrice Coron features 24 cut stainless steel panels with hand-soldering. Representing a giant deck of 24 playing cards, each image reveals an upbeat mood that passengers may choose to adopt for the day. Haresh Lalvani created “MORPHING88,” consisting of 24 stainless steel sculptural panels. Inspired by the geography of the distance and angles of the streets located adjacent to the 88 St station, each panel is unique with patterns generated through the use of an algorithm and a mathematical formula.

Following the successful completion of the 104 St and 88 St stations, the next station scheduled for renewal along the Liberty Line is Rockaway Blvd. In keeping with our goal to inconvenience customers as little as possible, the Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd-bound platform of the Rockaway Blvd station is slated to close for approximately 14 weeks, between February 2015 and May 2015 for renewal work. During this period, Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd-bound A service will skip Rockaway Blvd.

Service notices will be posted in all stations along the Liberty Avenue line prior to the commencement of work and announcements will be made on trains. The construction contracts were awarded in December 2013 as a joint venture to Forte Construction Corp and Emis Construction Group.

Customers may log on to www.mta.info and click on Planned Service Changes for the most up-to-date information. Remember that TripPlanner+ provides travel information that takes all service diversions into account. In addition, customers can receive customized alerts via e-mail or text message by signing up here: http://www.mymtaalerts.com

104_st-oxford_avenue_station_-_new_stair
104 St-Oxford Ave. new staircase
before_station_renewal_-_104_st-oxford_a
104 St-Oxford Ave. new staircase before station renewal
  •  

I went through there earlier. On the Manhattan bound platforms they got the signs abbreviated (88 Street-Boyd Av/104 Street-Oxford Av), but on the Lefferts/Rockaway side, they spelled it out completely (88 Street-Boyd Avenue/104 Street-Oxford Avenue)

Found it strange, yet funny

Now they need to hurry up with 80th and 111th, 111th especially.

I wonder how they're going to do the Rockaway Blvd rehab...

i am wondering too..rockaway blvd is my home station and its going to suck if that station is closed :(. I wish they did 80th st and save rockaway blvd for last

They will do Rockaway Blvd last since its a major transfer point and the area around that station is very busy and always crowded. After they are done with the other stations, they will probably do the Lefferts/Rockaway Bound side first and then Bklyn/Manhattan Bound side last.

i am wondering too..rockaway blvd is my home station and its going to suck if that station is closed :(. I wish they did 80th st and save rockaway blvd for last

I live near the Lefferts Blvd station (by way of Q24/Q10 or Q41/Q10), so I know how you feel lol. I wonder when they'll finally overhaul that station....

They will do Rockaway Blvd last since its a major transfer point and the area around that station is very busy and always crowded. After they are done with the other stations, they will probably do the Lefferts/Rockaway Bound side first and then Bklyn/Manhattan Bound side last.

That I know. What I meant is how will they handle the situation with the transfers and such, like passengers who connect with the buses below and such. Makes me wonder if they'll run a shuttle bus between stations for that connection.

I live near the Lefferts Blvd station (by way of Q24/Q10 or Q41/Q10), so I know how you feel lol. I wonder when they'll finally overhaul that station....

That I know. What I meant is how will they handle the situation with the transfers and such, like passengers who connect with the buses below and such. Makes me wonder if they'll run a shuttle bus between stations for that connection.

I think they should run shuttle buses if they close Manhattan bound side because that way it will be easier to get to 88 st instead of having to wait for the Lefferts bound train or if they want, they can walk to104 st station since it is not that far from Rockaway Blvd.

Why would they waste tons of money? The track is needed for flexibility

Agree. Having the extra track allows for service to continue relatively uninterrupted if there's something blocking a track. Also, the trackway isn't wide enough for an ADA platform, so you'd be spending tons of money to reroute the tracks.

Whether they did Rock Blvd now or last, youre still going to be inconvenienced either way. Luckily theyre repairing it at the end of winter into spring. Shouldnt be too bad for you.

Rockaway Blvd is a "key" station if there ever was one in that general area, so it should definitely be considered for ADA accessibility. The MTA has shoved elevators into tighter stations before.

That also depends on where, the area around the Q112 is not quite suitable given it's extremely unusual sidewalk/street design along with both parts of the waiting areas in the station are not even close to the sidewalk, they go pretty far into the streets.

Update, Rockaway Blvd is actually NEXT!

Great! I wasn't able to see the poster that they had put up at Rockaway Blvd since I was in the first car. I was thinking about taking a picture of the service change tomorrow and upload it here but I forgot that I can go on mta.info and look at the service change. I had a feeling they will do Queens Bound first.

A.png Rockaway Blvd Station information

Beginning 5 AM Monday, Feb 9 until Summer 2015

The Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound platform at Rockaway Blvd will be closed for renovation.

Travel Alternatives

For service to this station, take the A.png to 104 St or Aqueduct North Conduit Av

and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound A.png.

For service from this station, take the A.png to 88 St and transfer to

an Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound A.png.

http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=A&date=2%2f5%2f2015&time=&method=getstatus4

Earlier this week, I ended up walking from 127th to Rockaway Blvd due to impatience (No train in sight at Lefferts); wanted to ride the A out to Broadway Junction... The only A train I saw, was when I got up to 104th - travelling towards Lefferts! I shouldn't have wasted time waiting at 111th (token booth level, never swiped at the station) for those 10 mins or so (part of the reason I did that was due to how cold it was)....

To be honest, although I saw the stairwell closings along Liberty, I gave it no thought as to what construction was actually being done... I just wanted to make my way to Rockaway blvd.... Ended up diverting off Liberty at 100th (I think that side street is, which was unshoveled btw; noticed parked police vehicles there) off Liberty so I can hit up the White Castle on Rockaway....

Ultimately, I ended up doing the Q53 to the Q35, instead of boarding at Rockaway Blvd for the (A)....

The Q53 was right there, the Q35 I had to do that stupid 2-3 block run for (or else it would've been that 30-45 min wait), and the B46 I had to jog across utica midblock b/w Flatbush & Fillmore for.... Basically, I got lucky with the bus connections....

Great! I wasn't able to see the poster that they had put up at Rockaway Blvd since I was in the first car. I was thinking about taking a picture of the service change tomorrow and upload it here but I forgot that I can go on mta.info and look at the service change. I had a feeling they will do Queens Bound first.

A.png Rockaway Blvd Station information

Beginning 5 AM Monday, Feb 9 until Summer 2015

The Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound platform at Rockaway Blvd will be closed for renovation.

Travel Alternatives

For service to this station, take the A.png to 104 St or Aqueduct North Conduit Av

and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound A.png.

For service from this station, take the A.png to 88 St and transfer to

an Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound A.png.

http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=A&date=2%2f5%2f2015&time=&method=getstatus4

yep. Due this weekend work, it looks like they are getting an earlier start on the work. I noticed on friday night, they had one of the stairwells already closed

Now, both stairwells are closed on woodhaven and liberty ave

yep. Due this weekend work, it looks like they are getting an earlier start on the work. I noticed on friday night, they had one of the stairwells already closed

Now, both stairwells are closed on woodhaven and liberty ave

A early start is better than nothing, especially when the snow delays the construction. I hope they include cameras on the platforms because none of any renovated stations I see on the (A) don't have cameras besides the turnstile entrance. After awhile, I would see writings on the platform walls.

Why would they waste tons of money? The track is needed for flexibility

Looks like they crippled flexiblity. They couldn't make Rockaway Blvd with island platforms and wyes that connect to middle track and outer track for Rockaway Line. Plus, is service really planned to be that frequent that it didn't qualify for a level junction?

Archived