MTA sees increase in garbage at subway stations, growing ridership could be the reason

Harry

post-5097-0-98811900-1424746007_thumb.jpg
More riders. More trash. There’s more litter in subway stations and that may be because more people are using the system, an (MTA) spokesman said Monday. But some riders blamed the increase in filth on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for removing trash cans at some stations as part of a pilot program to clean up the system. “Since they took the garbage cans away, people just throw garbage on the platform or the tracks,” said Quomethia Knox, 45, a legal assistant from the Bronx. She said conditions worsened at her home station at 238th St. in the Bronx on the (1) line, one of the stations in the program.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-98811900-1424746007_thumb.jpg

The only people that should be blamed for the trash on the floor are the passengers themselves. It was happening before the trash cans were removed, why wouldn't it happen after. And another thing, if there were people throwing their trash away anyway, why would they start throwing it on the floor now?

This shows growing ridership, just as they said. This also means that more inconsiderate people are going to be throwing trash on the ground.

Removal of trash cans are not the problem. The problem are the passengers.

The only people that should be blamed for the trash on the floor are the passengers themselves. It was happening before the trash cans were removed, why wouldn't it happen after. And another thing, if there were people throwing their trash away anyway, why would they start throwing it on the floor now?

This shows growing ridership, just as they said. This also means that more inconsiderate people are going to be throwing trash on the ground.

Removal of trash cans are not the problem. The problem are the passengers.

Actually it's both.  I've seen plenty of pigs throwing their trash right on the tracks without any hesitation and in those cases, even if a garbage can was right next to them it wouldn't matter.  I saw a guy along the (A) line do it uptown and was amazed that he didn't see any problem doing it.  What I do notice is that some stations (primarily ones that aren't in the crème de la crème areas of Manhattan) seem to have far fewer garbage cans.  I make a concerted effort to find a garbage can when I need to throw something away, but I must say I have to walk MUCH further now to find one even in stations in Midtown, and it can be quite annoying.  People are generally not going to make that much of an effort and would rather just throw their crap everywhere.  The (MTA) is trying to skate around the issue and argue that it's ONLY the increase in passengers that is the cause and it has nothing to do with the removal of trash cans.  

IF too many people were littering before the cans were removed, then removing them will all the more give them an "excuse" (in their own minds, at least) to throw stuff on the floor; and perhaps some people who would not have littered before, might be more inclined to do so, now.

IF too many people were littering before the cans were removed, then removing them will all the more give them an "excuse" (in their own minds, at least) to throw stuff on the floor; and perhaps some people who would not have littered before, might be more inclined to do so, now.

Exactly... The (MTA) can't expect people to "hold on" to their trash.  I mean I've seen people spill drinks while in the system. They're not going to hold on to a drink that spilled over the place, though quite frankly they shouldn't be eating and drinking in the system anyway (I'm talking about the folks that have their entire meal on the damn subway or come on the train with those enormous drinks spilling crap everywhere), but that's another topic.  I don't eat or drink on the subway at all (too skeeved out to do), but if I'm on the go, I'll finish an espresso while making my way to the subway, but that is thrown in the garbage immediately upon drinking it, this way I don't have to worry about spilling crap all over the damn train.  

Yes the hell they can. It's not hard to carry the trash you brought into the system out of it as well. That's just rude. Someone should walk into their houses and start leaving trash everywhere. Let's see how they like it.

Actually it's both.  I've seen plenty of pigs throwing their trash right on the tracks without any hesitation and in those cases, even if a garbage can was right next to them it wouldn't matter.  I saw a guy along the (A) line do it uptown and was amazed that he didn't see any problem doing it.  What I do notice is that some stations (primarily ones that aren't in the crème de la crème areas of Manhattan) seem to have far fewer garbage cans.  I make a concerted effort to find a garbage can when I need to throw something away, but I must say I have to walk MUCH further now to find one even in stations in Midtown, and it can be quite annoying.  People are generally not going to make that much of an effort and would rather just throw their crap everywhere.  The (MTA) is trying to skate around the issue and argue that it's ONLY the increase in passengers that is the cause and it has nothing to do with the removal of trash cans.  

THEN YOU WALK FURTHER. My glob, people. You are acting like it's a chore. That's just disgusting. If you can't find a trash can in the system, then you FIND ONE IN THE STREET. As an ADULT, you should know that. Excuses like this annoy me to death. Then children see that and start following and eventually the cycle repeats. This is a problem the citizens are responsible for. I sympathize with the MTA because it makes sense. If people are not going to use the receptacles we provide and throw their sh*t on the floor, then why are we keeping them? A waste. Then people have the audacity to point out that they are gone and more trash is piling up? Y'all weren't using them when they were there so why should I care?

Ugh...

Yes the hell they can. It's not hard to carry the trash you brought into the system out of it as well. That's just rude. Someone should walk into their houses and start leaving trash everywhere. Let's see how they like it.

THEN YOU WALK FURTHER. My glob, people. You are acting like it's a chore. That's just disgusting. If you can't find a trash can in the system, then you FIND ONE IN THE STREET. As an ADULT, you should know that. Excuses like this annoy me to death. Then children see that and start following and eventually the cycle repeats. This is a problem the citizens are responsible for. I sympathize with the MTA because it makes sense. If people are not going to use the receptacles we provide and throw their sh*t on the floor, then why are we keeping them? A waste. Then people have the audacity to point out that they are gone and more trash is piling up? Y'all weren't using them when they were there so why should I care?

Ugh...

Excuse me but I don't know who you are yelling at. I made it clear that I observe OTHER PEOPLE throwing their trash on the tracks, not moi. I don't even use the subway like that to begin with so I rarely have any trash to throw away, since I would never eat on the subway.  All I said was that I have to walk further to find a trash can when I do have have trash and am taking the subway.

I'm not yelling. I'm just speaking the truth because the reasons you've provided are a poor excuse for the actions people have taken in regards to their trash.

When I was talking about walking to a trash can, it was in general. You can use "you" in that way you know.

I'm not yelling. I'm just speaking the truth because the reasons you've provided are a poor excuse for the actions people have taken in regards to their trash.

When I was talking about walking to a trash can, it was in general. You can use "you" in that way you know.

The point I was making is that people (in general) are not going to go out of their way to properly dispose of the trash, especially subway riders, and before someone goes yelling about stereotyping subway riders, the proof is in the pudding.  You have some subway riders that don't litter, some that are just pigs, and a lot that probably wouldn't litter if trash receptables were more readily available.

It's worth noting that the trash problem that exists in the subways is basically non-existent at Metro-North stations.  I wonder why...  <_<

Because those who ride Metro-North have pride in their mode of transport? People do go out of their way to dispose of their trash. What we see is simple. Monkey see, monkey do. On Metro-North, if people don't see it, they are not going to follow. Thus the trash problem, if any, on Metro-North can be managed to almost non existence. It also helps that MNRR closes at night.

Because those who ride Metro-North have pride in their mode of transport? People do go out of their way to dispose of their trash. What we see is simple. Monkey see, monkey do. On Metro-North, if people don't see it, they are not going to follow. Thus the trash problem, if any, on Metro-North can be managed to almost non existence. It also helps that MNRR closes at night.

Yeah, but the (MTA) hasn't removed any trash areas at any of the Metro-North stations.  I don't go "out of my way" when I use Metro-North to get rid of trash because I know exactly where the trash areas are, and they're conveniently located, unlike at some subway stations.

Well people obviously use the trash cans. If people are using the bins and not throwing their trash everywhere, then there's a reason for them to stay. Now if there were trash cans and trash was still ending up all over the place, what point is there to having them if they are just going to waste?

The point I was making is that people (in general) are not going to go out of their way to properly dispose of the trash, especially subway riders, and before someone goes yelling about stereotyping subway riders, the proof is in the pudding. You have some subway riders that don't litter, some that are just pigs, and a lot that probably wouldn't litter if trash receptables were more readily available.

It's worth noting that the trash problem that exists in the subways is basically non-existent at Metro-North stations. I wonder why... <_<

Not for nothing, but I have been on dirty Metro-North trains, and seen dirty platforms. Its not as squeaky clean as you're making it out to be

Well people obviously use the trash cans. If people are using the bins and not throwing their trash everywhere, then there's a reason for them to stay. Now if there were trash cans and trash was still ending up all over the place, what point is there to having them if they are just going to waste?

The issue here is the (MTA) is trying to remove trash cans in the subways to reduce costs, which is clearly not working. They noted that they are becoming overwhelmed with the amount of trash in terms of the volume and how much effort and money it takes to transport it from the system.  They're removing the trash cans and hoping that people will either use the ones that remain in the station, OR take their trash with them and hold on to it until they arrive above ground, as if the trash cans above ground can handle the additional trash.  

Not for nothing, but I have been on dirty Metro-North trains, and seen dirty platforms. Its not as squeaky clean as you're making it out to be

I wasn't talking about the trains themselves, but rather the stations.  Anywho, the Harlem line is probably the diritiest in terms of trains, which makes sense given the stops that it makes in the Bronx, and the fact that it's one of the busiest lines out of the three.  I use it here and there when I'm going up near Bronxville.  However, the Hudson Line is FAR cleaner, as it serves mainly the river towns in Westchester and very clean areas of the city like Riverdale.  Yankees-E153rd street is rather isolated and a PITA to get to despite it being in the South Bronx, so that station stays quite clean, and the other two stations in rather run down areas are also isolated (Morris Heights and University Heights).  Neither of those stations see enough foot traffic to warrant any trash problems either.

What stations are these? If we're talking about Fordham (LOL) then yeah of course.  I'm thinking about stations that I use (Woodlawn, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil and further north in Westchester).

Don't try and be a wise ass especially since you have a fear of even going there or in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Most of the stations were never as clean as you make it out to be. Even in the MTA Board Meeting materials shows that cleanliness on MNRR stations are just as bad (if not worse) than LIRR stations. I gotta find the PDF that had it, but even your stations you frequent tanked in cleanliness between 2012 and 2014, especially during the spring, summer and fall months(which then showed a slight increase in cleanliness at Q4 of 2014 because of a drop in ridership at some stations).

Plus, I've used all three of those stations and quite a few others on work-related business, they're never clean to begin with.

Of course he would refer to the ones in the "ghetto".

Well the Fordham station is like a subway anyway (in every way lol) so that shouldn't even count.

Don't try and be a wise ass especially since you have a fear of even going there or in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Most of the stations were never as clean as you make it out to be. Even in the MTA Board Meeting materials shows that cleanliness on MNRR stations are just as bad (if not worse) than LIRR stations. I gotta find the PDF that had it, but even your stations you frequent tanked in cleanliness between 2012 and 2014, especially during the spring, summer and fall months(which then showed a slight increase in cleanliness at Q4 of 2014 because of a drop in ridership at some stations).

Plus, I've used all three of those stations and quite a few others on work-related business, they're never clean to begin with.

I would be curious to see what the (MTA) has to say about my stations because I certainly don't see trash all over the place.  The stations are starting to show their age here and there but they are certainly no Fordham, esp. the Riverdale station. I don't see trash all about.  The Spuyten Duyvil station is spotless.  The only place you may see trash is right near the Hudson, but that could be from anything. Could even be workers themselves doing it.

Well the Fordham station is like a subway anyway (in every way lol) so that shouldn't even count.

I would be curious to see what the (MTA) has to say about my stations because I certainly don't see trash all over the place. The stations are starting to show their age here and there but they are certainly no Fordham, esp. the Riverdale station. I don't see trash all about. The Spuyten Duyvil station is spotless. The only place you may see trash is right near the Hudson, but that could be from anything. Could even be workers themselves doing it.

New Rochelle isn't spotless. I would know because I had to take the train there daily for about 2 years.

Archived