Maps From Pre-2010

MTA Dude

I did a bit of searching and poking around, and I found some pre-2010 maps.

Queens: http://www.bodywisdomacupuncture.com/index_files/queensbusmap.pdf

Manhattan: http://www.jeparsauxusa.com/sites/all/themes/usa/images/villes/images_ny/pdf/busmap.pdf

Brooklyn: http://metropoliphone.com/img/bus/bus_nyc_bkln.pdf

Now you look at these maps and go: Wow, the (MTA) really screwed up and made a crap ton of stupid lines!

More to come! I'm not sure when though... :P

If you can find a 1999 bronx map, I will be so happy.

Those maps? I saw a 1985 map and went haywire.

Stupid Lines (IMO):

• The Q75? Really?
  • They couldn't merge the Q79 earlier? 
  • Wow, the X32. WTF is it supposed to do?
  • The Q14 ran parallel with the Q15!
  • M30? What?
  • Wow! An M27!
  • Did the M15 really need City Hall service?
  • What the hell did they do with the M1 and M5 over there?
  • A B51? Honestly, I don't understand B39 either...
  • M18 is kinda pointless.
  • I really don't wanna bother with Brooklyn.

Those maps? I saw a 1985 map and went haywire.

Stupid Lines (IMO):

• The Q75? Really? Yes, it was designated for Oakland Gardens residents to connect with the subway instead of taking the 88 out to the subway, which would also increase travel time. 
  • They couldn't merge the Q79 earlier?  The MTA eliminated the Q79 in 2010, brought it back as part of a Q36 extension, however only on weekdays.
  • Wow, the X32. WTF is it supposed to do? Send Bronx Science kids to school from areas it serve
  • The Q14 ran parallel with the Q15! Served different part of Whitestone, but I'll agree with you that it should've just serve 150 street
  • M30? What? It ran as an alternative to the subway from the Upper East Side into the CBD, however the real reason for the discontinuation was because of inadequate funding; ran rush hours only too, so it makes sense.
  • Wow! An M27! I'll agree with you in that 49/50 Street did not need 50-75% of the service given on that corridor throughout the day.
  • Did the M15 really need City Hall service? It was just the limited trips from what I remember. The locals went to South Ferry. It was basically a convenient terminal without overserving Water Street, while provide service to more destinations. 
  • What the hell did they do with the M1 and M5 over there? Anyone who thinks the current M5 is better over the old M1/6 setup needs to take one of those buses, the M5 runs considerably worse with that South Ferry terminal. They didn't need the M1 running middays to South Ferry either. 
  • A B51? Honestly, I don't understand B39 either... It's for the ADA people who can't move without an elevator at the station. The difference is the B39 passes one station without ADA access, the B51 passes through ones in which most have. Formerly part of the B44.
  • M18 is kinda pointless.  It was the former M3 Convent Avenue branch, used to be 5 Avenue, truncated in 1995 then lost ridership signifcantly and discontinued
  • I really don't wanna bother with Brooklyn.

Just because routes are not the way it seems makes the planning poor or stupid. Times change, and even in tight situations, drastic measures will be done. The former ridership on these routes weren't sufficient or just dwindled to a certain point there needs cutbacks. All the routes you listed for the most part fell with the latter statement (routes like the B39, B51, and others fell with the former statement). That is not to also say that some routes were just poorly planned from the beginning. However not all cutbacks and eliminations mean previous poor planning. 

Hmm, I see what you are doing there. But I'm literally a historian right now because I have no other trace of even the pre-2010 maps. My interest in the transit system probably went up like 75%-300% between 2011 and now.

I wouldn't be so quick to say those lines were stupid. They probably did have usage before, but as time changes, the ridership also changes, If it's too low, then routes go on the chopping block.

Does anyone think the old M12(Spring,Prince & Delancey) crosstown should be brought back?

There is. It's called reliability.

Not only that, but it maintains the core service levels on 57 street without over serving the two ends. Even it's current setup has that prone to delays, some M31's schedule to Yorkville end up turning around at Sutton Place.

Does anyone think the old M12(Spring,Prince & Delancey) crosstown should be brought back?

Nah, I think the M21 should be left handling it as it is.

Archived