no bus for 1+ hour

azspeedbullet

what causes no buses to be run for over 1+ hours? I just missed the 8:30pm Jamaica bound Q54 at Metro and Grandview ave. I had to wait until after 10pm for the next Jamaica bound bus. What happen? MTA website showed no delays for the Q54. The time table on the bus stop pole showed that the bus was suppose to stop at 8:51pm, 9:11pm, 9:30pm, 9:46pm. Finally, a little after 10pm the bus finally arrived. I overheard a frustrating conversation with passenger and bus driver because his metrocard transfer expired due to waiting a very long time for the bus. Lucky the bus driver let him on. Is this normal service? I know it was raining tonight, but the B38 and B57 was running close to normal schedule.

Here is a few screenshots of bus time from my phone (that strange hue/tint color is due to the twilight app on my phone that makes my phone less bright at night. A similar app called flux can be used on PC/Mac/Linux)

9:31 pm is still at terminal:
ODyexpm.png

8MaWt49.png

Finally, it came:

XN9BsmI.png

Any ideas on what happen? Why is MTA reducing service like this. Waiting this long for a bus makes me feel that the MTA does not deserve the extra 5 dollars they get from raising the unlimited fare in a few weeks.

The MTA replied to my twitter question, there were flooding somewhere in brooklyn and that they were toooo lazy to update their website or nyct bus twitter account to post an service alert announcing the 1hr delay

Why it is impossible to get update information out to bus passenger? If i know there was a delay, i would of went home a different way instead of waiting 1hr 20 min for the bus

It happened to me too twice on Saturday. NICE and MTA 2 hours wait.

1st hour I was at Hicksville Station and new driver on 6:04 n20 Flushing left 10 teminutes early at 5:54pm and at LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal, I was forced to wait an hour for Q72 because 2 buses were missing.

Yeah the MTA still has a long ways to go. Simple delays such as heavy traffic which causes buses to bunched up and show up late everyday. I always bring up the Q25, Q17 and Q44 because Flushing Main St delays these route horribly. It can take 15 minutes to get from Northen to Kissena Blvd on Main Street. The Q17 to Jamaica can have you wait for 20 or more minutes while you may see two short turned Q17's at Fresh Meadows. I would suggest getting rid of the useless short turn and have a buses go to Jamaica. The Q25 can benefit from more buses starting at Horace Harding Exway and Queens College beside crowds of people get on at the next few stops but instead we must wait 20+ minutes half the time because they are not smart enough to know how to work around delays and run service that is needed.

I remember a few years ago, I had to wait for an hour for the N1 to Hewlett to transfer to the N31 or N32 to Far Rockaway. I was coming from Green Acres Mall. This was before NICE. This happened on a Saturday around 8pm. Not one  N1 came, another LIB bus driver told me they are not running. I had no choice but to take the Q5 or Q85 to Jamaica and catch the Q113. Now after hearing that you got an update from the (MTA) about the Q54 incident, they should of posted that asap.

Service%20Changes%201_zpsjwrzocbt.pngService%20Changes%202_zpsjcpc9dgk.pngService%20Changes%203_zpsutlm6hot.png

My long waits on the bus are due to incompetent passengers not realizing there is a back portion of the bus causing the bus to be "packed" and skips stops. Or plain and simple...traffic.

But in your case, I actually get a notice on the bustime itself if there is an obstruction along the route causing delays. Though when it's cleared, the notice is still on the bustime website.

if you have Android, download MTA Tracker. It's free, and it shows you exactly where the bus is (and the bus number)

I have that too. I also have NYC Bus Checker , which is reliable, NYC Trainsit Status and My MTA Alerts Mobile, which automatically sends you notification about delays and service changes. Whatever it says on mta.info, it will be updated on the app.

another day another problem with the Q54

I got to the bus stop (metro and grandview) at around 8:20pm. The time schedule on the pole said the bus was suppose to come around 8:31pm. With no bus on the horizon, i checked bus time around that time and it was just leaving williamsburg in brooklyn. Hmm, where did that bus go? Lucky, a bus came around 8:51pm which was on time and on schedule. Unfortunately,  that bus was very very crowded and the driver did not stop. A few minutes later, around 8:55pm, another Q54 came by and stopped at the bus stop and it was empty so i was able to get on that bus. When i checked bus time, i noticed that the 9:11pm bus was on time and on schedule since it got to the grandview stop at around 9:08pm.

So what happen considering a bus did arrive at the bus stop on time at around 8:50 and around 9:10? Could a bus be that delayed causing 2 buses to run back to back like or is more efficient for MTA to run 2 bus back to

back every 40-45 minutes versus running the buses normally every 15-20ish minutes?

another day another problem with the Q54

I got to the bus stop (metro and grandview) at around 8:20pm. The time schedule on the pole said the bus was suppose to come around 8:31pm. With no bus on the horizon, i checked bus time around that time and it was just leaving williamsburg in brooklyn. Hmm, where did that bus go? Lucky, a bus came around 8:51pm which was on time and on schedule. Unfortunately,  that bus was very very crowded and the driver did not stop. A few minutes later, around 8:55pm, another Q54 came by and stopped at the bus stop and it was empty so i was able to get on that bus. When i checked bus time, i noticed that the 9:11pm bus was on time and on schedule since it got to the grandview stop at around 9:08pm.

So what happen considering a bus did arrive at the bus stop on time at around 8:50 and around 9:10? Could a bus be that delayed causing 2 buses to run back to back like or is more efficient for MTA to run 2 bus back to

back every 40-45 minutes versus running the buses normally every 15-20ish minutes?

Natural delays. Suprised the second bus was on time, it makes more sense to be early since that bus in the front probably stole all the passengers.

Whatever it says on mta.info, it will be updated on the app.

Sure, the (MTA) is very unreliable.

Archived