MTA board member: "Passenger experience is quite miserable"

Via Garibaldi 8

MTA officials to 'miserable' passengers: We can do better

By DAN RIVOLI March 23, 2015

image.jpg
NYC commuters are not happy, and the MTA admits it could do better. (Credit: Craig Ruttle)

A day after riders got hit with another fare hike, top MTA officials admitted Mondaythat service has slipped and an action plan will be developed to address it.

"I realize it and we all realize that service ... is not where we need it to be and not necessarily meeting our customers' expectations," said Carmen Bianco, president of New York City Transit.

At an MTA board hearing, officials said they will have a plan to ensure more trains arrive to stations on time and better recover from malfunctions and disruptions, even under the strain of record ridership.

Delays, mostly from overcrowding, have been piling up. There were an average of 43,094 delays a month, 36% more than the year before, according to the latest MTA stats through January.

In documenting tardy trains, the MTA prefers to see how long people have to wait for a train at a station, than whether the train makes the end of its run on time.

But riders over the past year have had to wait for a late train more than a fifth of the time -- below the MTA's goal of 80% of trains making their stops on schedule; 6.4% of them had a "major gap" that took at least twice as long as usual to pick up riders, according to the MTA's figures.Bianco tasked the Department of Subways President Joe Leader to develop in the coming weeks a plan to mitigate problems that arise from overcrowded trains and nasty weather. That plan will aim to tackle issues with managing the subway system, responding to incidents and customer service, Leader said.

"We can do better than where we are today," Bianco said.

MTA board member Ira Greenberg pointed to stats showing that nearly a quarter of trains on the No. 7 line are late to pick up passengers, with 7.6% of the late trains havinghad major gaps in service.

"Passenger experience is quite miserable," he said of the often crowded line.

The No. 7 line has company; riders taking the A and F lines got an on-schedule train roughly 70% of the time in the past 12 months, and about 12% of trains on those lines had major gaps in service. Its performance is on par with the Lexington Avenue 4, 5 and 6 lines, the most congested mass transit lines in the nation. Meanwhile, the subway fleet is showing signs of wear and tear -- the average distance trains travel until a malfunction was 3.25% less, down to 143,150 miles, in the 12-month period ending in January than the year before.

Subway officials stressed the importance of getting its $32 billion program to fix up and maintain the transit system fully funded. That program mostly covers the cost of keeping subways and buses in good working order with new equipment, signals and train cars.

The subway system has been buckling under the stress of daily ridership that regularly exceeds six million trips and a particularly nasty winter that caused more problems than usual, including icing on the third rail that paralyzed the No. 7 line in February and 19 nights this year where trains had to be stored on underground tracks away from the bitter cold.

"While these aren't excuses, these are challenges," Leader said.

Source: http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-officials-say-subways-can-be-better-1.10108658

----

Did we just start having cold weather in 2015?  <_< The (MTA) has been pushing people to use the subway with their cuts to bus service, and then they turn around and act shocked as if the increase in ridership came out of the blue.  Ridership has been steadily increasing on the subway, and the (MTA) has been slow to deal with the problem.  I'm interested in understanding what "short term" plans they will be implementing to address the overcrowding issues and constant delays.  Taking the subway in Manhattan has become an obstacle course, so I can't imagine what it is like for those in the outerboroughs who use the subway.  What should be maybe a 20 minute trip sometimes can become almost an hour between the long waits and the amount of crawling that occurs once you are on the subway. 

Colder than USUAL. I cannot remember the last time where temperatures regularly hit the negatives. I've never even experienced anything below -5 before. Negative 20 on the other hand, I spent an entire night working in that and I have to say, not even SEVEN layers were enough.

Besides, you take the express bus. It seems like you only pose here to complain.

Colder than USUAL. I cannot remember the last time where temperatures regularly hit the negatives. I've never even experienced anything below -5 before. Negative 20 on the other hand, I spent an entire night working in that and I have to say, not even SEVEN layers were enough.

Besides, you take the express bus. It seems like you only pose here to complain.

I use the subway from time to time as well within Manhattan.  I had a presentation to run for the City of New York last night and Thursday night.  Yesterday I grabbed a cab because I did not want to deal with what occurred on Thursday.  Even though it was almost rush hour, I was able to get a cab in less than 5 minutes.  I was whisked down to the Union Square area and with a tip, paid about $13.00. 

Thursday I took the subway from my office and it took God knows how long just to go one stop from Grand Central to Union Square, with some nut job yelling in the middle of the car about our sins the entire time.  <_<  I was going further south, so I needed to transfer to the (6) at Union Square.  The platform was packed and when a (6) did come, it suddenly wasn't making any stops Southbound north of Brooklyn Bridge, so everyone had to get off of that train and wait for the next one.  This was before the rush, so I can't imagine what rush hour looked like.  This morning I had to stop at a client's office Downtown and took the BxM18 down to the Wall Street area, but used the subway (albeit reluctantly). Of course during my wait both the (4)(5) Northbound were delayed.  This was just around the time that rush hour finishes.  Given how little I use the subway and the short distances that I use them for, it amazes me how often trains are delayed AND how long the commute times are.

I think if (MTA) Board members are admitting that train service is poor then that says something.

When did temps hit negatives this winter?

Yes the passenger experience is quite miserable, they need to plan their track work better.

When you get on the train you just want to get to your destination in a reasonable time frame! Simple request.  You have these delays, and nowadays any delay is the result of "train traffic ahead of us", yeah ok, how is that possible when I just waited 30 mins for a train?

On top of that they do track work on detoured track! You send the (F) to Queens via 53rd street, but you have track work between Between 6th ave and 36th Street?

You have all trains going local on Queens Blvd but the the (E) and (F) have to sit behind a (R) that's being cleared out at 71st Ave? Send it to 179th!

You have (E) and (F) express service sitting in Local stations being bypassed by (M) and (R) trains?

Later in the evening you have a conga line of (M) & (R) trains terminating at 71st, you'll bypass like 4-5 trains between Roosevelt & 71st Ave's

You also have trains being held at 169th street because they're not clearing trains fast enough at 179th street.

During a 6th Ave Fastrack last year you had (D) and (F) trains going up 8th ave, but also doing track work on 53rd street AND Queens Blvd, took about 90 mins to get to Jamaica!

Waiting for an (A) train to Queens and THREE (C) trains came before an (A) showed up.

Yes the passenger experience is quite miserable, they need to plan their track work better.

When you get on the train you just want to get to your destination in a reasonable time frame! Simple request.  You have these delays, and nowadays any delay is the result of "train traffic ahead of us", yeah ok, how is that possible when I just waited 30 mins for a train?

On top of that they do track work on detoured track! You send the (F) to Queens via 53rd street, but you have track work between Between 6th ave and 36th Street?

You have all trains going local on Queens Blvd but the the (E) and (F) have to sit behind a (R) that's being cleared out at 71st Ave? Send it to 179th!

You have (E) and (F) express service sitting in Local stations being bypassed by (M) and (R) trains?

Later in the evening you have a conga line of (M) & (R) trains terminating at 71st, you'll bypass like 4-5 trains between Roosevelt & 71st Ave's

You also have trains being held at 169th street because they're not clearing trains fast enough at 179th street.

During a 6th Ave Fastrack last year you had (D) and (F) trains going up 8th ave, but also doing track work on 53rd street AND Queens Blvd, took about 90 mins to get to Jamaica!

Waiting for an (A) train to Queens and THREE (C) trains came before an (A) showed up.

Is it that hard to do everything right? The (MTA) needs to take responsibilities of this. There is no excuse for this.

When did temps hit negatives this winter?

When? WHEN? Either you do not watch the weather or you're just being a fool. I work in film. We work outside a lot. I need to watch the weather. It hit the negatives quite a lot. It got even lower with the wind chill. The fact that you asked this question to me appalls me. Completely.

I will not entertain that question any further.

On another note, this city HAS SEEN WORSE. Remember that. This is nowhere near what it used to be.

The (A) is horrible during the winter and that is because of the Broad Channel Bridge. The Broad Channel bridge gets stuck in the open position and this happened a few times. I was at the terminal(Mott Av), the train was still at the terminal for 20 minutes, the conductor announced that "the Broad Channel bridge is stuck at the open position"..... blah blah blah. Then a (MTA) employee told people that there was "shuttle buses downstairs", you know what happen after that, I got downstairs and there was no shuttle buses. The station booth agent gave us a block ticket and I had to take the Q22 back to Beach 81st and then transfer to the Q52 LTD and take that all the way to Rockaway Blvd. I can also take the Q113 LTD to Jamaica Center and take the (E) to WTC/Chambers St if I wanted to. One time, I was on the platform waiting for the (A) to arrive(none was at the terminal) and the announcement said "There is a track switch problem at Utica Av". Thats how far the Far Rockaway bound train was at. All of this was weather related during my winter experience. I always say to myself do not take the (A) after a bad snow storm because of the dam bridge getting stuck and I still take it and this is what I get for not trusting my instinct. Now this one is not weather related, I was heading home and when I got to Howard Beach-JFK, the conductor said "This is your conductor speaking, there is a disable train ahead of us, all passengers must get off and wait on the platform". So we did, 5 minutes later, another train came and dropped off all the passengers. The NYPD told us to get on the Manhattan bound train and get off at Rockaway Blvd and take the Q52 LTD or Q53 LTD. There was no shuttle buses at all, the LTD's was full. All the sudden, the (MTA) supervisor said the (A) was back to normal. Everyone had to give back the block ticket and I did not give mine back, I kept it. As I was waiting for my Far Rockaway train to come, all I saw was 3 more Lefferts bound trains coming 5 minutes apart. I lost my patience and went downstairs for the LTD and I still had my block ticket at the time. Overall, when it comes to bad snow storms, I should of  leave 1 hour and a half early and this is why the (MTA) said "add additonal travel time" and I do have 2 other alternatives if the (A) was suspended due to bridge getting stuck.

Well, the thing is that a lot of these problems are unintentional. Wait 'til I put up the videos of (N) trains being held at 59 Street for 5 minutes at a time. They're intentional delays and they happen a lot.

^^^^^^

I agree.

I see dispatchers being an issue and poor communication to train crews being an issue as well.

Several times I have been on an A train (Hoyt and Schermerhorn) where dispatchers are deciding whether or not to send a train local.

This decision process might take 5 minutes or so.

In all that time they were figuring things out, the train could have already made it to Nostrand Avenue! So the train loses time going local ON TOP of the time it idled in the station. So instead of the train being 3 minutes behind, now it's 8-10 minutes behind, and the line is now backed up.

I never understood that....make a decision and make it quickly--this isn't rocket science.

One of my favorite "detour" stories was when this past summer they terminated all (J) trains at Essex street. They also decided that it would be a good idea to run all Manhattan bound F trains via the A line. So if riders wanted to continue into Manhattan by train, they would have had to take a Brooklyn bound train (10-15 minute wait) and transfer at Jay Street Borough Hall!!!

Lovely.

And yes, Queens Blvd needs some serious cleaning up. I cannot understand why the MTA doesn't better utilize 179th street.

Here you have probably the best designed terminal in the system being barely used. I personally would have all local trains terminate there, regardless of public opinion. The F would go express all throughout Queens.

Before I thought differently, but I realized that it's not just about Queens riders--it's about LONG ISLAND riders too, especially N6 riders.

Here you have probably the best designed terminal in the system being barely used. I personally would have all local trains terminate there, regardless of public opinion. The F would go express all throughout Queens.

Many people tried to propose that (including me). It will be overserved.

Now if Archer Av can get that kind of terminal, then that would be great. Unfortunately, nobody can tell the future.

When? WHEN? Either you do not watch the weather or you're just being a fool. I work in film. We work outside a lot. I need to watch the weather. It hit the negatives quite a lot. It got even lower with the wind chill. The fact that you asked this question to me appalls me. Completely.

I will not entertain that question any further.

On another note, this city HAS SEEN WORSE. Remember that. This is nowhere near what it used to be.

You must be talking about Celcius. It did get cold but the lowest I've seen was single digits. I've even driven on one of the extremely cold days and my vehicles thermostat showed 4 degrees. Maybe it was a few of the overnights.

It costs more to have the (F)(M)(R) relay east of 179 St than just the (F) alone. 90% of Hillside passengers are also on their way to 63 St/6 Av anyway.

When all trains run local (or express for that matter) there are tons of delays, they usually wind up paying overtime anyway, so just send the (R) to 179th, or cut the (R) to Queens Plaza. 

As for weekday evenings, is there no way for them to speed up the conga line at 71st ave?

When all trains run local (or express for that matter) there are tons of delays, they usually wind up paying overtime anyway, so just send the (R) to 179th, or cut the (R) to Queens Plaza. 

As for weekday evenings, is there no way for them to speed up the conga line at 71st ave?

No, the (R) does not need to be sent to 179 St for the aforementioned reasons at the other thread.

And no, the (R) can't be cut back to Queens Plaza. Haven't you forgetting about the (E)? You're just spreading the delays to a different location. The relay fifth track is located in the middle between the two QB express tracks. So why?

Lastly, the (R) train is the way it is. There's nothing you can do to "fix" it. Its primary function is to scrape the walls along its entire route, therefore, allowing the (E) and (F) to run express in Queens, and the (N) to also run express over the bridge and through 4th Ave.

Leave the (R) train alone.

No, the (R) does not need to be sent to 179 St for the aforementioned reasons at the other thread.

And no, the (R) can't be cut back to Queens Plaza. Haven't you forgetting about the (E)? You're just spreading the delays to a different location. The relay fifth track is located in the middle between the two QB express tracks. So why?

Lastly, the (R) train is the way it is. There's nothing you can do to "fix" it. Its primary function is to scrape the walls along its entire route, therefore, allowing the (E) and (F) to run express in Queens, and the (N) to also run express over the bridge and through 4th Ave.

Leave the (R) train alone.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.

Are you trying to say that the (E) is frequent enough on weekends when (E) AND (F) go local to get delayed by an (R) turning at Queens Plaza? No, the (R) can be held at Queens Plaza until the Jamaica bound (E) leaves the station and crosses to the local track, the (R) can then cross over to the middle track.

The (R) can then pull in on the Manhattan bound express track, dwell and cross over to the 60th street tube once an (E) leaves the station and crosses to the express track.

Are you trying to say that the (E) is frequent enough on weekends when (E) AND (F) go local to get delayed by an (R) turning at Queens Plaza? No, the (R) can be held at Queens Plaza until the Jamaica bound (E) leaves the station and crosses to the local track, the (R) can then cross over to the middle track.

The (R) can then pull in on the Manhattan bound express track, dwell and cross over to the 60th street tube once an (E) leaves the station and crosses to the express track.

More like a waste for the tower.

Nice try there, but you're making such nonsensical excuses. With all the constant GOs and flagging during weekends, the lines can get affected at times. The (R) will not be cut back, nor run more frequently, just so your ass can be happy. You know as well as I do of why they can't do any of that. This is about making things as easy to comprehend, not to wallyhorse the railroad.

Get over it.

More like a waste for the tower.

Nice try there, but you're making such nonsensical excuses. With all the constant GOs and flagging during weekends, the lines can get affected at times. The (R) will not be cut back, nor run more frequently, just so your ass can be happy. You know as well as I do of why they can't do any of that. This is about making things as easy to comprehend, not to wallyhorse the railroad.

Get over it.

LOL, what in the world? Ok, lets put our logic caps on.

When the (E)(F) AND (R) ALL run local, or ALL run express (Meaning all three lines share the same track) because of G.Os on weekends it causes MAJOR DELAYS. This is on top of the fact that the (R) STILL has to terminate at 71st Ave. This isn't some scheme to play around with the subway. 

LOL, what in the world? Ok, lets put our logic caps on.

When the (E)(F) AND (R) ALL run local, or ALL run express (Meaning all three lines share the same track) because of G.Os on weekends it causes MAJOR DELAYS. This is on top of the fact that the (R) STILL has to terminate at 71st Ave. This isn't some scheme to play around with the subway.

Do yourself a favor and go and complain about the constant weekend GOs to the (MTA), not me. You already came up with something, I simply answered it. If you can't accept my answer, then that's too bad. I have much more important things to do with my life than to waste time debating and arguing with a brick wall.

Though luck, dude.

It seems there are no good options short of extending the (R) to 179th OR having the (R) go to Jamaica Center and have the (E) run to Queens Plaza (since the (E) can relay at Queens Plaza without interfering with the (R) in the track setup) in this scenario.  Those seem to be the only options other than what the (MTA) currently does in this scenario.

Archived