Latest News on (7) Line Extension

Testing on incline elevators and fire and security systems is still continuing and will hopefully be finished by June. The station will hopefully open by end of June/July.

Here's the President of NYCT talking about it: (starts 53 minutes in) https://youtu.be/ZVLGfxXqw9k?t=53m

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/150323_1345_CPOC.pdf Here's the report (Starts on page 8)

The station itself is pretty much complete. Here's a bunch of photos: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/2015%20March%20Transit%20Committee%20Presentation_7%20line%20extension%20update.pdf

The yellow box in the second photo shows the lot that a developer is starting to work on right above the station, apparently it's causing problems with work on the station. 

At least it's build. At least some part of SAS has been built. It's a start. People seem to forget that when they complain. We are getting tangible results, but like everything else, it needs time.

But not everyone is as patient as me. Also, not everyone knows how much work gets put into a project and factors affecting it's successes and/or failures.

We’re also forgetting the fact that it could have not been built like how the Second Avenue Subway has not been built for over 8 decades.

Would that really have been a bad thing? Hudson Yards turned out to be a financial dud for the city tax-wise, and the one actually useful stop got cut out completely. At least then the City could've dumped that money into SAS or something.

Would that really have been a bad thing? Hudson Yards turned out to be a financial dud for the city tax-wise, and the one actually useful stop got cut out completely. At least then the City could've dumped that money into SAS or something.

Yeah, except for the fact that the worst recession in 80 years likely would have made for a lot of other problems if the Jets had been able to build the domed stadium they had wanted to there (that was blocked in large part because Cablevision, parent of MSG was afraid such a building would take away concert business), as both the Jets and Giants would likely have been struggling with paying back for their individual stadiums as opposed to the one that was built in The Meadowlands they co-own (there are some Jets fans who in fact still consider James Dolan Public Enemy #1 over that because they wanted the Jets to be actually playing in NYC).  

That recession likely is also why the 10th Avenue station was cut out in a very shortsighted move.

Yeah, except for the fact that the worst recession in 80 years likely would have made for a lot of other problems if the Jets had been able to build the domed stadium they had wanted to there (that was blocked in large part because Cablevision, parent of MSG was afraid such a building would take away concert business), as both the Jets and Giants would likely have been struggling with paying back for their individual stadiums as opposed to the one that was built in The Meadowlands they co-own (there are some Jets fans who in fact still consider James Dolan Public Enemy #1 over that because they wanted the Jets to be actually playing in NYC).  

That recession likely is also why the 10th Avenue station was cut out in a very shortsighted move.

Okay, but what does any of that have to do with the fact that not having the 7 Line Extension at all probably wouldn't have been overly crappy?

Not paranoid, just my view on this.

I'm still not sure what the connection between "losing the (7) extension would be no big deal" and "the West Side stadium proposal would've failed" is, but maybe I'm just not great at reading comprehension...

your talking to the guy who thinks the Wall Street trading firms want to sue the MTA for closing the subway during the blizzard...

making sense to the rest of us is not exactly his forte...

Maybe that's because I've seen too many instances in my lifetime where things don't happen BECAUSE they actually make sense for this time and place and the people in charge, who are often older and either don't think or are trying to protect their fiefdom(s) won't implement such (Horse Racing has seen this quite a few times).

And as far as Wall Street, there are other ways they can get back at Cuomo for the snowstorm shutdown that may have hurt him more than he realizes politically.

Nope, we're not having this discussion again.

Steering this back to a point regarding the Hudson Yards extension, yeah, it was intended to be part of the '05 Olympic bid, which included a West Side stadium. When that failed, it was then pitched as a development bid for the Hudson Yards project, which is still getting off the ground. The thing is, this really should not have been such a high priority item and only is one because Bloomberg made it happen. Those funds could have easily went somewhere useful, like fixing the capacity constraints at a few of the terminals for instance. Right now, this is such an unnecessary project, especially since they bailed on the stop that would've actually been useful at 10th Ave.

Maybe that's because I've seen too many instances in my lifetime where things don't happen BECAUSE they actually make sense for this time and place and the people in charge, who are often older and either don't think or are trying to protect their fiefdom(s) won't implement such (Horse Racing has seen this quite a few times).

And as far as Wall Street, there are other ways they can get back at Cuomo for the snowstorm shutdown that may have hurt him more than he realizes politically.

I'm sure you've seen a lot of things. But could you see why X, Y, and Z was done? (Sorry for sounding like a Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercial.)

A lot of changes in service, for example, happened to reduce confusion and consolidate different services under a smaller number of designations, as well as to reduce the large number of terminals that each service used to serve. The (B), for example, had about 3 different northern terminals decades ago: 168 Street, 145 Street, and 21 Street–Queensbridge. A lot of things you propose (whether temporary reroutes or long-term service patterns) are counter to that wisdom you supposedly have. And I'm not sure how much this kind of thinking extends to other things you speak of.

Nope, we're not having this discussion again.

Steering this back to a point regarding the Hudson Yards extension, yeah, it was intended to be part of the '05 Olympic bid, which included a West Side stadium. When that failed, it was then pitched as a development bid for the Hudson Yards project, which is still getting off the ground. The thing is, this really should not have been such a high priority item and only is one because Bloomberg made it happen. Those funds could have easily went somewhere useful, like fixing the capacity constraints at a few of the terminals for instance. Right now, this is such an unnecessary project, especially since they bailed on the stop that would've actually been useful at 10th Ave.

Although, there *might* be an unintended source of ridership at 34th Street with those Megabus and Boltbus stops a block over...

The only flaw with that would be if they move those buses away in the event there's any more construction than what's going on already. It's already quite the PITA getting to that area by foot.

Archived