Audit finds 30% of Express Buses Miss Schedule

QM1to6Ave

This past week, I actually saw supervisors checking up on some of the off-peak QM5/6's that are chronically late and people have complained about. The (MTA) may be taking this more seriously now. 

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2015/04/8566603/30-percent-express-buses-miss-schedule-stringer-reports

Nearly one in three M.T.A. express buses fail to leave stops at their scheduled times, according to an audit released today by city Comptroller Scott Stringer.

The audit, which examined 12 express bus routes from Oct. 2013 to Dec. 2013, found that buses were either too late or too early over 30 percent of the time, resulting in commuter wait times between six and 28 minutes. The audit also revealed insufficient inspection practices for wheelchair lifts on the observed bus lines.

“When one out of every three buses is not on time, it impacts every borough and hits at our city’s economic competitiveness,” Stringer said in a statement.

Staten Island’s X1 and X17 buses were the least reliable of the audited lines, running too late or too early approximately 35.9 percent of the time. Brooklyn’s BM1, X27, and X28 buses missed schedule 33.7 percent of the time, while express routes in Queens and the Bronx missed schedule 32.1 and 20.3 percent of the time, respectively. The majority of these delays occurred during the afternoon rush hour, although Queens saw its largest spike in delays during the morning rush.

Reports of delayed buses make up nearly 40 percent of the M.T.A.’s express bus service complaints, Stringer said.

Express buses also lacked adequate practices for inspecting wheelchair lifts, according to the audit. The M.T.A. requires weekly inspection of wheelchair lifts, but does not have a standardized inspection procedure, resulting in inconsistent practices across bus depots.

The audit only examined 12 of the city’s more than 60 bus routes during a three-month span in 2013. Still, Stringer said the numbers are applicable to current bus patterns.

“I believe the data is as relevant today as it was when we were conducting the audit,” Stringer said in a press conference.

In response to the audit, Stringer’s office advised the M.T.A. to create more reliable bus schedules, create on-time performance standards, and update its policies for wheelchair lift inspection.

M.T.A. spokesperson Adam Lisberg said the agency would comply with Stringer’s recommendation to update wheelchair lift procedures. But Lisberg disputed Stringer’s claim that on-time performance standards would reduce bus delays, stating that the best way to reduce wait time would be to run buses at consistent intervals, rather than to enforce scheduled departure times.

“Our goal with ALL of our buses is to achieve faster travel times, more evenly spaced arrivals, and overall better service for our customers. Buses are scheduled in accordance with MTA Board approved loading guidelines that are based primarily on customer demand. We conduct regular ridership reviews of bus routes to ensure that they operate within guidelines. While we use On-Time Performance (OTP) data internally to assist us in benchmarking our service management and schedule making, OTP is NOT the best measure of the customer experience so we focus more on the evenness of service, or wait assessment. In other words, how long a customer waits for a bus. Wait assessment is what we will continue to focus on, not OTP, because customers generally arrive at their boarding locations at a continuous rate and their primary concern is that we have even service, not if specific buses are meeting their scheduled times. In addition, there are other extraneous factors such as traffic and road conditions that we unfortunately have no control over,” Lisberg wrote in a statement.

Lisberg also pointed to a recent M.T.A. push to inform riders of bus schedules in real time, using mobile devices to tell riders when buses will arrive.

“We also completed a system-wide roll-out of MTA Bus Time in April 2014, which customers now use to get real-time information on every bus and every route on their cell phone, tablet, or computer and save time by going to the stop when they know that a bus is approaching. AND as part of our efforts to actively provide more automated bus information, the MTA has launched a number of initiatives including providing next bus information on our ‘On the Go’ kiosks, NYC Wayfinding machines, intermodal solar powered signs, and is currently working with NYCDOT to install LED/LCD signs providing bus real time information at bus stops,” he wrote.

The (MTA) needs to do more to improve the timeliness of our express buses.  Service has deteriorated substantially and this is one of the reasons why ridership has declined on numerous express buses throughout the city.  The (MTA) is charging $6.50 per ride and there needs to be more done to ensure that drivers are adhering to the schedules, which is a BIG problem.

We can't have drivers doing their own thing, which is happening too often. Too many guys leaving late on purpose to milk overtime or leaving early because they want to get home early. It's ridiculous.  These guys are getting paid good damn money to drive a bus. There are also some depots like College Point that are ATROCIOUS.  Passengers (myself included) have almost been bypassed on a number of occasions on the QM2, QM1, QM5 and QM6 lines, and when you have buses that run on hourly schedules, it is unacceptable to have buses bypassing passengers.  I want to see more undercover inspections done to ensure that these drivers are adhering to schedules, and also not discriminating against anyone, particularly young people like myself.  I have filed numerous complaints both via the (MTA) website and to higher ups to address these issues and will continue to do so until these problems are remedied.  I encourage my fellow express bus riders to do the same. 

Not surprised, Im pretty the reason express bus service in my area has gone done is because of the shit shows going on everyday (specifically BM5) The Midday buses always run late, but even more as of recently. The problem is not that the buses arent given enough timw, the problem is the time it leaves the terminal (which can be up to 50 minutes late at times). I track the 11:40 AM to Brooklyn (first bus to Brooklyn), and often times than not, it comes 20, 30, and 50 minutes late. Unacceptable, especially if its a regular DH trip from SC (I dont know that, but if thats the case). Its never happened before, but now all of a sudden, buses run late. Somethings odd. At this point though, I've managed to adjust to the actual runtimes (well an average based on my observances). I know a schedule is not guranteed 100%, but theres a difference between that, and buses constantly not arriving on time.

The same thing on Union Tpke, the buses are given too little time during the rush. These schedules need to be replaced with more efficient ones, especially the QM5. I always see those buses running late a lot. I dont understand why the MTA gives the same runtime throughout the day with many of these routes. Only as of recently is the MTA adjusting runtime as needed, but not on all lines.

Not surprised, Im pretty the reason express bus service in my area has gone done is because of the shit shows going on everyday (specifically BM5) The Midday buses always run late, but even more as of recently. The problem is not that the buses arent given enough timw, the problem is the time it leaves the terminal (which can be up to 50 minutes late at times). I track the 11:40 AM to Brooklyn (first bus to Brooklyn), and often times than not, it comes 20, 30, and 50 minutes late. Unacceptable, especially if its a regular DH trip from SC (I dont know that, but if thats the case).

The same thing on Union Tpke, the buses are given too little time during the rush. These schedules need to be replaced with more efficient ones, especially the QM5. I always see those buses running late a lot. I dont understand why the MTA gives the same runtime throughout the day with many of these routes. Only as of recently is the MTA adjusting runtime as needed, but not on all lines.

Part of the schedule issue could be an attempt to keep a can on expenses. The Queens express buses in particular have long run times.  When BusTime first came out, there was instances in which drivers were held at stops to ensure that they weren't running hot. I haven't seen that happen in some time, and I think it needs to be implemented again. If the union doesn't like it tough sh*t.  Too many guys out here doing their own thing.  If they were adhering to the schedule, this wouldn't be an issue to begin with, but you have guys that like to play games, and then hide behind the union when the heat is turned up on them.

I can't say QM4 riders have flocked to the Q64 because the Q64 lost a few riders and the QM4 gained in 2014. More people need to complain about the various local/Limited routes that have poor on time performance and so on. Some people on here used to point fingers to LGA when it came to routes that didn't show up. Believe it or not that depot actually performed better than most MTA depots including ENY. ENY is infamous for having buses that do not even show up. The B12 is constantly late the Q24's and Q56's don't show up at times and the B83 has its ups and downs.

Express routes have it bad as well because many drivers don't think people are going to care. The QM5 had skipped a stop on Union Turnpike on a Saturday and there were at least four people who wanted it but had to take the Q46 because they didn't want to wait 30 minutes for the QM5.

I wish more people were vocal about bus routes instead of always being the ones who complain. Always see people waiting on the Q25 saying how they are fed up but why not complain to the MTA.

I'll tell you one thing, lowering the speed limit to 25 MPH does not exactly help.  What a freaking mess...

While this is true, some drivers simply don't make an effort.  It's preposterous to have drivers sitting at green lights when they've already done the pick-up segment of the route.  Some of these guys don't have a friggin' clue.  Once you've done the pick-up portion, you keep it moving and get to the destination that the passengers need.  Some of these newbies are so dumb that they literally follow the schedule during the drop-off segment as well, which is insane.  

The other thing that irks me with (MTA) Bus in particular is their double standards with safety.  When I lived on Staten Island and used NYCT express buses, you had drivers that had no problem dropping you off on the corner as long as it was safe to do so, but with (MTA) Bus express buses, they insist upon waiting and dropping off at the exact damn stop, even if that means sitting at 3 - 4 lights to do so.  It's like what is up with that?  On the same token, if safety is such a concern, you wouldn't have guys making pick-up stops practically in the middle of the damn street. Really insane.  There needs to be some fluctuation from management with (MTA) Bus express buses to allow drivers more flexibility to stay on schedule, but there also needs to be common sense changes made by some drivers.  If you see there is traffic going one way and you have another option, don't sit there for 30 damn minutes.  Use the other option!  

While this is true, some drivers simply don't make an effort. It's preposterous to have drivers sitting at green lights when they've already done the pick-up segment of the route. Some of these guys don't have a friggin' clue. Once you've done the pick-up portion, you keep it moving and get to the destination that the passengers need. Some of these newbies are so dumb that they literally follow the schedule during the drop-off segment as well, which is insane.

The other thing that irks me with (MTA) Bus in particular is their double standards with safety. When I lived on Staten Island and used NYCT express buses, you had drivers that had no problem dropping you off on the corner as long as it was safe to do so, but with (MTA) Bus express buses, they insist upon waiting and dropping off at the exact damn stop, even if that means sitting at 3 - 4 lights to do so. It's like what is up with that? On the same token, if safety is such a concern, you wouldn't have guys making pick-up stops practically in the middle of the damn street. Really insane. There needs to be some fluctuation from management with (MTA) Bus express buses to allow drivers more flexibility to stay on schedule, but there also needs to be common sense changes made by some drivers. If you see there is traffic going one way and you have another option, don't sit there for 30 damn minutes. Use the other option!

If lowering the speed is an issue, couldn't (MTA) adjust schedules accordingly?

I don't really know much about any express buses out side the Bronx (BxM7/8), but I see them as an alternative, not a real way to get around. I live in Co-op city so if the 5/6 are heavily delayed I'll turn to the express. More times than not, and I've been taking them a lot lately, I never have to worry about missing a BxM7. They run more frequent than schedule and usually come 2 or 3 at a time. They rarely leave people at stops and if anything, they tend to push yellow lights and ride the far left lane until they have to get to a stop. Maybe the routes on the more troubled lines just need a reroute or something of the sort, Or do the opposite of the BxM7/7A and combine some routes. idk

I don't really know much about any express buses out side the Bronx (BxM7/8), but I see them as an alternative, not a real way to get around. I live in Co-op city so if the 5/6 are heavily delayed I'll turn to the express. More times than not, and I've been taking them a lot lately, I never have to worry about missing a BxM7. They run more frequent than schedule and usually come 2 or 3 at a time. They rarely leave people at stops and if anything, they tend to push yellow lights and ride the far left lane until they have to get to a stop. Maybe the routes on the more troubled lines just need a reroute or something of the sort, Or do the opposite of the BxM7/7A and combine some routes. idk

The issue is that for a good chunk of riders, the express bus is the way to get to and from work on time every weekday. And for people in areas without subway connections, it is the only real way to get to and from the city for weekend outings, etc. 

If lowering the speed is an issue, couldn't (MTA) adjust schedules accordingly?

They can but the impression I get from the (MTA) is that they manage some express bus lines better than others.  The ones that they want to do well, they monitor closely.  Take the X21 service.  I'm sure the (MTA) would love that service to do well, this way they can lower run times and not have to provide tons and tons of X1 service, which makes FAR more stops and is a really long line from end to end, thus being more expensive.  They seem to like having run times of about or around an hour, and for buses that are longer than that (i.e. 90 minutes), they tend to be quite stingy with service.  I suspect that's part of the reason why a lot of the Queens express buses don't run longer and have less frequent service, even ones that do well like the QM2 and QM5.

On Friday, when I took QM5, the dispatcher at 36th was going nuts calling all the buses over the radio to keep them on time. I've never seen them do that before. The B/O and I were cracking up from all the frantic radio calls

That's good.  Management has been far too lax at CP for far too long. 

They can but the impression I get from the (MTA) is that they manage some express bus lines better than others.  The ones that they want to do well, they monitor closely.  Take the X21 service.  I'm sure the (MTA) would love that service to do well, this way they can lower run times and not have to provide tons and tons of X1 service, which makes FAR more stops and is a really long line from end to end, thus being more expensive.  They seem to like having run times of about or around an hour, and for buses that are longer than that (i.e. 90 minutes), they tend to be quite stingy with service.  I suspect that's part of the reason why a lot of the Queens express buses don't run longer and have less frequent service, even ones that do well like the QM2 and QM5.

That's good.  Management has been far too lax at CP for far too long. 

Shit didn't go through, so I'm retyping what I had said.

To keep it short, the QM2 doesn't have the same levels as the BxM11 does (Highest ridership QM and lowest ridership BxM with 30 minute headway). You'll have to wait until the QM2 reaches those levels or higher.

Queens needs a slight overhaul of it's express bus network though. Too many duplicative service (one of few exceptions would be the QM5/6, since they each get good loads). The schedules need to be revised (and re-revised in some cases).

NYCT though is more stiffy to add express service

With the X21, it can take riders off the X5 and X7, as well as the X17J, and X31. More service is added in the AM, making it more attractive, the more attractive it can get, the more it gains riders, there's less riders on the 4 aforementioned lines, and they can slash service because they are pretty frequent (well, the 31 not so much). It's nice and all that the X21 is getting an increase, but in the long run, I'm pretty sure the service would somehow be brought back to pre-X21 levels, with the X5/7/17J seeing some sort of decrease in service, which would be similar to the amount of X21 service that there is. PM service has not seen an increase yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be one soon. But yeah, the MTA would love to cut down on runtime as much as possible, as soon as possible.

Shit didn't go through, so I'm retyping what I had said.

To keep it short, the QM2 doesn't have the same levels as the BxM11 does (Highest ridership QM and lowest ridership BxM with 30 minute headway). You'll have to wait until the QM2 reaches those levels or higher.

Queens needs a slight overhaul of it's express bus network though. Too many duplicative service (one of few exceptions would be the QM5/6, since they each get good loads). The schedules need to be revised (and re-revised in some cases).

NYCT though is more stiffy to add express service

With the X21, it can take riders off the X5 and X7, as well as the X17J, and X31. More service is added in the AM, making it more attractive, the more attractive it can get, the more it gains riders, there's less riders on the 4 aforementioned lines, and they can slash service because they are pretty frequent (well, the 31 not so much). 

The QM2 could have 30 minute headways longer going back to Whitestone during the week.  It irks me that it's hourly service from 21:00 on.  I have been on some of those QM2 buses and they can get quite crowded.

The QM2 could have 30 minute headways longer going back to Whitestone during the week.  It irks me that it's hourly service from 21:00 on.  I have been on some of those QM2 buses and they can get quite crowded.

While I would welcome any increase on that route, it has to warrant it. Irking and warranting are two different things. It irks me that my walk to the express is considerably longer on weekends, and has such crappy span, but I deal with it. The thing is, Bay Terrance and FLushing has the QM20 as well, and ridership from between those two areas aren't enough to warrant a second QM2 bus either (look at how the QM2/20 are scheduled in both directions from 7 PM until 12 AM). 

The QM15 has a similar problem you're stating, after 7:15 PM, the headway is hourly, but that 8:15 sometimes has no seats left by 57 street (and MTA Bus doesn't have/ doesn't want resources to operate a more frequent schedule. In the extreme cases, you are SOL if you're not going to any of the BM5 stops (63 Drive, Metro, Forest Park, or Piktin), because you're gonna have to stand on that trip (the BM5 departs 10 minutes later; that trips gets a load too, but your chances of getting a seat are much higher. Ridership though on that trip can fluctuate at times too, but it's used really good the majority of the time. I feel that that route, as well as the QM24 are just shitted on, but they have potential (each for different reasons, the 15 riders have that money, along with the QM24, but I could see riders using it on weekends, because of the hot mess on the QBL, the (L), and the (M) (although that's not as frequent). There's many similar routes like this in the other boroughs that have potential, it's just that the MTA doesn't want to deal with the burden of added costs. Those are just a few examples. Those schedules are very tight in time too, the QM5 and the QM6 being offendors in being late during the day for a good portion of the time, then there's routes like the QM15 that just bunch like no tomorrow, as well as the 16/17. 

While I would welcome any increase on that route, it has to warrant it. Irking and warranting are two different things. It irks me that my walk to the express is considerably longer on weekends, and has such crappy span, but I deal with it. The thing is, Bay Terrance and FLushing has the QM20 as well, and ridership from between those two areas aren't enough to warrant a second QM2 bus either (look at how the QM2/20 are scheduled in both directions from 7 PM until 12 AM). 

The QM15 has a similar problem you're stating, after 7:15 PM, the headway is hourly, but that 8:15 sometimes has no seats left by 57 street (and MTA Bus doesn't have/ doesn't want resources to operate a more frequent schedule. In the extreme cases, you are SOL if you're not going to any of the BM5 stops (63 Drive, Metro, Forest Park, or Piktin), because you're gonna have to stand on that trip (the BM5 departs 10 minutes later; that trips gets a load too, but your chances of getting a seat are much higher. Ridership though on that trip can fluctuate at times too, but it's used really good the majority of the time. I feel that that route, as well as the QM24 are just shitted on, but they have potential (each for different reasons, the 15 riders have that money, along with the QM24, but I could see riders using it on weekends, because of the hot mess on the QBL, the (L), and the (M) (although that's not as frequent). There's many similar routes like this in the other boroughs that have potential, it's just that the MTA doesn't want to deal with the burden of added costs. Those are just a few examples. Those schedules are very tight in time too, the QM5 and the QM6 being offendors in being late during the day for a good portion of the time, then there's routes like the QM15 that just bunch like no tomorrow, as well as the 16/17. 

Yeah but the areas served outside of Bay Terrace only have hourly service, and those areas would benefit from 30 minute headways past 21:00. If anything, you could add one bus at 21:30.  That wouldn't break the bank.  The QM2 and QM20 serve very different areas and just happen to end very close to each other in Bay Terrace.  It's not like you're going to have QM2 and QM20 riders interchanging the way BxM1 BxM2 and BxM18 riders do in Riverdale.  That's not to say that they don't but both lines can only serve a select group of people in select areas.

I wonder in that audit was there express buses making stops that are not listed

That's another thing that's becoming annoying...  If someone "didn't know where they were going" no commuter train would stop for them and hold up the entire dam train, so why should an express bus do it?  I've seen people ask to get off at 125th when the first stop was 96th street. If they don't know what the stops are that's their problem.  Don't hold up the entire bus with that nonsense.  What irks me is that they would not do that for everyone, just select people, and what I mean is if it's a female they'll usually do it, but if it's a male they usually wouldn't do it, so don't make acceptions to the rule because then it's just sexist.  I never ask to be let off at a specific stop unless there is no one on the bus and the B/O offers me or it's late at night and I can request a stop.

That's another thing that's becoming annoying...  If someone "didn't know where they were going" no commuter train would stop for them and hold up the entire damn train, so why should an express bus do it?  I've seen people ask to get off at 125th when the first stop was 96th street. If they don't know what the stops are that's their problem.  Don't hold up the entire bus with that nonsense.  What irks me is that they would not do that for everyone, just select people, and what I mean is if it's a female they'll usually do it, but if it's a male they usually wouldn't do it, so don't make exceptions to the rule because then it's just sexist.  I never ask to be let off at a specific stop unless there is no one on the bus and the B/O offers me or it's late at night and I can request a stop.

That's what I noticed when I rode the QM21 and the X63 in the morning. On the X63, the first stop in Manhattan is supposed to be 37 St and 3 Av. The B/O let some females off at 37 St and 2 Av. (I assume for the M15) On the QM21, the first stop in Manhattan is supposed to be 23 St and Park Av. The B/O for that bus stopped at 34 and 28 along 2 Av. (I saw a male passenger get off at 28, presumably for Bellevue)

That's what I noticed when I rode the QM21 and the X63 in the morning. On the X63, the first stop in Manhattan is supposed to be 37 St and 3 Av. The B/O let some females off at 37 St and 2 Av. (I assume for the M15) On the QM21, the first stop in Manhattan is supposed to be 23 St and Park Av. The B/O for that bus stopped at 34 and 28 along 2 Av. (I saw a male passenger get off at 28, presumably for Bellevue)

I think some of the young guys try to be extra courteous.  I've had some of the newbies offer and if there are people on the bus I don't accept the offer because I think it's impolite to do so and inconvenience others, but if it's just me on the bus I'll accept. I have several B/O's that I'm cool with, but I never take advantage because I don't want to cause them any problems. 

I think some of the young guys try to be extra courteous.  I've had some of the newbies offer and if there are people on the bus I don't accept the offer because I think it's impolite to do so and inconvenience others, but if it's just me on the bus I'll accept. I have several B/O's that I'm cool with, but I never take advantage because I don't want to cause them any problems. 

I'll admit, I am guilty of that. Especially when I take the BxM8. I'll ask to be let off at Jarvis and the Bruckner Blvd on the north side so the q50 connection is easier. The stops on that segment are spaced weirdly, like they tried really hard to give the BxM8 its own block to stop on.

I'll admit, I am guilty of that. Especially when I take the BxM8. I'll ask to be let off at Jarvis and the Bruckner Blvd on the north side so the q50 connection is easier. The stops on that segment are spaced weirdly, like they tried really hard to give the BxM8 its own block to stop on.

I have never used the BxM8 but it seems as if the stops are placed quite far apart and there is some hilly terrain. I was talking with a guy who uses the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 with me and lives close to me about how we alternate stops to deal with the hilly topography in Riverdale.  I have only used the BxM4, BxM10 and BxM11 in the Bronx, but just about all of those routes go through very hill terrain.  The BxM10 and BxM11 much less so save areas around Pelham Parkway and Pelham Gardens, but both areas have terrible subway service, so the express bus is much quicker.

While this is true, some drivers simply don't make an effort.  It's preposterous to have drivers sitting at green lights when they've already done the pick-up segment of the route.  Some of these guys don't have a friggin' clue.  Once you've done the pick-up portion, you keep it moving and get to the destination that the passengers need.  Some of these newbies are so dumb that they literally follow the schedule during the drop-off segment as well, which is insane.  

The other thing that irks me with (MTA) Bus in particular is their double standards with safety.  When I lived on Staten Island and used NYCT express buses, you had drivers that had no problem dropping you off on the corner as long as it was safe to do so, but with (MTA) Bus express buses, they insist upon waiting and dropping off at the exact damn stop, even if that means sitting at 3 - 4 lights to do so.  It's like what is up with that?  On the same token, if safety is such a concern, you wouldn't have guys making pick-up stops practically in the middle of the damn street. Really insane.  There needs to be some fluctuation from management with (MTA) Bus express buses to allow drivers more flexibility to stay on schedule, but there also needs to be common sense changes made by some drivers.  If you see there is traffic going one way and you have another option, don't sit there for 30 damn minutes.  Use the other option!  

I'm an operator in SI and I want to start off by saying that it's not that they don't have a clue. When we come thru the door we are trained on the local buses and it's drilled into each operator the way to operate on the local side it's ingrained in each and every one of us. What no one ever tells you in training which every express and manhattan operator will agree is that what they teach us goes out the window when operating in manhattan. They ingrain the whole stick to the schedule, only pick up and alight in stops, keep your 4 feet don't ever allow anyone on your right, etc. Express training then only occurs if you go to a depot that has express buses and SI training is broken.

The whole only letting you off when in a stop is due to drivers being considerate to passengers and it unfortunately burning them. I was riding with a co worker into NY and the exact same thing occurred traffic was a parking lot the bus stop was on far side of intersection he let the riders off there was no room on the right for any car as patrons are getting off a cyclist comes up the door side and wipes out someone. He goes thru the usual call dispatcher etc, supervision wants to blame him for endangering riders by letting them off in an area thats not a stop and it wasn't after 10 pm. This operator gets in trouble tells others his story and then you have others reluctant to let you off in the same situation for something we can all agree is mundane or its a probie still ingrained with what zerega taught them. More often than not the operator falls into on of those categories.

Heres the thing about bus schedules few ppl tend to look at it from this perspective. To increase the running time for buses they then have to pay the operator more as well and the MTA like almost any other company doesn't want to pay their workers anymore than they have to do a position. As such passengers suffer they then complain the bus is late but what they don't know is during off-peak hours the X10 is given 9 minutes to get from Park Ave and 23rd to Broadway and Worth St. I assure you operators are just as vocal as any other about insufficient times out there. 

As for safety its up to each individual driver to adhere to the guidelines NY and MTA have in place for our position. Saying that I personally have operators in 3 groups. The renegades, they are as they sound those are the ones that get u where you need to go in the time you wanted but your a lil worst for wear, you feel like those dogs in the back of truck from dumb n dumber, they'll let you in a safe location even if it's not a bus stop but they'll also pass you up if your not at your most attentive even if you were at the stop everyone has rode those types at some point. Then there are the professional operators that prioritize your safety above all else, and then probies.

Also plz elaborate on the options part, if you mean break route it's a no no unless cops force us off or supervision gives the go ahead nothing we can do about that 

I'm an operator in SI and I want to start off by saying that it's not that they don't have a clue. When we come thru the door we are trained on the local buses and it's drilled into each operator the way to operate on the local side it's ingrained in each and every one of us. What no one ever tells you in training which every express and manhattan operator will agree is that what they teach us goes out the window when operating in manhattan. They ingrain the whole stick to the schedule, only pick up and alight in stops, keep your 4 feet don't ever allow anyone on your right, etc. Express training then only occurs if you go to a depot that has express buses and SI training is broken.

The whole only letting you off when in a stop is due to drivers being considerate to passengers and it unfortunately burning them. I was riding with a co worker into NY and the exact same thing occurred traffic was a parking lot the bus stop was on far side of intersection he let the riders off there was no room on the right for any car as patrons are getting off a cyclist comes up the door side and wipes out someone. He goes thru the usual call dispatcher etc, supervision wants to blame him for endangering riders by letting them off in an area thats not a stop and it wasn't after 10 pm. This operator gets in trouble tells others his story and then you have others reluctant to let you off in the same situation for something we can all agree is mundane or its a probie still ingrained with what zerega taught them. More often than not the operator falls into on of those categories.

Heres the thing about bus schedules few ppl tend to look at it from this perspective. To increase the running time for buses they then have to pay the operator more as well and the MTA like almost any other company doesn't want to pay their workers anymore than they have to do a position. As such passengers suffer they then complain the bus is late but what they don't know is during off-peak hours the X10 is given 9 minutes to get from Park Ave and 23rd to Broadway and Worth St. I assure you operators are just as vocal as any other about insufficient times out there. 

As for safety its up to each individual driver to adhere to the guidelines NY and MTA have in place for our position. Saying that I personally have operators in 3 groups. The renegades, they are as they sound those are the ones that get u where you need to go in the time you wanted but your a lil worst for wear, you feel like those dogs in the back of truck from dumb n dumber, they'll let you in a safe location even if it's not a bus stop but they'll also pass you up if your not at your most attentive even if you were at the stop everyone has rode those types at some point. Then there are the professional operators that prioritize your safety above all else, and then probies.

Also plz elaborate on the options part, if you mean break route it's a no no unless cops force us off or supervision gives the go ahead nothing we can do about that 

SI express buses are quite different from say Yonkers express buses.  You're not allowed to go off of the route, even the part that isn't pick-up or drop-off unless you're given permission to do so.  Believe me I lived on Staten Island for quite a while after moving from South Brooklyn, and used the express buses there for a good 6+ years before moving to Riverdale, so I've used most of the SI express buses and do so when I come back to Staten Island.  Meanwhile Yonkers express buses are allowed to use alternate routes so as to avoid traffic.  As for not having a clue, well you're right, you guys do start off on the local routes.  What I don't get is how you aren't given the ropes about how express buses operate in terms of keeping it moving.  No need to sit at lights and kill time once you've done the pick-up portion.  I've had quite a few newbies follow the schedule after they've done the pick-up segment, which is ridiculous.  These kinds of things are KILLING ridership on all express bus lines, even the ones that saw increases because even those with increases probably would have more ridership if these sorts of things weren't happening.  It seems as if there isn't a bus line that hasn't had issues with B/O's skipping stops or trying to milk overtime or playing games.  Today on my way to the BxM2, I got a rookie driver on the M1 that just amazed me.

Two elderly women with walkers needed to get on and they had to ask him to use the lift so they could get on.  After that, he proceeded to practically close the door on passengers at just about every stop.  When I got off, he closed the door on my arm and laptop bag.  I said to myself is this guy so poorly trained that he doesn't know how to check his mirrors to see when passengers have fully exited the bus?  Really unbelievable.  The sorts of things that I see on both local buses and express buses these days is just ridiculous.  There are some really good young guys coming up, but also a TON of horrible operators that just can't cut it.  I know these guys are trained, but they just seem to lack common sense.  The guy that closed the door on my arm, he looked like he just was a mess all around.  The scary thing is it wasn't intentional.  It just seems like he can't multi-task.

As for the time points, I don't blame the (MTA) for not wanting to elongate run times.  I don't think that's necessary in most cases. The issue is these new guys coming out can't cut it. The run times haven't changed for years in some cases and they shouldn't.  For example off-peak, I find it inexcusable for buses to be running 20 - 30 minutes late, but of late this has been the norm on many express buses that I've taken, and this is after 22:00 when traffic is generally a lot better during the week.  Some of these buses leave the terminal 15+ minutes late and never get back on time, so if the bus is leaving the terminal late, that has nothing to do with the (MTA). And before you say well sometimes there is traffic, I've tracked some guys at the terminal who left their tracking devices on and you could see that they had more than enough layover time, but they chose to leave the terminal late.  Then they're behind schedule and wonder why passengers are irritated when their commutes (which are already long enough) are further elongated by another 20 - 30 minutes.

Archived