Stations still named, but no longer serving streets (especially on the G)

46Dover

In light of the recent change of the (E)(F) Van Wyck station to Briarwood, I was thinking about the closing of two other stations served by the (G): Myrtle-Willoughby Avenues and Metropolitan Avenue/Grand Street. What was the reasoning behind these closings? (and how did they screw up Brodaway?)

In light of the recent change of the (E)(F) Van Wyck station to Briarwood, I was thinking about the closing of two other stations served by the (G): Myrtle-Willoughby Avenues and Metropolitan Avenue/Grand Street. What was the reasoning behind these closings? (and how did they screw up Brodaway?)

Entrances were closed due to maintenance costs and low patronage.

There's a lot of stations that serve a street with the namesake entrance being closed like...

Junius St

163 St-Amsterdam Av

Myrtle-Willoughby

Metropolitan Av-Grand St

Briarwood-Van Wyck (Van Wyck Blvd hasn't existed in decades)

23 St-Ely Av (Ely Av also not existing for decades)

Woodhaven Blvd-Slattery Plaza (Slattery Plaza being destroyed for the LIE)

Look a good deal of the Flushing line and Astoria line were built when the streets had different names. During the 30's the names were changed to numerical forms as Gerard which is now 39th street changed to Steinway when it crossed the Sunnyside yard. This is the tower which everyone blames for delays Gerard got its name. Bliss,Lowery, Rawston which are now 45, 40 and 33 streets. In Queens case the people didn't want the stations renamed to the right names. As for the G stations being closed , 50 years ago when I took the GG to Fulton street to go to school for 3 years I don't think I ever saw a passenger waiting for a train or very few and this was rush hour in the morning. Afternoons was similar except there was a girls Catholic high school which let out about 3 PM which gave passengers but I don't know if that school still exists. If you don't have minimum passengers you can't afford the station.

what about all those stops on the (A) i queens 80th st to 111 whats history behind those streets

If I remember right the line was originally a BMT line as an el which went over the Brooklyn bridge to Manhattan. The stations were an add on which was built to heavier standards of structure of BMT standards cars which the rest of the el didn't have. When the original el was razed that area was left which the A built on under the consolidation of the transit system.

what about all those stops on the (A) i queens 80th st to 111 whats history behind those streets

The original names of the station before the area adopted the street renumbering, same with along the (7), and in the Rockaways.

If I remember right the line was originally a BMT line as an el which went over the Brooklyn bridge to Manhattan. The stations were an add on which was built to heavier standards of structure of BMT standards cars which the rest of the el didn't have. When the original el was razed that area was left which the A built on under the consolidation of the transit system.

It also ran along the Fulton St El, through Brosdway Junction, and along Pitkin Av, Euclid Av & Fulton St (Queens) to Lefferts Blvd.

At that time, the (A)(C) line underground was built up to Euclid Av. After a while, the BMT went under, and the city purchased the line from Lefferts Blvd to about 76 St, and the rest was demolished (save for Atlantic Av). They extended the subway and signed it to had up to Lefferts, and Grant Av opened as something of an intermediate stop between the 2 sections.

There's a lot of stations that serve a street with the namesake entrance being closed like...

Junius St

163 St-Amsterdam Av

Myrtle-Willoughby

Metropolitan Av-Grand St

Briarwood-Van Wyck (Van Wyck Blvd hasn't existed in decades)

23 St-Ely Av (Ely Av also not existing for decades)

Woodhaven Blvd-Slattery Plaza (Slattery Plaza being destroyed for the LIE)

I completely forgot about Slattery Plaza. Isn't it Queens Center or Queens Mall now?

Archived