MTA suspends motorman for breaking rule to help trainee spitting blood

Q113 LTD

A subway motorman broke the rules to get urgent medical help for a trainee who blacked out in his cab and was spitting up blood — and the (MTA) responded by suspending him without pay for breaching protocol, The Post has learned. Quincy Calhoun, 59, was training a motorman on the elevated (5) train the morning of April 17 when his student felt chest pain and fainted as the train approached Dyre Avenue. Before he collapsed in the cab, the ill trainee went through a red signal, which threw the brakes into emergency. Calhoun, who has been working for the (MTA) since 1989, said he tried to reach the Rail Communication Center via a portable radio for help, but could not get through since he was in a dead zone. “I was only trying to do the right thing by that gentleman who was laying in that cab,” said Calhoun. “That’s what I was thinking about. All I know is when you grab your chest and slump to the floor, it isn’t a good sign.” He went onto the tracks and used a device called a stop arm to disable the signal, and then split a switch to move the train forward. “All I was thinking about was getting this guy medical help,” said Calhoun. He said he then pulled into the station at under 10 mph. The trainee was taken by medics to Jacobi Hospital shortly after. The (MTA) said the move was dangerous, and immediately took him out of passenger service. Calhoun was then suspended without pay on Monday................

Want to read more?

Source: http://nypost.com/2015/05/20/mta-suspends-subway-operator-for-saving-trainees-life/

You see, this is one of the many things I don't like. I also read something else different a few days ago: some guy in another city help saved an animal that fainted by breaking the window, but yet, the owner of the car had the cops arrested him. Much to my surprise and dismay as I kept reading the article, the law had stated that if a child is seen unconscious inside a car, that's when somebody else has to save them, but not pets. I think it is sorta similar to this article IMO.

Now heading back to this article, I fully agree that at least he saved the life of another human being. You could have been long dead had the T/O not done what he done. Did the (MTA) really had to suspend him?  :angry: Sigh.

This is not his first infraction, and since we don't know what other issues exist in his folder, it would be best not to jump to conclusions.  He's playing the hero card now, but we don't know his entire history.  I'm willing to bet that if this was his first infraction, it may been overlooked, but if he has a history of putting others at risk then that is a big no-no for the (MTA)

This is not his first infraction, and since we don't know what other issues exist in his folder, it would be best not to jump to conclusions. He's playing the hero card now, but we don't know his entire history. I'm willing to bet that if this was his first infraction, it may been overlooked, but if he has a history of putting others at risk then that is a big no-no for the (MTA).

I'm on the side of VG8.However, I'm a bit iffy here with the decision made since the trainee was spitting up blood. But if he did something like this before, it really hurts his job here.

I'll just keep my mouth shut and just let bygones be bygones.

I'm on the side of VG8.However, I'm a bit iffy here with the decision made since the trainee was spitting up blood. But if he did something like this before, it really hurts his job here.

I'll just keep my mouth shut and just let bygones be bygones.

Yeah, but you don't have to always let bygones be bygones. There are a bulk amount of things I still don't agree with despite of what's said or what will be said. If they show his entire history (and therefore, states that he hasn't done anything like this before in his lifetime), then I wouldn't say he's a bad guy after all. I always try my best not to judge people based on what's said, done, nor what will be said or done. But yes, I should wait until they show his whole history, then I can therefore, come to a conclusion.

Yeah, but you don't have to always let bygones be bygones. There are a bulk amount of things I still don't agree with despite of what's said or what will be said. If they show his entire history (and therefore, states that he hasn't done anything like this before in his lifetime), then I wouldn't say he's a bad guy after all. I always try my best not to judge people based on what's said, done, nor what will be said or done. But yes, I should wait until they show his whole history, then I can therefore, come to a conclusion.

This is the only thing said about his history:

An MTA official also said Calhoun has past infractions contributing to the disciplinary action.

So this was not the first time he did something like this. But was the past involving saved lives or just delays? Again, since I don't really know the story of the T/O, I'll keep things to myself for now.

Total bureaucratic bullshit. I detest when big agencies crack down on good action all in the name of mindless rule-following. Give the man his job back, and thank him for saving the MTA from an investigation into radio dead zones that could have left a man dead.

Forgetting the issue of the trainee who fainted, if the T/O can't communicate with RCC when there is a mechanical issue or something along those lines because of a dead zone, what exactly is he or she supposed to do?? It's horrible that dead zones still exist, especially on an elevated line.

I totally disagree with the decision they made "Suspending the T/O" for at least saving the trainee life. But I understand he did something risky by ignoring the RED light signal and by-passing it which could of ended the entire scenario into a different turn. But at least give him a warning or a retraining program when it comes to these type of situations. All the money transit has spent and received for new projects and etc, At least they should have gotten way better technology system as far the communication tool. Hearing this just makes me think twice on how safe is the train system overall if we ever come to some type of underground  disaster. 

I really hope the TWU steps in and defends this guy. He should be honored, not crucified.

I also feel really bad for the trainee to step into a big time job, and have a medical setback such as this. Right when I joined Lakeland, I suffered from serious blood loss, and probably would've died if I wasn't treated. Thankfully I was able to get better and continue with my life and I really hope to God this person gets better and can continue his.

Those who say that Calhoun should not be punished, just remember this was NOT the first time he did this. I searched this more online and found some things he did in the past.

Calhoun had offenses for speeding. In our subway system, there are very few places I know of that can easily let a fast train slide around without any damage or harm (mainly the express and tube tracks). In fact, one of these speeds Calhoun did injured a conductor who fell when the train was going too fast. I'm pretty sure this accident likely played a role in the MTA's judgment when he was getting the trainee to safety.

There's more to this story than just what his record is and I'm not at liberty to say due to this investigation... Give it time maybe maybe the truth comes out.... If not then it is what it is... Not being cold but being real here.

There's more to this story than just what his record is and I'm not at liberty to say due to this investigation... Give it time maybe maybe the truth comes out.... If not then it is what it is... Not being cold but being real here.

Well, now that you say it like that (more to the story)

I figured this much (that he has history). My uncle has been working for the (MTA) for over 20+ years, and I have also worked for the (MTA), and from my own personal experience and that of my uncle, while they believe in employees following the letter, I don't believe that this guy is telling the whole story here about his history.  Additionally, what it comes down to is liability for the (MTA). Any employee that has a history of being a liability is a big problem for the (MTA) because their actions cost the (MTA) money (legal fees for lawyers, and any monies that have to paid out for lawsuits due to negligence or whatever the case may be and those monies don't just fall from the sky), and so if there's a history of this guy taking risks outside of this one, eventually the (MTA) will move to try to get rid of him.  They already have a folder on him with his history, so if he does survive this, he would be wise to lay low and not do anything that will cause him more problems.  One guy that can be replaced is not worth millions of dollars in lawsuits.

I figured this much (that he has history). My uncle has been working for the (MTA) for over 20+ years, and I have also worked for the (MTA), and from my own personal experience and that of my uncle, while they believe in employees following the letter, I don't believe that this guy is telling the whole story here about his history.  Additionally, what it comes down to is liability for the (MTA). Any employee that has a history of being a liability is a big problem for the (MTA) because their actions cost the (MTA) money (legal fees for lawyers, and any monies that have to paid out for lawsuits due to negligence or whatever the case may be and those monies don't just fall from the sky), and so if there's a history of this guy taking risks outside of this one, eventually the (MTA) will move to try to get rid of him.  They already have a folder on him with his history, so if he does survive this, he would be wise to lay low and not do anything that will cause him more problems.  One guy that can be replaced is not worth millions of dollars in lawsuits.

Was you a B/O for the  (MTA)...Just curious

Was you a B/O for the  (MTA)...Just curious

No.  I worked down at 330 Jay Street in the office when I was high school for a few summers.  It was cool to work there.  I did data entry one year and was placed in another department the following year.  We had sign-in sheets that were collected once a week by someone who would come to the office, and on occasion I had to go over to 130 Livingston.  We got a free unlimited employee Metrocard, valid Monday through Friday that we could use on the local buses and subways, but I believe it only worked from 07:00 - 19:00.   We received Friday's off, which was nice, but it was a pain having to go pick up our checks in the city, esp. since I lived in Brooklyn at the time.  I hope they have changed that procedure.

However, my uncle has been a B/O since I was a kid.  Used to work out of 100th street, but moved to Quill since he prefers the crosstown lines.  Oddly enough I've seen him operating twice over the years while I was on the express bus. Once on 23rd street on the M23 while I was on the X14 heading to work, and another time doing the M66 or M72.  I was on the BxM4 heading Southbound and texted him that I saw him. lol  He's very laid back, polite B/O and tries to treat everyone w/respect.  I haven't rode with him though in years.  He started out in his 20's but he should be due to retire eventually.

The question is always in how your choices affect other people.

Let's say you're with a friend and he has a heart attack. You toss him in the car and race him over to the nearest ER. You get there in time and your friend will be fine. But a little while latter the cops show up and arrest you because you drove like The Stig on Meth.

You were trying to help your friend, but you put other people at risk. It's a catch 22 argument.

So this is a lose/lose situation ethier way. I wonder how this is going to stand up, if he didn't react, someone would have died, but if he did react, other people would have gotten in danger.

Okay so this might be a little uninformed but how was he in a radio dead-zone above ground, right near a terminal? 

I can pick up trains above ground in the bronx with my radio when I'm in queens

The repeater network definitely gets patchy underground - but above ground you should have line of sight. The handhelds are probably at least 1 Watt which should be able to go for several miles. More likely they are 5 watt, which - I don't even know, this story doesn't make sense to me, but maybe there's really a repeater dead zone at Dyre, which I feel like a lot of people would know about. 

FYI I have been on trains (put-ins) located just north of Dyre Avenue and just south of the station and the T/D or ATD could not hear me even though they could see me. In those cases I'd whip out the (illegal) cellphone. Since I'm not privy to the details of this incident I'll leave it at that. I'm not into idle speculation. Carry on.

Forgetting the issue of the trainee who fainted, if the T/O can't communicate with RCC when there is a mechanical issue or something along those lines because of a dead zone, what exactly is he or she supposed to do?? It's horrible that dead zones still exist, especially on an elevated line.

If you can't raise command center on the radio, you must use a wayside phone to to receive permission to pass a red automatic signal. Depending on track occupancy ahead, there are different amounts of time you must wait before calling command. By rule, you cannot give yourself permission to pass any red signal, no matter what.

Archived