Questions for the MTA Regarding the Proposed B46 SBS

BrooklynBus

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2015/05/the-commute-questions-for-the-mta-regarding-the-proposed-b46-sbs/

THE COMMUTE: The MTA is proposing Select Bus Service (SBS) on the B46 Utica Avenue bus route scheduled for autumn implementation this year. It was scheduled for discussion at the MTA Transit Committee meeting this past May 18. The information is provided on the ‘Staff Summary,’ on pages 133 to 138 of the agenda. Community meetings have already been held.

Here are some questions for the MTA regarding the proposed B46 SBS:

Well for some of the decreases (M60, B44) the decrease might reflect people who used it between stops which are no longer served by the SBS route. However I do think that the B44's numbers dipped too much. In addition, M34/M34A may be losing riders because of the amount of time spent off 34 streets bus lanes, which it would get stuck in regular traffic. The M34A serves both end portions off 34 Street. So the M34 will be the most efficient there, but the M34A will be the more unreliable of the two.

This is my first article about the B46, so it is definitely not a broken record. As for the "decline" in B44 ridership, perhaps there just is massive fare evasion. A definite possibility.

The B44's decline is mostly because the nortbound trips were relocated to a different Avenue which is very inconvenient for some. At the same time because of this the major reason the B44 Local increased in ridership.

I did a survey Friday at rush hour and counted 92 ppl fare-beat on the B6 between Brooklyn College and Utica Av.

Counted 33 pp fare beat on the B46 within one trip. and counted 11 ppl doing it on the B44SBS, and saw 6 ppl pass tickets off.

The B6, and B46 get crazy crush-loaded, and everyone wants to head to the back doors. It's such a problem now that you are likely to see several NYPD officers at the 46 stop at Utica and Eastern Pky.

I counted 92 ppl do it within no more than 6 stops and the majority was at Brooklyn College, followed by the Flatbush Av, and Nostrand Av Stops. One run alone and i didnt even take the whole trip and there you had 92 ppl go unrecorded on a bus. 

This is why I stand by my statement that the numbers do not reflect what really takes place out on the streets... The numbers wee see are reflected by fair-box transactions.....

That was just 92 ppl within 20 minutes, on 1 RTS...... I think I rest my case

But to get back on topic my only question would have been why not send at least a few runs to the Bridge Plaza off peak.

When I had a face to face with one of the heads of the DOT on the 46SBS project I was told there is no room to add another articulated bay at the bridge at this time, they want service to be more reliable than it is, and pick-up ridership on Broadway is not high enough at one single stop to justify it.

So there are no more questions on my end. I was one of the few people who advocated for the line nearly 10 years ago, so I am quite pleased it is finally coming into existence. I use the B6, B44, and B46 more than any other routes in the city. I avoid the B41 and B49 like the plague now and opt for the (2) or (Q) trains, and love catching the B11 if it comes before the 6. Most of them can keep up with B6 limited's from Avenue J all the way to Flatbush. And there is an 80% chance I will get to sit down.

My biggest gripe for nearly a decade has been the boarding time for the B46 at Utica and Eastern Pky. is bananas!

On Friday, Including myself, I counted 64 people waiting for the 46 local/limited. 3 buses pulled up all at once and and sat there boarding for nearly 6 minutes because people continue to come to the stop.

My final take of the B46 was I didn't care if they made the line full SBS or not, but off-board payment was needed yesterday. I avoid that stop like the plague as well unless I need a Limited bus or I'm doing a survey.  

The B44's decline is mostly because the nortbound trips were relocated to a different Avenue which is very inconvenient for some. At the same time because of this the major reason the B44 Local increased in ridership.

I did a survey Friday at rush hour and counted 92 ppl fare-beat on the B6 between Brooklyn College and Utica Av.

Counted 33 pp fare beat on the B46 within one trip. and counted 11 ppl doing it on the B44SBS, and saw 6 ppl pass tickets off.

The B6, and B46 get crazy crush-loaded, and everyone wants to head to the back doors. It's such a problem now that you are likely to see several NYPD officers at the 46 stop at Utica and Eastern Pky.

I counted 92 ppl do it within no more than 6 stops and the majority was at Brooklyn College, followed by the Flatbush Av, and Nostrand Av Stops. One run alone and i didnt even take the whole trip and there you had 92 ppl go unrecorded on a bus. 

This is why I stand by my statement that the numbers do not reflect what really takes place out on the streets... The numbers wee see are reflected by fair-box transactions.....

That was just 92 ppl within 20 minutes, on 1 RTS...... I think I rest my case

Thank you for your comment.

Archived