Intermediate ticket questions

Via Garibaldi 8

Why did the intermediate price remain at $3.00, but all other ticket prices went up?  I noticed that yesterday when getting a ticket to head to Woodlawn.

Also wanted to know if I can use a left over ticket from the Harlem line on the Hudson Line if the fare is the same?

Not sure of the answer to the $3.00 question.

The interchangeably of tickets between the Hudson and Harlem lines go strictly by zone to zone. Yes, I understand a zone 2 to 3 is the same price as a zone 3 to 4. Just telling you what we are told by the carrier. Any further questions or comments about it should be directed to the said carrier.

Why did the intermediate price remain at $3.00, but all other ticket prices went up?  I noticed that yesterday when getting a ticket to head to Woodlawn.

Increase it by the same percentage then round to the nearest quarter, and you're back at $3.

Increase it by the same percentage then round to the nearest quarter, and you're back at $3.

Even so, it should've been raised.  They raised the City Ticket price, but didn't change the intermediate price, and I would imagine that quite a few people use those tickets.

Even so, it should've been raised.  They raised the City Ticket price, but didn't change the intermediate price, and I would imagine that quite a few people use those tickets.

At least in LIRR land, the city stations are an afterthought, so it's not completely unexpected that in addition to piss poor service and ridiculously expensive tickets, the few bread crumbs they are giving us are even smaller.

The city ticket was raised in relation with the rest of the fares. The city ticket has always been half the peak fare from zone 1 to 2 giving you the same discount as a senior or disable ticket.

I'm sure the conversation would be the opposite if the single zone intermediate fare was raised because the 25 or 50 cent theoretical increase is substantially higher than the percentage of the advertised hike.

Yes, quite a few people use city tickets, quite a few use $3.00 intermediate tickets (a very popular one is Yonkers and Dobbs Ferry or White Plains and Fordham). The cost going from in and out of Manhattan has always been more than that of intermediate to intermediate stations.

The city ticket was raised in relation with the rest of the fares. The city ticket has always been half the peak fare from zone 1 to 2 giving you the same discount as a senior or disable ticket.

I'm sure the conversation would be the opposite if the single zone intermediate fare was raised because the 25 or 50 cent theoretical increase is substantially higher than the percentage of the advertised hike.

Yes, quite a few people use city tickets, quite a few use $3.00 intermediate tickets (a very popular one is Yonkers and Dobbs Ferry or White Plains and Fordham). The cost going from in and out of Manhattan has always been more than that of intermediate to intermediate stations.

I think it's completely unfair to have those of us who use the trains during peak periods receive an increase while those doing intermediate travel get no increase at all.  You and I know the deal with those $3.00 fares.  It consists of a lot of poor folks coming from poor areas of Westchester, coming to Fordham, getting off there and taking the subway in the rest of the way.  So someone from tony Riverdale or affluent parts of Westchester should pay more to supplement the poor folks in Mount Vernon and other areas.  Shame on the (MTA)

At least in LIRR land, the city stations are an afterthought, so it's not completely unexpected that in addition to piss poor service and ridiculously expensive tickets, the few bread crumbs they are giving us are even smaller.

Oh please.  You folks in Queens want to live in suburban areas and then cry about not having the subway.  You either accept suburban life as it is or move to an urban area. I would never move to an area like Beechhurst, Little Neck or Douglaston and then b*tch about no subway service.  Suburban parts of the city are that way because the residents want it like that.  I for one DON'T want a subway in Riverdale.  The express bus and Metro-North are more expensive and that's perfectly fine.  It keeps the area safe, and desirable and free of riff-raff.

You're overthinking this... it comes down to simple arithmetic.

The fare increase was 4%, therefore to find out what the new fare is you take the old fare and multiply it by 1.04 (1 + 0.04).  Because we don't pay fares in pennies or fractions of pennies, you then round the result to the nearest quarter.

$3.00 * 1.04 = $3.12.   ($3.12 is less than $3.125, so the value rounds down to $3.00).

$4.00 * 1.04 = $4.16.   ($4.16 is greater than $4.125, so the value rounds up to $4.25).

That's it, it's just multiplication and rounding.  It's not because the MTA wants to slight certain types of people, or because the fares are half of whatever, or they think people in the city should pay more.  The larger the multiplier or the multiplicand, the larger the change between the original value and the quotient.

You're overthinking this... it comes down to simple arithmetic.

The fare increase was 4%, therefore to find out what the new fare is you take the old fare and multiply it by 1.04 (1 + 0.04).  Because we don't pay fares in pennies or fractions of pennies, you then round the result to the nearest quarter.

$3.00 * 1.04 = $3.12.   ($3.12 is less than $3.125, so the value rounds down to $3.00).

$4.00 * 1.04 = $4.16.   ($4.16 is greater than $4.125, so the value rounds up to $4.25).

That's it, it's just multiplication and rounding.  It's not because the MTA wants to slight certain types of people, or because the fares are half of whatever, or they think people in the city should pay more.  The larger the multiplier or the multiplicand, the larger the change between the original value and the quotient.

That's all obvious but a fare increase should apply to all, not just some.  I don't think it was a 4% increase across the board either. For example I pay $57.25 per week now for my express bus pass even though $57.20 is a nice around number that wouldn't involve pennies, and Metro-North one way is now $11.50 from Riverdale to Grand Central when the Hudson Rail Link is included.

I think it's completely unfair to have those of us who use the trains during peak periods receive an increase while those doing intermediate travel get no increase at all.  You and I know the deal with those $3.00 fares.  It consists of a lot of poor folks coming from poor areas of Westchester, coming to Fordham, getting off there and taking the subway in the rest of the way.  So someone from tony Riverdale or affluent parts of Westchester should pay more to supplement the poor folks in Mount Vernon and other areas.  Shame on the (MTA)

Here we go again, back to the allegations of Metro North segregating the rich and poor.  I imagine you are one of the ones that tell the conductors how to do their job too.  Like when passengers have an expired ticket and tell the conductor they are going to accept it.  Only to be yelled at by rule abiding passers to pay the fare so they don't have to hear the nonsense.

I know I've said it before but here it is again.  Call "511".  At the prompts say, "Metro North Railroad", "More Options" and "comments and concerns".  They are the ones that care (well, not likely).  You'll have a better chance venting on them then those on the forum.  Yes, I know you started about why the intermediate fare was not changed.  You got the answer but don't like it and how you are unfairly treated.  Enough already!

Here we go again, back to the allegations of Metro North segregating the rich and poor.  I imagine you are one of the ones that tell the conductors how to do their job too.  Like when passengers have an expired ticket and tell the conductor they are going to accept it.  Only to be yelled at by rule abiding passers to pay the fare so they don't have to hear the nonsense.

I know I've said it before but here it is again.  Call "511".  At the prompts say, "Metro North Railroad", "More Options" and "comments and concerns".  They are the ones that care (well, not likely).  You'll have a better chance venting on them then those on the forum.  Yes, I know you started about why the intermediate fare was not changed.  You got the answer but don't like it and how you are unfairly treated.  Enough already!

Not segregation... They're just hitting up the affluent riders and giving the poor ones a break and I disagree with it.  You can't state that there's a 4% increase and then only increase the fares on some riders, particularly ones with deep pockets.  If it was equal all around it would be one thing but it isn't.  They aren't stupid as you're trying to allege.  They know who has money and who doesn't, and we both know that many people use those cheap intermediate tickets.  I see hoards of them at the Fordham station.  

Sorry but just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm not allowed to voice it.  Just telling it the way it is.

Sorry but just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm not allowed to voice it. Just telling it the way it is.

Stop contradicting yourself. If it's your "opinion" it doesn't mean that's the way it is (fact). It's only the way YOU perceive it.

Stop contradicting yourself. If it's your "opinion" it doesn't mean that's the way it is (fact). It's only the way YOU perceive it.

Ok, Mr. Holier-Than-Thou.  You really do think you're above everyone else trying to put everyone in their place.  Typical (MTA) employee. I hope I've never had you on my train.

That's all obvious but a fare increase should apply to all, not just some.  I don't think it was a 4% increase across the board either. For example I pay $57.25 per week now for my express bus pass even though $57.20 is a nice around number that wouldn't involve pennies, and Metro-North one way is now $11.50 from Riverdale to Grand Central when the Hudson Rail Link is included.

What do you not understand?  This is not difficult.  It's multiplication and rounding, things you should have learned in grade school.  Half the time things are rounded up, half the time things are rounded down.

Ticket Vending Machines give change in dollar coins and quarters.  They're not going to modify the TVM's to dispense dimes and nickles for change just because someone doesn't want to grasp the elementary concepts of multiplication and rounding.

What do you not understand?  This is not difficult.  It's multiplication and rounding, things you should have learned in grade school.  Half the time things are rounded up, half the time things are rounded down.

Ticket Vending Machines give change in dollar coins and quarters.  They're not going to modify the TVM's to dispense dimes and nickles for change just because someone doesn't want to grasp the elementary concepts of multiplication and rounding.

Well I'm sure so many people pay in cash at those machines for expensive commuter passes and such. I know I always do... <_< 

Oh please.  You folks in Queens want to live in suburban areas and then cry about not having the subway.  You either accept suburban life as it is or move to an urban area. I would never move to an area like Beechhurst, Little Neck or Douglaston and then b*tch about no subway service.  Suburban parts of the city are that way because the residents want it like that.  I for one DON'T want a subway in Riverdale.  The express bus and Metro-North are more expensive and that's perfectly fine.  It keeps the area safe, and desirable and free of riff-raff.

So let me get this straight. When you're complaining about the intermediates being more expensive than CityTicket, it's okay because only the poor use immediate tickets (or so you say) and Riverdale deserves to be treated at least just as well as their Westchester counterparts, but when say it, I should just "deal with suburban life". Talk about hypocrisy.

Also, no one was talking about the subway, so why bring that up?

Well I'm sure so many people pay in cash at those machines for expensive commuter passes and such. I know I always do... <_< 

It's actually wiser to do so. How many times has the MTA found card skimmers on its TVM machines already?

So let me get this straight. When you're complaining about the intermediates being more expensive than CityTicket, it's okay because only the poor use immediate tickets (or so you say) and Riverdale deserves to be treated at least just as well as their Westchester counterparts, but when say it, I should just "deal with suburban life". Talk about hypocrisy.

Also, no one was talking about the subway, so why bring that up?

It's actually wiser to do so. How many times has the MTA found card skimmers on its TVM machines already?

I never said intermediate tickets are more expensive than City Tickets.  I said that intermediate prices should've been raised just like all of the other ticket prices were, which is only fair.  And yes lots of poor folks use intermediate tickets especially at Fordham. They get on there in the Bronx and then go to poor Westchester towns like Mount Vernon and other seedy towns.  Additionally, Riverdale is treated like its Westchester counterparts (as it should be in terms of service).  Unlike you folks in your area of Queens, we embrace our suburban lifestyle and use our commuter railroad.  Metro-North has noted the increase in ridership at our two stations despite the increase in prices.  No one moves to Riverdale to ride the subway.  They would be fools to do so, as Riverdale is Westchester in the city.  The professional thing to do is ride the express bus or Metro-North.

You slammed LIRR service in your area so it's evident that you're trying to justify why people gravitate to the subway out there.  Using cash is not necessarily wise, unless you want tons of dollar coins.  I just use common sense when I use those TVM machines and use cards that have smaller amounts.

are you serious the reason we are complain about queens is mostly due to a more isolated reasons of the PW line and the fact that there is a lack of QM3 service and stop complaining about the low price be happy that it's cheap zone 3-4 travel on the MNR is like 3 dollars but on the LIRR it's like 5+ dollars which ends up forcing everyone on the NICE bus lines I feel that the MNR is doing a good job with their pricing not everyone who lives far is as rich as you are and the MTA is a public service not a service for the rich so it's a good thing that they have cheap alternative for ppl that don't have much money and don't just say why don't move to the city because a getto apt in the city can cost just as much as a small house outside of the city

Going back to queen it's not just the railroad worth complain about there are many problems with all transit service in north queens that need to be addressed that aren't for some reason and on Pw there is only 1 train running at a time during over night hours with such steeper prices and shitter service we sure as hell complain less then you guys and why the hell you you complain that prices don't go up if you told that to anyone who rode the LIRR wether or not they were affected by it they sure as hell wouldn't complain

are you serious the reason we are complain about queens is mostly due to a more isolated reasons of the PW line and the fact that there is a lack of QM3 service and stop complaining about the low price be happy that it's cheap zone 3-4 travel on the MNR is like 3 dollars but on the LIRR it's like 5+ dollars which ends up forcing everyone on the NICE bus lines I feel that the MNR is doing a good job with their pricing not everyone who lives far is as rich as you are and the MTA is a public service not a service for the rich so it's a good thing that they have cheap alternative for ppl that don't have much money and don't just say why don't move to the city because a getto apt in the city can cost just as much as a small house outside of the city

Going back to queen it's not just the railroad worth complain about there are many problems with all transit service in north queens that need to be addressed that aren't for some reason and on Pw there is only 1 train running at a time during over night hours with such steeper prices and shitter service we sure as hell complain less then you guys and why the hell you you complain that prices don't go up if you told that to anyone who rode the LIRR wether or not they were affected by it they sure as hell wouldn't complain

Northeast Queens and the Queens I'm talking about is completely different. People in Northeast Queens (more specifically Whitestone, Beechhurst, Bay Terrace, Little Neck, Douglaston and Glen Oaks) use the express buses or the LIRR and they don't complain about the price because they can afford it.  The only people complaining are those who can't afford the LIRR or want the live far out but still have subway access. Can't have it both ways.  You either live the suburban life or live the city life.  It would be helpful if you used proper punctuation too.  There isn't one period to be found anywhere.

It would be helpful if you used proper punctuation too. There isn't one period to be found anywhere.

Chill I'm on my phone switch text pages every 2 seconds is too much work anyway there are plenty of poor ppl in that area but like I said they are force to take NICE because they don't have the money for LIRR intermediate and plenty of people actually get off in flushing and take subway cause like I said LIRR prices are steep and it's not all those house people have money there are many poor houses especially near northern blvd and south of that

Going back to what you said I honestly do t understand why ur mad that the MNR is keeping their prices low there is nothing wrong for keeping prices low for those who can't afford it I really don't understand why people are upset about it poor people can't afford to live in the city it's too expensive even in the projects

Chill I'm on my phone switch text pages every 2 seconds is too much work anyway there are plenty of poor ppl in that area but like I said they are force to take NICE because they don't have the money for LIRR intermediate and plenty of people actually get off in flushing and take subway cause like I said LIRR prices are steep and it's not all those house people have money there are many poor houses especially near northern blvd and south of that

Going back to what you said I honestly do t understand why ur mad that the MNR is keeping their prices low there is nothing wrong for keeping prices low for those who can't afford it I really don't understand why people are upset about it poor people can't afford to live in the city it's too expensive even in the projects

If you're on your phone they have something called periods.  Your grammar is atrocious, and quite frankly it's difficult to take you seriously when half of what you write makes no sense.  Anyone who can't afford to live in the city can explore cheaper options elsewhere.  There should be no favoritism when it comes to fare hikes, which is precisely what occurred when MNRR didn't raise the intermediate ticket prices.  

If you're a grammar nazi that a you problem

Now seriously do you think the. MTA will actually charge 12 extra cents per each ticket? NO they'll just raise it next time regardless of the fact if it rounds higher or not they won't do it two times in a row honestly if is a problem that bugs you so much that you feel the the MTA is playing favorites maybe instead of saying other poor people should move maybe you should consider moving clearly the MTA isn't being fair with you and since you're paying such an in fair price you should find another home where the prices are more fair and pro ally somewhere that has their transit system run by a private company

If you're a grammar nazi that a you problem

Now seriously do you think the. MTA will actually charge 12 extra cents per each ticket? NO they'll just raise it next time regardless of the fact if it rounds higher or not they won't do it two times in a row honestly if is a problem that bugs you so much that you feel the the MTA is playing favorites maybe instead of saying other poor people should move maybe you should consider moving clearly the MTA isn't being fair with you and since you're paying such an in fair price you should find another home where the prices are more fair and pro ally somewhere that has their transit system run by a private company

I'm entitled to my opinion and I've said what I had to say. No point in going back and forth with you when I can't understand what you're saying.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I've said what I had to said. No point in going back and forth with you when I can't understand what you're saying.

Then I shouldn't waste my time I'm done here 

Archived