Q27

IAlam

The Q27 is very complex it terms of making it better after I discussion on the which lines need attics thread so I divide to make. Separate thread starting of from where I made that idea on wards

The Q27 is a weird situation excluding when school lets out you can have buses every 3min in one direction all of them packed but service in the other direction every 20min but without severe overcrowding and the MTA has already figured that out as the Q27 has a similar service pattern as the X1 bus where in the peak direction there is a lot of service but in the off peak is very minimal service instead of attics which the Q27 can't handle I suppose maybe a new service pattern can do the trick

How about instead of every bus either going to Jamica Ave peak buses be split into three different variations Q27,Q27LTD,and a new Q27A or Q27X the idea would be that the the Q27 and the Q27LTD run to either Queensboro Community collage or the LIE (which ever is better) and then this new Q27X would pick up at flushing go along main at to the LIE and then run non stop to Queensboro Community collage and then make all local stops south of the collage

Free transfer should be provided to those continuing in the same direction from Q27 to Q27X or vise versa. Of course all off peak Q27 buses will still run the full route like they currently do and school trippers would remain un affected this idea would allow to cover the same area with probably a few less buses and faster travel times for those going to the collage and points south from flushing. Please keep in mind the or would only be in affect during rush hour in the peak direction like how the current Q27LTD is

As for the Q88 it need more operating hours in general because I remover on Sunday mornings I would take the the Q44 and first Q88 which ran at like past 8am and that bus was always crowded and that was going away from woodhave so attics on school trippers and the first few buses of the day in both directions Would really help and CS always has a few attics lying around which they could give no problem

I am not really a fan of this Q27X which does not even follow the same routing as the original Q27/LTD. The whole purpose of an express like service is to have service become much faster and efficient. I can tell you right now as a person who travels on Main Street at least twice a week on the Q20/Q44 I can tell you that on a typical day there is traffic between Roosevelt Ave and the Horace Harding Expressway. The Q20/Q44 can take almost 20 minutes on some days just to travel that length so the Q27X would not work.

Now you also have it where it seems like every bus is running to either the College and or the LIE. Why does everyone think that this College needs and overload of service. You already have the Q27 from Flushing and the Q30 from Jamaica doing that and I think that is more than enough. What would serve the southern end of Springfield between the LIE and 120th Ave. The Q27 already picks up decently and more than the Q88. The Q88 should really end around at Hillside Ave because I feel that buses bunch up and cause the other part of the line to become unreliable. I don't know how it happens but I notice more buses are able to show up on time on the Queens Village side than the Woodhaven Blvd side. Now as far as the Q88 running earlier on Sunday I agree with you because as a major connector route starting after 8 really makes no sense. There was a time when it started at 9:50 in the morning that was insane. Even though I only needed it once I had to use the Q64 instead which is however closer to me.

okay the reason I at to use main st it that is the fastest route to the LiE the other route kissena already take 20min without traffic another route that it could take would be collage point blvd cause that is the shortest distance

However the idea of what I'm doing comes from the MNR where some buses run half way through the line while others run directly to where the other terminates and then makes all stops after that

The main point of my idea if to have the route do the same work with less buses because the run like how I explained earlier with the X1 buses on the Q27 already bunch up really bad and if we have then terminate at the LIE and then take the highway back to flushing which could speed up reliability on that part of the route the Q27X yea it would be a bit more unreliable but let's face it the interval between buses on that part of the line would have significant decease in service

Additionally yes I do agree with you that service on main and the LIE might be a bit unreliable but compared to the narrow local roads the line already goes through the Q27X would defiantly be faster even if it wasn't by much furthermore saying the Q27X was late because of it wasn't reliable then the return Q27 which would have to come from Q27X buses would probably be late but I'm pretty sure the interval between busses wouldn't change much which is what the MTA cares about

Saying that Mainst is always bad is simply not true yeas it can get bad but one thing I always notice is that in the afternoon the traffic builds up going to flushing which is the opposite of where the Q27X would be going at that time the LIE we know it's slow but being direct and usually since it's not stopping it should be fine and it would probably only affect buses in a 2 hour interval in the morning and a 4 hour interval in the afternoon/evening all buses outside that interval run the full route including any LTD run it may not have the best reliability but in no way will any bus line will have much anyway and the Q44SBS is coming soon so the Q27X should be able to piggyback off that if possible

Finally the idea is to address how to add more capacity on a line that can't support attics since more people get on and of between the LIE and Flushing it would make sense to cycle more buses on that part of the line now that buses can easily get back on the highway and back to flushing the Q27 would be able to do More TPH or use less buses it may not be a flawless plan but it is worth testing out

I tend to like the general idea of a peak only "27x" but I don't like the fact that it would deviate from its routing either... a good while back, someone had a similar idea, except that it used northern blvd (instead of main & the LIE) to get to QCC....

If such a route existed, I would have the first stop from Flushing be HHE, then Hillside, then Jamaica, then all local stops to Cambria Hgts/120th.... No routing deviation whatsoever.... These would only run during the rush; some service would be extracted from the Q27 local, with the Q26 ending at QCC instead... Basically, the Q26 + the Q27 local would provide the service to QCC, instead of the burden being on the Q27 (route) from flushing itself....

This is what I'm saying:

Q26 - extension to QCC (via Q27 routing east of Utopia pkwy.... Hollis ct. blvd service eliminated)

Q27 local - decreased service b/w Flushing & HHE

Q27 LTD - unchanged (current LTD stops b/w Flushing & Cambria Hgts.)

Q27x/super LTD/whatever - runs nonstop from Flushing to HHE, then stops at Hillside av, Jamaica av, then all local stops to Cambria Hgts....

Archived