•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Promotional Exam: Train Operator #6704

• Please log in to reply
    108 replies to this topic

#1 jaydubs36

jaydubs36
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 52 posts
    • LocationOssining, NY

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

I know I'm a B/O but really thinking about taking the promotion test for T/O, filling starts in September.

Does anyone out there have any tips, study material etc...that would help me with the exam?

I have the Train Operator Test Prep Study Guide, but I'm sure there's other material that I can study to increase my score.

I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks

#2 Etrain

Etrain
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 128 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

I know I'm a B/O but really thinking about taking the promotion test for T/O, filling starts in September.

Does anyone out there have any tips, study material etc...that would help me with the exam?

I have the Train Operator Test Prep Study Guide, but I'm sure there's other material that I can study to increase my score.

I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks

I don't know about this new test coming out since this is the first time that TA is giving it but the last test was pretty much reading comprehension, you would also need to know where places in NYC are  and maybe how to get there nothing crazy.  If this is what you want good luck with it but If you been a bus driver for over 5 years you would be giving up your seniority and down here we don't get as much overtime and those crazy runs you guys get.  This must be something you must really want because you will give up a lot to come underground brother.

#3 IronboundNJT

IronboundNJT
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 388 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

I don't know about this new test coming out since this is the first time that TA is giving it but the last test was pretty much reading comprehension, you would also need to know where places in NYC are  and maybe how to get there nothing crazy.  If this is what you want good luck with it but If you been a bus driver for over 5 years you would be giving up your seniority and down here we don't get as much overtime and those crazy runs you guys get.  This must be something you must really want because you will give up a lot to come underground brother.

I'm thinking strongly about it as well. I can't speak for every operator but these high paying runs unless I get one of those 1 trip into Manhattan 1 trip out which I cant it's blood money.

#4 Tricknologist

Tricknologist
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 213 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

...If you been a bus driver for over 5 years you would be giving up your seniority...

If for whatever reason any promotional hire does not like their new job, they can always go back to their former title as long as they do so within a year w/o losing seniority. I think it's case by case if they go beyond the probationary period.

#5 jaydubs36

jaydubs36
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 52 posts
    • LocationOssining, NY

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback fellas, I really wanted to become a T/O from the beginning. I took the C/R exam and B/O exam the same year and did well on both but the Bus called first. I mean I'm about to hit 5 yrs soon and if I do loose all my seniority that would suck. I'm TA working in an OA depot and the runs in the Bronx are awesome. At Gun Hill and Kingsbridge there are 65 hr runs!! Right now I have a run that pays 49 hrs. with Sunday and Monday RDOs. 

But I'm already starting the hate that seat on the surface. 

How is it underground?

#6 barsmen

barsmen
    • 5 posts
    • Locationqueens

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

Question..... I have 3 months on the road as a Conductor, am I eligible to take the Promotion Train operator exam or the open competitive ?

#7 jaydubs36

jaydubs36
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 52 posts
    • LocationOssining, NY

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

To my understanding you are eligible to take the exam barsmen. The last Promotion to Train Operator test given was back in 2009 through DCAS. Exam No. 8562

Here was the eligibility then in 2009:

ELIGIBILITY TO TAKE EXAMINATION:

This examination is open to each employee of the New

York City Transit Authority who on the date of the multiple-choice test:

1. is permanently (not provisionally) employed in, or appears on a Preferred List (see Note, below) for the title of Conductor, Tower Operator, or Bus Operator; or

2. is permanently (not provisionally) employed in, or appears on a Preferred List (see Note, below) for, a competitive class title in the NYC Transit Authority and who has satisfactorily completed the NYCT Transit Certificate Program for Train Operator, and

must have three years of satisfactory full-time work experience including at least one year of work with the NYC Transit Authority; or

3. is employed in a labor class or non-competitive class title in the

NYC Transit Authority, and who has satisfactorily completed the NYCT Transit Certificate Program for Train Operator, and must have three years of satisfactory full-time work experience including at least one year of work with the NYC Transit Authority; and

4. is not otherwise ineligible.

I know that MaBSTOA and MTA Bus are not eligible.

I'm assuming the eligibility rules have not changed since, so I beleive you can take the promotion test barsmen.

#8 stepurgameup

stepurgameup
    • Pip
    • 212 posts
    • Locationbronx

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

@imarahall1279 why was he on stress hold I don't understand what that is ? Please explain. What does he have to do to qualify now? How long will that take? Please let me know

#9 KNYNE

KNYNE
    • Pip
    • 27 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

@barsmen:Take the Promotional exam NOT the Open Competitive. You should have long ago completed your 1 year probationary period by the time they call you for the position. That way if you wanted to return to being a Conductor you have up to a year to do so. However, if you had taken the Open Competitive then it would be up to the Assistant Superintendent, Superintendent to recommend to Assistant Chief Track Officer whether or not you could return your original position. FYI, I received this information was given directly by Track Division Chairman for Local 100. Feel free to verify with your Union Representative but it's one and the same. Believe it or not, I passed the Train Operator - Open Competitive exam before I was hired as a Track Worker and was due to report this past Wednesday. I ended up turning down the position because I didn't want to take the risk. Now I'll have to apply for the Promotional Exam in September. Oh well...smh

#10 Tricknologist

Tricknologist
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 213 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

I'm assuming the eligibility rules have not changed since, so I beleive you can take the promotion test barsmen.

Using the requirements from the last promo:

All C/Rs and B/Os must have completed their probationary period no later than the date of the exam. If he only has 3 months on the job(hired in April or late March) and assuming the promotional test will take place in Jan. or Feb. of 2016, he will not be eligible for the promotional exam. He can apply for the open competitive as long as he meets the requirements.

KNYNE: Track Workers(alongside Cleaners, Station Agents and other NYCT rank and file titles) are not eligible to promote to Train Operator directly. They would first have to complete the union's Transit Certificate Program and have 3 years of working experience(with 1 year of work w/ NYCT) to be eligible.

Edited by Tricknologist, 11 July 2015 - 02:38 PM.