T/O Exam #6704 (Promotion)

jaydubs36

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked this morning to apply for the promotion test and it's been postponed. Also the open competitive test has been cancelled. What happened?? Did they change their minds?

They have a tendency to do that when the time closes in. Try it again, later. Keep looking multiple times throughout the next few days. 

I'm also a bus operator and just filed for this exam... Just wondering does anyone know of/recommend any study material or courses that will help with the exam? I attend a course for the B/O exam the help me tremendously with the test given by 2 retired B/O... Just wondering if there was anyone on the subway side doing the same.. Thanks!

I'm also a bus operator and just filed for this exam... Just wondering does anyone know of/recommend any study material or courses that will help with the exam? I attend a course for the B/O exam the help me tremendously with the test given by 2 retired B/O... Just wondering if there was anyone on the subway side doing the same.. Thanks!

Check with the union. They might offer prep classes.

I just sent you a private message (PM) regarding this...

• 3 weeks later...

i know this is out of topic but,do you think the union gives prep course for train conductors as well?

If you're already hired by NYC Transit, e.g. as a cleaner, then maybe. You can Google them (TWU Local 100) and call them for further information.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the exam yesterday, January 10 at Midwood High School. It was packed. The exam itself was robust; the questions were challenging & the multiple choice answer selections were similar enough that you really had to read the info presented and respond just as it directed. I enjoy interpreting the psychology of testing and this one was clear: Read all instruction carefully and respond only according to established procedure and protocol. That's exactly what this position will entail. I think I did very well, the answer key is scheduled to be released on February 14. 

Also took the exam yesterday, I expected more Train Operation related questions rather than this reading comprehension exam we got.. happy to say im extremely confident I did very well.

Question though: Whats the standard of sick time to have a smooth promotion?? Im not on sick control or anything but ive called out here n there... current TO list expires Sept. Of this year I believe so hopefully they start hiring soon after that.. ill be sure to behave myself from this point with calling out but i was wondering if theres any set standard to your record they would look at. Good luck to all who took the exam and hope to see everyone at School Car!

• 4 weeks later...

Also took the exam yesterday, I expected more Train Operation related questions rather than this reading comprehension exam we got.. happy to say im extremely confident I did very well.

Question though: Whats the standard of sick time to have a smooth promotion?? Im not on sick control or anything but ive called out here n there... current TO list expires Sept. Of this year I believe so hopefully they start hiring soon after that.. ill be sure to behave myself from this point with calling out but i was wondering if theres any set standard to your record they would look at. Good luck to all who took the exam and hope to see everyone at School Car!

Not on sick control or 30%, with half or more of total possible sick days in the bank.

No chance anything under that?? Thanks for the response though!

Maybe on appeal if the reason you are under half is ue to one larged missed time incident (say a major surgery or something), but otherwise they usually don't look at the detail of "why". These are not hard and fast rules, just general principles they stick to.

Of course if you're on the 30% list because of being on probation, then that won't be held against you provided you have more than half of your accrued sick days still in the bank.

Due to the way the 1 in 3 rule works, if you don't meet these criteria but the two people in front of you have worse sick records, Transit will have to pick 1 of the 3 of you to offer the promotion to. In that case, despite not meeting the criteria, since your record would be the "least of 3 evils", you would probably get promoted over the others.

Earlier than expected, the proposed answer keys are now online.

Guys be aware that there are TWO answer keys depending on what date you took exam... I checked my answers first with the answer key date 01/11, saw i had 20/80 score and knew something had to be wrong... low and behold there was an answer key for my date of examination 01/10 and realized i really got 78/80. Gave me quite a scare so heads up n good luck!

Archived