The Transit (Bus) Biography Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Given the extensiveness of transit available in this city I am sometimes curious as to how routes (bus and subway) which are just lines on a map to an outsider evolve into everyday commutes for it's residents. To this extent I would like to get an extent of what routes active members here have used most often over the course of their lives and what they have been doing with their lives to necessitate that usage. In other words i'm inviting posters to post a transit themed autobiography to frame a boarder discussion. I'll start with mine to facilitate things. 

During my younger years pre-10 years old I happened to live in much discussed neighborhood of Co-op City (Section 4 if anyone cares). I didn't use public transit all that much given the majority of adults in my family drive (and vastly prefer it over public transit) and from what I can remember the only bus service I used frequently around that time was the Bx28 (I actually remember when RTS buses ran on it). 

For a two year period after elementary school I lived over at Clason Point. This meant less in the way of Bx28 usage since i'm in a whole different part of the borough and Bx39 usage instead. To my surprise I never had problems with the Bx39 in terms of ridiculously slow trips or waits that were long as hell. Most of my 39 usage was to/from the (6) at Parkchester so the subway starts to have an impact on my bus usage which it didn't really have in previous years. 

Then comes eight grade. I end up moving back north in the Bronx to a place in Baychester (which is walking distance from my old place in Co-op) so I end up re-acquainted with the Co-op bus routes but now add some route known as the Bx31. Given the school I went to the Bx31 ended up being the most utilized bus route of mine for a while but then high school comes around and I end up going to Truman (in Co-op City) so I can now walk to school and not worry about any buses. Let's just say my Bx31 usage dropped a lot. While I didn't have to take buses I ended up making a group of friends that I would hang out with and they did utilize buses (particularly the 12). This is when I started to become a frequent 12 Select user which I still am to this day. 

Post high school I ended up continuing my education at Baruch College. This now meant that the subway (which I did use on occasion during my adolescence) would become my primary mode of transport. Given my proximity to the (5) and (6) Baruch was actually the smartest choice I could have made for a commuter school in the city. Going away for school wasn't a thought given my burning desire to stay and enjoy the greatness of NYC. My commute experiences would vary slightly given my classes didn't start at the same time every day. The vast majority of time my first class of the day would start at 9:30 am. I actually preferred it this way since i'm an early riser. What I would do is bus it to the <6> at PBP in the event I needed to commute down during the AM Rush. If I was able to commute off-peak I would walk to (5) and get on at either Baychester Av or Gun Hill Road (I use the latter stop 90% of the time). Those bus rides to the <6> is what got me started with using the Bx23/Q50 and continuing my Bx12 usage. Coming back from said classes my ideal option was to take the <6> to PBP and xfer to the 12. Given my transit intelligence and the penchant for delays on the Lex I would commute with the aim of entering the Bronx ASAP and busing (or walking) from whatever train I ended up on in the Bronx. The majority of northbound trips may have finished with a <6> or (6) but I would end up walking home from the (5) many times and even on a few occasions taking the 12 from Jerome off the (4).

Late in my junior year of school (about 1.5 years ago) some lightbulb went off in my head that told me I had a lot more options available to me than I was utilizing. I started getting a lot more flexible with my commutes. I would on occasion take the <7> to Flushing for a Q50 (it's surprisingly quick), grab a BxM7 and walk from Bartow and Co-op City Blvd (not much of an express bus fan so never thought of it as a regular commute). Plus I wanted to lessen my <6> usage given I find the R62a presence a little problematic. 

Now I am a soon to be graduate of the school that was either the origin or destination of these various commutes. I honestly am curious myself as to how my commute patterns will evolve in the future. I've lived in the same location for the past 10 years and have seen an evolution of my commute as I have pursued different things in my life. The Bx31 was my lifeblood at one point and now I don't have a need for it. I have no clue which of the Bx12 bus, (5) train, (6) train or either I will be frequently using a year from now and beyond. For now though this is the transit biography of Jubai and he would like to read yours if you're willing to share. 

If a mod can repost this in the subway section and edit the title it would be appreciated. 

Not sure how this thread would exactly work out but I guess I'll give a little info about my surroundings:

Mainly a south bronx resident, (mainly in areas like morrisania, Mott haven, Tremont, and other SoBo neighborhoods, but I did live in Morris Park near the Bx21 though) I've seen nothing but crowds with almost every bus routes I encountered. I find it interesting that most routes I put my experience on get empty and full at certain stops, but that's how this city is.

Another thing is that this system helped expanded my ideas and made me look at old models like the Orion VI and Hybrid RTS and put then in a fantasy roster to see how they would likely run today. With my hobbies based on the MTA history and traveling, I put them down in my college essay. Since I am a senior in HS and I am looking for colleges now, the system will play a big role in how the future of my life would run.

I used to reside in the South Bronx as a kid, was born there in Morris Heights. I used the Bx40, and the Bx42, and the Bx18 when it was given the designation. I still go back every now and then to visit my family, some of them along Jerome Avenue, some on the Concourse, and some down the hills along Sedgwick.

After a while, I moved to Jackson Heights. I became more interested with buses there, I guess mainly due to the triboro coach routes. I used to remember triboro coach buses. Then I would ask, what the hell happened to the white and red buses. I lived there for a great portion of my life. I used the subway, remember the redbirds on the (7). Then one day, they all disappeared. Still remember walking down Roosevelt Avenue and seeing the (7) run above. I remember taking R32's on the (E), and the R46's on the (F)(G)(R) and (V). It wasn't until I moved to Forest Hills in 2007 or so that I actually needed the (G).

I lived right next to nothing really in Forest Hills. The QM12 was there, about a block from my door, but I didn't need Manhattan as much. Most of my travels consisted of using the Q53 or the train. Then I remember the Q21 being extended. In 2010, I got the notice that I had been priced out of my apartment, during the same time that my lease expired. I went and set out to finding another place better accomodated my transit.

In 2011, I moved to Middle Village, on the last day of the Q45's existence. The Q47 operated along that sectiom the following day. I've dealt with unreliable Q38 service, and it was the end of me. However, I started using the express buses more. I started familiarizing myself with the BM5, and QM15. For me, it was pretty convenient, since the buses started running to Queens around 10 AM, and the last run trip for each was at 4:06 for the BM5 on weekdays (5:06 PM on saturdays), and 6:23 for the QM15. Obviously, the BM5's span has been greatly reduced. I was also really pissed when they cut the 9:43 AM QM24, which was somewhat decent in ridership. I also began to use the Q67 more, because even though it was farther from me, it was much more reliable than the Q38 and faster than.the Q47 to Subway.

Anyways, not many expansions have happened here, except during this pick, where QM15 service on Saturdays ends later, which is good. I think I've covered everything from there.

I have memories back with the older Orion V's. A few years ago, I would get on the bus home, and that bus would be an Orion V with the coach bus seating and I would have a nice and comfortable ride home. When those buses started disappearing, I looked back to the days where they were still new. They bring back good memories. The 6000 series Orion V's seem like completely different buses to me compared to the older 100-600 series, and just don't feel the same to me. The old stop request sound was this light "ding" that I heard often, now I hear something completely different. A lot of things changed when the Orion VII's arrived, but now it's been 8 years since they first arrived. Time flies. 

I also remember riding Orion V's on Manhattan routes out of MCH before it was closed. Good times. 

I've spent of my life in Staten Island. As you probably can tell, I've used the S78 the most for a lot of my travels. Although it wasn't until middle school that I started riding the local buses more often, my biggest memories are riding the Orion V's with suburban seating and the RTSes.

As I got into my teens and high school, that's when I started fanning buses routes outside of Staten Island. I went to Seward Park High School, so I used the M9 (back when it used to pass by South Ferry), and the M15.

Let's see... what else?

Oh yeah, before my senior year, I started taking express buses. The routes I used/fanned most were the X1, X2, X10, X12, and X27.

Fast forward to 2010, I graduated from high school, moved to Brooklyn and went through a whole bunch of changes. I spent 2010-2013 (Actually, ten days until 2014) living in Crown Heights by the (2)(5) Sterling St station. The buses I used the most were the B44 and B49.

And now, I live off the (J)(Z) lines which I've been using religiously since I've started working. If I don't feel like taking the subway, I use the Q56 and occasionally the Q24.

To top it all off, my biggest memory was catching an MCI on the S89 last August. I even remember the bus number which was 2732.

I was born and raised in South Brooklyn (Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay area).  Lived there most of my life.  I rarely used public transit since I went to and from school and could walk there.  Sheepshead Bay Rd was a common for shopping.  I didn't start using public transit much until I was in junior high (went to the old IS43 which is now a specialized school "Bay Academy" located on the Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay border).  When I did use the bus I found myself using the B49 usually coming back from a friend's house in Manhattan Beach (towards the end of Manhattan Beach by Mac Kenzie St).  The B36 was common along Avenue Z and the B4 was pretty common to travel throughout Sheepshead Bay and also to hang out in Bay Ridge at another friend's place, and I had another buddy that spent time in Gravesend and in Sheepshead Bay (parents were split up so he had two different residences) who I would visit. I would also visit friends in Gerritsen Beach, but that was within walking distance of my high school so there was no need to take the B31. If anything I would use the B4 to get back home.  Other areas I would hang out in with friends who lived there include Mill Basin.  Would use the B3 along Avenue U from time to time.  We also had a friend who lived in Marine Park who would use the B2. Kings Plaza was a place we would frequent from time to time when I lived in Midwood.  Would use either the B2 or the B9 to get there.  Shopping was also done along Kings Highway and we'd use the B82 to the B49 if we had bags.  Late nights I would jump on the (Q) to go for walks along the boardwalk which was pretty cool. That was right before we moved to Staten Island permanently.

I didn't start using the subway until I was about 14 or 15 to go to the city via what is now the (B) and (Q).  Like most folks from my neighborhood, my family moved.  We went to Midwood briefly where I would use the B9 along Avenue L and on occasion the B6 to go to Bensonhurst to visit friends who lived there at the time.  My best friend at the time uprooted and moved to Staten Island (Tottenville), and eventually we moved to Staten Island too near Forest Avenue by the SI Zoo as the neighborhoods in South Brooklyn were changing.  At that time Staten Island was really nice, but I was there off and on as I was in college and in and out of the country.  

When I did come back, I would use the S48 to get to and from the ferry to get to work in the city during my college breaks.  Once I graduated college and came back from Europe (Florence, Italy), when I started working full time (at age 24), I eventually experimented with the X16 for a week.  I was out sick from work and decided I would try it out.  A co-worker of mine at the time who lived in Queens near Whitestone and used the QM2 told me about the Express Bus Plus Metrocard.  Once I heard about that I became an express bus rider and have been ever since.  I would remain on Staten Island for several more years, with the X1, X2, X9, X10, X11, X12, X13, X14, X15, X16, X17J, X30 and X42 all becoming routes that I would frequent as they were all a close ride away via car service or within walking distance to my residence.  Eventually I outgrew Staten Island and moved to another suburban area (Riverdale) where I currently live and still commute via the express bus (BxM1, BxM2, BxM18, and on occasion via the BxM3) and via Metro-North.  

Too late to edit my post above, but I meant to say ten days into 2014. I couldn't have been more happier living in Crown Heights. That neighborhood truly made me appreciate living in Brooklyn. Some time in the future, I might set out to move back there. Having the (2) and (5) and B44SBS really made getting around easy.

Too late to edit my post above, but I meant to say ten days into 2014. I couldn't have been more happier living in Crown Heights. That neighborhood truly made me appreciate living in Brooklyn. Some time in the future, I might set out to move back there. Having the (2) and (5) and B44SBS really made getting around easy.

LMAO... Poor you... Having to use the WORST local bus on Staten Island. I used to laugh waiting along Hylan for the X1 and seeing two S78's running back-to-back.  That route is not that frequent to begin with so seeing that you know how bad that route is.

LMAO... Poor you... Having to use the WORST local bus on Staten Island. I used to laugh waiting along Hylan for the X1 and seeing two S78's running back-to-back. That route is not that frequent to begin with so seeing that you know how bad that route is.

I mean, I got used to it after a while, but yes, that route was terrible. I started using the SIR as an alternative to get around.

I was born somewhere in Brooklyn but my family lived in Queens at the time. When I was 4 in 2001 we moved to South Flushing Queens. I have always been fascinated with buses and trains for some reason. I would always look out the window an watch as the Q25 and Q34 ran up and down my block. In the distance a block up I could see the Q64 (Q65A at the time) crossing Kissena on Jewel Ave and I always looked at the empty Q74 bus turn the corner at Queens College. When my mom would take me places in the city we would always take either the (E)(F) and or sometimes the (R) and (V). The fleet was always either a R46 or R32. So much has changed in a ten years span. I used to see the tan and dark red Jamaica bus lines, the white and green Green line buses, Triboro Coach, Queens Surface etc. I remember the Q10A, non Limited Q53 that ran through Rego Park, the old Q21 route, non limited versions of the Q6, Q36, Q25, Q65 the pre 2004 Q27 and so on. I remember when the MTA was retiring its oldest GMC buses back in 2003 and 04. I remember riding various RTS's buses on the Q17, Q88. I remember when Queens Village had Orion V's and I would see one on the Q88 once or twice a day. Those vintage black bus shelters with seats and had the Guide A Ride on them. Now we have Orange LCD or LED displays, Blue and white buses, glass bus shelters with either old or no info in them at all, All QBL lines run the R160 except the (R) which mostly uses R46's. I kinda miss that diversity we had back the. I just like the reliability of the service as a whole now. No more broken down Q6's or Q8's on Jamaica Ave. Well that is my story.

I was born at NY hospital-Weil Cornell (M72) and spent the first few years of my life living in Ft. Greene right across the street from the park (I remember them GMC RTSs on the B54 vividly). Moved to Cobble Hill right off Columbia St in about '95 (all B61 back when there were RTSs) then left there in about '97.

Spent a brief stint in the Rockaways on B. 69 St but I don't remember the Green Lines buses and moved on Howard Av & Fulton St. I remember the old B40 (always made a joke about going to P.S 40 with the B40 bus stop in front if the school lol), the 8600s with the Alcoa rims on the B25 and taking the (C) constantly, and moved to the Lower East Side somewhere around '00. I was there for 9/11 (saw the first plane myself), remember taking the old M14C before 9/11 (and the original route of the M14D) and when the D60s were brand new. Moved back to Bed-Stuy in '03 and was there when the OGs were brand new; first Inge I ever ride was 6566.

Between '05 and '11 I was back and forth between Bushwhick (B20, B26, Q24), and lived on my own for a while in Glendale on 61 St right off Fresh Pond Rd. High school I always caught the last 4300 RTS Flatbush had since the same driver almost always took it on the B46 in the mornings. Moved from there in '11 to my current place in Brownsville on the end of the B35.

I was born at NY hospital-Weil Cornell (M72) and spent the first few years of my life living in Ft. Greene right across the street from the park (I remember them GMC RTSs on the B54 vividly). Moved to Cobble Hill right off Columbia St in about '95 (all B61 back when there were RTSs) then left there in about '97.

Spent a brief stint in the Rockaways on B. 69 St but I don't remember the Green Lines buses and moved on Howard Av & Fulton St. I remember the old B40 (always made a joke about going to P.S 40 with the B40 bus stop in front if the school lol), the 8600s with the Alcoa rims on the B25 and taking the (C) constantly, and moved to the Lower East Side somewhere around '00. I was there for 9/11 (saw the first plane myself), remember taking the old M14C before 9/11 (and the original route of the M14D) and when the D60s were brand new. Moved back to Bed-Stuy in '03 and was there when the OGs were brand new; first Inge I ever ride was 6566.

Between '05 and '11 I was back and forth between Bushwhick (B20, B26, Q24), and lived on my own for a while in Glendale on 61 St right off Fresh Pond Rd. High school I always caught the last 4300 RTS Flatbush had since the same driver almost always took it on the B46 in the mornings. Moved from there in '11 to my current place in Brownsville on the end of the B35.

Jesus Christ. You give the word nomad a new meaning. lol

Well let's see. Where do I begin? I was born at the old LGA Hospital (now Forest Hills). I lived on Ferndale between Liverpool and Inwood, near the Q6 and 40. It wasn't until I was 5 or 6 I developed an interest the transit system. Started collecting maps when I was 6 or 7. Then I lived 167 St. I was probably closer to the Q4, 5, 9A, 84, 85 and N4 routes than the Q111/113 routes. I was down the block from IS 8 though. Then I moved the 174 St between 111 and Sayres, when the Q42 was my main bus. When it was slow as hell, the Merrick routes were our back up. I guess you could say, I lived near every route that started at Jamaica Center except for the Q83. Then in the mid '90's I moved to 158 St by 116 Av near Baisley PJ's. The Q111/113 became my main routes now. I moved up the block to 159 and Linden where I have been for the last 16 years. Saw the strikes in 2002 and 2005 and the takeover. All in all, I lived in Jamaica all my life. Never lived near a subway station

Lol no one said life would be easy

It has to be a PITA though... Expensive too... My move to Riverdale wasn't too expensive, but that's only because I moved myself with a U-Haul truck and had a friend help.  I bought most of my furniture new.  The only exception was my TV which was only a few months old and I already had other items new that I had bought in advance, but even then it was still a few hundred dollars just for the move... Gotta pay for renting the truck, putting gas in it, etc., plus I got an $80 ticket for supposedly running a red light while on Staten Island.  <_< Doesn't include the thousands you have to spend on brokers fees, money for furnishings, etc. I also didn't move right away which meant paying rent in two places.  Didn't want to move in the dead of winter so I waited an extra month. Not something I would want to be doing every other year.  The next move will be for purchase and I don't plan on moving for a while after that.  I would've liked to have just purchased immediately, but not knowing the area, I didn't want to take that risk.  Best to get a feel for the area first before doing anything like that.

Archived