•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * * - 3 votes

Conductor Exam # 6601 (Open-Competitive)

• Please log in to reply
    868 replies to this topic

#1 whatisacup

whatisacup
    • 4 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

So I've spent many hours today searching for an answer, so I thought I would ask.

I plan on signing up and possibly taking both exams coming up (Fall and Winter signup). I won't get into specifics, but I want to do everything I can to score very well.

I was at a bookstore the other day and decided to pick up a general Civil Service study guide. I opened it up and took some practice exams, they were not easy. My math skills are strong, however, I wouldn't consider myself a grammar expert. I didn't score all that well on the grammar usage section. 

I had my wife, who is a Harvard Law Grad and is currently a contract attorney, take a look. She didn't score as bad as me, but she did get some wrong and mentioned the tests were very difficult. A sample question that I found quite hard is :

Select the sentence that represents the best example of English grammar:

A .In Europe, scientists have found that the drastic changes in weather is in direct correlation to the increase in car use.

B .The Magic Castle in Hollywood have been declared a historic landmark by the City of Los Angeles.

C .There is a water shortage therefore waiters should only serve water to patrons on request instead of bringing water glasses to everyone at every table.

D. After years of serving the community, the local library will be shut down due to lack of funds.

I also found some spelling sections difficult as well.

Before I go overboard and spend time studying material that isn't relevant to the exams, I want to ask what should I expect on these tests? I've read those Passbooks are a waste of money, and a good resource for the Bus Operator test is a DMV study guide. 

Do the type of questions I mentioned above exist on the test? Also, do they have spelling/grammar sections? What kind of math questions (multiplying fractions?). What kind of questions and topics should I look into? I've read that the exam is very easy and is basic math and trip situation questions. Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm going to give these exams a shot, I want to do everything humanly possible to do well.

Thanks!

#2 whatisacup

whatisacup
    • 4 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

To continue my thought, when I mentioned "Passbooks are a waste of money, and a good resource for the Bus Operator test is a DMV study guide", I forgot to ask, is there a similar resource for the exams relevant to me?

#3 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,814 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

So I've spent many hours today searching for an answer, so I thought I would ask.

I plan on signing up and possibly taking both exams coming up (Fall and Winter signup). I won't get into specifics, but I want to do everything I can to score very well.

I was at a bookstore the other day and decided to pick up a general Civil Service study guide. I opened it up and took some practice exams, they were not easy. My math skills are strong, however, I wouldn't consider myself a grammar expert. I didn't score all that well on the grammar usage section. 

I had my wife, who is a Harvard Law Grad and is currently a contract attorney, take a look. She didn't score as bad as me, but she did get some wrong and mentioned the tests were very difficult. A sample question that I found quite hard is :

Select the sentence that represents the best example of English grammar:

A .In Europe, scientists have found that the drastic changes in weather is in direct correlation to the increase in car use.

B .The Magic Castle in Hollywood have been declared a historic landmark by the City of Los Angeles.

C .There is a water shortage therefore waiters should only serve water to patrons on request instead of bringing water glasses to everyone at every table.

D. After years of serving the community, the local library will be shut down due to lack of funds.

I also found some spelling sections difficult as well.

Before I go overboard and spend time studying material that isn't relevant to the exams, I want to ask what should I expect on these tests? I've read those Passbooks are a waste of money, and a good resource for the Bus Operator test is a DMV study guide. 

Do the type of questions I mentioned above exist on the test? Also, do they have spelling/grammar sections? What kind of math questions (multiplying fractions?). What kind of questions and topics should I look into? I've read that the exam is very easy and is basic math and trip situation questions. Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm going to give these exams a shot, I want to do everything humanly possible to do well.

Thanks!

At this point in time, when the Notices of Examinations are not even produced yet, I would look at the Old Notices of Examinations (http://www.nyc.gov/h...00808094000.pdf) and http://www.nyc.gov/h...00808098000.pdf). In addition, among the 55 pages of Transit Employment Topics (http://www.nyctransi...topicfilter=all), there should be at least one thread for those who took these exams back in 2008/2009. Hopefully that will help you.

Also, if I was you, just be patient. From my experience as a college graduate, the best time to study for anything is about 1 to 1 & 1/2 weeks before the actual exam. This way, the information stays fresh in your mind and you don't forget it.

I don't know about you or anybody else - but that's what I found most useful during my college career (except during finals).

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan, 12 July 2015 - 10:18 AM.

w-tt5.gif

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014 (https://www.youtube....?v=-sF89sIqzVQ)

Thank you for forming my forming my invaluable love, hobby & passion for (MTA) NYC Transit.

#4 MTAhopefullMatt

MTAhopefullMatt
    • Pip
    • 369 posts
    • LocationWestbury

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

I took the train operator exam back in 2009. I scored decently, 90%, but I kicked myself because I couldn't find any useful study guides. I felt sure I could have scored higher and gotten into the system sooner had I had an effective study method. Ah, well - that being said, from what I recall of the exam, it was mostly logical reasoning, reading comprehension, and general knowledge of NYC geography and the NYC subway system.

#5 whatisacup

whatisacup
    • 4 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

I took the train operator exam back in 2009. I scored decently, 90%, but I kicked myself because I couldn't find any useful study guides. I felt sure I could have scored higher and gotten into the system sooner had I had an effective study method. Ah, well - that being said, from what I recall of the exam, it was mostly logical reasoning, reading comprehension, and general knowledge of NYC geography and the NYC subway system.

What do you mean reading comprehension? Like read a paragraph and answer questions?

#6 MTAhopefullMatt

MTAhopefullMatt
    • Pip
    • 369 posts
    • LocationWestbury

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

Yes. It was all multiple choice.

#7 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,814 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

What do you mean reading comprehension? Like read a paragraph and answer questions?

Yes. It was all multiple choice.

From taking three O/C NYC Transit examinations so far, from what I remember, they give you plenty of time to take the exam and there is no memory portion. Therefore, if you need to, you can re-read the reading passages as many times as possible to get the correct answer. As previously stated, it is multiple-choice, therefore, if you practice any reading comprehension passages, along with some general test-taking skills, you should be fine.

w-tt5.gif

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014 (https://www.youtube....?v=-sF89sIqzVQ)

Thank you for forming my forming my invaluable love, hobby & passion for (MTA) NYC Transit.

#8 whatisacup

whatisacup
    • 4 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

Thanks a lot everyone! 

So I shouldn't worry about grammar questions like the one I listed on my first post?

#9 NYTech2000

NYTech2000
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 137 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

You want the truth? I didn't finish college and I took both exams. Got a 96 on the C/R and 92 on the T/O and I took the exams on a whim just because I wanted to get out of retail. I did not even know there were study guides to them until well after I took the exams and had no clue what I was walking into when taking them. As for reading comprehension granted my reading levels hit college levels once I got to JHS so apparently that isn't typical. That being said there were many people who scored better than I did and got into transit well before me. Those grades will get you called for both titles btw.

The hardest questions for me were what street is the empire state building? What borough are yankee stadium and citifield? I don't really get out much so had little exposure to the landmarks. The rest of the test... well can you read a subway map and be able to tell me the quickest way from point a to point b via transfers? How about some of that reading comprehension everyone talks about. Transit rules are conductors cannot wear shorts but bus operators can. So what if it's hot out it's ok to wear shorts as a conductor right? What about sunglasses? A trick too is look at these questions and think what would a manager look for in an employee. Granted not all questions are just cut and dry easy looking at it that way but for the most part it does help.

Some questions I looked at and thought it was either a trick question or a joke. Really the test is pretty easy. You are working yourself up over nothing. Once you are in the promotion exams are another story you will need to study for them. I took the ATD exam as my first promotion exam and I have to say although it wasn't a hard test, you really need to know what the job basically entails or at least what it involves compared to other titles. That takes time and studying. Granted I passed but not nearly as high as an open competitive exam for the sake of comparison.

I will say though the last batch of tests were handled by DCAS these new ones are handled by MTA and from what I am seeing so far from the NOE's the new tests are looking a little stricter in their requirements but still for an open competitive exam they do not expect you to know anything about transit and all the questions that ask you about any of that there will be the answer somewhere in the exam itself beforehand (like the rules on shorts).

At least that is my honest opinion on a realistic view of the exams. Maybe someone here in transit can give you a better idea what to expect for the exams but that is what I remember from them.

As for your first post example my guess is D. I dunno the answer and to be honest I don't remember much on sentence structure but A seems not quite right, B looks like a run on sentence and C has too many things capitalized (who capitalizes the word city anyway?) Thankfully that has nothing to do with the actual exam.

#10 Bronx Bound D

Bronx Bound D
    • 15 posts
    • LocationBronx NY

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hi all,

My name is Abel and this is my first time taking an open competitive exam.

I actually have a Train Operator passbook (had it since i was 16). I know, i really have a passion for this career. Anyways, i have glanced at it many times and found some really resourceful things on what to expect when entering the field, including the reading comprehension. Over the years i've scored from about 82-100%. I think my last practice exam was back to a 92%. It had some very bizarre questions regarding quarts, pints, and measurements that porters use and i honestly don't do that well when it comes to conversions.

Here are some questions i have:

1) Should i expect to find math problems, (such as the one i mentioned) on the test? Or any math questions at all?

2) How long would it take to receive my score? What comes afterwards? Is the hiring process a long wait?

3) I have done community service for about a Year (2013-2014), my current job is a seasonal temp at 1199, and as of now, as a reward for my hard work and dedication, my supervisor recommended me for another job as a transport for patients. I am also going to college full time. Will this be good enough experience for the TA to even consider me for Train Operator? Will my rank be good enough to even be eligible?

I do not mean to Bombard any of you with questions. I have looked at some links with detailed descriptions regarding my questions and concerns, but if anyone here could answer them in the simplest way possible, I would appreciate that. Something to take a quick glance at least. I just simply do not have the time on my plate to look at long descriptions, but i am very serious about what I want, and will do anything I can to be successful. Thank You and god bless to anyone who can help me. 

Regards,

Abel