Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spoke to a T/O at Rockaway Park today. He basically confirmed what another poster had posted earlier: there is HUGE turnover at the conductor position. They call up 2,000 or so a year but then only 450 want the job, and the rest are no longer interested or DQ'd for various reasons. The reason for the turnover, he told me, is that everybody wants to promote up from C/R. Turnovers for T/O are much fewer. It used to be that the Bus Operator and Conductor exam were combined. When you applied, you were applying for both. Today it is separate. If you're disciplined at a higher post, they bust you down to C/R. If you're already a C/R and you're disciplined, there's no lower post to go down to; they just dump you.

Anyway, I look to be in pretty good shape if the turnover is that swift. Even if my list number is in the 2,000-3,000 range, I can expect to get called up in about two years, and the list is good for four. Looks like 6 wrong ain't so bad after all :)

this information is wrong. If you're a T/O you can only get demoted to C/R if you were one previously. If you weren't one previously, you're getting demoted to cleaner if you're not fired. C/R can get demoted to cleaners, they just aren't fired flat out. Also, when I was hired originally as a conductor, I had one question wrong. Took the test in 2008 and got hired in 2012. So I don't know about the getting hired in two years with 6 wrong. Edited by Y2Julio

Also, when I was hired originally as a conductor, I had one question wrong. Took the test in 2008 and got hired in 2012. So I don't know about the getting hired in two years with 6 wrong.

Wasn't that because of the hiring freeze that was in effect? In #615 in this thread, and the subsequent posts, we have MTAhopefullMatt saying pretty much the same thing as the T/O I spoke with. Obviously, if they're right, I ought to get a letter in about 2 years.

Wasn't that because of the hiring freeze that was in effect? In #615 in this thread, and the subsequent posts, we have MTAhopefullMatt saying pretty much the same thing as the T/O I spoke with. Obviously, if they're right, I ought to get a letter in about 2 years.

Maybe, maybe not. They gotta get through the promotions to C/R first and that can take a year or more and they haven't even started. Not to mention they are still hiring from the 2008 exam too. One thing I can tell you for sure is that every other day I'm hearing the RCC ask if conductors want to work an extra day, call the crew office. I only used to hear that For T/O's. So it would appear the Transit Authority is still short on C/R's even though they haven't stopped hiring for the longest now. I think the C/R's they are hiring now have scored in the high 80's or low 90's and they started hiring from that list back in 2011 or 2012.

Edited by Xentor

Part of that info is correct, part is not.

C/R promotes to a lot of titles and many have been taking promotions (to Tower Operator, ATD, and Train Operator) leaving a void to fill. There are also a lot of C/R's retiring, as well as a lot of ATD's and Tower Operators, creating vacancies in all of those titles.

T/O only promotes to Dispatcher (TD) or TSS (Train Service Supervisor). While there have been retirements in both titles and Train Operator, it is not to the degree there has been in C/R, ATD, and TW/O.

A lot of fairly new C/R's have also taken tests for other civil service positions and resign from C/R if called for those other positions because of the higher starting pay. Train Operators have much higher starting pay that is closer to top pay and therefore this is less likely for them.

They do NOT call "2000" CR's a year. Yes, it's true, the vast majority don't get appointed, that's true for all service. People move away, get sick, die, become uninterested in getting the job, fail drug tests, forget to update their mailing address or follow up, miss their call date despite getting the letter in the mail and fail to follow up, decide the job isn't for them after coming in for the call, get rejected through medical, get rejected based on their personal history or faulty paperwork. It happens.

In a "full" month of hiring, typically 40 C/R's are hired a month, although I've been told that sometimes that number goes higher. 40x12 months = 480 CR's are offered employment. Again, this would be just about the maximum possible. To generate that many in a class, somehere between 1200-1500 would receive letters to come in.

Mind you, it's extremely rare for 12 months of full 40 C/R classes getting hired. So in reality the number has been closer to 900-1200 a year called in, for the duration of the current C/R list*.

*Past results do not guarantee similar outcomes on future lists

Edited by SubwayGuy

you need to stop giving out wrong information, you clearly are trying to make yourself feel better and give yourself false hopes into being called. let the list come out, for gods sake and then you will know better! STOP GIVING OUT FALSE INFORMATION!

I just spoke to a T/O at Rockaway Park today. He basically confirmed what another poster had posted earlier: there is HUGE turnover at the conductor position. They call up 2,000 or so a year but then only 450 want the job, and the rest are no longer interested or DQ'd for various reasons. The reason for the turnover, he told me, is that everybody wants to promote up from C/R. Turnovers for T/O are much fewer. It used to be that the Bus Operator and Conductor exam were combined. When you applied, you were applying for both. Today it is separate. If you're disciplined at a higher post, they bust you down to C/R. If you're already a C/R and you're disciplined, there's no lower post to go down to; they just dump you.

Anyway, I look to be in pretty good shape if the turnover is that swift. Even if my list number is in the 2,000-3,000 range, I can expect to get called up in about two years, and the list is good for four. Looks like 6 wrong ain't so bad after all :)

you need to stop giving out wrong information, you clearly are trying to make yourself feel better and give yourself false hopes into being called. let the list come out, for gods sake and then you will know better! STOP GIVING OUT FALSE INFORMATION

you need to stop giving out wrong information, you clearly are trying to make yourself feel better and give yourself false hopes into being called. let the list come out, for gods sake and then you will know better! STOP GIVING OUT FALSE INFORMATION

I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I just wanted to know if it is realistic for me to be called and I wanted to compare what the different views and informations were out there. But please don't accuse me of falsehoods. The numbers were given by other members on the board, not me. I merely asked questions. I have no information to give out, false or not. I merely asked questions and quoted what others said. I have no idea what you're talking about, ok?

I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I just wanted to know if it is realistic for me to be called and I wanted to compare what the different views and informations were out there. But please don't accuse me of falsehoods. The numbers were given by other members on the board, not me. I merely asked questions. I have no information to give out, false or not. I merely asked questions and quoted what others said. I have no idea what you're talking about, ok?

First of all, apology accepted. From this point forward, just stop it, okay?

Second, whether you talk to a Train Operator or Conductor in person, or whether an experienced Train Operator or Conductor posts something on this site, it is only from prior experience. Even the last sentence of this post clearly states: "Past results do not guarantee similar outcomes on future lists." Therefore, at this point, regardless of who says what, nothing is official until the list comes out, and then we will take it from there.

Third, do any of you want me, or the other moderators, to start giving out warning points over this nonsense? It will be done, if necessary...

Second, whether you talk to a Train Operator or Conductor in person, or whether an experienced Train Operator or Conductor posts something on this site, it is only from prior experience. Even the last sentence of this post clearly states: "Past results do not guarantee similar outcomes on future lists." Therefore, at this point, regardless of who says what, nothing is official until the list comes out, and then we will take it from there.

Third, do any of you want me, or the other moderators, to start giving out warning points over this nonsense? It will be done, if necessary...

moderator to the rescue!!!

thank you!!

Seems extreme...I just wanted information from informed sources and then discuss that information with knowledgeable members here. Isn't that what this thread is for?

Seems extreme...I just wanted information from informed sources and then discuss that information with knowledgeable members here. Isn't that what this thread is for?

So then see my previous post. I don't post misinformation here. If you just ask a random T/O or C/R, they may not know. They are not associated with the hiring process. I do my own legwork to stay informed on the issues I post on. You'll never see me answering things or giving info in a bus operator or station agent discussion for example, because I don't know the answers on those titles.

Edited by SubwayGuy

moderator to the rescue!!!

thank you!!

You're welcome.

So then see my previous post. I don't post misinformation here. If you just ask a random T/O or C/R, they may not know. They are not associated with the hiring process. I do my own legwork to stay informed on the issues I post on. You'll never see me answering things or giving info in a bus operator or station agent discussion for example, because I don't know the answers on those titles.

It's not extreme, at this point we have no further information, and you folks are saying things without a legitimate source, that's all.

Even for the other civil service exams I took with DCAS, such as CUNY Office Assistant, Staff Analyst Trainee, Clerical Aide, etc., the score that I obtained on the actual exam is useless until I receive my list number in the mail. Once I receive my list number, after 6 months or a year, I can call DCAS, see how many people they've hired so far, and then take an educated guess based on the statistics from DCAS. You folks are just saying and arguing over things when the list isn't out yet.

Finally, do any of you folks want me to lock this thread until the list comes out? If you folks continue with this behavior, it will be done, in addition to warning points...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Editing...

Finally, do any of you folks want me to lock this thread until the list comes out? If you folks continue with this behavior, it will be done, in addition to warning points...

Why would you do that? All we're doing is asking questions, and getting some informed observations. Nobody is calling insults or flaming. We all just want info. We know, we know, it's all speculative at this point, and nothing anyone posts here will change anything, but then again it's not like the MTA will tell us what their hiring rate is or how many people they hire off any given list (except after they already call people from a list) or even how long a list lasts. They told me at the protest session this list will be good for 4 years. You're right, nobody knows anything at this point. So all we have to go on is what happened in years past. Speaking for myself, with a score like 92, I would like to think I have a realistic chance of making the cut. Which is WHY it is encouraging to hear other people say that the turnover at conductor is swift and that a range of several hundred people or more are sent letters each year. I really don't see the harm in reading different experiences people in the know have had with this hiring process, it's all part of the marketplace of ideas, right? Locking the thread means people won't have they ability to share their knowledge, and penalizing them will simply inhibit people from contributing potentially valuable viewpoints. Officiousness usually results in that.

I want to thank you for those posts, they were encouraging and informative. Edited by ren

Why would you do that? All we're doing is asking questions, and getting some informed observations. Nobody is calling insults or flaming. We all just want info. We know, we know, it's all speculative at this point, and nothing anyone posts here will change anything, but then again it's not like the MTA will tell us what their hiring rate is or how many people they hire off any given list (except after they already call people from a list) or even how long a list lasts. They told me at the protest session this list will be good for 4 years. You're right, nobody knows anything at this point. So all we have to go on is what happened in years past. Speaking for myself, with a score like 92, I would like to think I have a realistic chance of making the cut. Which is WHY it is encouraging to hear other people say that the turnover at conductor is swift and that a range of several hundred people or more are sent letters each year. I really don't see the harm in reading different experiences people in the know have had with this hiring process, it's all part of the marketplace of ideas, right?

YOU DO have a very legitimate chance with you're score, absolutely. It's YoungNYCSubwayFan's job as mod to lock tired discussions though and that's why he's reviewing it. I for one don't think you posted misleading information, just something you heard or talked about with someone. SubwayGuy along with other posters have posted various scenarios and facts to keep us going until any new developments unfold. So let's see what may come out of this and not piss off the moderators as there IS worthwhile info on this thread.

Why would you do that?

IMHO, cause you folks are getting out of control over nonsense. And in about 5 or 6 years, when the next open-competitive Conductor exam comes out, and people are trying to read through this thread to try to find valuable information, and instead they read over this nonsense and arguing that you folks have been doing, not only are they going to be wasting time getting their valuable information, which is IMHO priceless, but it's also going to look bad for the entire website!!

Get my point?

IMHO, cause you folks are getting out of control over nonsense. And in about 5 or 6 years, when the next open-competitive Conductor exam comes out, and people are trying to read through this thread to try to find valuable information, and instead they read over this nonsense and arguing that you folks have been doing, not only are they going to be wasting time getting their valuable information, which is IMHO priceless, but it's also going to look bad for the entire website!!

Get my point?

Yes, you're right. I see your point. I guess I overlooked that.

YOU DO have a very legitimate chance with you're score, absolutely. It's YoungNYCSubwayFan's job as mod to lock tired discussions though and that's why he's reviewing it. I for one don't think you posted misleading information, just something you heard or talked about with someone. SubwayGuy along with other posters have posted various scenarios and facts to keep us going until any new developments unfold. So let's see what may come out of this and not piss off the moderators as there IS worthwhile info on this thread.

Subwayfan, SubwayGuy, and Niku did have a point though. Looking on the outside from a non-biased realistic standpoint it does seem a bit misleading to suggest that they'd hire up to/over 2000 people within the first two years. It did seem like he was trying to soften the blow to make himself feel better for his score, and that's totally understandable. However, like it was mentioned earlier in this thread a score less than a 94/5 isn't anything to be excited about on an exam as competitive as this one, he just has to be realistic that's all. Like subwayfan said it's the list number that we should be worried about and then from there.

Anyways, at this point it's like we're beating a dead horse.

Hopefully if I get called in with 1 wrong and a bunch of conductors (including you :D ) move up to Train Operator within these next few years I can have some seniority and be able to pick a decent job preferably on the (A) so I can work on those new trains. I browsed this site and viewed the employee threads and it seems like being extra extra is brutal lol.

Oh yeah, any word on the status on the promotion to conductor and train operator exams? I know the current exams have to expire first, but have employees received their scores and list numbers yet?