Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the pdf file, how do I send it to u?

Send me a PM using the full editor. There, you are able to attach the PDF document.

If you're not "tech-savvy", let me know and I'll walk you through the process.

Thanks in advance...

Hi, this book is confusing since it is bus operator missed with conductor exam, I only need a conductor book.

I want to become a conductor then train operator or also known as motorman.

I want to spend al lot of years as condutor any idea on book that s super good. I really want to get 90 on this exam.

Good luck to other too

Does anyone happen to know if there's any new study material out? And if so, where can I pick up any? I've heard that some of the libraries carry the passbooks.

The passbooks are just a waste of time....try some "general" study material. That should do the trick.

Hi all,

My name is Abel and this is my first time taking an open competitive exam.

I actually have a Train Operator passbook (had it since i was 16). I know, i really have a passion for this career. Anyways, i have glanced at it many times and found some really resourceful things on what to expect when entering the field, including the reading comprehension. Over the years i've scored from about 82-100%. I think my last practice exam was back to a 92%. It had some very bizarre questions regarding quarts, pints, and measurements that porters use and i honestly don't do that well when it comes to conversions.

Here are some questions i have:

1) Should i expect to find math problems, (such as the one i mentioned) on the test? Or any math questions at all?

2) How long would it take to receive my score? What comes afterwards? Is the hiring process a long wait?

3) I have done community service for about a Year (2013-2014), my current job is a seasonal temp at 1199, and as of now, as a reward for my hard work and dedication, my supervisor recommended me for another job as a transport for patients. I am also going to college full time. Will this be good enough experience for the TA to even consider me for Train Operator? Will my rank be good enough to even be eligible?

I do not mean to Bombard any of you with questions. I have looked at some links with detailed descriptions regarding my questions and concerns, but if anyone here could answer them in the simplest way possible, I would appreciate that. Something to take a quick glance at least. I just simply do not have the time on my plate to look at long descriptions, but i am very serious about what I want, and will do anything I can to be successful. Thank You and god bless to anyone who can help me. 

Regards,

Abel

HI,  i think if you get close to 100, the process will take faster and if score 80 and under , it will take more than two year. A lot of conduction are promoting to train operator or retiring so i think this year will be fast. It will take 8 month to three year to join the mta. Good luck to you. Try to know all location of popular place in this new york and wish you the best:) 

So it is true that there will be an oral proficiency test.

Oral Proficiency Assessment: If you pass the multiple-choice test, you will be scheduled to take the qualifying oral proficiency assessment as vacancies occur. However, based on the projected number of vacancies, it is possible that not all candidates who pass the multiple-choice test will be scheduled for the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. A score of 70% is required to pass the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. You will be required to pay an additional fee of $25.00 prior to taking the oral proficiency assessment. Failure to pay the additional fee on the date that you are scheduled to take the oral proficiency assessment will result in disqualification from further participation in the appointment process. The additional fee for the oral proficiency assessment will be waived for candidates who demonstrate that they are unemployed or receiving public assistance at the time of the assessment. In the qualifying oral proficiency assessment, you may be required to demonstrate the following abilities: Oral Comprehension - The ability to understand spoken English words and sentences. Oral Expression - The ability to use English words or sentences in speaking so others will understand. Memorization - The ability to remember information, such as words, numbers, pictures, and procedures. Pieces of information can be remembered by themselves or with other pieces of information. Speed of Closure -The ability to combine and organize different pieces of information into one meaningful pattern quickly. It is not known beforehand what the pattern will be. The material may be visual or auditory.

what is that? and now wonder the exam is 61  dollar now. if you look at 2008 conductor exam is 41  dollar, didn't we pay the money yet or no, we paid at the test center, this so confusing?. the exam are a little bit easy and hard toward the end. why we do we need to take this english test, it just so annoying, the recent conductor are so lucky. i don't  even  understand some conductor because of their accent

That's most likely why this new system is in place, because many conductors aren't understood. That just in my opinion though because I don't see why else. Unless it's a new scheme to pick and choose who they want and basically eliminate the "who scored the highest gets hired" system. This way they have an excuse not to hire certain people and have a legit excuse not to.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but if you score 80 on this exam, you're not getting called. Unless MAYBE if you're a veteran AND get legacy credit for losing a parent or other relative in the line of civil service duty (in which case your overall score would be 90).

You should be aiming for 90 or better to have a reasonable shot of getting called.

92 or better to be "likely" to get called.

94 or better to almost definitely be called.

Edited by SubwayGuy

@Jsalcedo, I'm thinking the "oral proficiency exam" requirement is a legitimate attempt to address the problem of conductors who can't be understood, and also gives them an opportunity to effectively engage in a face to face interview with applicants. The applicants must initially score decently on the written exam to be eligible for that face-to-face interview, but then more subjective factors can come into play.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but if you score 80 on this exam, you're not getting called. Unless MAYBE if you're a veteran AND get legacy credit for losing a parent or other relative in the line of civil service duty (in which case your overall score would be 90).

You should be aiming for 90 or better to have a reasonable shot of getting called.

I agree 100%, especially with the high number of people that already applied...this will definitely be highly competitive.

I think (far) more people applied for this exam than any prior open competitive exam. 180 Livingston was a madhouse in the days before the filing deadline.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Here's why, from a mathematical prospective:

According to this, there are eight [8] examination dates. On each examination date, there could be two sessions, an AM session and a PM session. If each session at one school holds 3,000 candidates, arguments sake, then on a single day, 6,000 candidates could take the examination. If we multiply this number times eight, then we are looking at approximately 48,000 candidates for one school.

If this happens at two schools, then we are looking at close to 100,000 people for this examination.

If this is correct, then no wonder 180 Livingston Street was a madhouse...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Here's why, from a mathematical prospective:

According to this, there are eight [8] examination dates. On each examination date, there could be two sessions, an AM session and a PM session. If each session at one school holds 3,000 candidates, arguments sake, then on a single day, 6,000 candidates could take the examination. If we multiply this number times eight, then we are looking at approximately 48,000 candidates for one school.

If this happens at two schools, then we are looking at close to 100,000 people for this examination.

If this is correct, then no wonder 180 Livingston Street was a madhouse...

wow thats crazy

Yep...well, with the Track Worker 3600 list having about 12,500 candidates, the Bus Operator 4600 list having approximately 8,000 names (which was probably higher before the BOSS was given), I'm not surprised..

I'm surprised they don't use the boss exam for the conductor exam coming out. It would ween a lot of people out of contention. 

Edited by tdevon2012

I'm surprised they don't use the boss exam for the conductor exam coming out. It would ween a lot of people out of contention. 

Liability.

If they use the Boss on the "right" candidate(s) to eliminate him/her for a Conductor position, they could be hit with a lawsuit that could end up costing them a bus load of money (pun intended). We live in a super litigious society where the only thing better than landing a "good job" is landing a good lawsuit settlement,

Edited by TechTone

Do they just use the BOSS for bus driver exams?

I'm only assuming that they do. Not being a wise azz but It's a "Bus Operator Selection Survey" so I would imagine they would only use it to weed out Bus driver applicants. That doesn't mean one of the higher ups wouldn't try to use that tool to weed out conductor or train operator applicants but those are totally different jobs so my guess is if they did use that tool to weed out applicants for any other position, they would be opening themselves up for possible law suits.

All you need is the "right person" to get disqualified for a CONDUCTOR job based on a BUS OPERATOR survey and Sh!t could easily hit the fan.

More people looking for a "good" lawsuit than looking for a "good job". The world we live in

Liability.

If they use the Boss on the "right" candidate(s) to eliminate him/her for a Conductor position, they could be hit with a lawsuit that could end up costing them a bus load of money (pun intended). We live in a super litigious society where the only thing better than landing a "good job" is landing a good lawsuit settlement,

I see your point lol. 

Damn, that kinda harsh, i can see why there so much people applying. 

My passion is to become a t/o, but possibly will be able to do it due to my right ear disability. I heard alright from left but right ear has issue.

Damn, that kinda harsh, i can see why there so much people applying.

Focus on the things that you can control, and tune out the things you can't.

You control your test score, and that's it. Don't worry about how many people are taking the exam, it does you absolutely no good at all. Just focus, make sure your reading comprehension, NYC area geography, and military time are up to snuff, and knock it out of the park. All the rest is noise.