M86 bus beats legs — again — in crosstown challenge

Harry

post-5097-0-38763500-1436878811_thumb.jpg
The bus won — again. A common complaint about crosstown buses in Manhattan is that walking is often faster; they crawl through traffic and sit idle at stops as throngs of riders dip their MetroCards, one by one. In the past, Newsers have taken on the challenge of walking across town faster than a bus. None has succeeded — and neither did I. A new, speedier service debuted Monday on 86th St. — the busiest route, mile for mile, in the city. It clocked an average of 4.6 mph in the Straphangers Campaign’s 2014 Pokey Awards for the slowest buses. My brisk New Yorker walking style was unable to keep up for long with the massive, accordion-style M86 Select bus.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-38763500-1436878811_thumb.jpg

Yeah well all I know is my commute was almost two hours this morning. The traffic was insane and it didn't help that the driver took every way possible to sit in more traffic.  Boarding is slightly faster on SBS, but if traffic is horrible, the time savings will be negligible.

Yeah well all I know is my commute was almost two hours this morning. The traffic was insane and it didn't help that the driver took every way possible to sit in more traffic.  Boarding is slightly faster on SBS, but if traffic is horrible, the time savings will be negligible.

I mean, it's not like a dispatcher can wave a magic traffic wand and make all the problems go away. Bus lanes in congested areas would take the buses out of any traffic, but we all know how well bus lanes go down in certain parts of the city and with a certain class of people.

Well, I'm a jogger. I never really walk anywhere since I'm always in a hurry. And being in a hurry, I'd always beat the bus. I regularly make brisk trips between Coney Island and Brighton Beach and beat the (Q) on foot. An 8 minute head way isn't short enough to make it worth taking a train a few stops.

Well, I'm a jogger. I never really walk anywhere since I'm always in a hurry. And being in a hurry, I'd always beat the bus. I regularly make brisk trips between Coney Island and Brighton Beach and beat the (Q) on foot. An 8 minute head way isn't short enough to make it worth taking a train a few stops.

lol... Well I know who not to be near on a hot day like this.... 

What I want to know is, does the person stop the same amount of time as the bus when the bus has to pick up/drop off riders? I mean of course a bus stopping to load/unload at every block is going to be slow. CPW and lexington av are also choke points because of the subway riders waiting to get on. I am glad the m86 is an sbs line for the off board payment. Now there won't be a long line to get to the front of the bus as the back doors are empty. Too many times with the d60hf buses, people would still be getting off from the front than going to the back. 

Archived