State and City DOT are a Bad Joke

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2015/07/commute-state-city-dot-bad-joke/

THE COMMUTE: Confusing signage near where the Belt Parkway separates from the Gowanus Expressway has been misleading commuters for months — sending baffled Belt-bound drivers over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. However, because the left lane switches to a high-occupancy vehicle lane during the day, the state Department of Transit (DOT) claims little can be done to change the signs until roadwork near the exit finishes in August...

Your first statement is over-exaggerated to the fullest, though I can still agree with the horrible signs in that area. I say it's over-exaggerated because the Belt Parkway ramp CLEARLY has a down slope and that left lane has an up slope so even without signs, you can make out where what goes (this is for people who regularly commute the Gowanus Expressway).

If I recall, when that lane is used for southbound traffic, doesn't it merge back into the other three lanes after the 6 Av exit? If it still does, you aren't automatically driving over the Verrazano, you'd have at least 2 or 3 more exits to get out...even more so get on the Belt again after exiting 92nd St.

Your first statement is over-exaggerated to the fullest, though I can still agree with the horrible signs in that area. I say it's over-exaggerated because the Belt Parkway ramp CLEARLY has a down slope and that left lane has an up slope so even without signs, you can make out where what goes (this is for people who regularly commute the Gowanus Expressway).

If I recall, when that lane is used for southbound traffic, doesn't it merge back into the other three lanes after the 6 Av exit? If it still does, you aren't automatically driving over the Verrazano, you'd have at least 2 or 3 more exits to get out...even more so get on the Belt again after exiting 92nd St.

You seem to forget that the purpose of signage isn't to inform regular travelers how to get where they are going. Yes, knowing the exit is on a downslope is the only way I can find it since the signage is useless. Those who are new to the road or don't use it that frequently do not know that and they are the ones who are confused and stop and ar likely to cause an accident. So I don't believe I am exaggerating at all.

The same is true about those who regularly use the road know they can get off before the bridge and find an alternate longer route to the Belt. Still many only know about the direct exit and do notwant to navigate local streets especially at night if they are not familiar with the neighborhood.

The way you've worded the article claims that once you take the left lane, you're automatically on the bridge and theirs no going back. There are numerous signs on the Gowanus after that section that states it's the roadway to Verrazano, so if one were to make the mistake, they would know before hitting the last exit. Even the last exit states its the last exit in Brooklyn before the bridge approach.

The way you've worded the article claims that once you take the left lane, you're automatically on the bridge and theirs no going back. There are numerous signs on the Gowanus after that section that states it's the roadway to Verrazano, so if one were to make the mistake, they would know before hitting the last exit. Even the last exit states its the last exit in Brooklyn before the bridge approach.

I hear what you are saying but even if you get off at one of those exits, there are no clear signs to the Belt, except I think at 92 St. Without a GPS if you wanted the Belt, how would you even know to get off at 92 Street? And once you get off, you have to make six more turns, so it is not easy at night especially if you are not familiar with the neighborhood.

I'm not necessarily saying they'll know how to get to the Belt from those exits, but I'm sure the roads will let them know not to enter the bridge if not intending to.

You are correct, but I don't see your point. I never said they would end up on the bridge if they used that lane. I was just saying it had no designation so no one knew where it went and if they wanted the Belt, that lane wouldn't take them there.

Archived