LIRR station announcers are making $200K a year

Via Garibaldi 8

LIRR station announcers are making $200k a year

By Aaron Short

July 26, 2015 | 6:00am

060415_belmontlirr_emk_013.jpg?w=720&h=4
Photo: Ellis Kaplan

Now arriving — gigantic paydays for LIRR train-station announcers.

Four Long Island Rail Road “ushers” each collected more than $200,000 last year in taxpayer-subsidized salaries, state payroll records show.

The $35-an-hour workers — who in addition to their primary duty at the microphones of Penn Station, Jamaica Station and Atlantic Terminal put train information onto schedule boards and help deliver interoffice mail — more than doubled their base salaries by ushering in hundreds of hours in overtime.

Queens resident Donald Philbert, 62, hauled in $234,014 last year, which included $112,596 in overtime on top of his $73,705 base salary and a $47,730 sum in retroactive pay won in last year’s labor settlement, railroad rec­ords show.

Three other ushers got overtime and retroactive pay that made up two-thirds of their total salaries last year, according to LIRR records.

Thomas Meredith, 71, of New Hyde Park, LI, pulled in $204,580, of which $93,497 was overtime and $41,327 was retroactive pay.

Queens resident Nathan Douglas, 49, grabbed $201,232, of which $86,296 was overtime and $39,941 was retroactive pay.

And Termaine Garden Jr., 31, of West Hempstead, LI, pocketed $201,253, including $88,729 in overtime and $37,940 in retroactive pay.

Of the 29 ushers the Long Island Rail Road employed last year, 18 were paid more than $100,000. The ushers worked a total of 22,068 hours of overtime in 2014, an average of 761 hours, or 19 weeks of work, worth an extra $39,572 annually for each worker.

LIRR spokesman Salvatore Arena said ushers were working longer hours because they were covering for absent co-workers and staying on to assist customers during frequent service disruptions.

The railroad is teeming with workers making six figures — including 131 who pulled down more than $200,000 last year, according to state records. Bridge and building foreman Kevin Webb had the fattest paycheck at $297,535.

Richly paid railroad employees have invited scrutiny in the past.

As many as 1,500 LIRR retirees submitted false disability claims — almost all of them approved — in a decade-long fraud scheme that cost riders and state taxpayers more than $1 billion. The FBI busted 33 officials, including a former LIRR union president, in the scam, which unraveled in 2011.

Source: http://nypost.com/2015/07/26/lirr-station-announcers-are-making-200k-a-year/

More nonsense from the press. You don't make $200k "a year" when a 25% of the amount is a one time lump sum for what they should have earned years past. More accurately is they made over 200 in 2014.

I think they have a valid point about all of the OT.  It seems that it would be cheaper to just hire another person rather than pay that much over time. 

I think they have a valid point about all of the OT.  It seems that it would be cheaper to just hire another person rather than pay that much over time.

Nope its quite the opposite. More employees means more pension and health contributions from the RR. Its cheaper just to pay the OT. That business 101.

Nope its quite the opposite. More employees means more pension and health contributions from the RR. Its cheaper just to pay the OT. That business 101.

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that I'm in the private sector where employees generally don't receive elaborate pensions.

You have to remember, some overtime is mandatory for any 24/7 operation (unlike the private sector). Trains don't stop running on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc, while much of the private sector is having dinner with their loved ones.

On the other side of the coin I know many in the private sector that receive elaborate bonuses and I almost forgot, their earnings aren't a mater of public record for the jealous ones to criticize.

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that I'm in the private sector where employees generally don't receive elaborate pensions.

The private sector is where this practice is notorious. But instead of saving on pension and health contributions , they fire and don't hire replacements for the simple fact to keep more money in their own pocket.

You have to remember, some overtime is mandatory for any 24/7 operation (unlike the private sector). Trains don't stop running on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc, while much of the private sector is having dinner with their loved ones.

On the other side of the coin I know many in the private sector that receive elaborate bonuses and I almost forgot, their earnings aren't a mater of public record for the jealous ones to criticize.

The private sector is completely different and you know it.  The private sector isn't using taxpayer dollars like the (MTA) is.  That's a big difference.   Additionally, the idea of pensions still existing is ridiculous.  They are a huge drain on the (MTA) .  We in the private sector are given bonuses based on merit and on talent.  You and I know that there are plenty of (MTA) jobs that don't require any elaborate education or skills.  If you can pass a test you can get in. Big deal.

The private sector is where this practice is notorious. But instead of saving on pension and health contributions , they fire and don't hire replacements for the simple fact to keep more money in their own pocket.

That is not true.  Pensions are a dying breed in the private sector because they are costly.  Even matching 401ks are dying out.  The company I work for currently allocated monies into a retirement account for employees, but the previous company I worked for did no such thing, though we did receive bonuses.

The private sector is completely different and you know it.  The private sector isn't using taxpayer dollars like the (MTA) is.  That's a big difference.   Additionally, the idea of pensions still existing is ridiculous.  They are a huge drain on the (MTA) .  We in the private sector are given bonuses based on merit and on talent.  You and I know that there are plenty of (MTA) jobs that don't require any elaborate education or skills.  If you can pass a test you can get in. Big deal.

That is not true.  Pensions are a dying breed in the private sector because they are costly.  Even matching 401ks are dying out.  The company I work for currently allocated monies into a retirement account for employees, but the previous company I worked for did no such thing, though we did receive bonuses.

Exactly bonuses, I don't or fellow employees don't receive bonuses. We receive mandatory OT and have to report to work even during a state of emergency . Whether Blizzard or Hurricane I had to go in. That's my bonus.

If its so easy then apply. But I know you wouldn't because you wouldn't be able to hack working crazy hours or leaving the comforts of the indoors if the weather is inclement.

I'm well aware of what takes place in the private sector. I've worked in it from the time I started working around 13 years of age until I was 39. With that said I can give a fair comparison of the differences as I have worked in both blue color and white color jobs privately.

Metro North went against the norm of doing away with a 401k plan to a pension system around 10 years ago. The exact reasons I can't say but the MTA pension goes against the RRB pension (or vice versa). The RRB is the federal railroad equivalent of social insecurity.

As it has been said before, with alleged $200,000 earnings and so called elaborate pensions, some one looking from the outside in can't fathom the life style it is to work in this field. You don't see many private sector jobs that you would need to buy out of service insurance as you do here. Being it's very easy to be taken out of service, many og us buy third party out of service insurance. I, for example, pay close to $100 a month for the plan I'm in.

Exactly bonuses, I don't or fellow employees don't receive bonuses. We receive mandatory OT and have to report to work even during a state of emergency . Whether Blizzard or Hurricane I had to go in. That's my bonus.

If its so easy then apply. But I know you wouldn't because you wouldn't be able to hack working crazy hours or leaving the comforts of the indoors if the weather is inclement.

lol! I always work crazy hours. I work at least 10 hours a day sometimes more.  Last week for example I worked 10+ hours three days in a row.  Came in into the office did my usual day, then left for evening events working for the Mayor's office... Total hours in three days was almost 40 hours by itself.  Project management consists of long hours and demanding clients, so I know all about tough work.  The only difference is that I work a white collar job, but I worked a blue collar job as a project manager in construction and hated it. I belong in a white collar job... Not one that likes getting all dirty...

I'm well aware of what takes place in the private sector. I've worked in it from the time I started working around 13 years of age until I was 39. With that said I can give a fair comparison of the differences as I have worked in both blue color and white color jobs privately.

Metro North went against the norm of doing away with a 401k plan to a pension system around 10 years ago. The exact reasons I can't say but the MTA pension goes against the RRB pension (or vice versa). The RRB is the federal railroad equivalent of social insecurity.

As it has been said before, with alleged $200,000 earnings and so called elaborate pensions, some one looking from the outside in can't fathom the life style it is to work in this field. You don't see many private sector jobs that you would need to buy out of service insurance as you do here. Being it's very easy to be taken out of service, many og us buy third party out of service insurance. I, for example, pay close to $100 a month for the plan I'm in.

Very interesting... So are you alleging that a $200,000 salary isn't good by today's standards because one usually has to pay $100 a month for an insurance plan? lol I think those of us in the private sector pay FAR more than that.

lol! I always work crazy hours. I work at least 10 hours a day sometimes more. Last week for example I worked 10+ hours three days in a row...... Total hours in three days was almost 40 hours by itself.

Very interesting... So are you alleging that a $200,000 salary isn't good by today's standards because one usually has to pay $100 a month for an insurance plan? lol I think those of us in the private sector pay FAR more than that.

10+ hour days, 3 days in a row does not impress me. Try being on the extra list, get called at 1:30 am to report at 3:30. Work until 11:30 am. Then as your about to sit down to dinner with the family get called at 5:30pm to be back at 7:30 and work until 4 the next morning. Then be back at noon that day and so on.

So it seems the media has you brain washed. It's not a $200k job! It's 4+ years of back pay tied into that number. But you can believe what you want. I'm also sure you don't get suspended without pay for doing your job that you would need out of service insurance (totally separate from any medical insurance contributions). Example, where a conductor was taken out for asking a passenger to take her feet off the seat. Passenger complained and the company removed the conductor for 3 days. Or your charged with a violation that is not your fault, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and you get 30 days with out question.

You can judge all you want. Work 30 days here then get back to me.

10+ hour days, 3 days in a row does not impress me. Try being on the extra list, get called at 1:30 am to report at 3:30. Work until 11:30 am. Then as your about to sit down to dinner with the family get called at 5:30pm to be back at 7:30 and work until 4 the next morning. Then be back at noon that day and so on.

So it seems the media has you brain washed. It's not a $200k job! It's 4+ years of back pay tied into that number. But you can believe what you want. I'm also sure you don't get suspended without pay for doing your job that you would need out of service insurance (totally separate from any medical insurance contributions). Example, where a conductor was taken out for asking a passenger to take her feet off the seat. Passenger complained and the company removed the conductor for 3 days. Or your charged with a violation that is not your fault, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and you get 30 days with out question.

I used an example, but my work day is certainly over 8 hours a day, not including working on weekends when needed.  Such is life with project management and running your own department.  You work with the public so things like that will happen.  It comes with the territory.  Additionally, you are paid overtime.  Salaried workers that earn well usually don't receive overtime.  You are expected to work as long as you need to in order to get your work done.

I'm not brain washed by the media. I never said anything about the back pay.  I talked specifically about the overtime. I'm just looking at the situation as someone who works in the private sector, which has changed dramatically, making workers more efficient.  Meanwhile the (MTA) continues to be bogged down with pensions and other expensive overhead costs.  The fact that you pay a paltry $100.00 a month for coverage is quite amazing.  Try and see what you would pay in the private sector especially with "Osama" care as a young professional like myself.  Additionally, having a family, you get nice tax breaks that young professionals like myself don't get.  My tax guy always laughs when I come and talks about how folks like us are taken to the bank by NY State.  

I'm not brain washed by the media. I never said anything about the back pay. I talked specifically about the overtime. I'm just looking at the situation as someone who works in the private sector, which has changed dramatically, making workers more efficient. Meanwhile the (MTA) continues to be bogged down with pensions and other expensive overhead costs. The fact that you pay a paltry $100.00 a month for coverage is quite amazing. Try and see what you would pay in the private sector especially with "Osama" care as a young professional like myself. Additionally, having a family, you get nice tax breaks that young professionals like myself don't get. My tax guy always laughs when I come and talks about how folks like us are taken to the bank by NY State.

I'm aware you never said anything about back pay which is my very point. You statement regarding a $200k salary is short sighted as that amount is a one time shot as it includes 4 years of back pay.

Second, I don't know what Obamacare (or any other medical coverage) has to do with out of service insurance since it has nothing to do with the medical I pay for healthcare. But since you brought it up, what would someone in the private sector pay for out of service insurance? Anything I've done prior to the railroad doesn't have it with the associated fields.

I'm aware you never said anything about back pay which is my very point. You statement regarding a $200k salary is short sighted as that amount is a one time shot as it includes 4 years of back pay.

Second, I don't know what Obamacare (or any other medical coverage) has to do with out of service insurance since it has nothing to do with the medical I pay for healthcare. But since you brought it up, what would someone in the private sector pay for out of service insurance? Anything I've done prior to the railroad doesn't have it with the associated fields.

The article includes the fact that employees received back pay so there really is no need to discuss that part.  I see what you are doing. You are trying to justify the salaries.  It's downright laughable, and then you sit back and give this sob story as if folks are slaving and being forced to work all of that overtime.  Sure some of it is mandatory but I don't believe all of it is.  At the end of the day $200,000 is still $200,000 any way you slice it.

As for insurance, all I will say is that I pay double what I used to pay for the same plan at my old company, and it certainly isn't a $100 a month either.  

I'm not trying to justify anything as I'm not the one implying that they make as much as they really do.

Regardless, I pay much more for medical likewise, but then again I never brought medical into the picture. You still have yet to answer my question regarding how much "out of service" insurance is in your field.

Overtime for things like special events or an overall shortage of people is one thing, but lots of overtime because they're "covering for absent coworkers" or for staying during "frequent service disruptions" is unacceptable, and should be minimized whenever possible.

But businesses in the private sector do not to any of this with taxpayer money.   When your company receives substantial governmental subsidies, you're rightly expected to play by different rules.  If the various agencies wanted to become financially solvent on their own to the point where they no longer require taxpayer subsidies, they could do whatever they wanted and I wouldn't care.  But until then...

The transportation agencies do not have a monopoly on difficult jobs.  You're far from the only person working on holidays, during severe weather, or outside of normal working hours.  There's been many times I've been in my office or at a hospital into the early hours of the morning, during storms, or on Thanksgiving or Christmas, and I do that because it's what's best for the people I work for, not because I'm getting paid overtime (because I don't).

HINT      "Out of service insurance" has nothing to do with health insurance, medical insurance, or Obamacare. If you're going to argue at least understand what the other side is saying. Carry on.

Out of service insurance is secondary insurance that pays out when people are removed from service without pay for failing to follow the rules that they are expected to follow.  It's entirely voluntary and not necessary if one follows the rules.

Did the conductor in this example ask the passenger in a polite, courteous, and customer-friendly way?  Probably not, which is why the passenger complained.  The conductor shouldn't be enforcing things that aren't against the rules.  If you don't like the rules you're expected to follow, perhaps you should find a different line of work...

I'm not trying to justify anything as I'm not the one implying that they make as much as they really do.

Regardless, I pay much more for medical likewise, but then again I never brought medical into the picture. You still have yet to answer my question regarding how much "out of service" insurance is in your field.

HINT      "Out of service insurance" has nothing to do with health insurance, medical insurance, or Obamacare. If you're going to argue at least understand what the other side is saying. Carry on.

Why would I discuss something that doesn't exist for me?  You get suspended and get another chance.  The private sector isn't as forgiving.  A major screw up and I'm fired.  That's that.  I don't have a "union" to back me up. <_< I run my own department so I get a yearly review (which I just had) about how much money I'm bringing in and what I plan on doing to keep my department profitable, and contribute to the profitability of the company overall.  My bonus is based on performance, and overtime is expected (and not paid for).  For as much whining as you guys do, you have it pretty good.  That example that Truckie keeps using about being suspended for asking a passenger to remove their feet from the chair isn't something that I think occurs repeatedly.

I too work in the private sector. And cant wait to leave. Im making the transition to the LIRR. From my 12 years working for a financial institution, i can only say that the company has its best interest on the company and not on the employees. I too do not have a union to back me up. But I would really have to screw up to get fired meaning I would get a second chance. As for medical, i pay a good portion for my family and I and I also have other insurance policies outside the companies policy. Which I am going to keep doing when in the LIRR. Long story short, If I do ever get to make that much described in the article. I will enjoy it to the very end with a couple of beers. 

From my 12 years working for a financial institution, i can only say that the company has its best interest on the company and not on the employees.

Don't expect much different from the railroad.  You're guilty until you prove you're innocent.

I too work in the private sector. And cant wait to leave. Im making the transition to the LIRR. From my 12 years working for a financial institution, i can only say that the company has its best interest on the company and not on the employees. I too do not have a union to back me up. But I would really have to screw up to get fired meaning I would get a second chance. As for medical, i pay a good portion for my family and I and I also have other insurance policies outside the companies policy. Which I am going to keep doing when in the LIRR. Long story short, If I do ever get to make that much described in the article. I will enjoy it to the very end with a couple of beers. 

I don't understand why in the world you would leave the private sector to work for the (MTA) .  When I interned for them it was ok, but to work for them as a career? :huh: Dunno about that.

Archived