Racks Available on S53, S93 Routes for 1-Year Pilot Testing Feasibility, Impact to Service

BreeddekalbL

http://www.mta.info/news-bikes-buses-new-york-city-transit/2015/08/31/racks-available-s53-s93-routes-1-year-pilot

NO it will be a disaster because it will increase dwell times. and now we unfortunately we have to cater to people who don't belong in this city,  i also see a lawsuit coming when some mope's bike gets totaled and will sue the TA and the city 

You know, reading these posts about the bike racks on two routes on other websites really demonstrate how people think...

You have people complaining that the money used towards bike racks on these buses should be used for increased service and new buses and trains, yet they are literally judging it off a picture. They don't even know how much a new train or bus costs compared to bike racks being installed on 38 buses. When they say that if one has a bike, then why take the bus, I just assume that they don't read the article. It was put in the S53/93 because there is no pedestrian crossing on the Verrazano Bridge, and people can't ride their bikes in S.I. when they live in Brooklyn and vice versa. Not all people have cars, which I guess is why they are doing this.

I think it is a good idea, and is not a waste of money as long as they only keep it on the routes that need it. The S53 and S93 are perfect for this, because people can't take their bikes into S.I from Brooklyn and vice versa unless they have a car, but with the bike racks it allows the option for people to ride their bikes in more places, with more views and better experiences. The stretch along the shoreline of Brooklyn is very nice for bike riding, and there are places in S.I (take Fort Wadsworth for an example) that are good for bike riding as well. I think that the bike racks are actually going to get used. 

Bike racks don't slow down commutes that much.....shit, I'm in Seattle, the city of high ridership routes, where one bus stop services 10-20 or so routes with huge crowds waiting and their entire fleet with bike racks. Bike racks just slows down the commute just by a few seconds to a minute at most.....wheelchair lifts and ramps slows down commutes more than bike racks.....some of you just over-exaggerate without experiencing it, much like one poster who keeps posting their own written articles about nothing.

This would've worked better going to/from St. George, but the S53/93? I don't think so....I don't think this will be a disaster either. Folks have been wanting this for a good while now and they've been painting bike lanes around parts of Staten Island, but the choice of routes isn't a good one imo. I think it's because there's too many routes going to St. George, so the S53/93 would've been the better candidate.

Bike racks don't slow down commutes that much.....shit, I'm in Seattle, the city of high ridership routes, where one bus stop services 10-20 or so routes with huge crowds waiting and their entire fleet with bike racks. Bike racks just slows down the commute just by a few seconds to a minute at most.....wheelchair lifts and ramps slows down commutes more than bike racks.....some of you just over-exaggerate without experiencing it, much like one poster who keeps posting their own written articles about nothing.

This would've worked better going to/from St. George, but the S53/93? I don't think so....I don't think this will be a disaster either. Folks have been wanting this for a good while now and they've been painting bike lanes around parts of Staten Island, but the choice of routes isn't a good one imo. I think it's because there's too many routes going to St. George, so the S53/93 would've been the better candidate.

Hmm... Your post makes no sense, so says the poster that complains about other posters complaining about nothing.

Cait is exactly right.

And those of you who constantly think of "dwell times," you could have 10 people at a stop with one bike rider, and the bike person could have their bike loaded before 3 of the others have paid their fare.  Just yesterday, one of my buses had three at a stop, one being a bike, and the guy had it loaded (first one, had to lower the rack as well) and at the door before the first dude even paid.  Operator had to tell #2 and Mr. Bike to "step in" so he could close the door and get rolling.

Those Sportsworks racks are more of a "premium" rack.  MTA probably got a good bargain (since it being a "trial"), but ours are getting changed out to hold 3 per rack, the current 2-per racks are still good with around 5-6 years of use; guessing ours are getting changed out for far less than those Sportsworks 2-ers.

Let me throw some of you into a complete spaz attack:

Sportsworks has indoor hang-racks like on trains, and some TAs have them installed on their artics.  Could just imagine some of you if that idea was floated for a test.

Cait is exactly right.

And those of you who constantly think of "dwell times," you could have 10 people at a stop with one bike rider, and the bike person could have their bike loaded before 3 of the others have paid their fare.  Just yesterday, one of my buses had three at a stop, one being a bike, and the guy had it loaded (first one, had to lower the rack as well) and at the door before the first dude even paid.  Operator had to tell #2 and Mr. Bike to "step in" so he could close the door and get rolling.

Those Sportsworks racks are more of a "premium" rack.  MTA probably got a good bargain (since it being a "trial"), but ours are getting changed out to hold 3 per rack, the current 2-per racks are still good with around 5-6 years of use; guessing ours are getting changed out for far less than those Sportsworks 2-ers.

Sportsworks has indoor hang-racks like on trains, and some TAs have them installed on their artics.  Could just imagine some of you if that idea was floated for a test.

There's this one guy who would get on the BxM4 express bus with one that folded up along the Grand Concourse nonetheless.  Extremely annoying and time consuming. Either ride the damn bike or take the bus.  Simple as that.

There's this one guy who would get on the BxM4 express bus with one that folded up along the Grand Concourse nonetheless.  Extremely annoying and time consuming. Either ride the damn bike or take the bus.  Simple as that.

If the guy's having that much of a problem with a folding bike, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

Anyway, hilarious how these little things -- affecting routes which you don't even use (local buses are NOT your friend, not hard to discern from your posts here) -- put such a bug up your butt.  Gladys Kravitz of the bus system.  Not a personal attack, so don't even entertain that idea.

Just an observation. ^_^

If the guy's having that much of a problem with a folding bike, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

Anyway, hilarious how these little things -- affecting routes which you don't even use (local buses are NOT your friend, not hard to discern from your posts here) -- put such a bug up your butt.  Gladys Kravitz of the bus system.  Not a personal attack, so don't even entertain that idea.

Just an observation. ^_^

I am an express bus rider first and foremost, but I occasionally use the local bus as well when I don't feel like walking though I am not dependent upon them and now and days only use them in Manhattan on weekends if that.  I used to use the S53 and S93 here and there to get the express bus when I lived on Staten Island and didn't want to deal with car service, so I'm quite familiar with both lines.  The S53 can be quite slow with so many stops and I fear that this would just make things worse.  

Hmm... Your post makes no sense, so says the poster that complains about other posters complaining about nothing.

Nice nitpicking, jackass(we all know you do this when you have no argument). Your lack of reading comprehension is evident.

As I stated, in MY opinion, this would've worked better on routes going to/from St. George, I'm sure planners felt the same way. But considering you have a lot of routes going to/from St. George, they chose the S53/93 to be a better candidate over the St. George routes because it's one direct route from one major hub to another, along with attracting the college students who use their bikes to utilize the racks...

Nice nitpicking, jackass. Or maybe perhaps your lack of reading comprehension is evident.

As I stated, in MY opinion, this would've worked better on routes going to/from St. George, I'm sure planners felt the same way. But considering you have a lot of routes going to/from St. George, they chose the S53/93 to be a better candidate over the St. George routes because it's one direct route from one major hub to another.

My reading comprehension is just fine now that you've clarified yourself.  :D

If other folks understood what I said, your reading comprehension clearly sucks balls.

Lmfao.

Well, I understood that completely the first time, Wasn't so hard to understand.

They should also place bike racks on the Q50, they used to be there when the route was the QBx1

How was the setup on those buses, were the bike racks outside the bus? I remember Queens bus maps saying that too, when QSC ran it.

Cait is exactly right.

That's an interesting concept, but I think ridership levels are too high for that. I mean, sure you'll probably get some people using it, but it'll inconvenience other people too. I think outside racks should be fine as it is though, I have no problem with those types of racks.

While we're on the topic of the S53/S93, I haven't seen one CSI student using a bike.  They must be all phantoms.  If anything they just pile on the S62 and S93 or other Victory Blvd buses along with the S53.  I lived on Staten Island for years.  I don't see much changing out there. Folks like their cars, period.  

There are many reasons why one could not take a bike the whole way on a round trip. Maybe there's inclement weather. Maybe the bus stop itself is too far to walk to but the commuting distance is too far to bike. Maybe getting to the express bus stop requires too many transfers, or an infrequent bus, and it'd be easier to bike that leg of the trip. Maybe for a good portion of the trip, there's no legal bike route (like say, the Verrazano.) Either way, literally every other major transit agency in the US already does this and has no problem with it, even in cities with significantly higher bike commuting levels (Portland, Seattle, SF come to mind), so there's no reason why we can't.

Archived