September 2015 Bus Route and Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

Route Change:

BxM1: Buses from The Bronx via the Major Deegan operate now via the Madison Avenue Bridge and the BxM3/BxM4 route until 96 Street, then on 96 Street to Lexington.

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm1cur.pdf

BxM2: Buses operate to/from The Bronx along 5/Madison Avenues and along the Madison Avenue bridge (north of 96 Street).

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm2cur.pdf

Route Change:

BxM1: Buses from Riverdale via the Major Deegan operate now via the Madison Avenue Bridge and the BxM3/BxM4 route until 96 Street, then on 96 Street to Lexington.

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm1cur.pdf

BxM2: Buses operate to/from Riverdale along 5/Madison Avenues and along the Madison Avenue bridge (north of 96 Street).

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm2cur.pdf

That's not a route change.  They've been doing going that way to and from Riverdale for YEARS. Really not a big deal.... Same deal with the BxM18. If traffic is really bad the BxM18 and BxM3 will also go via Inwood. 

That's not a route change.  They've been doing going that way to and from Riverdale for YEARS. Really not a big deal.... Same deal with the BxM18. If traffic is really bad the BxM18 and BxM3 will also go via Inwood. 

Well it was never official for Manhattan-bound BxM1's and both Manhattan and Bronx-bound BxM2's to use those routings. Just recently it's on the printed schedule.

Well it was never official for Manhattan-bound BxM1's and both Manhattan and Bronx-bound BxM2's to use those routings. Just recently it's on the printed schedule.

That may be the case but all they did was make it official because they use that routing far more than the old "official" routing. Unlike SI express buses, they have the option of using different ways for the non pick-up segment, so they'll take whatever way they think works best at the time.  I never understood the old official routing because it took longer even without traffic to get over to the RFK just to go the same way. So stupid.  This is a bit more streamlined.  The 5th Avenue routing would be much quicker if that stupid park wasn't there with the damn lights. It was much quicker before that, but they put lights everywhere, plus made the damn lanes smaller with yet more pedestrian space when you already have the park right there.

The real change is in the schedules.  Those have been drastically changed in terms of the run times, which I discussed in another thread.  They actually are closer to the times that buses arrive in Manhattan.

The Bronx Bus Map has been updated. Revisions include:

1. A purple Bx24.

2. A bright green Q50.

3. The Bx5 extension has a "part-time" red line.

4. The BxM1/2 changes on the front and back.

5. The cover is a brand-new design.

I really wish they chose better colors for the Q44 and the Q50. They both clash with the express bus (BxM6 and BxM7 respectively, however, the BxM6 line was modified) colors. Just my opinion.

Did anyone see the Q44 is now dark blue, preparing for SBS

It was probably just a coincidence. 

They didn't make the headways like that just because.  The X21 has become very popular and crowding was a problem, hence the headways in the morning.

I don't see why there has to be a 15 minute headways, followed by a random 20 minute gap, 15 minute gap, then 10 minute gap. I don't see the point of that. Does ridership suddenly drop during that hour and back up? Otherwise, a uniform 15 minute headway would've been ideal over the current headway.

I don't see why there has to be a 15 minute headways, followed by a random 20 minute gap, 15 minute gap, then 10 minute gap. I don't see the point of that. Does ridership suddenly drop during that hour and back up? Otherwise, a uniform 15 minute headway would've been ideal over the current headway.

Don't they have to stagger/coordinate the arrivals in Manhattan between the routes so there's no stacking?  Granted, traffic issues inbound could make that planning pointless, but I was under the impression that's why those timings were done.  They do it like that around here so that downtown Detroit stops shared between routes don't have a bus traffic jam.

As a former Staten Islander who has rode at various hours on various lines I get it.  Some trips can be quite crowded and others not so, but crowded enough to warrant sticking in another bus or you would have SRO conditions. For example, I was shocked that the first X30 out was packed.  When I had meetings early in the morning, I would get that bus and it gets you in around 07:00 or so (give or take depending on traffic, etc.).  On Staten Island in particular you have a lot of folks that work for the city or work in positions that have early hours (dare I say strange hours).  One company I worked at had such hours and I had several Staten Islanders from the South Shore that took the express bus in. One guy got the X7 in from Great Kills and another lived down in Princes Bay, but I believe she drove to the SIR and took the ferry to the subway most of the time.  They're simply trying to match demand and keep loads under control and while 15 minute headways makes sense on paper, it sometimes doesn't work out in reality.  Remember the X21 goes via NJ so they are very strict about scheduling buses so that there aren't any standees.

Don't they have to stagger/coordinate the arrivals in Manhattan between the routes so there's no stacking?  Granted, traffic issues inbound could make that planning pointless, but I was under the impression that's why those timings were done.  They do it like that around here so that downtown Detroit stops shared between routes don't have a bus traffic jam.

That doesn't happen in NYC because too much service that even if there was a clear way of coordinating service, you would still have several buses arriving at the same stop at the same time. They just schedule it in any order. SI local routes from the ferry however are coordinated to arrive after the ferry. On buses which there are branches or variation, they are often spaced so that's there's an even headway on the main portion of the routing. That is not always the case, however. 

They should've made it an even 15 minutes throughout the AM (moving the 7:05 and 7:20 buses 5 minutes up) instead of that uneven headway.

Why? What would it solve..... Serious question.

Express bus ridership on the more highly used express bus routes come in droves at a particular/specific time instance; it's not evenly spread out at all..... Even headways on high ridership express routes, I find, tends to discourage usage (especially if you're on the butt-end of a route; meaning, closest to manhattan in w/e outerborough you're boarding at, on an inbound trip)... SI has always had a problem with that anyway; Do I even have to mention Narrows/Fingerboard during the AM rush! Similar situation at Lily pond/McClean also, but not as voluminous.....

There is this belief that even headways = equal passenger distribution.....

We (myself included) should step back for a second & realize even headways isn't always best.... You have to look at it on a route-route basis....

I'll stop there, since I don't know the situation w/ the x21 (other than, the popularity with the route came out of nowhere/is well received out there in SI) - Which makes sense, since it doesn't mean having to board a 17j in the morning making 50 million stops along richmond, or an x1 making the same amount of stops (lol) along hylan (even with all the other hylan variants) - then through lwr. manhattan if your destination is midtown.....

.....Remember the X21 goes via NJ so they are very strict about scheduling buses so that there aren't any standees.

Too bad they still have 17J's (at least) during the evening w/ standees on them.... and it has been like that since god knows when....

Guess standees going back to SI is permissable! I don't see how NJT riders put up with that either; no f***ing way I'm standing up from PABT to old bridge p&r (which is about an hour)..... Screw that....

Matter fact, the last time I took a 319 (about a year or so ago), this guy just HAD to get on that particular trip (long story I don't feel like typing right now)... SOB was the only standee on the bus, and worse, he was hovering (standing) by the bathroom door - so everyone that had to take a piss for that 90 min. ride to Toms River had to maneuver around his hostile ass.... I'm surprised PAPD wasn't summoned....

Standees on express routes. Well damn I would never stand up on a express bus because the express bus is suppose to be for comfort and plus what if the bus gets caught up in traffic and I am standing for a long time. I don't mind standing on the subway or the local/limited bus because I will at most be standing for like 20 minutes so that is not bad.

Oh yeah so the X1 is the first and only express route with overnight service do people use it between 12-5AM and if so on average how many people per trip?

Standees on express routes. Well damn I would never stand up on a express bus because the express bus is suppose to be for comfort and plus what if the bus gets caught up in traffic and I am standing for a long time. I don't mind standing on the subway or the local/limited bus because I will at most be standing for like 20 minutes so that is not bad.

Oh yeah so the X1 is the first and only express route with overnight service do people use it between 12-5AM and if so on average how many people per trip?

idk about over night but i do remember taking a SI bound bus at 6 am and it was packed 

I think you're not suppose to have standees on the express buses unless it's the last trip. Despite that, I've seen that happen on the X63 and X68 before. Haven't seen that anymore though.

Wow I never seen standees on any QV express route. Hell I never seen one packed so I'm surprised at one point you saw standees.

How did they add nine AM trips when the new schedule has only eight?

They should've made it an even 15 minutes throughout the AM (moving the 7:05 and 7:20 buses 5 minutes up) instead of that uneven headway.

Maybe those are second trips that need enough running time to return.

Speaking of standees, what is the official MTA policy on having standees on EXP routes?

News to me if they even have one!

B/O's certainly don't enforce it (then again, it's not like NJT where he/she can easily tell how many riders are on the bus).... I've been on my fair share of x1's, 17j's, and 22's that had ppl. standing on them.....When I used to fan the "via NJ" SI routes a lot, I do remember one b/o asking are there any more seats (as we got to the stop opposite PABT) - which didn't matter, because ppl. kept piling on anyway.... I believe that was a 22 that day IIRC....

Archived