How extensive are the background checks for NYC Transit?

NYCFan9553

I'm interested in taking the upcoming Conductor exam for NYC Transit. I'm a little concerned about my background and getting hired though. I have a clean criminal background. It's just this former employment blunder. I had some very kind words with my former manager for firing me. So kind, that I can't use them as a reference at all lol. If I lie about not working there, I can be found out and not hired. Or worse, I can be terminated if I'm found out after being hired. What would be the best thing to do? 

Don't lie. They can and do check things out. Their investigators are generally retired cops and have seen and heard everything. They complete the background investigation after you start working there but they reserve the right to fire you for lies and deliberate omissions intended to deceive them. There's nothing wrong with being fired. Most people have been fired from a job or two over the years. Just explain yourself briefly and honestly.

Do not lie on your application. They can and will find out, and the penalty for omitting information on your application is dismissal.

They are more concerned about your work history being complete than about necessarily calling all of your old jobs to ask how you were as an employee and asking for recommendations. It's as much to make sure you've paid all your taxes and documented all your career steps, as it is to get an idea of you as an employee and person.

Don't worry about it, but disclose everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2015 at 3:40 PM, I Run Trains said:

Make sure you have your disposition papers for EVERYTHING! And keep it 100. There's numerous ex cons here in the MTA.

+1

Get your certificates of good conduct ready and whatever evidence you think you need.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:50 AM, Daking said:

So can I fix a mistake that I made on an application 

Next time you report to them, be honest and, chances are, they'll let you fix it, especially if you're in the early stages of the employment process.

I got hired for MNR but I assume it's mostly the same process.

The first background investigation they'll ask you to complete is employment/education. Put everything in as accurately as possible as they'll get your exact position title and work dates from your previous employer and they'll match it against what you reported. Most previous employers don't specify whether you were fired or not, reasons, etc. But still, be honest. I was honest and told them I was involuntarily terminated from my previous job (even though they didn't tell them or give any reasons), with the exact reasons, and still got hired. Being honest goes a long way with MTA, lying is a sure-fire way to end any possibility of landing a job with them.

Once you pass that stage, you'll wait a little longer until they're ready to hire more people for the position. At that stage, you'll be asked to complete ANOTHER background investigation, which checks on your criminal history. Again, be completely honest. I know a couple ex-convicts who work with me, so having a record isn't a dead-end. I had no history so it wasn't an issue, but I can't speak for others. All I can tell you is to be honest - it's a very thorough investigation and they will find out if you lied. Even if a record has been sealed or expunged, they will find out, and you need to report it.

Once that's done, all you have to wait for is your offer letter, and you'll officially be an employee for one of the biggest transit agencies in the world.

Good luck!

Edited by dangernoodle

5 hours ago, dangernoodle said:

The first background investigation they'll ask you to complete is employment/education. Put everything in as accurately as possible as they'll get your exact position title and work dates from your previous employer and they'll match it against what you reported. Most previous employers don't specify whether you were fired or not, reasons, etc. But still, be honest. I was honest and told them I was involuntarily terminated from my previous job (even though they didn't tell them or give any reasons), with the exact reasons, and still got hired. Being honest goes a long way with MTA, lying is a sure-fire way to end any possibility of landing a job with them.

Once you pass that stage, you'll wait a little longer until they're ready to hire more people for the position. At that stage, you'll be asked to complete ANOTHER background investigation, which checks on your criminal history. Again, be completely honest. I know a couple ex-convicts who work with me, so having a record isn't a dead-end. I had no history so it wasn't an issue, but I can't speak for others. All I can tell you is to be honest - it's a very thorough investigation and they will find out if you lied. Even if a record has been sealed or expunged, they will find out, and you need to report it.

Once that's done, all you have to wait for is your offer letter, and you'll officially be an employee for one of the biggest transit agencies in the world.

Good luck!

What’s up Danger, any clue if they are hiring another Third Railman class anytime soon? 

Ive kinda been at a standstill since the interview 2 months ago.

8 hours ago, dangernoodle said:

Good luck!

How much longer did you have to wait after the initial background check and interview to get the criminal one? I heard they have you disclose past drug test's from employers as well. 

10 hours ago, CrazyD said:

I heard they have you disclose past drug test's from employers as well. 

As far as New York City Transit, they have you disclose past drug tests from the previous two years.

As far as LIRR and/or MNR is concerned - I honestly don't know about those agencies. Sorry...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 6:45 AM, NycHopeful718 said:

What’s up Danger, any clue if they are hiring another Third Railman class anytime soon? 

Ive kinda been at a standstill since the interview 2 months ago.

Not that I know of. Anything they're hiring for will be on the website. A lot of jobs have been taken down in light of the whole restructuring thing going on at the MTA.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:32 AM, CrazyD said:

How much longer did you have to wait after the initial background check and interview to get the criminal one? I heard they have you disclose past drug test's from employers as well. 

Interview - February
Initial BC - April
Conditional Offer & Final BC - May
Hired - June

My job isn't safety sensitive, so there isn't a physical test, which expedited the process.

According to others that I work with, I was hired extremely quickly. Others took upwards of three years.

22 minutes ago, dangernoodle said:

Not that I know of. Anything they're hiring for will be on the website. A lot of jobs have been taken down in light of the whole restructuring thing going on at the MTA.

Interview - February
Initial BC - April
Hired - June

My job isn't safety sensitive, so there isn't a physical test, which expedited the process.

According to others that I work with, I was hired extremely quickly. Others took upwards of three years.

Nice!

23 minutes ago, dangernoodle said:

Interview - February
Initial BC - April
Hired - June

How was the medical what were they looking at high blood pressure?

just found out I’m in the 130s,

gonna give up drinking and smoking for a bit. 

15 minutes ago, NycHopeful718 said:

How was the medical what were they looking at high blood pressure?

just found out I’m in the 130s, gonna give up drinking and smoking for a bit. 

As far as Blood Pressure is concerned, 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable. Anything higher or lower will result in you being placed on medical hold.

As a suggestion, have you tried sprinkling cinnamon onto your food whenever you have a meal? It always does wonders for me, especially when I'm generous with it...

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

As far as Blood Pressure is concerned, 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable. Anything higher or lower will result in you being placed on medical hold.

As a suggestion, have you tried sprinkling cinnamon onto your food whenever you have a meal? It always does wonders for me, especially when I'm generous with it...

Oh boy I’m a 132/91

guess well she how it goes this week at my

physical. 

5 minutes ago, NycHopeful718 said:

Oh boy I’m a 132/91

guess well she how it goes this week at my

physical. 

Ouch! In addition to the cinnamon, try deep breathing. In addition, the morning before the physical, I wouldn't drink or consume anything that has caffeine in it..

Keep in mind that they also check both arms.

Edited by +Young+

15 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Ouch! In addition to the cinnamon, try deep breathing. In addition, the morning before the physical, I wouldn't drink or consume anything that has caffeine in it..

Keep in mind that they also check both arms.

Got it, I’ll try my best.

any clue what documentation or clearance I can request from doctor to get ahead of this? Or is high BP a death sentence for safety sensitive positions? 

Thanks in advance. 

24 minutes ago, NycHopeful718 said:

any clue what documentation or clearance I can request from doctor to get ahead of this? Or is high BP a death sentence for safety sensitive positions?

It's not a death sentence, as long as it's "under control" then it's fine.

4 hours ago, NycHopeful718 said:

Got it, I’ll try my best.

Thanks in advance. 

Get a note from your doctor and include it with your forms and a written explanation from yourself.

I've heard of people getting rejected from safety sensitive positions for some ridiculous reasons (OSHA compliance, of course), but you have nothing to lose. I don't think high blood pressure is an automatic DQ.

If things go south after getting hired, you can always bid for a non-safety sensitive position - most of which pay a lot more.

Edited by dangernoodle

1 hour ago, dangernoodle said:

Get a note from your doctor and include it with your forms and a written explanation from yourself.

I've heard of people getting rejected from safety sensitive positions for some ridiculous reasons (OSHA compliance, of course), but you have nothing to lose. I don't think high blood pressure is an automatic DQ.

If things go south after getting hired, you can always bid for a non-safety sensitive position - most of which pay a lot more.

The doctor already signed off on a physical release form that was required by Metro North this week stating I’m cleared to complete the Physical. 

I have another week or two, until the exam so I will lay off cigarettes, alcohol and start to exercise until the day of.  

I was at 132/91 I just need it to read a little better. 

8 minutes ago, NycHopeful718 said:

I have another week or two, until the exam so I will lay off cigarettes, alcohol and start to exercise until the day of. 

I was at 132/91 I just need it to read a little better. 

And, if I was you, try to incorporate cinnamon into your diet, and be generous! As a result of donating blood earlier today, and being generous with the cinnamon the past couple of days, my B/P was 124/80!!

Edited by +Young+