R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

NYCTF Exclusive!!

The MTA is now in the final stages of a firm design configuration for the R211 which will be delivered in 3 versions. A standard BMT/IND configuration, along with a SIR  configuration, and a 10 car open-gangway prototype.

If the open-gangway prototype is sucessful, MTA will then move to implement the configuration with the new design in the future.

Award of the R211 contract is now expected for this year, and word is Bombardier will definitely bid on the contract alongside Kawasaki.

The R211 design will be a departure from the basic design we are used to with the R143/160/179. This will be the most futuristic, as well as advanced train MTA has aquired to date. The R211 will also be the basis for the next generation of NYC Transit Subway trains for the future. MTA now expects delivery of the R211 to begin right after the R179 procurement has completed delivery.

Just give it to Kawasaki already, I've had enough of Bombardier's nonsense...

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYCTF Exclusive!!

The MTA is now in the final stages of a firm design configuration for the R211 which will be delivered in 3 versions. A standard BMT/IND configuration, along with a SIR  configuration, and a 10 car open-gangway prototype.

If the open-gangway prototype is sucessful, MTA will then move to implement the configuration with the new design in the future.

Award of the R211 contract is now expected for this year, and word is Bombardier will definitely bid on the contract alongside Kawasaki.

The R211 design will be a departure from the basic design we are used to with the R143/160/179. This will be the most futuristic, as well as advanced train MTA has aquired to date. The R211 will also be the basis for the next generation of NYC Transit Subway trains for the future. MTA now expects delivery of the R211 to begin right after the R179 procurement has completed delivery.

Firstly, what would be different with the SIR configuration.

Also, what would be different in the R211 design, that would be a departure from the NTT design?

Thanks for the update!

If Bombardier can get their situations together and organized then I'm all for it. It's like Lance said, Bombardier despite their lackluster deadlines have managed to produce "workhorse" subway fleets to the New York subway system alas the R62As & R142s. The R211s could be a joint-venture production with both Bombardier & Kawasaki similar to how Kawasaki did the R160s with Alstom.

As far as the R211s design departure from current NTTs, I to would like to know the differences. The R211s are promoted to be the first of the newer generation of subway cars for the future, so we probably might see a similar design concept for future A Division cars once the  R62/As are set for retirement, but that's still a long way ahead.

Judging by the renderings the MTA put out recently, the interiors does kinda have the look and feel of the R160s or R179s for that matter, but the end bonnet side of the train looks interesting when the sign route is on the right side similar to how the SMEEs R46 & R68s have them. That could be the new concept going forward and they should finally do away with the "millennium" look that the R142/As, R143, R160, and now R179s carry.

Firstly, what would be different with the SIR configuration.

Also, what would be different in the R211 design, that would be a departure from the NTT design?

Thanks for the update!

Other than it being the most technologically advanced train we have ever had, I haven't the slighest clue. We need to wait until the train has reached a firm design configuration before we will know any details. All we know as of now is the train will have a new look, and will feature FIND information displays. It will of course come CBTC ready as the 6th and 8th Avenue lines will be upgraded in the future.

Isin't there already an R211 Discussion Thread?

Yeah, but there's a purpose why this version was created. 

The reason this thread was not merged with previous R211 discussions, is because everything you thought you knew about this program, just isn't so anymore. 

Also, I wonder what car number the 211's are gonna have. 

Also, I wonder what car number the 211's are gonna have. 

R32 3348, 3350–3949

R38 3950–4149

R40 4150–4349

R40A 4350–4549

R42 4550–4949

R44 5202–5479

R46 5482–6207, Even #s 6208 – 6258

R68 2500–2924

R68A 5001–5200

R143 8101–8312

R160 8313–9974

R179 3001-3300

R211 3301–4315?

Edited by Union Tpke

Thanks, four months later I don't know if I would of ever figured it out by myself by now (sarcasm)

R32 3348, 3350–3949

R38 3950–4149

R40 4150–4349

R40A 4350–4549

R42 4550–4949

R44 5202–5479

R46 5482–6207, Even #s 6208 – 6258[/size]

R68 2500–2924

R68A 5001–5200

R143 8101–8312

R160 8313–9974

R179 3001-3300

R211 3301–4315?

They just renumber the signs off of old trains?

yes. They do

ame="TheNewYorkElevated" post="868807" timestamp="1455542754"]Yeah, but there's a purpose why this version was created. 

Thanks, four months later I don't know if I would of ever figured it out by myself by now (sarcasm)

They just renumber the signs off of old trains?

Yes. They don't go to five digit car numbers.

• 1 month later...

MTA has "internally" issued the preliminary assignments for the R211. However, they have directly stated that they may do some shuffling depending on where all the R179's end up.

Effective March 16, 2016 the assignment is as follows:

(A), (F), (R), (T), (SIR)

The shuffling that the TA is in talks of, is possibly shifting some R143's to the (J), and sending some new R211's to the (L). Or keeping all the R143's on the (L) and shifting some R160's to the (J) in place of 211's. Again this is preliminary even though confirmed. MTA could change this 5 times by the time the actual trains are delivered.

MTA has pretty much frozen the design of the new train, and will move forward with the next phase in a few weeks. Next they will issue RFP's, and see who has what to offer. MTA is trying to full-proof this procurement do there will not be any unnecessary delays. 

Edited by East New York

MTA has "internally" issued the preliminary assignments for the R211. However, they have directly stated that they may do some shuffling depending on where all the R179's end up.

(A), (F), (Q), (R), (T), (SIR)

The shuffling that the TA is in talks of, is possibly shifting some R143's to the (J), and sending some new R211's to the (L). Or keeping all the R143's on the (L) and shifting some R160's to the (J) in place of 211's. Again this is preliminary even though confirmed. MTA could change this 5 times by the time the actual trains are delivered.

MTA has pretty much frozen the design of the new train, and will move forward with the next phase in a few weeks. Next they will issue RFP's, and see who has what to offer. MTA is trying to full-proof this procurement do there will not be any unnecessary delays. 

Ooo! The (Q) is getting some? And there are enough cars in the order for the (T) or is that an option in the contract?

(A), (F), (R), (T), (SIR)

In terms of frozen the design, will the train have the new look?

Thanks for the updates!

Cool. Is is still 33 trains for the (T) or has that changed from when the EIS came out to now?

As of right now, yes.

In terms of frozen the design, will the train have the new look?

Thanks for the updates!

Yes, the concept has been posted.

What about Rk (S)

Its the same at the (A) as it always has been.

Wait, how would R211's be able to run on the (L)? Are they going to be some cars in 4-car sets?

Probably means R179

179 is what it's supposed to be.

Isn't it too soon to start assigning equipment to the (T)? That's phase 3 (below 63rd), and I don't even hear that being forecasted yet. Now, they seem to be saying phase 2 will face delays. So that will be more decades.

You would have to ask the RTO guys that question. Fact is that the R179 order includes cars specifically for the (T), and the TA is preparing contracts for Phase 2 as we speak, so I'm not sure where the delay rumors are coming from.

Edited by East New York

As of right now, yes.

Yes, the concept has been posted.

You would have to ask the RTO guys that question. Fact is that the R179 order includes cars specifically for the (T), and the TA is preparing contracts for Phase 2 as we speak, so I'm not sure where the delay rumors are coming from.

1. Where has the concept been posted?

2. I think he is referring to the fact that the Capital Program that would pay for it is still unfunded.

1. Where has the concept been posted?

2. I think he is referring to the fact that the Capital Program that would pay for it is still unfunded.

The concept has been on many recent MTA CPOC documents.

EDIT: example image below (if this is old, it may be altered only a little, as the design was said to have been "frozen")

R211-MTA-Open-Gangway-Subway-Car-Renderi

Edited by RTS9000

This month's NYCT board meeting talks more about the R211. It's mainly just fleshing out the arrangement of cars:

- The MTA is looking to issue RFPs (request for proposals)

- The 940 cars for the B Division would be split into a base of 565 cars and an option of 375.

- So the base would include 565 cars for the B Division (referred to as R211A) as well as the 75 cars for SIR (R211S) and the open gangway prototype cars (R211T).

- The first option would include 375 R211A cars. (All this in the 2015-19 capital program)

- The second option would include anywhere from 280 to 520 cars to probably be ordered in the next capital program. 

Here's the link, on page 123.

Edited by Mysterious2train

As far as ENY's assignment why can't the lines use whatever is available?

Let's say it's 2022 and the all R179's are here. Technically all those lines should be able to use any equipment at ENY. The R160's should all have whatever that special program the (L) uses already installed on it. What would be stopping the (M) from using R143's in the future? The (J) runs a few sets. Wasn't the R143's suffering from high mileage so it would make sense to get more of them off the (L) and onto other lines. This of course would mean the remaining R160s would have to be modified to run on the (L).